DAILY SERVICE INCREASE AGAIN?????

drumming cruisers

6 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

They say it on their website, why should they send you something everytime they raise the DSC.  All you have to do, if you want to know, is go to their website and pull up FAQ.

They have to send out something because it is a price increase over what you agreed to when you booked.  You can avoid the increase by paying in advance

Just now, julig22 said:

They have to send out something because it is a price increase over what you agreed to when you booked.  You can avoid the increase by paying in advance

I wasn't talking about them sending something out about the increase, that is something they should do, but the poster said the letter didn't say anything about crew compensation and I said it is on the website, so no reason to put it on a letter raising the DSC.

that you choose not to utilize the services available by the staff is your decision. im very happy and delighted to see my cabin stewards, they have always been helpful and cheerful, nevr once have i had to ask for ice, always inthe bucket, i ask for extra bath towels, and they arrive daily, why would you want to make your own bed? do you do the same staying in a hotel. i suggest you lightenup, enjoy whats available, and stop being a grump. i enjoy having the butler bring daily goodies, and if you dont want to eat at the mdr, cough up a little extra and splurge at the specialty restaurants. it just sounds like you have a major aversion to having a good time, or just going with the flow. enjoy being pampered instead of complaining

53 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Let’s do some math here.  The Joy.  
3883 passengers. X. 108.50.   =421,305.50 

divided by 1700 employees.  = 247.82     

do you think each person gets 247.82 each.    
I think not.   where’s the money really going.   

even if a few take off the DSC. 
3500x108.50=379,750.   
divided by 223.38.   

do you think what’s what every crew member gets.  

I think not.    

422DF7F3-C306-420C-ABB4-DA132194ABB1.png

A bit over $200 a week in gratuities doesn’t seem that crazy given the amount of hours of these people are putting in. Bartenders and servers on land can pull that in one shift.

ok last question. I understand I can go to the desk and adjust my gratuities if i'm not satisfied with some service or if I decided to give some of my gratuities in cash directly to people. Somebody above said that isn't a problem. 1 person said it could be adjusted and credited to onboard charge folio and another said you have to fill out form and they would mail it. My question is if we decide to prepay at the old rate before we go will they still adjust it onboard or should we not prepay the gratuities and have them put it on our room folio and adjust then. sorry I know I have a lot of questions. Guess i'm used to the old days with envelopes and you tip how you feel. I would like to feel that the ones who go above and beyond are given a good part of the tip and the ones who really don't don't get as much. Now understand that I am a good tipper for service at home. It's just what I prefer to do is pay in cash. I'm not asking to adjust the whold amout of the gratuities just maybe a few dollars a day so that we can give the ones who go above and beyond the difference in cash. thank you

11 minutes ago, debbyfelse1963 said:

My question is if we decide to prepay at the old rate before we go will they still adjust it onboard or should we not prepay the gratuities and have them put it on our room folio and adjust then.

if you prepay before you sail, you are locked into the current old rate and it will not be adjusted

if you do not prepay and wait until they automatically post the daily service charge to your room foilo, then they will adjust with new higher price

6 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

If an employee receives enough complaints about his job performances, he or she could risk getting fired.  IWhat does IDGAD mean?  I'm not good with acronyms.

IDGAD = I Don't Give A D@#@$@

Edited by ready2cruzagain

6 minutes ago, debbyfelse1963 said:

ok last question. I understand I can go to the desk and adjust my gratuities if i'm not satisfied with some service or if I decided to give some of my gratuities in cash directly to people. Somebody above said that isn't a problem. 1 person said it could be adjusted and credited to onboard charge folio and another said you have to fill out form and they would mail it. My question is if we decide to prepay at the old rate before we go will they still adjust it onboard or should we not prepay the gratuities and have them put it on our room folio and adjust then. sorry I know I have a lot of questions. Guess i'm used to the old days with envelopes and you tip how you feel. I would like to feel that the ones who go above and beyond are given a good part of the tip and the ones who really don't don't get as much. Now understand that I am a good tipper for service at home. It's just what I prefer to do is pay in cash. I'm not asking to adjust the whold amout of the gratuities just maybe a few dollars a day so that we can give the ones who go above and beyond the difference in cash. thank you

No you can't adjust it if you prepay. They haven't had envelopes for like a decade. If you're a good tipper at home why would you then give less then the expected amount on a cruise? Ie if you give 15-20% at home for expected or good service but give over 20% for great service - supply the same to cruises. The DSC is equivalent to the 15-20% and any extra you give out would be the 20+. Taking money out of the DSC to give to individuals doesn't necessarily mean that person would get more than if you left the DSC as we don't know how it's split up. 

