Future Cruise Credit doesn't apply to deposit for RSSC

Travlover

2 hours ago, boblerm said:

Just got off the phone with my TA, as I could not wait one more minute to book another cruise.  Makes me feel marginally better for having to cancel.

The FCC is the original price minus tax and port charge.

Tax and port charges are refunded to you in the same method of payment that you paid with.

Regent calculates the tax and port charge, but I think it is a cut and dry number.

Assuming that the new cruise is more expensive, the deposit due is 15% of the difference.

Balance due on usual schedule of when balances are due.

So for , say, a 15,000 cancelled cruise, and 1000 tax and port charge, after you get the 1000 refund 14,000 is your FCC. If the new cruise is 20,000, you have an additional deposit of 15% of 6000, which by the process of higher mathematics is 900.

Sorry, I didn't ask what happens if the new cruise is less expensive than the FCC.

The irritating issue that you mention makes no sense to me, I can't understand why you wouldn't get the 25% of both segments.  Did you ask your TA?

Bob is correct. We just went through same situation. The cruise we booked and now is fully paid for had a balance of a couple hundred dollars, which can use as a future credit, under the terms of the policy. 
We are very satisfied with Regent resolution. 
No problems, no hassle...

Hope we will will be able to enjoy cruising again. 
sheila

9 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

The cruise we booked and now is fully paid for had a balance of a couple hundred dollars, which can use as a future credit, under the terms of the policy. 

Sheila, am I understanding correctly that you used your FCC for a new cruise, and had a couple hundred left over, which you can use for another cruise?  If that is the case, then that answers forgap's question number 2 above.

• Like 1

Important information in regard to trip insurance:

Good news- if you cancel a cruise and re-book another using FCCs, you may be able to transfer the dates of the  policy from the original cruise to the new one, just pay a difference in premium if the new cruise is more expensive.

Bad news- it is likely that  if you want to change your travel dates, your policy's dates must be changed prior to the first trip's original departure date. This means you to have the new trip booked prior to the original departure.

Example- I cancelled my March 14 Splendor departure and used my FCC to book another cruise in 2021.  I was able to transfer the dates of my policy to the new cruise, I only have to pay the difference in premium.  Had I waited until next week to book another cruise, I believe that I would have lost the money that I paid for my insurance policy.  

Something to consider when contemplating FCC use.

Bob

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

Good news- if you cancel a cruise and re-book another using FCCs, you may be able to transfer the dates of the  policy from the original cruise to the new one, just pay a difference in premium if the new cruise is more expensive.

Bad news- it is likely that  if you want to change your travel dates, your policy's dates must be changed prior to the first trip's original departure date. This means you to have the new trip booked prior to the original departure.

Example- I cancelled my March 14 Splendor departure and used my FCC to book another cruise in 2021.  I was able to transfer the dates of my policy to the new cruise, I only have to pay the difference in premium.  Had I waited until next week to book another cruise, I believe that I would have lost the money that I paid for my insurance policy.  

Bob

Thanks for the info.  Can I ask, which insurance company you used and how did you notify them of the date change?

6 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Thanks for the info.  Can I ask, which insurance company you used and how did you notify them of the date change?

You can!

I used Allianz for this policy, but my TA acquired it for me, so I just had her take care of it.  If you purchased on your own, you would need to call the company, speak to a customer service rep and explain the situation.  I am not certain whether or not every company has this policy, but I think that most do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boblerm said:

Bob

You are allowed a ONE TIME transfer.  Most insurance companies have this rule (Allienz, Travelex, Travelguard).  You cannot have made any claims again the policy to do this.  So you have to make a decision if there are some change fees that may be covered whether it is worth to file a claim. The interesting point is that if your second cruise is less, you will get the difference back to your credit card.

Did this for our Oceania cruise just cancelled to a river cruise in December using Travelex

Last year did same cancelling a Crystal cruise for a Regent cruise also through Travelex.

Again they will allow a one time date change.

The only issue about FCC they are a discount from your cruise price and the invoice generally reflects this and therefore not insurable.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

The only issue about FCC they are a discount from your cruise price and the invoice generally reflects this and therefore not insurable.

