Live Trip Report - Edge 2/16-23

WrittenOnYourHeart

On 2/10/2020 at 6:23 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Will be sailing on the Edge, second time March 15th- following along with you.  My only negative comment about our previous Edge sailing was a bad sewer smell by the martini bar a few days when we docked- is that problem gone?

It was gone when we sailed on the April 2019 TA😊

On 2/10/2020 at 6:10 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you so much! Yes, I try to be as positive as I can and look at the bright side of things. It has been hard at times on here, but I try. 😄

Nahh, you are a real trooper...

I look forward to your postings!

bon voyage

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 12:37 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you! 

I definitely will check it out! Likely cannot have the brownies as I am gluten-free due to a wheat allergy, but I can look at them and drool!

Ask in the MDR or OVC if they will prepare some gf brownies for you...

But be specific that you only want them one time, otherwise you will be loaded with them for the rest of the sailing!!!

bon voyage

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Well, a sad note...

My beloved cat apparently had a heart attack yesterday and crossed the Rainbow Bridge. 😪 I found his body when I got in from school and the vet said that it was likely his heart and he did not suffer.

My heart is broken, but I take comfort in imagining all my former dogs and birds welcoming him to their corner of heaven. And in not having to worry about getting “that” email from the pet sitter while on vacation (I have friends who lost a pet while they were away - it was horrible for them!)

Sorry for the damper. 😢

Four days of school left and then I head to Miami on Saturday.

My condolences...

Have a cocktail in his memory at sail away!

bon voyage

• Like 1

First of all, my condolences for the loss of your sweet cat. I lost my 19-year-old cat late last year, so I know how you feel—they are really part of our families and claim a piece of our hearts. Many hugs.

As for your cruise, given your dietary limitations, I am so excited for you to experience Celebrity! We are nearly food twins, as I am celiac, so I must eat gluten free, and I’m also allergic to scaled fish (but not shellfish). Due to family and friends’ preferences, I’ve cruised a lot of lines, but I always wish I were back on Celebrity, because they are by far the most GF-friendly mainstream line I have found.

While you should verify before eating anything—as always!—in general Celebrity doesn’t use flour in any of their soups or sauces, which means you can eat GF without being limited to just a couple of items or ordering everything plain. Their salad dressings are also GF. Having meals that are not only safe but also delicious makes a huge difference. On other lines, I feel I just eat to survive, but on Celebrity I can enjoy my meals like everyone else.

And if you have a sweet tooth, be sure to check the gluten-free dessert station at the buffet every day whether you eat there for meals or not, because they usually have an amazing display of choices—including items I’ve never seen anywhere else, like GF napoleons and GF Boston cream pie—and it’s all kept separate from the regular desserts, so you don’t need to worry about people contaminating the serving utensils. The selection changes for lunch and dinner, so if you love dessert, you’ll want to stop by both at noon and at night. :)

Happy cruising!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 4liberty said:

First of all, my condolences for the loss of your sweet cat. I lost my 19-year-old cat late last year, so I know how you feel—they are really part of our families and claim a piece of our hearts. Many hugs.

As for your cruise, given your dietary limitations, I am so excited for you to experience Celebrity! We are nearly food twins, as I am celiac, so I must eat gluten free, and I’m also allergic to scaled fish (but not shellfish). Due to family and friends’ preferences, I’ve cruised a lot of lines, but I always wish I were back on Celebrity, because they are by far the most GF-friendly mainstream line I have found.

While you should verify before eating anything—as always!—in general Celebrity doesn’t use flour in any of their soups or sauces, which means you can eat GF without being limited to just a couple of items or ordering everything plain. Their salad dressings are also GF. Having meals that are not only safe but also delicious makes a huge difference. On other lines, I feel I just eat to survive, but on Celebrity I can enjoy my meals like everyone else.

And if you have a sweet tooth, be sure to check the gluten-free dessert station at the buffet every day whether you eat there for meals or not, because they usually have an amazing display of choices—including items I’ve never seen anywhere else, like GF napoleons and GF Boston cream pie—and it’s all kept separate from the regular desserts, so you don’t need to worry about people contaminating the serving utensils. The selection changes for lunch and dinner, so if you love dessert, you’ll want to stop by both at noon and at night. 🙂

Happy cruising!

Thank you so much!! It is good to know that there are dessert options in the buffet since the MDR selections seem much more limited for gf things! Might have to skip MDR dessert and hit the buffet for that!

Did you eat at any of the specialty restaurants? Were they as accommodating?

Thank you everyone for your condolences. 

Yesterday morning was really tough as I was so accustomed to a paw in my face with meows for breakfast just after my alarm went off, and not having that brought everything back. Same this morning, but a bit less.

I’m taking comfort in my memories - and chuckling at how he was not on my “possibilities” list when I went to the ASPCA, but he kept pawing at my shoulder while I was trying to coax a little girl kitty out of her crate. He definitely picked me. ❤️

Four days to the cruise, three to Miami!!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you so much!! It is good to know that there are dessert options in the buffet since the MDR selections seem much more limited for gf things! Might have to skip MDR dessert and hit the buffet for that!

w - I think you will find 'most' if not all of the dining venues to be accommodating for sure.. Just give them at least 24 hours notice and if you choose, an idea of what to prepare.. often times they will give you the next nights menu to select from to change or decide what you might like. For myself, it was Chef's Choice just my dietary guidelines to followed.

