Princess wont refund me for cancelled trip

Veerraj

8 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

It is nice to see a business doing exactly what they should do for their customers.  Bravo!   The %25 off on a future cruise is a really nice touch and smart business.

It's a 25% credit of the fare paid for the canceled cruises. Someone who paid $5,000 will see a $1,250 credit on their account. Someone who paid $3,000 would have a $750 credit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jetstreamer said:

Will Princess cover cancellation fees for non-refundable air tickets booked independently?  The link below suggests they might?

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/RefundRequestGuide.pdf

I read that form and it appears that it does cover reimbursement of independent airline, car rental, hotel bookings for bookings that were cancelled by Princess.  It doesn't look like this is for those who cancelled on their own.  May end up being the same benefits but it may not.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:12 AM, voljeep said:

I believe the 'free upgrade' to the 100% CFAR actually begins at the Ruby level

pay for regular - get the upgrade

I highlighted 2 words, I was prepared to pay to upgrade GD14s insurance but she's gold and it was free. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Momma Mojito said:

This is the reason we always buy cruise insurance !

When we drive somewhere we always have auto insurance to cover just about everything.  When we cruise, often to global destinations, we also need as much coverage as is possible.  So many needs can happen, unexpectedly, some requiring airlifts and bank-busting cash.  Ignore insurance at your peril.

On returning home without the call on your insurance, which you must agree was an expensive add-on, celebrate that you never once suffered an injury, didn't get sick, and had absolutely no need for the insurance.

2 hours ago, Momma Mojito said:

This is the reason we always buy cruise insurance !

Edited by 2old4this
  • Like 1

Our Asian cruise was cancelled nearly 2 weeks ago by Princess. They will refund our cruise fare and are in the process of refunding any non refundable portion of our independently booked flights and hotel in Singapore. In addition, we have 50% toward a future cruise (we've already booked it). They refunded shore excursion money into our account earlier this week. 

To the original poster - you chose to cancel your cruise because of fear, and not trusting Princess to do the right thing. Perhaps a little patience and less knee-jerk reaction may have given you a different outcome. Read your passenger contract, or book through an experienced travel agent next time. 

The whole cruise/travel industry is suffering at the moment. Covid 19 is an evolving situation - everyone is learning and adapting their response to it. 

I would hate to be working for Princess in a financial/customer service capacity. They must be under enormous pressure trying to respond to all the complaints and enquiries from customers.  Perhaps we need to temper our first world expectations ......?

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, Vivi13 said:

Our Asian cruise was cancelled nearly 2 weeks ago by Princess. They will refund our cruise fare and are in the process of refunding any non refundable portion of our independently booked flights and hotel in Singapore. In addition, we have 50% toward a future cruise (we've already booked it). They refunded shore excursion money into our account earlier this week. 

To the original poster - you chose to cancel your cruise because of fear, and not trusting Princess to do the right thing. Perhaps a little patience and less knee-jerk reaction may have given you a different outcome. Read your passenger contract, or book through an experienced travel agent next time. 

The whole cruise/travel industry is suffering at the moment. Covid 19 is an evolving situation - everyone is learning and adapting their response to it. 

I would hate to be working for Princess in a financial/customer service capacity. They must be under enormous pressure trying to respond to all the complaints and enquiries from customers.  Perhaps we need to temper our first world expectations ......?

Good on yah mate!  Sparkling and useful response to a subject we have been thrashing about for far too long.  You restored my loyalty to Princess.  I am booked for the July Iceland 16 days to New York and praying the disease and much of the fears about them will be behind us by then.

i worked in Austrailia for a year in 1990 and my position took me to Perth one time.  I was dealing with the police back then.  My office was in Brisbane with that state's crime commission.  Jack 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 2old4this said:

Good on yah mate!  Sparkling and useful response to a subject we have been thrashing about for far too long.  You restored my loyalty to Princess.  I am booked for the July Iceland 16 days to New York and praying the disease and much of the fears about them will be behind us by then.

i worked in Austrailia for a year in 1990 and my position took me to Perth one time.  I was dealing with the police back then.  My office was in Brisbane with that state's crime commission.  Jack 

Airlines will begin scrambling like never seen before.  People see the planes as confined breathing spaces where catching Corona, when present, is certain.  Maybe, just maybe, airlines will start removing rows of seats and giving legroom to everyone as part of their attraction efforts.  Maybe, also, peanuts will include water or soft drinks to soften thoughts of Coronavirus.  We passengers have power over cruise and airlines and hotels, too, and we should wield it at every opportunity.  Jack 

Edited by 2old4this
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 2old4this said:

Airlines will begin scrambling like never seen before.  People see the planes as confined breathing spaces where catching Corona, when present, is certain.  Maybe, just maybe, airlines will start removing rows of seats and giving legroom to everyone as part of their attraction efforts.  Maybe, also, peanuts will include water or soft drinks to soften thoughts of Coronavirus.  We passengers have power over cruise and airlines and hotels, too, and we should wield it at every opportunity.  Jack 

Even if the airlines were to remove seats, it would be years before that happens.  The cabins would have to be re-engineered, cabin evacuation analyzed,  very major effort.  Are you prepared to pay an increased fare?  If they removed 20% of the seats, the fares would increase proportionally.

13 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Even if the airlines were to remove seats, it would be years before that happens.  The cabins would have to be re-engineered, cabin evacuation analyzed,  very major effort.

They managed to add more and more seats without any of that happening. Removing seats will not cause any such problems.

(But I agree it will never happen.)

• Like 2

Nary a peep from the OP?

Many similar posts in the Celebrity forum about people cancelling Millenium cruises before Celebrity did, then griping and threatening ("I will never cruise with them again!") because the cancellation fees were not waived. Which they were, retroactively, just as done by Princess here.

