Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

Given that Princess has had two ships quarantined in the last month, I think that the phrase 'out of an abundance of caution' will come into play in their decision-making, and understandably so.

Edited by rabidstoat
tiny typo
  • Like 2

I've been monitoring marinetraffic.com all day, and it now appears that the Grand Princess has broken away from cruising in circles, and could be headed directly toward the entrance to San Francisco Bay. I'm hesitant to draw the conclusion that the ship is definitely headed to the SF Bay Area, because I was wrong yesterday. However, the ship is now past the spot where it met the Coast Guard cutter this morning..

The next several hours will be interesting to watch.

8 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Lack of crew available?

I read on another post that either Pence or someone else said the feds are monitoring a 3rd princess ship because it had crew from both diamond and grand on it.  Possibly the royal princess.  No announcement was made which ship it was.

5 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

No, on the news conference they confirmed that there was a crew member who had transferred from the Grand to the Royal recently.  That crew member was said to be healthy but they are looking into the situation.

They also pointed out that the transfer was more than two weeks ago.

Other things in the news conference:

a) Princess has no idea where the ship will be told to go

b) Princess has no idea what will happen with the passengers and crew (other than testing) once it gets to this unknown destination

c) Princess has no idea when any of the information will be told to them

d) Princess hopes decisions will be told to them in time to forward to the ship before the information is broadcast instead first on national news

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I read on another post that either Pence or someone else said the feds are monitoring a 3rd princess ship because it had crew from both diamond and grand on it.  Possibly the royal princess.  No announcement was made which ship it was.

It was the Royal Princess. Chief Medical Officer confirmed it. He also said the 1 crew member was cleared by the CDC yesterday for not showing any symptoms after 15 days... Not sure what the holdup is; we find out at 5 PM of her seaworthiness

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

They also pointed out that the transfer was more than two weeks ago.

Other things in the news conference:

a) Princess has no idea where the ship will be told to go

b) Princess has no idea what will happen with the passengers and crew (other than testing) once it gets to this unknown destination

c) Princess has no idea when any of the information will be told to them

d) Princess hopes decisions will be told to them in time to forward to the ship before the information is broadcast instead first on national news

Yep!  Pretty clear from the language that they used that they were anxiously awaiting the various agencies to communicate the plans to them but stopped short of maligning those agencies.

• Like 1

I am sure Princess website has the ship phone numbers, or call Princess Head Office for the number.

When you call the regular princess 800 number the first thing they offer is a link to someone to help connect you to the grand princess You might try that

Sent from my iPad using Forums

9 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I've been monitoring marinetraffic.com all day, and it now appears that the Grand Princess has broken away from cruising in circles, and could be headed directly toward the entrance to San Francisco Bay. I'm hesitant to draw the conclusion that the ship is definitely headed to the SF Bay Area, because I was wrong yesterday. However, the ship is now past the spot where it met the Coast Guard cutter this morning..

The next several hours will be interesting to watch.

I've been doing the same thing. Hopefully we know more soon!

The LA Times article linked by another poster above is really troubling.

"Tarling said two waiters who served the man multiple times were subsequently infected."

So that means at minimum the Grand had two dining stewards who became infected on the prior cruise, serving meals for several days on this cruise... presumably they also came in frequent close contact with people who work in the galley.   Everybody should be taken off that ship as soon as practicable and put in isolation.

• Like 3

You mean to tell me that our government and medical experts can't find a place for the Grand too dock and yet they have not forced the cruise industry to shut down for a couple months. Where should we put ships full of people if the cruises continue and a passenger or crew tests positive? Enough with this lunacy!!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

I've been doing the same thing. Hopefully we know more soon!

A few more miles eastward and people on the upper decks should be able to get reception on cell phones from cell towers at higher elevations in Daly City or Pacifica.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, Wheelhouse said:

No specific ship mentioned here but there are three COVID-19 cases in Maryland of people returning from a cruise ending on Feb 20.

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-beat/three-montgomery-county-residents-have-states-first-cases-of-coronavirus/

Sorry your news isn’t very good in Ohio.  The Maryland cases came from an Egyptian cruise.   This was on the news yesterday AM in Maryland.   Glad you have canceled your Oct. cruise, we were thinking of .

2 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

No cell service yet but land in sight.

Which deck are you on and are you on the landward side? From your response I am assuming you are onboard the Grand.

Edited by brisalta

7 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

The LA Times article linked by another poster above is really troubling.

"Tarling said two waiters who served the man multiple times were subsequently infected."

So that means at minimum the Grand had two dining stewards who became infected on the prior cruise, serving meals for several days on this cruise... presumably they also came in frequent close contact with people who work in the galley.   Everybody should be taken off that ship as soon as practicable and put in isolation.

Here, I was thinking that eating in the MDR rather than the buffet was a protection.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I'm surprised that one passenger was allowed to bring her sewing machine onboard!

It is not on the list of prohibited items.

I saw one once on a Royal Caribbean cruise I was on.

In addition to bringing two extra weeks of medicines on a cruise, also bring something to keep you occpied for an extra two weeks.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, npcl said:

not that many places to dock a large cruise ship. especially one that is not an active commercial port. Oakland, which has not been used for a while, and the naval port hueneme north of LA are the only two I can think of closest to the ship. I know port hueneme can handle cargo ships, but don't know if it can deal with the size of the grand.

Oakland is one of the busiest container ports on the West Coast and can handle ships with draughts up to 40 feet. The Grand Princess has a 26-foot draught. I see these giant ships sailing in and out of San Francisco Bay almost every day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I'm surprised that one passenger was allowed to bring her sewing machine onboard!

I was on a cruise on the Grand and there was a quilters conference. Enough sewing machines to setup a small clothing factory appeared in one of the large spaces.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Sorry your news isn’t very good in Ohio.  The Maryland cases came from an Egyptian cruise.   This was on the news yesterday AM in Maryland.   Glad you have canceled your Oct. cruise, we were thinking of .

Bet it was from Grandeur, because someone tested positive after being on ship last cruise!