Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Mr Rumor

Splendor! The Pre-Christening Inaugural Transatlantic Cruise! A LIVE Joint Blog!

Recommended Posts

...when the two Romanian-born Regent stars spent 12 days in Regent’s Miami headquarters test bar perfecting the recipes....

Where was I? I would have gladly volunteered with no pay to have been a consultant for this endeavor. 

 

Please say hi to Daniella and pass our congrats on her new position. She is such a great professional and a wonderful person. 
Z and TB

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passages promised “GREAT FUN” at the “Maiden Wild Country Fair on the Pool Deck this morning and that’s what we had!  Throw in a little hilarity and jubilation, too!  Our fantastic crew has spirit!

CD8ED345-59E4-4B03-BA38-48ACE7A8D9F0.thumb.jpeg.fd900555d77d70fdca7d4d2e6ca8cf34.jpeg

E608A78D-CE20-4976-B417-A658833F3841.thumb.jpeg.949cbc07dab6141d97f0b962faf4d2bc.jpeg


7C99D5A8-D5D2-4CC8-B051-B966495CCAB6.thumb.jpeg.413643678a18a3424a3e32bd866ad460.jpeg

 

B6D0EBD9-83C6-4332-83C6-A7C78F0E94A5.thumb.jpeg.10e3182206862d222b6941a6ba9c1193.jpeg

 

 

4EC51D77-0923-4CFD-83DE-FF0D075D9E73.thumb.jpeg.48599d629836c837f6b5f5e7d382209b.jpeg

 

 

D4763817-8AA1-48B2-8CFC-A1B23E8DC59A.thumb.jpeg.c04760df67b7f3802ac7b09035937085.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's possible to have more glorious weather on a TA, than what you guys are experiencing! Way to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The smoothest, sunniest, most awesome 6 day TAC ever on the newest luxury ship at sea has just been completed with a 7 star Connoisseur Wine lunch.   Incomparable.  Head Sommelier Georgina excelled.... 🍷

6428CD37-63EC-4C8C-96FA-C16E53A93A62.jpeg

CEFB50E6-40F4-482F-B462-4FA389BA7BCC.jpeg

710627D9-66D1-4109-9E49-7DFBD3621472.jpeg

71F55C04-723F-4F1F-8028-1B204AD09021.jpeg

B0A02779-4E51-4E01-B03F-255EE5B602D5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, those cocktails look great.  I avoid anything with sugar, simple syrup, or sweet and sour mix, but it encouraging that a lot of these don’t include that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The palm tree backdrop in the “driving range” is apropos—it’s so warm we could be in the Caribbean!
7D942D90-559F-4651-97AF-FDD0EE0C5A36.thumb.jpeg.c7fc86b71176fc89bbe46df6d0b10b97.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The drinks look great, they really did a super job on the new ones-with Regent or Splendor markings.  We met Daniela on are first cruise on Regent.  Had the pleasure of being invited to dinner with her one night on the cruise.  It's no wonder she got a promotion, we always saw her all over the ship-checking to make sure everything was right.  Happy that Regent notice her work, they have a super  person for the job.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still awaiting a direct answer, have the problems in the theatre re ( no) sight lines to the stage been corrected from the Explorer theatre. Hope Splendour has solved this and downstairs seats under the balcony having limited sight lines above shoulder height.

 

Hopefully corrected  !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Still awaiting a direct answer, have the problems in the theatre re ( no) sight lines to the stage been corrected from the Explorer theatre. Hope Splendour has solved this and downstairs seats under the balcony having limited sight lines above shoulder height.

 

Hopefully corrected  !!!

Several people currently on the Splendor have already posted that all is corrected in the theatre and there are no further problems with "sight lines".   Suggest you re-read the posts ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you know the Constellation Theater’s “hottest ticket”?  Count up the number of cruisers waiting for the two doors to open at 9 p.m., precisely 30 minutes before showtime.  If it’s a dozen or more, trust that it’s a John Barron show!

 

Many of you are Splendor bound in days, weeks or a month or two, so I’m not going to spoil your fun by listing the songs and bits in our cruise director’s one-man show from the other night.  Just know you will be laughing and singing along, and, at one point, waving your cellphone with the flashlight turned on.

