Not alot of good reviews about Anthem on the web

1 hour ago, beccaewert said:

So, I found a decent deal and got a last minute cruise to Anthem on March 22-29..... leaves out of Cape Liberty

I've never been on this class of ship.... biggest I've been on is Oasis & loved it. Honestly I've loved every cruise that I've been on. Sure there are always things to pick out negative if you want. But for the most part, I'm laid back and take things in stride. That being said, there isn't alot of positive out there about the Quantum class.

Which makes me a tad bit nervous..... is it because most of these boats don't sail from the US?

Also I'm a midwest gal,.....so I'm used to varying weather temps. I didn't think leaving out of Cape Liberty was going to be that big of a deal, but now my family has me scared to death that there will be a winter storm or something keeping me from getting there during March 22-29..... Also they made it seem like we won't have much warm weather..... did I make a mistake choosing this cruise? I thought it would be a good one because I have active boys 13 & 10.....but we also don't want to be cold....

I was getting all excited, and now I'm a bit nervous...

Any Anthem fans out there? Anyone choose Cape Liberty often? Is it really going to be that cold?

We loved the Anthem and sailed in April. My review of the cruise is in my signature.

• Like 1

We love Anthem. I do not understand why Quantum class gets such a bad rap? People complain about the layout...it is a ship...long and narrow? Maybe I am good with direction, but I did not find it any harder to navigate than any other ship I have been on.

We have been on in January during the Jewish holiday and I personally did not find it to be any different than other cruises I have been on, but I am a pretty laid back person. When we were on in January, I think we were lucky with the weather, it was great. My kids were on the flowrider until late in the day on the last day heading back to Bayonne. There is so much to do inside as well. My kids were 13 & 10 as well and they lived in the Seaplex and on the Flowrider. We only went in the indoor pool once and that was the 1st night of the cruise.

Go enjoy your cruise and form your own opinion of the ship. It's what you make of it, but I think you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

We cruised on Anthem in May 2016 and Thanksgivings of 2017, 2018, 2019.

First time we were overwhelmed as she looked really crowded, and I did not wanted to sail on her again.

Since then things improved dramatically.

It is different than many other RCI ships, but a great one.

We sail with royal 2-3-4 times a year and we feel that Anthem has the best buffets out of Royal's.

Solarium is the best and sailing in March you will need it

image.png.c5a3040884038281c8f38b62ffa4bc4e.png

then you have a nice indoor pool so families have own place

image.png.99f7ff8ea276b09f95f248c00bbd209a.png

On our last Thanksgiving we had 1300 kids on board, but we hardly saw them as there is Seaplex

image.png.24b30caf30e0ef2fd257af7ae63a2b80.png

and there are many other attractions

Anthem has amazing shows and a special venue two70 with great show Spectra's Cabaret

image.png.8ab3f5a3719009c8855ba51b2b970e88.png

We also love all music in lounges Bollero's, Schooner, Music Hall.

I cannot believe, but I am already missing her again!!! Hopefully we will be on her again.

Oh, and WiFi quality is great. I worked 1 day on every previous cruises on her, and last Thanksgiving I has 3 full days of work with meetings and everything. Was working from our room or beautiful solarium

image.thumb.png.d5ab8ec34483a1536f7cdb50126d932b.png

Love upbeat messages on every floor

image.thumb.png.9ef0dad4cd558e86a1ff7e0d52f38f4f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevea36 said:

Yes, it is an awkward layout if you are used to the "classic" promenade or centrum based ships, but it works.   Once you learn where everything is you will love it.

This is how we felt! We felt overwhelmed the very first time, but now love it.

I like how all venues are reachable from there. Love Bollero's location and setup.

• Like 1

Sailed on Anthem last year and I live 1.5 hours away from Cape Liberty, so I cruise out of there, often!  I LOVED the Anthem and there will be SO much for your kids to enjoy!!  I have left out of Cape Liberty around the same time as you are going.....The only issue was that it was cold on outside decks until you reach down around the Carolinas, then it starts to warm up.  Last night coming back, a bit of rough waters....the crew said that this is typical, as the ship moves from the warmer waters to the colder waters.  I would not hesitate to go this time of year, but my usual rule of thumb for a Cape Liberty departure is: Mid April-July, usually sailing in early/mid May.....I have always avoided Aug-Oct due to Hurricane season( Might consider if I am doing a New England cruise).  I always like to arrive at Cape Liberty around 10-10:15am, as there is a one lane road going in/out and it can get quite bogged down after 10:30.  Can't help with hotels, as I always do car service, being 1.5 hours away.  Enjoy your cruise and the Anthem!!