It would not hurt to check in with the Maitre d' the morning or afternoon of your reservations so they will double check everything for you.

As for Eden, you will be delighted, or so I believe. I Am a low fat vegan and the Chef prepared five (5) distinct meals for me and they were delicious!

If you request something specific in the OVC or MDR for dessert, you will need to let them know it is for one time only otherwise as some of us have experienced, you will get it for the balance of the sailing in addition to whatever else you may want... LOL

Make sure you do a food blog section! The hits and misses...

bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

w - I think you will find 'most' if not all of the dining venues to be accommodating for sure.. Just give them at least 24 hours notice and if you choose, an idea of what to prepare.. often times they will give you the next nights menu to select from to change or decide what you might like. For myself, it was Chef's Choice just my dietary guidelines to followed.

It would not hurt to check in with the Maitre d' the morning or afternoon of your reservations so they will double check everything for you.

As for Eden, you will be delighted, or so I believe. I Am a low fat vegan and the Chef prepared five (5) distinct meals for me and they were delicious!

If you request something specific in the OVC or MDR for dessert, you will need to let them know it is for one time only otherwise as some of us have experienced, you will get it for the balance of the sailing in addition to whatever else you may want... LOL

Make sure you do a food blog section! The hits and misses...

Thank you so much!!!

I will definitely discuss the food - and try to remember to take pictures before I dig in. Ha!! I've had more than one cruise food picture with the food half eaten because I forgot. But I will try to be better!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you so much!!!

I will definitely discuss the food - and try to remember to take pictures before I dig in. Ha!! I've had more than one cruise food picture with the food half eaten because I forgot. But I will try to be better!!

LOL, no photos necessary... just the commentary on how you enjoyed it, was it a surprize, were you able to get a wide variety of foods prepared and what dish you absolutely fell in love with and in which venue (if you can only pick one! LOL)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL, no photos necessary... just the commentary on how you enjoyed it, was it a surprize, were you able to get a wide variety of foods prepared and what dish you absolutely fell in love with and in which venue (if you can only pick one! LOL)...

Gotcha! 🙂 I do have Select dining and am hitting each of the MDRs at least once!

I do remember - from when you mentioned Chef's Choice - a few years ago I was on a Royal cruise to Alaska with a running group (NOT a ship charter) and one of the couples was vegan and had that every night and by about halfway through the cruise, the rest of us were pondering being vegan their dishes looked so good (and they said they tasted good as well)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Gotcha! 🙂 I do have Select dining and am hitting each of the MDRs at least once!

I do remember - from when you mentioned Chef's Choice - a few years ago I was on a Royal cruise to Alaska with a running group (NOT a ship charter) and one of the couples was vegan and had that every night and by about halfway through the cruise, the rest of us were pondering being vegan their dishes looked so good (and they said they tasted good as well)!

LOL, there is only so many ways to prepare chicken, fish, beef or pork or unless one is into 'exotic' meats (like I have been in the distant pass) with sauces...

There are so many more different vegetables and a great number of ways to prepare them which are just fantastic, YET I do understand the desire for animal protein for sure..

Whatever you choose and desire enjoy it and enjoy it a great deal!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL, there is only so many ways to prepare chicken, fish, beef or pork or unless one is into 'exotic' meats (like I have been in the distant pass) with sauces...

There are so many more different vegetables and a great number of ways to prepare them which are just fantastic, YET I do understand the desire for animal protein for sure..

Whatever you choose and desire enjoy it and enjoy it a great deal!

Thank you!!

I am so sorry for the loss of your fur-baby.  It is so hard losing one.

While I am not gluten free, I really enjoyed the gf Coconut Macaroons in Cafe al Bacio on our last few Celebrity cruises.  They are in a jar on top of the pastry cabinet, so are not stored with other pastries.

I'll be vicariously sailing with you! We're booked on the TA on Apex in October so this feedback will help!

safe travels and have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

I am so sorry for the loss of your fur-baby.  It is so hard losing one.

While I am not gluten free, I really enjoyed the gf Coconut Macaroons in Cafe al Bacio on our last few Celebrity cruises.  They are in a jar on top of the pastry cabinet, so are not stored with other pastries.

I'll be vicariously sailing with you! We're booked on the TA on Apex in October so this feedback will help!

safe travels and have fun!

Thank you so much!!

11 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

That’s exactly what I do! I enjoy a nice 10-year tawny port on my drink package while everyone else eats dessert, then hit the buffet for much better GF options. 🙂

Yes, they’re very accommodating! They will already know your dietary limitations when you arrive, if you have let the cruise line know beforehand. It also doesn’t hurt to stop in the day before to let them know you’ll be there and make any special requests. I have never been disappointed at one of the specialty restaurants. I’m dreaming of GF Grand Marnier soufflé right now...and very happy I’ll be boarding Reflection next week!

• Like 1