Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Alyssa James, 

Which country can you point o as an example of doing a better job than the USA?  None!  I follow the Worldometers data and countries far smaller than ours have much higher rates. I think the CDC and the USA have made really sound decisions, starting with our banning people who had been in mainland China to travel here. The natural progression into the community was inevitable.  Now, our country needs to work on getting medicines and vital products into the control of our own country's companies. China is welcome to continue to produce cheap toys and trinkets and other nonessentials. 

Depending on your metric for what is a "better job" it looks like India is doing fairly well.  A quick Google search has USA with a population of 327.2 million while India has over 1.3 billion, so a country far larger that has much lower rates than the US based on your source site.

While taking an isolationist approach might be tempting, I suspect it would bring a lot of unintended consequences you may not like if we kept everything in-house.

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Alyssa James, 

Which country can you point o as an example of doing a better job than the USA?  None!  I follow the Worldometers data and countries far smaller than ours have much higher rates. I think the CDC and the USA have made really sound decisions, starting with our banning people who had been in mainland China to travel here. The natural progression into the community was inevitable.  Now, our country needs to work on getting medicines and vital products into the control of our own country's companies. China is welcome to continue to produce cheap toys and trinkets and other nonessentials. 

I recall reading that Singapore, which is a major flight hub in Asia, instituted draconian measures to try and contain it’s spread.

Nice government website to update the populace

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

I recall reading that Singapore, which is a major flight hub in Asia, instituted draconian measures to try and contain it’s spread.

Nice government website to update the populace

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19

The Singapore government also posts the address of the patients and the place where the virus was spread.  I guess we would have to suspend the HIPPHA laws in the US to do what Singapore is doing. Personally, I think it is good to know the age and if the person had pre-existing health issues. A healthy thirty year  old dying of it is very different than an elderly, ill nursing home resident. 

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The Singapore government also posts the address of the patients and the place where the virus was spread.  I guess we would have to suspend the HIPPHA laws in the US to do what Singapore is doing. Personally, I think it is good to know the age and if the person had pre-existing health issues. A healthy thirty year  old dying of it is very different than an elderly, ill nursing home resident. 

Well hey, N. Korea shot a government official who broke quarantine and shot their first confirmed case, so their strategy might be even more effective - if it weren't for that whole inhuman thing.

Totally agree on the usefulness of demographic data on cases and deaths.  It would also be useful if cases/deaths were reported by whether they are folks who were infected outside the country and came back, or if they were 'home-grown" infections.

• Like 1

We’re sailing in one week and I’m extremely nervous. I’m going to be carrying disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer everywhere, staying away from crowds as much as possible, and spending a lot more time in the cabin than any other cruise I’ve ever taken. My biggest concern is remembering not to touch my face. It’s not something anyone thinks about, they just do it. Considering carrying blank stickers around too that I can write “don’t touch face” on and stick to my hands. Will have to change the sticker every time I wash my hands so I will need a lot... I’m going to try to stay 6 feet away from people but I have a feeling that’s going to be very hard. No crowded elevators, buffet, pools, lido deck, or shipboard parties...

On 1/30/2020 at 7:32 PM, clo said:

Facts beat fears. For me anyway.

Why I’m worried about Coronavirus and not flu: I’ve had flu many, many times and I’m still alive and never got quarantined, on the contrary, I’ve never had Coronavirus so I have no idea how my body will react, and I’m also concerned I may be quarantined even if I don’t have it but others do. Unlike flu this is worth worrying about in my opinion.

23 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I would think this detail is available to the appropriate agencies.  But certainly not the general public (here in the US).  

5 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

We’re sailing in one week and I’m extremely nervous. I’m going to be carrying disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer everywhere, staying away from crowds as much as possible, and spending a lot more time in the cabin than any other cruise I’ve ever taken. My biggest concern is remembering not to touch my face. It’s not something anyone thinks about, they just do it. Considering carrying blank stickers around too that I can write “don’t touch face” on and stick to my hands. Will have to change the sticker every time I wash my hands so I will need a lot... I’m going to try to stay 6 fe

It was suggested in a newspaper today that you massage your hands when you feel the urge to touch your face, or get a stress ball to play with.

There are various prayer beads, such as RC rosaries, also Episcopalian/Anglican ones, or ones from the Middle East which are sometimes called fidget beads.

Locally, people make fidget sleeves for dementia patients, which have all kinds of buttons, clasps, ribbons etc sewn on.

Perhaps not for using out on deck, but in your cabin? 

21 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

My biggest concern is remembering not to touch my face. It’s not something anyone thinks about, they just do it.

It is the one thing doctors say the masks are good for. Covering half your face is a pretty effective way of preventing your hands having contact with your face especially around the mouth which is the most vulnerable area when it comes to contracting many illnesses.

Edited by ilikeanswers

On 3/7/2020 at 3:06 AM, sfaaa said:

N Korea said it has zero coronavirus case.

It seems to me that if they had had cases of infection, they would not have told the world community about it. First of all, because of their totalitarian government. In 1986, the Soviet Union told the world about Chernobyl only when the situation became very critical. However, it is worth saying that earlier the DPRK also introduced restrictive measures to protect the Republic from the spread of the coronavirus. The authorities have closed international flights and the entry and exit of tourists is also stopped. And also they temporarily suspended rail passenger service to China and Russia. In any case, I hope that the spread of coronavirus will end shortly

This is a fuller site with the same numbers but more detail. It is updated live with the "New" cases but the main numbers update at 12 PM GMT

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Some of it quite disturbing if you look at resolved cases....make sure you scroll down

Edited by Cee_Jay
detail

Viruses - regardless of their actual specific names - are all spread in much the same ways.

The USA -  for a number of good and bad reasons - every year reports a higher percentage of Norwalk Virus outbreaks than any other country.

Is it logical to guess that Corona Virus Outbreaks in the USA will follow the same pattern?

16 hours ago, Cee_Jay said:

Do not see why the U.S.  or hopefully the U.K should be any different....what worries me is what the heck is happening in Italy!

In some localities, China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, the virus seems to have 'bloomed' while in others the spread is much slower.  Policies, procedures, and competence are different from country to country.  There is a vast gulf between panic and bravado.

17 hours ago, Cee_Jay said:

Do not see why the U.S.  or hopefully the U.K should be any different....what worries me is what the heck is happening in Italy!

Italy is unfortunate, or fortunate, that is has one of the oldest, if not the oldest population in the world. It probably shouldn't be a surprise that is being adversely affected  compared to other countries.

Some parts of italy are quite densely populated too. And is a very religious  country and therefore lots of people spend a lot if time together.

I read somewhere that the average age of those that have died is 81 there.

On 3/8/2020 at 10:28 AM, ColeThornton said:

My cruise is next month.  I figure if I don't eat Chinese food before I board my immune system will be fine.

Better read what the fortune cookie tells you before you decide on anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Better read what the fortune cookie tells you before you decide on anything.

...and what if the cookie says that it's better to go to China? 'Cause there aren't many tourists there now, and sellers of cookies need to earn money!