PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

I know anyone can cancel. I am on a Princess ship right now and have no future cruises booked.  I always have cancel for any reason insurance.  I learned my lesson a few years ago when I paid in full rather than accepting the 24 hour courtesy hold when booking directly with Princess.  12 hours later, I need to cancel and called Princess.  Even though they hadn’t put the charge through yet, they wouldn’t let me cancel and put the charge through the next day.  So I learned a big expensive lesson that day.

I am asking if Princess should let the uninsured cancel.  This is a true black swan event. It would be great PR for Princess to let anyone cancel now.  Princess could use good PR after the Diamond.  It would show they are putting passenger safety first.

• Like 3

At this time, it would disastrous for Princess and the other cruise lines to let individuals cancel.  We must remember that as of today, there are only 17 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the United States.  The best thing to do is to keep calm, and keep informed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Purdue Professor knows nothing about cruise ships.

I would stop reading all the internet expert link posters in the Diamond and the Corona Virus threads.

If they post it enough times it becomes fact.

IMO..........

No they should not bail people out if they did not buy insurance.

If Princess cancels the cruise then thats another story.

• Like 9

Don’t listen to a professor who, according to you, knows nothing about cruise ships.

How about the the CDC? Is it okay to listen to them?  Only 17 cases in the US?  I assume you are not counting the Diamond Princess cases.

if their is something special about a cruise ship environment that allows the virus to spread rapidly, this is clearly a valid concern.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Loreni said:

Don’t listen to a professor who, according to you, knows nothing about cruise ships.

How about the the CDC? Is it okay to listen to them?  Only 17 cases in the US?  I assume you are not counting the Diamond Princess cases.

if their is something special about a cruise ship environment that allows the virus to spread rapidly, this is clearly a valid concern.

what does this post have to do with YOUR original posting ?

• Like 1

I just want to add that I read airlines are letting people cancel, so the idea is not unprecedented.  Also, it would only be a financial disaster for Princess to let people cancel, if lots of people want to cancel.  But if lots of people want to cancel, there would be a reason for that.  It would also be a disaster for Princess if the Diamond situation repeats itself on other ships.  I think the industry will suffer no matter what they do at this point. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Volunteer?  What is the source for this info?

Here is the link for the RFP...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22495-princess-issues-rfp-to-clean-and-sanitize-diamond-princess.html

There have been several reports of Princess will be manning with volunteers although not a hard and fast report from a news source.

Princess has no way to force crew members to stay onboard except for contractual reasons.  If Princess says you will stay on-board no matter what, that would be considered false imprisonment.  The other remedy would be for Princess to deny air fare compensation if a crew member would wants to leave the ship before the end of the their contract.

At this stage, that would not be a good PR move.  For the long term, better to have crew members leave before their contract end if they want.  While offering "hazardous pay" to existing crew members to stay, and/or other crew members currently under contract on other ships, or are during their break between contract.

OP - you expressed your opinion and asked for others' opinions and that is what you received.  We should all realize that opinions are not necessarily based on fact (especially in a fluid situation where 'fact' may be hard to determine) but are judgments and not everyone will agree.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

At this point in time, I don't believe the it is warranted and cruiselines should not allow passengers to cancel, unless they have CFAR insurance. 

Cruiselines have an obligation to their  shareholders, so without a direct threat (and no, I don't believe there is a direct threat at this time, depending on the itinerary, of course), they would be doing a disservice to the stakeholders in their companies.  

They are taking measures to mitigate the risks of passengers onboard.  Due to the small number of cases in the US, Mexico, Canada, Caribbean, etc ... there really is no need for the company to give out unwarranted refunds.  Can you just imagine the far reaching consequences of every travel company just halting all business operations?  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gatour said:

Here is the link for the RFP...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22495-princess-issues-rfp-to-clean-and-sanitize-diamond-princess.html

There have been several reports of Princess will be manning with volunteers although not a hard and fast report from a news source.

Princess has no way to force crew members to stay onboard except for contractual reasons.  If Princess says you will stay on-board no matter what, that would be considered false imprisonment.  The other remedy would be for Princess to deny air fare compensation if a crew member would wants to leave the ship before the end of the their contract.

At this stage, that would not be a good PR move.  For the long term, better to have crew members leave before their contract end if they want.  While offering "hazardous pay" to existing crew members to stay, and/or other crew members currently under contract on other ships, or are during their break between contract.

Thanks.

I have seen the RFP.

I was asking about the Volunteer comment.