And, as here, the biggest gripers never came back to admit the cruise line had acted pretty generously, indeed, far more than required under the contract. 

• Like 3

JetBlue just announced an interesting marketing strategy: free CFAR on new bookings made between Feb 27 & March 11 on flights through June 1.  In essence, they just made booking flights on their flights risk-free (financially speaking.)  That should encourage more people to book with them in these uncertain times.  Maybe the cruise lines might want to take a look at this type of policy.

Per JetBlue's website:  "Due to evolving coronavirus concerns, we are suspending JetBlue change and cancel fees for all new flight bookings made between February 27, 2020 and March 11, 2020 for travel through June 1, 2020."

Interesting approach...:classic_dry: 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

JetBlue just announced an interesting marketing strategy: free CFAR on new bookings made between Feb 27 & March 11 on flights through June 1.  In essence, they just made booking flights on their flights risk-free (financially speaking.)  That should encourage more people to book with them in these uncertain times.  Maybe the cruise lines might want to take a look at this type of policy.

Per JetBlue's website:  "Due to evolving coronavirus concerns, we are suspending JetBlue change and cancel fees for all new flight bookings made between February 27, 2020 and March 11, 2020 for travel through June 1, 2020."

Interesting approach...:classic_dry: 

American Airlines sent me something similar yesterday, for all bookings made this month, they've allowed cancellations up to 14 days prior to departure with full refund. The 14 days struck me as interesting given it's the standard quarantine time now.

14 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Nary a peep from the OP?

Many similar posts in the Celebrity forum about people cancelling Millenium cruises before Celebrity did, then griping and threatening ("I will never cruise with them again!") because the cancellation fees were not waived. Which they were, retroactively, just as done by Princess here.

And, as here, the biggest gripers never came back to admit the cruise line had acted pretty generously, indeed, far more than required under the contract. 

Nary............

The usual idle threats. They'll be back.  🙄

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Nary a peep from the OP?

Mayleeman:  Too many of we cruisers write our first words of complaint on any given cruise-related subject emotionally and not delay much to gather further evidence.  Too often we strike out while hoping we will gain a following and thus can demand change through supporter numbers.  You and I sometimes read these initial remarks by the swift complainers, think about them, and frequently find our own delays were worth the pausing.

The various cruise and airlines don't want to offend and drive away their loyal passengers.  Given a few days into a crisis in travel like Corona, the various lines scramble to save their businesses, make adjustments where they can, and make offers few of us can refuse.  I am naturally positive on such things and expect my July cruise on Island Princess to be all it can be.  Jack 

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf

Edited by 2old4this
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have an update. The Princess agent called me yesterday and stated that I will not be getting a refund in cash. I will only be getting 50 percent future cruise credit. Did you guys get your refunds?

The agent said that despite the fact Princess cancelling their voyage, I had cancelled first and thus wont be getting the refund in cash.

Just now, Veerraj said:

So I have an update. The Princess agent called me yesterday and stated that I will not be getting a refund in cash. I will only be getting 50 percent future cruise credit. Did you guys get your refunds?

The agent said that despite the fact Princess cancelling their voyage, I had cancelled first and thus wont be getting the refund in cash.

When did you cancel and under what circumstances?

5 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Well I cancelled  on around Feb 11th, the cutoff before 30 day mark. I mean by cancelling within the 30 day time frame I was able to get 50 percent back. My reason was it was too risky to travel due to Coronavirus. I am pasting the email below from Princess. Basically as per the email my understanding was that I will be getting the remaining 50 percent (cancellation penalty) plus future cruise credit. I was told by the agent that I would only be getting 50 percent in future credit only because I cancelled at my own will. The agent kept stating this. I am confused now

Dear Princess Guest:

As you may be aware, we have recently made several voyage cancellations due to the lack of predictability regarding port availability in our Asia itineraries.

Our records show that you cancelled your Sapphire Princess cruise departing March 12, 2020 (Voyage H010) on or after January 20, 2020. As this was a voyage we made the decision to cancel, you will be reimbursed for the cancellation fees incurred and, if purchased, the cost of Princess Vacation Protection.

To avoid confusion, please be aware that your refund for any amount not subject to the cancellation fee schedule such as pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items purchased through Princess Cruises, and taxes, fees, and port expenses will be processed and returned to the original method of payment used to pay for your cruise.

The reimbursement for any cancellation fees incurred will be provided in the form of a check and will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to process. Please note that refunds are paid per guest rather than per booking and the check will be delivered in a standard envelope addressed from Bottomline Technologies.

As a gesture of goodwill, you will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 50% of the cruise fare paid on this voyage. The credit may be applied to any future Princess cruise that sails by February 28, 2021 or any existing booking not yet paid in full and is non-refundable and non-transferable.

That credit will be applied to each guest’s Captain’s Circle account by March 31, 2020. To use your credit, please contact your travel advisor or call us at 1-800-774-6237 (North America), 0344 338 8663 (UK), 13 24 88 (Australia), or 0800 780 717 (New Zealand). 

It is our sincere hope that the refund and Future Cruise Credit will help you to create new cruise memories with us in the near future.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises 

3 hours ago, staygulf said:

I was afraid cancelling early might impact refunding.  I am in no hurry now and will wait until the last possible minute to wrap it.  Truth is, I'm determined to go and I want it to happen.  When they report they can't fulfill the contract and Island Princess remains idle, I will request cash back.  Losing cash is a bad way to close out a cruise.  Sorry to read of it.  Jack 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WYB! said:

Hello,

The airline refunded me the cost of the non-refundable purchased ticket.

I was able to cancel all of my hotel reservations.

How did you manage this with the airline  or thru insurance?