how much was your pay as you go booze tab?

luckyinpa

# of days would be the minimum amount of info needed here. but add the ship/itinerary for more fun

im only looking for people that 'pay as you go' and do NOT have the booze package of any kind so at the end you gotta settle up. 

VERY curious to see if anyone really spent more than a package would have cost. 

• Like 1

We found on RC that most times two drinks ran about just over 25.00

A couple time above 

A couple times below

For a seven days cruise about 800.00 for both of us

Depends also how port intensive your cruise is

and how much you drink 😊

We each had between 4/5 drinks a day

Wine, martinis, beer mostly

The drink package would have been 1200 total for our cruise 

Edited by janetz

10 minutes ago, janetz said:

We found on RC that most times two drinks ran about just over 25.00

A couple time above 

A couple times below

For a seven days cruise about 800.00 for both of us

Depends also how port intensive your cruise is

and how much you drink 😊

We each had between 4/5 drinks a day

Wine, martinis, beer mostly

The drink package would have been 1200 total for our cruise 

$1200 drink package for 7 days for 2 would be $86.. pp pd.  No cruise planner package even comes close to that.  Most packages run around $70.pp pd after the 18% in the cruise planner.. + specialty coffee, smoothies and water are included in the package. 

On average based on about 100 days cruising on Princess for two of us is  about $80-$120 per day

much cheaper than the drink package at close to $180 per day for two of us

Buy mainly bottled wine, which flows from lunch to dinner, as well pre dinner drinks and some after dinner drink as well....

Cheers Don

36 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

$1200 drink package for 7 days for 2 would be $86.. pp pd.  No cruise planner package even comes close to that.  Most packages run around $70.pp pd after the 18% in the cruise planner.. + specialty coffee, smoothies and water are included in the package. 

Had a rccl package at under 50 not counting 18 percent about a year ago, mine was even cheaper since we are diamond plus which gives me 30 percent off. 

Nope - never have spent even close to what the package would cost. 

I have had a package once on a recent cruise as the total pricing for the perks included when compared to the pricing without them made sense to go the "all in" route.  But that decision was made primarily due to the amount of OBC ($450), paid gratuities and wifi.  The beverage package was essentially incidental to that in the total cost differential, which was about $250 pp. 

That all being said, other than that time, we never buy the package and always pay as we go and never have even come close to the cost as first mentioned. (In fairness, our loyalty status with the two lines we cruise also provides complimentary beverages, which is a big offset).

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

This is going to sound decadent.

A few weeks ago my wife and I finished a 15-day cruise on Princess.  I still have the folio that was delivered to my cabin on disembarkation day.  So, this number is pretty good.

$1197.38

These were all bottles of wine.  It includes $75.00 corkage fee I paid for bringing a few bottles of my own wine onboard.  The rest were for bottles purchased in the specialty restaurants or the wine bar.

Happily, we had $950 in OBC for this cruise.

It's been years since I've tried to pencil out the cost/benefit of the Princess beverage plan for us.  One of the difficulties I have with it is that it is my understanding that it is not valid for use in the wine bar.  I may be wrong about that.

After cabin fare, this was our biggest expense for this cruise.

Also, it was a great cruise.

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I document our expenses in a spread sheet when we return.  Based upon six seven day cruise in the Caribbean, we have yet to exceed $350 per cruise total for the both of us.  We do not do shore excursions or even leave the ship when in port so port days don't matter.

56 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We do not do shore excursions or even leave the ship when in port so port days don't matter.

Would it be cheaper to just build a pool in your backyard...if you never go ashore 🙂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Sorry but on the Symphony in January, with gratuities that was the cost for our cruise 

• Haha 1

Last cruise, on Viking to South America....18 days.  We stopped at vineyards for wine tastings and bought 7 bottles of wine (brought 3 home) on the way to the ship for about $100.  Total bill was $160 for alcohol we bought on board.  Booze package would have been over $500.  We had 8 sea days.  Our drink tab has always been less than what the Silver Spirits package would be on every cruise we have been on.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Would it be cheaper to just build a pool in your backyard...if you never go ashore 🙂

You don’t build a pool , you buy a house that already has a pool 😁, I can use mine about 6 months out of the year . But there is that other 6 months 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, George C said:

You don’t build a pool , you buy a house that already has a pool 😁, I can use mine about 6 months out of the year . But there is that other 6 months 

Whereas we use our spa/hot tub the "other 6 months" 🙂 

2 minutes ago, clo said:

A cocktail at "5 o'clock somewhere" is perfect. Especially when it's snowing out.

Vaguely remember snow from my youth in New York. We totally splurged for our cruise in a couple of days and have a small hot tub on our balcony , have a royal suite on celebrity. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

# of days would be the minimum amount of info needed here. but add the ship/itinerary for more fun

im only looking for people that 'pay as you go' and do NOT have the booze package of any kind so at the end you gotta settle up. 

VERY curious to see if anyone really spent more than a package would have cost. 

CCL Pride, around $700 for 7 day cruise which includes a bottle for the cabin purchased before the trip. We wanted to see if a drink package would work for us so if we wanted a drink we got one, including specialty coffee and soda. We did end up getting a drink package on our next cruise (with Royal) and the total was around $750 for the package. We did end up trying a whole lot of drinks that we'd never tried before and found some new favorites, but probably won't do another drink package.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1