 

But if you know John, you know you don’t have to stand in line to get a good seat to see him.  As always he is everywhere around the Splendor day and night, and he always has the time to chat and give you a chuckle.

4DB76FE4-8751-4399-8081-F69EAEA8CBB7.thumb.jpeg.287b93088d253ef0a2c0611a2ab67d1a.jpeg

 

Edited by Mr Rumor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning, it’s Sea Day No. 8 and the sixth of six in a row. San Juan mañana! Yep, it’s another gorgeous day!

 

Deckhand Johnny (first Regent contract, Philippines) applies varnish to a railing of one of the circular staircases on the Pool Deck just now.

8FCAF6B8-8649-4DA9-8ED5-542F0B25D2D6.thumb.jpeg.591c4065f3b43f7eca58696a5d04aefe.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather gods have certainly been with you on this crossing.  Hope this continues until Miami!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rich and all others blogging:  just a quick heads up that last night I was reading the San Juan, PR board in CC and there is a specific thread regarding a con man. The individual is from the mainland and will stop folks by asking if they speak English, then proceeds with a sob story about how he and a family member were mugged. He then asks if you can spare some money to go to the hospital and see his family member. He is thin, older, and usually wears khaki pants and a shirt. Sometimes he jokingly says that he speaks Wisconsian. 
The interesting part is that folks have been reporting his con for over TEN YEARS! He will usually walk away if you call his bluff. The unfortunate thing is that many of us would not hesitate to help a fellow human being in need, but this idiot taints our goodwill. 
I saw a picture of him and will try to post it so you can either avoid him or get his autograph because he is a CC celebrity. Recommend you let others know to prevent from getting tricked by this schmuck. 
In return for my tip, have an ice cold Medalla Light beer for me and tell me how good it was. 
what are you plans for Old San Juan?

Z and TB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a pic of the con man lurking in Old San Juan:

283D346F-61CD-43B6-A85B-F2BBDDDCD460.jpeg.30dddc74dfda35a994e80cbe305b725e.jpeg


The thread about this guy has been active since 22Oct2009. Must be a CC record. 
Z and TB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

The weather gods have certainly been with you on this crossing.  Hope this continues until Miami!

Gerry, the loveliness of this crossing ranks with our first transatlantic crossing with Regent aboard the Mariner, March-April, 2012.  I made a Cruise Critic friend on that cruise.  Have a guess who that was?  

 

Rich

 

P.S.  I posted on a live CC thread for the first time on that cruise.  The same then-new CC friend started that blog!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Rumor said:

Gerry, the loveliness of this crossing ranks with our first transatlantic crossing with Regent aboard the Mariner, March-April, 2012.  I made a Cruise Critic friend on that cruise.  Have a guess who that was?  

 

Rich

 

P.S.  I posted on a live CC thread for the first time on that cruise.  The same then-new CC friend started that blog!  

All I can say is that I made a friend (actually quite a few!!!) on that cruise - you and Ginny, Dave and Paige Weimann, Jack and Clare Martin and others.  Looking back on it - it was a great crossing!  Remember the two Brits who "hogged" a table every day at the Pool Grill.  Drank two bottles of wine every lunchtime AND were as red as lobsters!!  We never got to speak with them - just watched them downing the wine!

I keep meaning to ask - how is Ginny's wrist?  Healing well I hope.

Take care - enjoy San Juan!

Gerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are all having a wonderful time.  The weather gods certainly shined brightly on thr Splendor.  I agree John Barron is the best.  Looking forward to seeing him on another cruise soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I keep meaning to ask - how is Ginny's wrist?  Healing well I hope.

Gerry

Her wrist is doing well.  Ginny just has to remember not to be too frisky using it, especially twisting it. 

 

She is managing just fine with her craft work.  Her output on this cruise has been origami butterflies and these little “beaded” fairy characters:

942C55F8-151B-4F2A-AC17-E067E0D32874.thumb.jpeg.e2d1c1fb896ea929592d1c69050f80b5.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, forgap said:

Wow oh woe is my liver!  Those look fabulous!   Can u ask Daniela if they will go fleet wide?   My least favorite thing about about Regent is the use of sour mix. A bartender said this was a corporate decision as consistency in sourcing lemons and limes (!!) was an issue.  I love trying craft cocktails and this was the area that needed improvement.   Brava Daniela and team!