• Like 1

Anthem is a great ship.  Our favorite is the Oasis class but not having to fly is a good perk for us!  It was built for cold weather so you will be fine.  Kids will love  Seaplex with the bumper cars, roller skating, trapeze and all the other things!!!  Usually by the first full sea day you will feel it start to warm up.  Definitely get to the port by 10:00, 10:30.  Boarding can start anytime from 10:45ish on,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Anthem is a great ship.  Our favorite is the Oasis class but not having to fly is a good perk for us!  It was built for cold weather so you will be fine.  Kids will love  Seaplex with the bumper cars, roller skating, trapeze and all the other things!!!  Usually by the first full sea day you will feel it start to warm up.  Definitely get to the port by 10:00, 10:30.  Boarding can start anytime from 10:45ish on,

And, if you are interested in bumper cars, go there around noon when there is no line at all !!

• Like 1

When Quantum class debuted just over 5 years ago many traditionalists were unhappy with the ships design and "improvements"  made to the onboard experience.  Some concepts worked better on paper than in practice resulting in negative reviews.  Adjustments were made and passenger satisfaction improved.  Quantum herself only sailed a few months in US before re-positioning to Asia in the spring of 2015.  Negative reviews after that date  might be more about China than the ship.  Have sailed Anthem several times and have no qualms about recommending her.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beccaewert said:

So, I found a decent deal and got a last minute cruise to Anthem on March 22-29..... leaves out of Cape Liberty

I've never been on this class of ship.... biggest I've been on is Oasis & loved it. Honestly I've loved every cruise that I've been on. Sure there are always things to pick out negative if you want. But for the most part, I'm laid back and take things in stride. That being said, there isn't alot of positive out there about the Quantum class.

Which makes me a tad bit nervous..... is it because most of these boats don't sail from the US?

Also I'm a midwest gal,.....so I'm used to varying weather temps. I didn't think leaving out of Cape Liberty was going to be that big of a deal, but now my family has me scared to death that there will be a winter storm or something keeping me from getting there during March 22-29..... Also they made it seem like we won't have much warm weather..... did I make a mistake choosing this cruise? I thought it would be a good one because I have active boys 13 & 10.....but we also don't want to be cold....

I was getting all excited, and now I'm a bit nervous...

Any Anthem fans out there? Anyone choose Cape Liberty often? Is it really going to be that cold?

Hi! I absolutely love Anthem. It's probably been one of my favorite ships that I've sailed on to date, and I've been on 19 cruises. The food was delicious, there was always something to do and the layout of the ship was great. If you want to read more about Anthem, I put a post up on my blog about it. Take a look below! Hope you definitely consider sailing on Anthem because I thought it was a great ship. I've sailed out of Cape Liberty quite a few times since I live in the area and we were on the ship fairly quickly. We usually arrive at the port by 10am so we are usually one of the first groups on. It might be a little chilly your first day but once you head to the Caribbean, you'll definitely warm up! And don't worry about those reviews... I find that sometimes the ones that have eh reviews are actually pretty awesome. Enjoy! 

https://thehappiesttravels.com/2019/01/11/anthem-of-the-seas-cruise-review/

• Like 1

We love Anthem also.  Have only been on her 3 times and at different times of the year, Sept., March, and Nov (we were on the Thanksgiving cruise with all those kids also) and have already book Thanksgiving for 2021.  The activities for the kids is great (my granddaughter loves all the things available) and we did not feel it was that crowded.  Also did not think much about the time spent in the hallway getting to our suite in the back, it was just a way to get a little exercise for the desserts we knew were waiting in the cabin.  We enjoyed Anthem so much we thought we would try Ovation and then Odyssey to see if they were as good as Anthem.  Each sailing has had cool weather for the first and last day but the days in-between have been great. Good enough for a sunburn at Coco Cay.  You will have a wonderful time as will your kids.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevea36 said:

And, if you are interested in bumper cars, go there around noon when there is no line at all !!

Agreed.  Most underrated feature on the ship prior to boarding. Once on and you watch others or try them yourself, you will be complaining that they aren't open enough! When boarding reserve puzzle break (if it is your thing, and the iFly if you didn't in the cruise planner. Head to two70 for the roast beef or straight to the Seaplex for repeat rides on the bumper cars. Sometimes you won't even have to get off if there are not enough people. After a couple of days, THERE WILL BE LONG LINES.