This may qualify as a "duh" question, (wouldn't be my first), but it seems to me that  if you use your FCC toward a new cruise, but are not able to change the dates on an existing policy, then there is no mechanism of insuring the new trip.  Do I have this right?

7 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

This could be a problem.  But I guess it is what it is.  We're sailing in June, 39 nights.  If we can't go, we can't go.  If we postpone it until 2021 or 2022 and the insurance company won't cover the FCC portion, I guess that is what it is.  Thanks for the info.  I'll certainly ask them if we end up postponing.  Still hoping things will settle down before June. 

13 hours ago, boblerm said:

Bob

The information from the insurance company was that to transfer to another trip you had to book the new trip before your sail date.

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

This could be a problem.  But I guess it is what it is.  We're sailing in June, 39 nights.  If we can't go, we can't go.  If we postpone it until 2021 or 2022 and the insurance company won't cover the FCC portion, I guess that is what it is.  Thanks for the info.  I'll certainly ask them if we end up postponing.  Still hoping things will settle down before June. 

They did cover the whole trip, but we had to book a trip before the sail date of the old trip.

• Like 1

Well. as so often happens, things are not as simple as they appear.  I was so pleased to share the information that I received in regard to trip insurance, but apparently, I was led down the garden path.  Here is a message that my TA sent last night:

OK Bob I was having an issue with modifying your insurance policy I finally reached out to our sales person and here was the issue policy is only good for so long

We have received your request to modify the travel dates to 05/19/2021-06/01/2021 on policy number shown above. Unfortunately, we are unable to simply modify the policy to these travel dates because the new dates are outside of our allowed timeframe to cover a trip (770 days from the purchase: 04/24/2018).

Let me know if you want me to open a new policy with just the deposit amount and then add to the policy at final payment.

So no only am I out the cost of my policy, the great bulk of my new cruise fare is uninsurable as it is with transferred FCC.  Traveling with that amount of $$ at risk in generally not the way I roll.  But I am not sure what options I have at this point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Well. as so often happens, things are not as simple as they appear.  I was so pleased to share the information that I received in regard to trip insurance, but apparently, I was led down the garden path.  Here is a message that my TA sent last night:

OK Bob I was having an issue with modifying your insurance policy I finally reached out to our sales person and here was the issue policy is only good for so long

We have received your request to modify the travel dates to 05/19/2021-06/01/2021 on policy number shown above. Unfortunately, we are unable to simply modify the policy to these travel dates because the new dates are outside of our allowed timeframe to cover a trip (770 days from the purchase: 04/24/2018).

Let me know if you want me to open a new policy with just the deposit amount and then add to the policy at final payment.

So no only am I out the cost of my policy, the great bulk of my new cruise fare is uninsurable as it is with transferred FCC.  Traveling with that amount of $$ at risk in generally not the way I roll.  But I am not sure what options I have at this point.

Wow, that's tough.  We won't have the time problem if our insurance company allows it.  We bought in Dec. 2019 so we'll likely change cruises rather than take an FCC, as ronrick did.  My. plan is to wait until the second half of 2022 is released and try to find the same cruise in 2022.  There is one in May 2021 so may book that one.  Eitherway, we plan to change dates rather than have a standing FCC.  If that doesn't work out, well just another part of my "coronavirus financial losses."  😎

3 hours ago, etual324 said:

taking the FCC for a cruise at a later date after this virus outbreak is over and you cancel said cruise how are you refunded 

money or more CC

Under normal circumstances, it was my understanding that the FCC amount would be lost, as it can only be used once.  Someone please tell me this is not the case.

2 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

My TA told me that the FCC could be spread over more than one cruise if I wanted to...in fact we are taking the 100% refund from Regent.  (We were about to board the Splendor when the axe fell!)

Consider yourself lucky!

59 minutes ago, Travlover said:

Consider yourself lucky!

Why "lucky" ?  We can't take the cruise of our dreams - one we had saved for for over 3 years.  We have had to pay about $15'000 to get home out of our own pocket (in addition to the $8000 we paid to get to SFO and back from MIA - part of that I think will be refunded).   A 100% refund is merited in this case I think.