 

Please extend our congratulations to Daniela about her promotion.  It is well deserved.   I think back fondly to that dinner we all had with her...and the beautiful apple rose dessert in puff pastry!  

 

Daniela says the “Unforgettable” 27 will be introduced on the Explorer sometime this summer.  She added that there are no plans at this time, however, to take the new cocktails fleet-wide.

 

Daniela was strolling by The Cafe as I read your post.  I read it to her, and she immediately recalled you and Georges, and our dinner together.   Now do you remember the special treat that Executive Chef Hamza located that day in a Brisbane market that he wound up using in a fantastic salsa at our dinner that night?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

 

Daniela says the “Unforgettable” 27 will be introduced on the Explorer sometime this summer.  She added that there are no plans at this time, however, to take the new cocktails fleet-wide.

 

Daniela was strolling by The Cafe as I read your post.  I read it to her, and she immediately recalled you and Georges, and our dinner together.   Now do you remember the special treat that Executive Chef Hamza located that day in a Brisbane market that he wound up using in a fantastic salsa at our dinner that night?  

Finger limes!  How could I forget?    How fabulous was that trip?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Please say hi to Daniella and pass our congrats on her new position. She is such a great professional and a wonderful person. 
Z and TB

Will do, and agreed!

 

 

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Rich and all others blogging:  just a quick heads up that last night I was reading the San Juan, PR board in CC and there is a specific thread regarding a con man. The individual is from the mainland and will stop folks by asking if they speak English, then proceeds with a sob story about how he and a family member were mugged. He then asks if you can spare some money to go to the hospital and see his family member. He is thin, older, and usually wears khaki pants and a shirt. Sometimes he jokingly says that he speaks Wisconsian. 


The interesting part is that folks have been reporting his con for over TEN YEARS! He will usually walk away if you call his bluff. The unfortunate thing is that many of us would not hesitate to help a fellow human being in need, but this idiot taints our goodwill. 
I saw a picture of him and will try to post it so you can either avoid him or get his autograph because he is a CC celebrity. Recommend you let others know to prevent from getting tricked by this schmuck. 

 

In return for my tip, have an ice cold Medalla Light beer for me and tell me how good it was. 

 

What are you plans for Old San Juan?

 

Z and TB

 

To your last question first, bro.  I was paying attention when you blogged about things to do—and not do—in OSJ on another thread recently.  This is why I switched from the city tour that included a (1.5-hour!) stop at the Bacardi Visitor Center (and, of course, Gift Shop) to  just the city tour.  As you wrote, “Please make sure you don’t make a rookie tourist mistake and order Bacardi rum and coke while on the island. Trust me.  No self-respecting Puertorican would drink it.”

 

The shorter city tour will give us more time to play and hide and seek with the con man.   While we’re hiding, we’ll be seeking some ice-cold Medalla Lights!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, forgap said:

Finger limes!  How could I forget?    How fabulous was that trip?   


Bingo!

628F51FD-140F-4C6D-B5F7-451DBB1B6AF2.thumb.jpeg.cda5c290d1026903f29cd112a8fcae22.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

Will do, and agreed!

 

 

 

To your last question first, bro.  I was paying attention when you blogged about things to do—and not do—in OSJ on another thread recently.  This is why I switched from the city tour that included a (1.5-hour!) stop at the Bacardi Visitor Center (and, of course, Gift Shop) to  just the city tour.  As you wrote, “Please make sure you don’t make a rookie tourist mistake and order Bacardi rum and coke while on the island. Trust me.  No self-respecting Puertorican would drink it.”

 

The shorter city tour will give us more time to play and hide and seek with the con man.   While we’re hiding, we’ll be seeking some ice-cold Medalla Lights!

Excellent. An excellent substitute for Bacardi is Don Q rum. It’s my go to rum when mixing. 
Z and TB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I think I may have been the first to harp on the Explorer’s terrible balcony sight lines in the Explorer Maiden Voyage live blog, I think it’s fitting for me to document—in photos—the much-improved balcony sight lines on the Splendor.  All photos were taken this morning at Steven Rivellino’s lecture on “The Playwright (Arthur Miller) and the Goddess (Marilyn Monroe).”  (By the way, Rivellino, a theatrical producer, has delivered a string of superb illustrated talks on subjects ranging from the Bolshoi “scandal” to Broadway trends.)

