Kids MDR Dress Code

The last time I sailed Celebrity with my kids, now 11 and 15, my son rarely joined us at dinner in the MDR and when he did it was short lived.  He's now much more of a foodie, but also very much a stubborn 11 year old boy.  He wears athletic shorts and dry fit shirts in 0 degree weather and getting him to wear pants is not going to happen.  For the formal night we have tentatively agreed to khaki shorts, boat shoes, and a polo.  Will this fly?  I have no problems enforcing the dress code rule with him, so if it has to be pants then he can't come to the dining room for dinner.  I just want to make sure I know what the deal will be.  The 15 year old, a girl, has dresses picked out for each night, so I've got one that will be dress code appropriate.  My husband knows the drill for formal night, but the remainder of the nights he will wear designer jeans and a polo, to adhere to the rules as well.  Any advice on kids dress code is much appreciated.  Again, I will hold the line with him if he can't wear shorts on formal night, or any of the nights for that matter.

Dress code doesn't have an age limit.  Some individuals may report specific instances where people got away with it, but the requested dress excludes shorts in the evening for all ages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Thank you.  I’m not sure he’ll do it but that’ll be his choice if he chooses not to go to dinner.  

He's old enough to understand that the rules apply to him too. Personally, I wouldn't give him the choice of not dining with the rest of the family and I'd insist that he wear long pants for dinner. No 11 year old should be dictating to his parents what he will or won't wear. 

• Like 7

I knew that would come up as a recommendation.  He has significant diagnosed mental health issues so there are some mitigating factors and in the ongoing daily battles it’s not one I care enough about.  As a general rule, I agree.   My other child is neurotyoical and we would never allow her to dictate and I’m a teacher and husband a police officer and we believe that rules apply to all.  While many will agree with the poster who told me what to do, when you have a kid like that there are battles you fight and others that you simply have to look at differently for the sake of everyone’s mental health.  I will have pants for him and if he can bring himself to put them on great and if not then he doesn’t eat in the dining room. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I knew that would come up as a recommendation.  He has significant diagnosed mental health issues so there are some mitigating factors and in the ongoing daily battles it’s not one I care enough about.  As a general rule, I agree.   My other child is neurotyoical and we would never allow her to dictate and I’m a teacher and husband a police officer and we believe that rules apply to all.  While many will agree with the poster who told me what to do, when you have a kid like that there are battles you fight and others that you simply have to look at differently for the sake of everyone’s mental health.  I will have pants for him and if he can bring himself to put them on great and if not then he doesn’t eat in the dining room. 

You sound like a wonderful caring Mom and are looking at this with an open mind.   Good luck.   You may just find that he enjoys a new experience.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Ah, that sheds a whole new light on the issue. I based my comments on the available information, but now understand the dilemma you face. Given the situation, I wonder if it would be worth your while approaching the maître d' to explain the situation and ask if it would be possible to make an exception. 

Good luck. I hope it all turns out to everyone's satisfaction and that you all enjoy a wonderful cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Thank you.  He loves cruises.

Maybe you can phrase it in terms of ‘You’d really appreciate the food in the MDR, it’s part of the cruise experience!’  Especially if he’s a budding foodie. 

3 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I knew that would come up as a recommendation.  He has significant diagnosed mental health issues so there are some mitigating factors and in the ongoing daily battles it’s not one I care enough about.   

I don't mean to sound critical, but this is an important factor .  You should have started your comment with this critical information.  Reading your original post, my first reaction was he's 11, you're the parent, then parent. Don't let an 11 year old control YOUR life.  The issue you relate is different.  

Not sure cruise critic is the correct place to ask for advice concerning someone who has mental health issues. Will khaki shorts, boat shoes, and a polo shirt "fly" on formal night?  Not in my house.  Will he get looks?  Maybe, probably.   But I doubt anyone will say anything.  Not sure how tight Celebrity is on dress code. But only you can decide if it's appropriate.  

4 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

not having all the info, I'm going out on a limb here, if he has a neurological condition where certain tactile stimulation is uncomfortable, then Celebrity would more than likely be only too happy to accommodate him.  

they actually have some certification in special needs cruisers:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs/guests-with-autism

don't know if this fits your situation, but hopefully it's helpful 

Happy cruising with your family :)

• Thanks 1

Autism on the Seas arranges dress code exemptions for its clients, so this is a request that cruise lines should be familiar with. Contact Celebrity's special needs department. They can answer the question of what is and isn't appropriate, and what allowances can be made.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jolinda said:

Autism on the Seas arranges dress code exemptions for its clients, so this is a request that cruise lines should be familiar with. Contact Celebrity's special needs department. They can answer the question of what is and isn't appropriate, and what allowances can be made.

Great idea. They can also request dining table preferences too, for example, side of the room, near a door or family only table if any of those things would make your son’s experience better. 

I also suggest on boarding that you or your husband briefly meet with the M’D who will be at a podium outside the MDR sorting out table changes etc. Just confirm with him what your son will be wearing and that he will not be challenged...

Special needs can also alert the children’s club to your son’s special needs too. Again on boarding you could head over to visit. They don’t usually have activities going on at that time but have staff available to discuss activities and answer any questions.

Hope you have a fantastic family holiday!

I have to agree with other posters. The dress code is the same for adults and children.

Now, will an 11 year old be turned away for wearing shorts on a "non-formal" night? Probably not. But the dress code does say (at least to the best of my knowledge) no shorts.

To the OP, I do understand that there are concerns with your son and picking your battles. But on the flipside, your son will also need to learn that there are environments that he just needs to suck it up and wear pants. Given the choice, I'd live in sweatpants all day, every day. But, I'll change into jeans or khakis if the occasion requires it.

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Here's a tread from the past that may help-  

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2246573-dress-code-for-children/

I chuckled when I clicked on the link and saw that is the question I posted almost 4 years ago.  
Just an update - No shorts wore worn in the MDR.  My granddaughter looked lovely in her dresses and my grandson happily wore a suit on chic nights and trousers, shirts and bowties on the other nights.  We're all still cruising and remain a "no shorts at dinner" family!  Thanks for the memory! 😉

18 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Get him a pair of pants that the legs zip off.  He can zip them off the minute he leaves the MDR.  EM

Thanks, never thought of that....

I Am sure this will help many men who like to dress in shorts all the time, as well...''

bon voyage

While not on celebrity, we got our formal nights mixed up and showed up in very casual clothes for dinner.  We were one of the first there, so didn't realize by looking at other patrons.  We got a bit of an odd look, but they didn't say anything and sat us.  Then others started arriving all dressed up.  Oops. We felt dumb, it was just a mistake and had they said something, we would have gone back and changed. But they let us in anyway.

So, if you do try to get an exception, or just show up, I'd say go really early to minimize how out of place he may look.

18 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Thank you.  I’m not sure he’ll do it but that’ll be his choice if he chooses not to go to dinner.  

LOL, at least you will have the long pants available for him to change his mind...

Also, if he goes to the camp and sees his friends there dressing up, his thoughts might change for dinner totally.... but you know your child best.

bon voyage