4 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Why "lucky" ?  We can't take the cruise of our dreams - one we had saved for for over 3 years.  We have had to pay about $15'000 to get home out of our own pocket (in addition to the $8000 we paid to get to SFO and back from MIA - part of that I think will be refunded).   A 100% refund is merited in this case I think.

Because in other cases, they get fcc and not flight refund either. The FCC is stuck as credit and not sure when that next dream cruise will happen. Besides, for our case it cant be spread, and only offered one time only, not to mention we have to pay extra deposit if cruise fare is lower than original FCC. 

I do not think you understand our situation.   We (and many others) were about to board Splendor in San Diego.  Regent realised that most passengers were either in transit OR in San Diego which was our case.   For that reason we were offered a choice between 125% FCC OR a 100% refund.

One of our group was in fact in the airline lounge at the Honolulu airport after having flown there from Sydney.   Similarly there were many passengers on board Explorer.  The ship turned around after a day at sea and they disembarked in Miami.   Regent has been generous in situations like ours and theirs.  And presumably also with the Mariner passengers on the World Cruise.

I was grateful to Regent for the choice.  They will also reimburse us for "reasonable" additional travel costs.  I think this is appropriate as well.

On 3/3/2020 at 4:50 AM, Petoonya said:

Thanks w1234

On 3/3/2020 at 4:39 AM, w1234 said:

The certification information is posted on the French Polynesia health department site and is evolving. As of yesterday it appears everyone flying into French Polynesia needs to provide a health certificate dated less than 5 days prior.   Here’s the website links and text. 

https://www.presidence.pf/evolution-des-mesures-prises-par-le-gouvernement-pour-eviter-lintroduction-du-covid-19-coronavirus-en-polynesie-francaise/

https://www.service-public.pf/dsp/covid-19/

As of March 2, 2020, every person (including flight personnel) must present on board a flight to French Polynesia, a medical certificate certifying the state of health free of any sign of infection at coronaviruses.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:03 AM, jeb_bud said:

I wonder if credit card based insurance would transfer if the FCC covered the entire cost of the new cruise?

If you have card based insurance (like Chase Sapphire Reserve) you get $20,000 per trip coverage for any and all trips booked.  Why would anyone pay for trip cancellation/interruption insurance?  You don't need to change dates or anything else.

If you need more than $20,000 coverage get two cards (one for you and one for your trip mate (spouse)) and split the charge between the two cards.  If you need more than $40,000 insurance get the Chase Ink Preferred card and split to that as well.  I've collected 3 times.  Once for a $45,000 Antarctic cruise.

25 minutes ago, SedonaJoel said:

If you have card based insurance (like Chase Sapphire Reserve) you get $20,000 per trip coverage for any and all trips booked.  Why would anyone pay for trip cancellation/interruption insurance?  You don't need to change dates or anything else.

If you need more than $20,000 coverage get two cards (one for you and one for your trip mate (spouse)) and split the charge between the two cards.  If you need more than $40,000 insurance get the Chase Ink Preferred card and split to that as well.  I've collected 3 times.  Once for a $45,000 Antarctic cruise.

We buy trip cancellation/interruption insurance because it comes with medical evac insurance- a cc doesn't. It also gets me home in first class with the nurse that's required to be in attendance for travel in life and death circumstances. You don't get that with a CC. Maybe your health insurance covers that, but mine sure doesn't. My husband and I are pretty healthy but strange things happen travelling.  I know someone who had to pay to be transported from the ship and it easily topped $50k. After being stabilized on an iffy hospital in the Caribbean he needed to get back to the US.

Besides it's MUCH more difficult to get a credit card to pay for any type of travel claims. Lastly travel insurance is nominal for the amount I spend on a cruise.

Edited by Petoonya

In addition, has anyone been able to get a hold of their travel insurance company. Everytime I try I get a recording that says 2 hour wait time. Guess Monday I'll have to put up and wait. I've got two tickets that Qantas (booked through them) says are non refundable. $1541 total.