Check in vs Embarkation?

urshula

Hi all. First time cruiser here. I'm setting sail on an MSC Caribbean Cruise on Monday January 13. The cruise departs at 6 (18:00), so I booked a flight that lands in Miami at 2:03 thinking I'd be fine. I just checked my ticket and for some reason it says check in closes at 3:00 (15:00) instead of 4.

Is there a difference between the check in closing time and embarkation time? I spoke with a representative of the cruise who said it closes 2 hours in advance, but I'm wondering if I should book another flight. Leaving earlier would be tricky for childcare and transportation purposes, but it's much better than missing a cruise... I'd love any advice from experienced cruise-goers.

21 minutes ago, urshula said:

Hi all. First time cruiser here. I'm setting sail on an MSC Caribbean Cruise on Monday January 13. The cruise departs at 6 (18:00), so I booked a flight that lands in Miami at 2:03 thinking I'd be fine. I just checked my ticket and for some reason it says check in closes at 3:00 (15:00) instead of 4.

Is there a difference between the check in closing time and embarkation time? I spoke with a representative of the cruise who said it closes 2 hours in advance, but I'm wondering if I should book another flight. Leaving earlier would be tricky for childcare and transportation purposes, but it's much better than missing a cruise... I'd love any advice from experienced cruise-goers.

While you're at it (i.e., definitely changing flights), consider rebooking for at least one day prior to embarkation to give yourself a buffer in case of missed connections, misplaced luggage, possible time change acclimatization, enjoyment of the embarkation city, etc.

BTW, much can/does happen between the time you check-in on land and depart at sea (e.g,, Muster Drill).

Agree with CruiserBruce and Flatbush Flyer...

Disclosure:  We USED to fly the day of our cruise...it was often cheaper to fly "red eye" and we didn't have much vacation time.  We took a lot of risk and did not listen to the experienced cruisers here on Cruise Critic.  Yes, it happened to us...missed flights, missed connections, lost luggage, etc.....we learned our lesson.  We fly in the day before our cruise...several days when it's international.

• Like 1

Just so you understand, the reason they close the boarding process at that time is in order to complete and submit a final manifest to the US Department of Immigration per their requirements.  They also need to complete a muster drill prior to departure.  If you are not checked in prior to that time and arrive afterwards you will be denied boarding.

IMO, changing your flight is not an option, it would be a requirement. If you cannot travel the day before, then an earlier flight that day is a must.  Even if your current flight is on time you will not likely be able to deplane, get your luggage, and secure transportation to the port in time for a 3:00 PM final check in.  That is cutting it way to close and does not allow any time for any delays.

And, to your question, there is not any difference between check in time and embarkation time as it is one continuous process - you check into your cruise via your cruise documents and ID at a counter that will confirm your ship ID/Charge/Room Key card, and you then proceed directly to the gangway and board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Providing feedback for those who may have the same question.

To the original question, groups in different areas of the ship have different check in times. The higher level rooms and people with premium status can check in earlier than first timers or those with interior rooms. My "check in time" was from 1-3 for my group, but in the end, they allowed people to enter the boat until 4:30 for my 6:00 flight.

Knowing the probability of missing my flight, I looked into the cost of booking an earlier flight. The change fee was greater than my flight cost, so I would have lost everything I had spent. Additionally, the cost of flying from Wisconsin to Miami was the same as flying from Miami to Jamaica (our first stop). I decided that two days in Jamaica would be as great as spending the same two days at sea, and a much better use of my funds if I were to miss the boat.

Fortunately I made the cruise. In fact, I was already in a taxi at the time my flight was supposed to land. That said, due to heavy winds, we missed the stop in Jamaica. Had I missed my flight, I would have either had to buy two extra flights (one to Jamaica and one to Cayman Islands) or miss my cruise entirely.

If you're in my position and debating whether you should get the earlier flight or leave the day before, I definitely recommend it. I was lucky and everything went perfectly for me, but that's not a risk I'd recommend taking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, urshula said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Providing feedback for those who may have the same question.

To the original question, groups in different areas of the ship have different check in times. The higher level rooms and people with premium status can check in earlier than first timers or those with interior rooms. My "check in time" was from 1-3 for my group, but in the end, they allowed people to enter the boat until 4:30 for my 6:00 flight.

Knowing the probability of missing my flight, I looked into the cost of booking an earlier flight. The change fee was greater than my flight cost, so I would have lost everything I had spent. Additionally, the cost of flying from Wisconsin to Miami was the same as flying from Miami to Jamaica (our first stop). I decided that two days in Jamaica would be as great as spending the same two days at sea, and a much better use of my funds if I were to miss the boat.

Fortunately I made the cruise. In fact, I was already in a taxi at the time my flight was supposed to land. That said, due to heavy winds, we missed the stop in Jamaica. Had I missed my flight, I would have either had to buy two extra flights (one to Jamaica and one to Cayman Islands) or miss my cruise entirely.

If you're in my position and debating whether you should get the earlier flight or leave the day before, I definitely recommend it. I was lucky and everything went perfectly for me, but that's not a risk I'd recommend taking.

Glad it worked out - you were fortunate with your timing.  The 4:30 check in time would still comply with the final timeline necessary for the manifest, which is typically 90 minutes prior to departure. (Some cruise lines have it earlier).  Regardless of scheduled check in time the ship would allow anyone the opportunity to board by that final time. (Scheduled times are rarely adhered to).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 1/7/2020 at 5:43 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Just so you understand, the reason they close the boarding process at that time is in order to complete and submit a final manifest to the US Department of Immigration per their requirements. 

FYI, these is no "US Department if Immigration."

There used to be the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), but when Department of Homeland Security was formed, it was taken in and split between Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

1 minute ago, SRF said:

FYI, these is no "US Department if Immigration."

There used to be the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), but when Department of Homeland Security was formed, it was taken in and split between Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

Thank you for the clarification. 

On 1/7/2020 at 11:03 AM, CruiserBruce said:

You should book another flight. You have no margin for any error, delays or anything else.

Cruise lines require you to be on board a certain time in advance of sailing for a number of reasons, the most important being muster drill.

Would never fly the day of departure in the middle of winter. Too much of a chance of flight cancellation. If you must fly in early that morning, no connecting flights. 203pm flight is a recipe for disaster. To kill time you can go to South Beach do some sightseeing and have a leisurely breakfast.