And all that before you get to the point that you likely won't have the same waiter so you'd need to bring cash to each meal and deal with deciding whether they deserve you leaving more for that meal or not. 

Blech, gimme the DSC and the equivalent of giving them that 15-20%. Then I can give out a bit more if anyone is excellent or fill out a hero card for them. 

27 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

A bit over $200 a week in gratuities doesn’t seem that crazy given the amount of hours of these people are putting in. Bartenders and servers on land can pull that in one shift.

So you think the maintanence workers , engine crew, officers, spa personal ,customer service workers and all the other people behind the scenes are getting part of the DSC ???   They are part of the 1700 employees. Why would they get a piece of the DSC.???    
even if say 

For instance there 1875 cabins on the Joy.   And each steward handles about 15 cabins each.   That’s 117 stewards.  

so many unanswered questions about the DSC.   

49 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

A bit over $200 a week in gratuities doesn’t seem that crazy given the amount of hours of these people are putting in. Bartenders and servers on land can pull that in one shift

Couple things.

A gratuity is based on service. A wage is based on hours of work.

Since NCL won't do it I break down my daily charges as follows, at $14.50 per person or day.

For two people, I figure $10 per day total for the steward. A $25 breakfast tab at 15%, or $3.75, another $25 for lunch at 15%, or $3.75, $60 for dinner at 15% or $9.00, and then $2.50 per day for whatever work is done behind the scenes that we enjoy but don't see. I think that breaks out to $29 per day for two people or $14.50 per person. Some days we are ashore and don't eat lunch, but then sometimes we eat at OSheehans late night. It all works itself out.

More than fair for the services received and is comparable to what we tip on land. If we want to recognize exceptional service, that would be done via cash at the time the service is rendered.

5 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

So you think the maintanence workers , engine crew, officers, spa personal ,customer service workers and all the other people behind the scenes are getting part of the DSC ???   They are part of the 1700 employees. Why would they get a piece of the DSC.???    
even if say 

For instance there 1875 cabins on the Joy.   And each steward handles about 15 cabins each.   That’s 117 stewards.  

so many unanswered questions about the DSC.   

YES - true so many unanswered questions - - -

Who gets entitlement to the DSC.

I am presuming that the ships officers and managers do not share in this like big corporations.

The visible wait staff bartenders restaurant host/ess receive tips

The dishwashers cooks laundry and janitorial staff the people unseen would be the big benefactors of the DSC.

Then there are the engine room people electricians maintenance (plumbers painters always something being painted)

pool hot tub attendants towel shack deck hands that drag the noisy lounge furniture around during sleepy time and

the list goes on - - -

Is the DSC divided equally or allotted more to one work category than another ?

YES so many unanswered questions and yet we pay the DSC without question ?

4 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

YES - true so many unanswered questions - - -

Who gets entitlement to the DSC.

I am presuming that the ships officers and managers do not share in this like big corporations.

The visible wait staff bartenders restaurant host/ess receive tips

The dishwashers cooks laundry and janitorial staff the people unseen would be the big benefactors of the DSC.

Then there are the engine room people electricians maintenance (plumbers painters always something being painted)

pool hot tub attendants towel shack deck hands that drag the noisy lounge furniture around during sleepy time and

the list goes on - - -

Is the DSC divided equally or allotted more to one work category than another ?

YES so many unanswered questions and yet we pay the DSC without question ?

Supposably  the bartenders don’t get dsc.  And yes. So many unanswered questions. 

I feel the cruise line isn’t being fare when it comes to those charges.    

37 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Supposably  the bartenders don’t get dsc.  And yes. So many unanswered questions. 

Wait is all this chatter about 50 cents extra a day per person? Yikes

I have a small question, it will probably never happen as I always pay the DSC and have never even thought about removing it.

On my next cruise, for the first time I have prepaid the DSC, if something wet really badly wrong and I did feel I needed to adjust it, can you still do this?

Please don't misunderstand, I have no intention of removing it right now but if the situation arose, is it still an option.

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

I have a small question, it will probably never happen as I always pay the DSC and have never even thought about removing it.

On my next cruise, for the first time I have prepaid the DSC, if something wet really badly wrong and I did feel I needed to adjust it, can you still do this?

Please don't misunderstand, I have no intention of removing it right now but if the situation arose, is it still an option.