 

View from the first row of the rear balcony:

1D5791AC-917E-4E52-AD8A-3F44C2D5686D.thumb.jpeg.51700599af0977b5f816163e0467bd56.jpeg

 

Second row rear balcony view:

5F2B44A6-EF20-4837-95E5-E7737793B7A1.thumb.jpeg.caab228c0072fa75a3119f6f96d25c33.jpeg

 

Third row rear balcony view:

6DBA0FD7-23C2-4FF7-A7AC-08888E8F6F87.thumb.jpeg.9e3cc3f5caadea01682f551e99f376dd.jpeg

 

The side balconies have two rows compared to the Explorer’s three, and the chairs swivel:
002A1083-C45E-4F1E-852E-01108D94A127.thumb.jpeg.74c09b0245abd216a07932baf2338d28.jpeg

 

Second row side balcony view:

948FD2EB-E035-461B-903F-37213F7D83D6.thumb.jpeg.8a070e3f3783d26805f0b7ba69daf867.jpeg

 

To be honest, there is minor view obstruction from hanging speakers and lights, especially from the side balconies, and from each of the two balcony pillars in the rear balcony. . .

DEFBDD2A-BA97-4D7A-B077-E821E76B477F.thumb.jpeg.401c7d9931f4453875dfea309413512d.jpeg

 

. . .  but I haven’t heard anyone complaining.  And I’m seeing lots of occupied seats upstairs:

ACB1B406-4D10-4C6D-BDA8-4850CEAAF70F.thumb.jpeg.9a4e3f9d8211eb52aa9931f1e026a910.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

As I think I may have been the first to harp on the Explorer’s terrible balcony sight lines in the Explorer Maiden Voyage live blog, I think it’s fitting for me to document—in photos—the much-improved balcony sight lines on the Splendor.  All photos were taken this morning at Steven Rivellino’s lecture on “The Playwright (Arthur Miller) and the Goddess (Marilyn Monroe).”  (By the way, Rivellino, a theatrical producer, has delivered a string of superb illustrated talks on subjects ranging from the Bolshoi “scandal” to Broadway trends.)

 

View from the first row of the rear balcony:

1D5791AC-917E-4E52-AD8A-3F44C2D5686D.thumb.jpeg.51700599af0977b5f816163e0467bd56.jpeg

 

Second row rear balcony view:

5F2B44A6-EF20-4837-95E5-E7737793B7A1.thumb.jpeg.caab228c0072fa75a3119f6f96d25c33.jpeg

 

Third row rear balcony view:

6DBA0FD7-23C2-4FF7-A7AC-08888E8F6F87.thumb.jpeg.9e3cc3f5caadea01682f551e99f376dd.jpeg

 

The side balconies have two rows compared to the Explorer’s three, and the chairs swivel:
002A1083-C45E-4F1E-852E-01108D94A127.thumb.jpeg.74c09b0245abd216a07932baf2338d28.jpeg

 

Second row side balcony view:

948FD2EB-E035-461B-903F-37213F7D83D6.thumb.jpeg.8a070e3f3783d26805f0b7ba69daf867.jpeg

 

To be honest, there is minor view obstruction from hanging speakers and lights, especially from the side balconies, and from each of the two balcony pillars in the rear balcony. . .

DEFBDD2A-BA97-4D7A-B077-E821E76B477F.thumb.jpeg.401c7d9931f4453875dfea309413512d.jpeg

 

. . .  but I haven’t heard anyone complaining.  And I’m seeing lots of occupied seats upstairs:

ACB1B406-4D10-4C6D-BDA8-4850CEAAF70F.thumb.jpeg.9a4e3f9d8211eb52aa9931f1e026a910.jpeg

Great to see such an improvement, and that Regent listened to the CD and theatre people in designing Splendour. Hopefully they will be able to amend Explorer in the future, as at the present it can't be the worlds best cruise ship with such a fault .

 

Great pictures its what I and many others needed to see. Looking forward to sailing on Splendour in the future. Our next 2 cruises are on Navigator and our favourite ship the Voyager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...