Whatever crew stays on I think they will be contracted or under contract as always.

"Cancel for Any Reason" insurance is somewhat misleading as most policy plans exclude losses caused directly or indirectly by an Epidemic, which Coronavirus currently is categorized as.  I would definitely contact your travel agent or read your travel plan policy very carefully.

• Like 4

At this point a blanket worldwide suspension of the cancellation rules would be an unreasonable bending to blind panic without foundation, like some of the residents in my over 55 community who have said they aren't eating at Chinese restaurants anymore.

Edited by Doug R.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Loreni said:

You worry about you, I will worry about me. This is the adult thing to do.

9 minutes ago, Jilliebean28 said:

"Cancel for Any Reason" insurance is somewhat misleading as most policy plans exclude losses caused directly or indirectly by an Epidemic, which Coronavirus currently is categorized as.  I would definitely contact your travel agent or read your travel plan policy very carefully.

Prior to my Asia cruise being cancelled, I had insurance with CFAR but my TA was told that it wouldn't cover this situation as it does not cover epidemics.  So definitely check your policy and call the cruise line before making assumptions.  

Edited by dns65

24 minutes ago, Loreni said:

I just want to add that I read airlines are letting people cancel, so the idea is not unprecedented.  Also, it would only be a financial disaster for Princess to let people cancel, if lots of people want to cancel.  But if lots of people want to cancel, there would be a reason for that.  It would also be a disaster for Princess if the Diamond situation repeats itself on other ships.  I think the industry will suffer no matter what they do at this point. 

Airlines are only letting people cancel reservations to very limited destinations.  None in the western hemisphere.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thanks.

I have seen the RFP.

I was asking about the Volunteer comment.

Whatever crew stays on I think they will be contracted or under contract as always.

Agreed that they'll be under contract, but I doubt they'll "force" anyone to go on board.  Hence the volunteer comment, IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dns65 said:

Prior to my Asia cruise, I had insurance with CFAR but my TA was told that it wouldn't cover this situation as it does not cover epidemics.  So definitely check your policy and call the cruise line before making assumptions.  

IMO.......

I think I would call the insurance company myself and not relay on a TA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gatour said:

Current crew members are being sent back to their home countries.  The ship will be manned by new volunteer crew members.  I imagine there will just be enough crew members onboard to safely get to the port where it will be deep cleaned.

Princess has issued a RFP for a company to do a extra deep clean.  Things like removing all of the soft goods (linens, mattresses) in the cabins and replacing them with new soft goods.  Sanitizing the surfaces throughout ship.

With it blowing up in Italy, I wonder how many ports/companies will bid.  There may be pressure or outright denial by countries they are located in to bid on the contract.

About 400+ crew members from Phillippines and 120+ from India have been rescured.

So number of crew members getting infected will stop (Albeit, some of those already infected but currently aymptomatic may turn positive - hopefully, not)

After the 2 months of "vacation pay" is over, we will now more of facts from the crew point of view.

36 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Agreed that they'll be under contract, but I doubt they'll "force" anyone to go on board.  Hence the volunteer comment, IMO.

“A voluntary team of new seafarers are ready to go on board,” said Francesco di Fiore, ITF inspectorate co-ordinator Italy. "A new master is already in Yokohama waiting in the hotel for instructions.”

https://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/291436/diamond-princess-crew-allowed-to-return-home-as-coronavirus-claims-3rd-life-in-japan/

14 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

“A voluntary team of new seafarers are ready to go on board,” said Francesco di Fiore, ITF inspectorate co-ordinator Italy. "A new master is already in Yokohama waiting in the hotel for instructions.”

https://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/291436/diamond-princess-crew-allowed-to-return-home-as-coronavirus-claims-3rd-life-in-japan/

They may have volunteered but they will be under contract.

12 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

I thought the Diamond Pricess was going to be out of commission for some time, per the RFP and cleaning plans announced.

So the new Master will be waiting int the luxury (?) of a hotel for quite some time!??

I hope he/she has a good supply of reading material and videos, etc.

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I thought the Diamond Pricess was going to be out of commission for some time, per the RFP and cleaning plans announced.

So the new Master will be waiting int the luxury (?) of a hotel for quite some time!??

I hope he/she has a good supply of reading material and videos, etc.

GC

I doubt it will be done there.

It will most likely be moved.

Got this from the Princess Website. 

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coronavirus-update.html

Issued yesterday but we know talk is cheap and whether these steps are being taken is another story.  I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks but will not cancel in advance but will play it by ear.

• Like 1