After 7 prior cruises on Royal,  my wife and I sailed on the Anthem in Sept 2018. Prior to that we had sailed on all classes but Empress and Oasis (though we leave on the later in less than 3 weeks!) We enjoyed it so much we took our kids (in college) on it for the NYE cruise 3 months later.  To date it is the only ship we have sailed twice on. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mets123 said:

I'm not Jewish. There's a Jewish holiday in  early January that attracts a large Jewish clientele. The cruise becomes chaotic. I don't want to say anything else about it.

I know this is semantics, but its called Yeshiva week. I'd be hardpressed to lump a majority of the Jewish people in with the orthodoxy the comes with the students that study at Yeshivas. 

That being said, I've sailed during these weeks and it can definitely cause logisitcal issues for dining. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Several in Elizabeth: Residence Inn, Country Inn & Suites, Courtyard.

Also see East Coast Departures forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

Thank you for the recommendation..... didn't know this board existed.... very very helpful!

21 hours ago, stevea36 said:

Yes, it is an awkward layout if you are used to the "classic" promenade or centrum based ships, but it works.   Once you learn where everything is you will love it.

I have already done a second sailing on her and am contemplating others in the future.

Steve

yes this is why I'm trying to memorize the deck plans, because it does seem different,... but different is good too 🙂

Thank you for your input

23 hours ago, beccaewert said:

I just didn't know if it was because of the ship, or the itinerary or even Cape Liberty?

I think that has a lot to do with it.  We sailed Anthem 9 day Bermuda/ Caribbean. We enjoyed the ship very much. The itinerary, being that it leaves from NJ, is not the best in terms of port times.  We arrived in Bermuda on a Saturday. The bus and ferry schedule was running on a limited weekend schedule. This was our 4th time in Bermuda. We had planned a trip to the Crystal caves on the far side of the island but due to the bus and ferry schedule it didn't allow enough time to get there and back and see the caves. Puerto Rico was a hit and run port. We arrived in the morning and were all aboard by 2:00pm.  We have also been to PR many times so it was enough time for us to walk around and have lunch.  St Maarten and Labadee were the best ports of call.  If you are a local like myself it's nice to drive to port for a change. All of our other cruises have been out of Florida or Puerto Rico.  However if I had to fly to port it wouldn't be to NY or NJ . I would go to Florida or PR. Some like to fly in early and tour Manhattan but as resident on Long Island all I can say is God Bless them. This was probably the first time in my cruise history that I actually had time to enjoy the ship with the extra sea days.  Our favorite spots were the Adult Solarium and Club Two-Seventy.  I would book this ship just for those two venues. The ship is large but not overwhelming. I never found it to be crowded except for the bottleneck traffic passing Brass and Bock. We sailed the first week in June so school was in session and there weren't an overwhelming amount of children.  I think the negative reviews are also coming from those who are comparing the Quantum Class and the Oasis Class.  They are just not the same.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, beccaewert said:

What's the earliest I can get there? When do they open? I fly in the night before..... living in the midwest (Indiana) there is no getting away without flying unless I want to drive for a day or two....

We left our house on Long Island at 7:am and arrived by 10:00.  Yes a 3 hour drive in commuter traffic on a Thursday morning. It's an hour drive if I left in the middle of the night. At that time we drove right up to the bag drop off and parked the car. We had to wait for the others we were traveling with who didn't arrive until 11:00.  By the time they arrived Check in was empty and we just signed in and walked onto the ship. Unless you are buying the family internet package anyway I don't see any value in the Key. We made reservations for the shows using the App on our phone. Dinner reservations were set up through the cruise planner as soon as it became available. On the last day we ate breakfast in the MDR and were off the ship by 9:30. The rooms are available by 1:00 so being able to check a carry on bag has little value plus I'm not checking electronics and medication so I still need to carry a bag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beccaewert said:

Thank you for the recommendation..... didn't know this board existed.... very very helpful!

yes this is why I'm trying to memorize the deck plans, because it does seem different,... but different is good too 🙂

Thank you for your input

I wouldn't memorize them, just go with the flow, that way you may find new adventures along the way...   

One main thing about ship layouts.... usually:  Food in the back, fun in the front....  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

When Quantum class debuted just over 5 years ago many traditionalists were unhappy with the ships design and "improvements"  made to the onboard experience.  Some concepts worked better on paper than in practice resulting in negative reviews.  Adjustments were made and passenger satisfaction improved.  Quantum herself only sailed a few months in US before re-positioning to Asia in the spring of 2015.  Negative reviews after that date  might be more about China than the ship.  Have sailed Anthem several times and have no qualms about recommending her.

