Which is your favorite current HAL ship and why?

AndreaB

I wish I could answer the Prinsendam as I lived her size, classic decor, intimate feeling, elevated service  and ability to travel to unique ports. But since I’m going to follow the rules I set up,  my current favorite is the Koningsdam. While she is a bit bigger than I would like and I miss the wrap around promenade deck, the decor is lovely, the food options are varied, each of the many specialty restaurants are great and the varied music selection venues are fun. Also, the design of the staterooms, especially the showers, is very well done - yay no more water all over the floor. (But I will continue to hope for that new Prinsendam.)

Andrea

Colorado

• Like 1

Zuiderdam. Or Oosterdam or Westerdam. I love the Vistas for the corner afts and the wonderful hydro pool. (Haven't been on Noordam) 

I don't usually bother with the upsell restaurants, so I don't need to move up in size to the NA or Edam. Don't like the K. And I wish people would stop talking about the wonderful showers on the K because the showers I had in a Neptune (aft and midship)  on K were small. I would happily trade the tub in a NS for one of the showers that the veranda cabins get! 

R and S are nice ships, but the balconies are premium prices and the spas don't have a hydropool. 

• Like 1

For me it's really close between the Amsterdam and Zaandam; I like the size, unlike the S class I like the fact that with 3 stairways there are no dead end  corridors, and they are the ships I've sailed most.  I have too little experience on the Volendam to judge and for some reason Rotterdam didn't really impress me that much(I'll have to admit that the time I was looking forward to the Prinsendam).   I can't really say but for me the Zaandam has a SLIGHT edge.

I'll add that I've sailed all except the Signatures, Noordam, and Zuiderdam (booked on Zuiderdam).

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

In the past my favorite ship was the Rotterdam because I tend to favor the ships I have the best memories and interesting cruises. The Rotterdam was the first ship that took us to the Med and Egypt.  But now my favorite is the Nieuw Statendam for a few other reasons.  After 39 days aboard her this past fall, there are many good memories (renewal of our wedding vows with Captain O'Driscoll,  the best cabin stewards we've had in over 25 cruises, and excellent service in all locations).  But also we prefer the larger ships now because of the Tamarind and Music Walk.  I do miss the older ships' promenade decks and indoor movie theaters, but feel that the good outweighs the bad with the NS. 

Tough question since my favourite has left the fleet 😞 

I’ve had some pretty awesome cruises on the Rotterdam and the Westerdam but I’m hoping my new favourite ships are the Zuiderdam and the Noordam since they are my next two ships. 😉 

We've now been on nine different HAL ships, and until two weeks ago I probably would have said the Amsterdam. But we just got off the Oosterdam, and were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful it was, and how much more spacious the "SS" suites were compared to the non-Neptune suites on the smaller ships. We loved it so much that we booked a 28 night transpacific sailing (Sydney to Seattle) on the Oosterdam---also an SS suite---in April of 2021.

Hi, 

This is an interesting thread. I haven't taken a Holland America cruise since 2009, but I have two Holland America cruises booked for 2020. I cruised aboard the former Rotterdam in 1992 and the Veendam (when it was brand new) in 1996. Between 2006 and 2009, I cruised aboard the Westerdam, Eurodam and Zuiderdam. For 2020, I am booked on the Nieuw Statendam and Amsterdam. I realize that these are very different ships, but I am glad to read that they are listed by some people as favorites. 

Chuck

We had very good experiences on the Volendam (1-wk) & Zaandam (2-wk) cruises in Alaska and also 2-wk Zaandam around Cape Horn. But dr'spin likes a little larger ship so we have found our sweet-spot with the Vista class: Zuiderdam transAtlantic last spring and Oosterdam & Zuiderdam in 2020 per my signature. 

So answer is Zuiderdam for now but that may change after 28-days on the O-dam. Why, I guess, just the size: big enough for a smooth ride and to have enough venues to move around and not get bored! 

10 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

And I wish people would stop talking about the wonderful showers on the K because the showers I had in a Neptune (aft and midship)  on K were small. I would happily trade the tub in a NS for one of the showers that the veranda cabins get! 

Totally agree.  For that reason, alone, I would not get another Neptune Suite on a Pinnacle-class ship.  Much preferred the verandah shower.

Having said that, however, the Koningsdam is my favorite ship at the moment.

I too would have to say the Koningsdam.  The tamarind with serene views is amazing. Sorry cunarder, but loved the showers.  Just made sure to book a big balcony or I knew I would miss the bigger promenades.   Though both the Westerdam and Zuiderdam were lovely and the Noordam should be too after dry dock.   We also enjoyed the Rotterdam very much a number of years ago.  

Edited by bennybear

Our best HAL ship is any HAL ship we happen to be fortunate enough to be on.......

.....but the Nieuw Statendam is our favorite.....with the Koningsdam right there with her....and we are excited to one day board their younger sister, the Ryndam.

Why?

I can snag a balcony at a decent price.....we love walking the promenade and sundeck.....gym is top notch.....and the hydro suites rule......easy to get around....music walk esp billboard onboard rocks.....staff is top notch.....food and service in the MDR never failed us....and on and on and on......

We've been on her twice already....we are a fan.

Cruise on!

• Like 1

We've only sailed on 3 so far.  As of now our best of the 3 is the NA and we have another cruise set for Feb on her.  We like it because the size of the Verandah cabins are slightly larger than the NS.  We have to agree that it would be great if it had a Dutch Cafe on it. 

NS was nice and enjoyed the pea soup from the Dutch Cafe.   Our first HAL cruise was on the MS Amsterdam and we liked the smaller crowds.  We sailed prior to a retrofit and it felt like an older ship.    So, I guess we've loved all the HAL ships we sailed and looking at doing others depending on ports of call. 

All of the Vista and Signature ships, perfect size, great design with wonderful decor and of course the classic promenade deck with the wooden steamer chairs. Excellent food and sevice but that goes for all HAL ships.

Edited by MISTER 67