Splendor! The Pre-Christening Inaugural Transatlantic Cruise! A LIVE Joint Blog!

Mr Rumor

9 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Great to see such an improvement, and that Regent listened to the CD and theatre people in designing Splendour. Hopefully they will be able to amend Explorer in the future.

I have been told by someone in a position to know that, in fact, Explorer’s balcony will be significantly amended in an upcoming dry dock.  

They are tart like limes but the pulp is in the form of soft beads.   The beads burst in your mouth so it is an interesting accompaniment to a dish in terms of taste and texture.   They are more available in California but I have seen some sorry specimens in Atlanta.  Nothing beats freshly sourced Australian finger limes!  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_australasica

1 hour ago, forgap said:

They are tart like limes but the pulp is in the form of soft beads.   The beads burst in your mouth so it is an interesting accompaniment to a dish in terms of taste and texture.   They are more available in California but I have seen some sorry specimens in Atlanta.  Nothing beats freshly sourced Australian finger limes!  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_australasica

Thanks, but odd, I live in California and have never had one.  I'll look for them.  Do they have them on the ship?

Edited by ronrick1943

I really love cooking and reading about food and these limes were a real treat when they arrived at the table.  I knew about them but had never tasted them, so when they arrived at the table I was like a kid in a candy shop!  The ones I saw in Atlanta at one of our international farmers markets were dark green and shriveled so I took a pass.  

8 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

I have been told by someone in a position to know that, in fact, Explorer’s balcony will be significantly amended in an upcoming dry dock.  

Sadly, the Explorer was in drydock 3 months ago, and the theater was not changed to correct the obstructed views.

The only visible change was LED lighting at the aisle steps.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:37 PM, Mr Rumor said:

The last little bit of land we will see for a week!

52522903-6EBD-4F95-A89D-1973A335807F.thumb.jpeg.3a383834543e8b57467a0b104b1d1e2f.jpeg

P.S.  Jennifer, Naomi and Rick, thanks for sharing your reactions to our experience at the Reid’s tea.  I have decided to speak with Destination Services about the matter.

When we were at Reid's for tea in November, there was a great deal of construction taking place in the public areas.  Our tea was in the large room(ballroom?) just to the left of the main entrance.  While it was handled nicely, it did lack charm.  Once construction is complete, hopefully tea time will return to the lovely ocean view room.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Here is a pic of the con man lurking in Old San Juan:

283D346F-61CD-43B6-A85B-F2BBDDDCD460.jpeg.30dddc74dfda35a994e80cbe305b725e.jpeg

The thread about this guy has been active since 22Oct2009. Must be a CC record. 
Z and TB

We went for a 3.5 mile walk around Old Town Guess who we met in Old SJ near the pier? Alas, he didn't try his pitch on us but he gave us and several others a look-over.It was WARM and overcast but with a nice breeze for a walk. Nice cathedral but mostly souvenier shops. damage still evident from hurricane let alone the earthquake. Great to try legs on land after 6 sea days.

Wonderful cruise continues. On-deck party tonight!

Breaking News:  Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail returns to Splendor Prime 7 menu

On our second cruise night, we dined in Prime 7 and were dismayed to see the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail no longer on the menu.

We commented about the change and then adjusted our orders.  Apparently we weren't alone.

In a great pivot based on customer input, Regent has now returned our favorite "appy" to the menu.

Last night we dined there again, and were delighted to see it has been reinstated. Hopefully, this was a Splendor-only, one-time issue.  Way to respond, Regent!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cr34102 said:

Breaking News:  Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail returns to Splendor Prime 7 menu

On our second cruise night, we dined in Prime 7 and were dismayed to see the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail no longer on the menu.

We commented about the change and then adjusted our orders.  Apparently we weren't alone.

In a great pivot based on customer input, Regent has now returned our favorite "appy" to the menu.

Last night we dined there again, and were delighted to see it has been reinstated. Hopefully, this was a Splendor-only, one-time issue.  Way to respond, Regent!

WOW! How could a steakhouse not have a Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail?  Just wouldn't be a steakhouse without it.

Edited by ronrick1943

56 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

Delighted to follow instructions! Delish!

92E65BBC-24CD-414F-81B1-DF8FD8A1A3CC.thumb.jpeg.c0c71d81f4f08b0c98fda1e3fefc6acd.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

Also, Z, big thanks for the tip about “mofongo,” the local specialty. Glad we ordered just one between us (vegetarian to score hubby points with Ginny).  Have the grand Pool Deck BBQ tonight!

48922402-82DD-456D-BDFA-971B0DB989E2.thumb.jpeg.c32e7e1022291fe28d14a50d4fb2a609.jpeg

Well done, my good man. I hope you enjoyed both items as much as we are enjoying this thread.  I hope the Medalla was real cold.  Where did you get the mofongo?  Funny, but I’ve never seen broccoli in a PR dish before. 
Z and TB

1 hour ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We went for a 3.5 mile walk around Old Town Guess who we met in Old SJ near the pier? Alas, he didn't try his pitch on us but he gave us and several others a look-over.It was WARM and overcast but with a nice breeze for a walk. Nice cathedral but mostly souvenier shops. damage still evident from hurricane let alone the earthquake. Great to try legs on land after 6 sea days.

Wonderful cruise continues. On-deck party tonight!

I cannot believe this putz is still running this scam.  Glad you guys were not targeted by him. One would think the cops are on to him after all these years. 
Z and TB

Z, we took our guide Ingrid’s suggestion and tried Restaurant Barrachina on Fortaleza.  Not only for its version of mofongo, but also because it vigorously lays claim to being the originator of the pina colada—to the point of etching the claim in marble next to its front door!   (Ingrid told us that San Juan’s Caribe Hilton has a dueling claim.)

96D5E38F-E0F1-442B-9B1E-3A46A4E6007F.thumb.jpeg.6c41e5cdcdda5f8fdd8bb9299c503369.jpeg

The pina colada has a special place in Ginny’s and my life as it was the drink we ordered on our first date aboard the Royal Viking Sea in January of 1977, only several hours after we met (I was the Sea’s editor while Ginny was traveling with her parents and grandmother).  We have a tradition of toasting our charmed meeting with one pina colada per Regent cruise.  We figured that better place this time around than Barrachina?!

08E7D930-C25E-4E77-A21C-1C5D8B66EA8D.thumb.jpeg.4dadccb29b25248b316318e43b18b282.jpeg

• Like 1