To add to this, anytime a new design is launched there always seem to be more negative reviews than positive.  This is happening on the Celebrity board with the Edge. When Princess launched the Royal class it was the same. People on CC just don't do change well especially those who are loyal to only one cruise line.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

We have always been able to get checked in right away and on the ship in about 10-15 minutes.  Last cruise, we were on the Anthem by 10:30! 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 9:35 AM, beccaewert said:

Just to tack on to what many others have said,  part of the reason for that is there are only a few Quantum class ships - and only one sailing from the US - and  the oldest is a mere 5 years old.  Compare that to the dozen of Voyager/Freedom/Oasis mega--ships sailing from the cruise capital of the world - Florida - for the past 20 years and it's east to see why there are so many more reviews for those ships.

In addition, the Quantum class was very different from the preceding Voyager/Freedom/Oasis-class ships where each succeeding generation built up the one before it.  There was no massive Royal Promenade running the length of the ship, no ice rink or cantilevered whirlpool, no grandiose, multi-tiered MDR. Instead there where 4 different dining rooms and a concept called Dynamic Dining that shocked the system of those used to traditional/MTD dining. It was quickly jettisoned but people complained about it long after it was discontinued.  And what the heck is Wonderland?? Most likely that constitutes a large amount of bad press out there.

Having said that, Anthem has a lot going for it. It's a beautiful, high-tech ship. The Solarium & Indoor pool area are the best in the fleet, Two70 is an impressive venue day & night (great bar back there too!!), Music Hall & SeaPLex are great multi-purpose venues and I love the outdoor seating area in the WindJammer. Plus, all the best features from Royals fleet are still there: Schooner piano Bar, Boleros,  Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, the English Pub, Solarium Bistro to name a few. Plus, the Royal Esplanade is like a mini-Royal Promenade and the Two 70 Cafe does it's best to intimidate Park Cafe.  

Enjoy the cruise.  Late March weather in NYC can be iffy - maybe there will be a foot of heavy, wet snow  or maybe early spring with temps in the 70's but most likely it'll be cool40/50-ish the first & last day.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

I can't speak to the Quantum class ships, as I haven't been on one either, but speaking just for myself, I'll never do a cruise leaving from New York in the winter again. We were on the Explorer of the Seas for a 9 day cruise from Cape Liberty in March 2010, and the weather did not cooperate. We had a big snow storm in New York the day before that made us almost miss our cruise by minutes (even though we were flying in the day before), we had snow on the deck almost to the day we arrived in Florida, and the seas were the worst we've ever seen them. We're all seasoned cruisers, but even we were getting motion sick. The ship's staff did their best, and the 4 days we were actually in the Caribbean were nice, but for a 9-day cruise, we were extremely disappointed.

Now this isn't to say this is everyone's experience - we did get very unlucky - but just wanted to warn that the potential is there for weather to really muck up your plans with this kind of itinerary...

Edited by Canadian Cruiser98
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, beccaewert said:

yes this is why I'm trying to memorize the deck plans, because it does seem different,... but different is good too

If memory served correctly, the Anthem will have Digital Wayfinders by the elevators to help you find your way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP....you can go to any of the cruise lines' threads, CCL, NCL, RCCL, MSC, Princess....any of them, and you'll find this same exact thread about one or more of their ships.  Some people, for a variety of reasons, were disappointed in their cruise.  They'll rant here in a review.

On the flip side, you'll find some people....sometimes on the same exact cruise, rave about it.

Bottom line, take those reviews with a grain of salt.  One person's ceiling is another person's floor.

The cruise lines train all of their personnel the same.  Aside from some quirks here and there, the general feel of a particular line's ships are relatively similar (obviously size and features are a function of each other).

Food is generally prepared the same as cruise lines have a process for preparing and menu items that do not change much from ship to ship.

Crew work long hours without days off.  On occasion, you may find one or two who can not meet your particular expectations, but overall, their job is to make you happy, and they overwhelmingly do so (if you're reasonable in your expectations).  

A billing snafu will occasionally crop up.  People seem to go apoplectic whenever that happens.  But, while I agree the ship's billing can certainly be more efficient, overall they try their best to resolve any issues.  That's true of any service or restaurant related issues, too.  You just have to tell them.

I've been on the Anthem.  It's a fine ship....one of Royal's best.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.

• Like 1