My understanding is that if you prepay, you are locked in totally so the only adjustment possible is upward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, debbyfelse1963 said:

Hi sorry have a question about adjusting tip/gratuity at end of cruise or prior to disembarking. Do you just go to the desk and tell them you are giving cash tips and want to adjust your gratuities. Do they tell you how much you can adjust or do you tell them how much?  Is it given back as credit on room bill or as somebody stated do you have to fill out form and they mail it back to you or credit the card you used to originally pay if you paid prior to boarding. We are booked way in advance for a transatlantic cruise April, 2021. Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance.

Yes you just go and ask them that, has to be done 1 or 2 days before the cruise ends. Ive always asked for total removal, but you can request partial.

You can say you are giving car or whatever you want.

Its given back as credit, basicly you are charged for them anway and then its returned, if you didnt prepay for them.

If you prepaid for them, then you can do it anyway and it goes back to your credit card. This slower and more complicated and prone to issues so dont prepay ever!

So this is the way Disney does it. Remember that your server's stay with you every night in each of the restaurants.

Recommended gratuities are $4 per person (adult or child), per day, for the dining room server; $3 per person, per day, for the assistant server; $1 per person, per day, for the head server; and $4 per person, per day, for the room steward.

Not saying this is how NCL does it, but gives you a idea.

Also we heard last week that the Bartenders were getting 80% of 20% automatic tips on the drink package or if paying cash.

Please give your servers a $1 or 2 if they take good care of you! It really helps them out and some of them are making your drinks for you(faster service).

Someone mentioned the bartenders don’t get a share of the dsc, however they share the gratuity charge attached to the various drink packages.

As someone from a country that doesn’t have a tipping culture the double standard in minimum wage levels for people working in a “service” industry is plain sickening.  
it’ll be interesting to see how virgin voyages gets along with service quality since they are not charging gratuities or service charges. 
for my first 3 ncl cruises the dsc was built into the base price, I don’t know what country caused it to be stripped out but eu law requires all elements that are part of the base cost have to be included which is why the prices we see already have port charges and taxes included. Someone obviously managed to convince the authorities that dsc is optional and shouldn’t be included. Until there are world-wide agreements on labour law we’re always going to have these sorts of culture clashes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Someone mentioned the bartenders don’t get a share of the dsc, however they share the gratuity charge attached to the various drink packages.

As someone from a country that doesn’t have a tipping culture the double standard in minimum wage levels for people working in a “service” industry is plain sickening.  
it’ll be interesting to see how virgin voyages gets along with service quality since they are not charging gratuities or service charges. 
for my first 3 ncl cruises the dsc was built into the base price, I don’t know what country caused it to be stripped out but eu law requires all elements that are part of the base cost have to be included which is why the prices we see already have port charges and taxes included. Someone obviously managed to convince the authorities that dsc is optional and shouldn’t be included. Until there are world-wide agreements on labour law we’re always going to have these sorts of culture clashes. 

So where is a good ole Irish rebellion when we need one ?

One uniform fare fee gratuity policy no matter what country side of the big pond you are from !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

And that is most likely why it keeps going up, they have to collect a certain amount to pay the crew, so when more remove it, the more it goes up every year.

no.

its more because of yearly raises negotiated by the crew union. (see previous page for link)

i think our cabin  tips do NOT supplement the crew's  income. 

it's to pay a portion of their base income so that NCL pays less out of pocket.

the crew dont see any $ above what's stated on their contract. 

but they dont see any less either.

if people remove dsc, ncl has to put in more $ to make up for the $ shortage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I think if NCL would have just said they discontinued the DSC and then waited a month or two to raise the prices, it could have worked.  But many in these folks in these countries just refuse to pay the DSC whether it is in the DSC or fare.

Seems to be working fine in the UK for Marella, P&O and MSC that sell with gratuities included fares

IN Europe NCL tried PREMIUM AI which included grats and drinks at higher prices I suspect it was the drinks that put people off as not everyone wants inflated prices for drinks they don't want.

9 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Yes, I am being a grammatical *****..... Supposably is NOT a word!!!!!!  It is a huge pet peeve.

Supposedly, OTOH, is what you mean, I will pay any tip as they work hard and I do not.

20 minutes ago, cruisin07family said:

Yes, I am being a grammatical *****..... Supposably is NOT a word!!!!!!  It is a huge pet peeve.

Supposedly, OTOH, is what you mean, I will pay any tip as they work hard and I do not.

And I have big thumbs.  And the iPhone sometimes doesn’t pick up what I actually mean.  But thanks professor. 
and I work hard and play hard and I’ll pay a tip to someone’s who’s deserving of it.  

Edited by Ptroxx