PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

7 hours ago, villauk said:

BA have just announced they are cancelling flights to certain places in Italy, including Venice and Milan, as well as particular flights to other countries:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51669434

I checked this out and it turns out they're merging flights and canceling SOME flights to those destinations. When I first read your post, it sounded to me like they were stopping all flights. This is from the website Business Traveller:

British Airways is “merging” a number of flights to Italy, Singapore and Seoul next month, as it reacts to a fall in demand called by coronavirus.

The carrier has provided Business Traveller with the following details:

• 56 roundtrip flights being cancelled from London Heathrow and Gatwick to Italian destinations (including Milan, Bologna, Bergamo, Venice and Turin) between March 14 and March 28
  • six roundtrip flights being cancelled from London Heathrow to Singapore every other day starting from March 15 (cancelled flights on March 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 25)
  • roundtrip flights being cancelled from London Heathrow to Seoul every other day during the period March 13 and March 28

On 2/26/2020 at 4:36 AM, FiftyOnePlus said:

It is...completely fear-mongering from many people....media included

Do you still stand by that statement - 27 days later?

First Brit dies from the coronavirus, he was aboard the Diamond Princess.  Fear mongering?  I cancelled our cruise to Alaska in May, I'm not willing to chance being sick again from the cruise crud.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/coronavirus-cases-surge-across-europe-hong-kong-dog-tests-positive-live-updates?utm_campaign=&utm_content=ZeroHedge%3A+The+Durden+Dispatch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zh_newsletter

• Like 3

12 hours ago, movinout said:

Wondering....we have final payment tomorrow on a late May British Isles cruise.  We have Princess Platinum Insurance and our air through Princess Ez air.  Are we fairly well covered if this thing gets worse and we cancel closer to date?  Does the cancel for any reason return airfare which was added into our total or does that  also go into a future credit too w Princess?  Anyone help me with an answer here?  
Thanks, Debbie

We too had a cruise to Alaska in May, and we cancelled.  If we would have waited one more day, we would have been penalized $200.  If you cancel, don't delay.  We already got all of our money back.

• Like 1

I wouldn't use Zerohedge as a reliable source of news, but yes, Covid-19 is turning out to be a lot worse than people originally thought or hoped it might be. There are some Youtubers giving excellent coverage of the disease (Dr John Campbell springs to mind) as well as Worldometer's web site.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 12:06 AM, Farts said:

I ended up not booking a cruise this may bc of the corona virus. Ppl I would be traveling with just didn't want to risk it. 

Just got back from this wonderful trip on the Star Princess.

There was EXTENSIVE screening. We had to fill out a form; Have you been to China recently, Y or N ? Do you have a cough, Y or N ? Do you have a temperature, Y or N ? No, no, no??? Okay, get onboard....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Just got back from this wonderful trip on the Star Princess.

There was EXTENSIVE screening. We had to fill out a form; Have you been to China recently, Y or N ? Do you have a cough, Y or N ? Do you have a temperature, Y or N ? No, no, no??? Okay, get onboard....

I thought when they took our pictures on embarkation with that (new to me) system that they were taking our temps. Nope. However I was assured that no one could circumvent the dreaded Yes / No grilling!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Saw an article today about disinfecting Diamond Princess:

https://cruiseradio.net/how-princess-cruise-ship-will-be-cleaned-of-coronavirus/

One of the items on the list was:

Staterooms, where they will remove and dispose of all towels, linens, mattress pads, pillows, duvets, shower curtains and mattresses

Sounds like they are reasonably serious. I guess Diamond Princess will have all new beds.

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

Saw an article today about disinfecting Diamond Princess:

https://cruiseradio.net/how-princess-cruise-ship-will-be-cleaned-of-coronavirus/

One of the items on the list was:

Staterooms, where they will remove and dispose of all towels, linens, mattress pads, pillows, duvets, shower curtains and mattresses

Sounds like they are reasonably serious. I guess Diamond Princess will have all new beds.

I wonder if they are insured for just this type of situation.  They sure have been taking a lot of hits lately ... it's hard to comprehend how they can keep on bleeding out the cash.  

On 2/20/2020 at 9:21 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

The passport number would provide electronic access to worldwide databases which would contain details of all travel on that passport.

You did not answer the question.  Where is the citation for your assertion and this one.  

I called today asking that question and was told they aren't changing their policy at this time.   NCL has changed their policy for June and July cruises on payments bringing it to 60 days instead of 90 days to give people a little more comfort.  The airlines are changing their policies hourly it seems like.  So maybe they will change it.

27 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

You’re arguing with someone from two weeks ago?

Just got back on Cruise Critic.  I don't live here like some. You could just scroll on by.  LOL

On 2/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, BulldustHHH said:

...There are some Youtubers giving excellent coverage of the disease (Dr John Campbell springs to mind) as well as Worldometer's web site.

This is a nice, easy, graphic to digest. Says the US has 153 confirmed cases and I see from Worldometer's web site that the US has tested under 500 people so far. It will be interesting to see if the US gets the 75,000 tests done this week as they have said they will, and how much the results change the numbers on the map. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

In the meantime, it is nice to see that over 50% of the cases have recovered so far. Since the numbers are HUGE in China, that means that as more of those people recover, that number will continue to rise dramatically. 

And yes, the Diamond Princess was a success as a quarantine. The point was never to protect the people on the ship, but to protect the people in Japan. And now the Grand may be facing the same fate. US officials now get to make the choice: let even more people who have been knowingly infected move through the country as they return to their homes to self-isolate, or keep them all in one place, perhaps with better care than in Japan but still contained until they all recover or test negative 14 days after the last positive test. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanadianKate said:

This is a nice, easy, graphic to digest. Says the US has 153 confirmed cases and I see from Worldometer's web site that the US has tested under 500 people so far. It will be interesting to see if the US gets the 75,000 tests done this week as they have said they will, and how much the results change the numbers on the map. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

In the meantime, it is nice to see that over 50% of the cases have recovered so far. Since the numbers are HUGE in China, that means that as more of those people recover, that number will continue to rise dramatically. 

And yes, the Diamond Princess was a success as a quarantine. The point was never to protect the people on the ship, but to protect the people in Japan. And now the Grand may be facing the same fate. US officials now get to make the choice: let even more people who have been knowingly infected move through the country as they return to their homes to self-isolate, or keep them all in one place, perhaps with better care than in Japan but still contained until they all recover or test negative 14 days after the last positive test. 

I fear soon we will run out of places to keep them.

• Like 1