Royal follows Cancels cruises for 30 days

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

<Greetings, I'm visiting from the Holland America forum, lots of sad faces there too, as the GWV was just cancelled>

I'm near Seattle about 15 miles from the hot zone, and they even cancelled church....and since I work from home, only time I leave is to go to the grocery store 😞  That's why I really needed my cruise, booked it ten months ago...we could have gone sooner, but this was a rare itinerary to not have to leave our home city.  That's what I get for waiting, maybe in the future we won't book so far out. 

Welcome Holland America Forum refugee... 🙂  Thanks for the Seattle update.  What is the actual zone in Seattle?

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Welcome Holland America Forum refugee... 🙂  Thanks for the Seattle update.  What is the actual zone in Seattle?

Most cases are on the east side of the city, the suburbs of Kirkland/Redmond, initially at least.  For those that don't know the area, it's not anywhere near downtown or the cruise terminals.  I say that for geographic purposes, not to downplay the threat.

I hope to some day try RC, ships look amazing, but we sail west coast mostly and we don't see all that many of your ships out here, one maybe home ports in Seattle during the summer.  

We live in Bellevue, which has turned into a ghost town during the week. I work for a large company but have my own team and a satellite office in downtown Bellevue. Took a proactive approach, and my team and I have been working from home for the past two weeks.

Leave once a week to go to the store, and to go hiking a few times a week at a nature preserve about 10 mins away, but that's it. If everyone would stay home and stop being selfish and exercise a bit of common sense, I think this would be over a lot quicker. 

I expect the 30 day pause on cruising to be extended... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

I remember that, seems like eons ago.

I'd be willing to do it again, it could be an enticing windfall for Mexico.  But...our sailing is getting so close I'm not sure the arrangements can be made, I don't know how we'd get down there with no flights.

Oh! I agree, short notice and logistics nightmare to get people to Vancouver. Our bus driver was a major Frank Sinatra fan (or thought that we were) . We had 3 hours of loud, Frank's greatest hits. :classic_rolleyes: My point was that Mexico has not closed it's cruise ports, although that is of course a possibility. :classic_smile:

And I grew up in Seattle. First out in Shoreline, and then near Green Lake. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, av8tr21 said:

We live in Bellevue, which has turned into a ghost town during the week. I work for a large company but have my own team and a satellite office in downtown Bellevue. Took a proactive approach, and my team and I have been working from home for the past two weeks.

Leave once a week to go to the store, and to go hiking a few times a week at a nature preserve about 10 mins away, but that's it. If everyone would stay home and stop being selfish and exercise a bit of common sense, I think this would be over a lot quicker. 

I expect the 30 day pause on cruising to be extended... 

I know, so do I, we're not cancelled yet, HAL only went through 4/14, but we're sure it's coming, we have CFAR insurance and can afford to wait it out and see what they offer, although we're ok with the FCC.

31 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

Why only 30 days, I’m waiting for them to cancel my May cruise out of Barcelona. 

You can actually cancel your May cruise using the "Cruise with Confidence" policy.

We were able to cancel our May and June sailings on the Allure out of Barcelona.

All our sailings were paid in full.  We were given full refunds and FCC's for (penalty amount) all our sailings.

Note: The offer today is for 125% FCC to be used on future sailings, or full refund...for sailings up to April 10, 2020.

36 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Oh! I agree, short notice and logistics nightmare to get people to Vancouver. Our bus driver was a major Frank Sinatra fan (or thought that we were) . We had 3 hours of loud, Frank's greatest hits. :classic_rolleyes: My point was that Mexico has not closed it's cruise ports, although that is of course a possibility. :classic_smile:

And I grew up in Seattle. First out in Shoreline, and then near Green Lake. 

We got a good laugh from your post, Dear Dad hates crooning even though that's his era, we agreed 3 hours of Frank would be torture, and glad God invented Bose.

3 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

You can actually cancel your May cruise using the "Cruise with Confidence" policy.

We were able to cancel our May and June sailings on the Allure out of Barcelona.

All our sailings were paid in full.  We were given full refunds and FCC's for (penalty amount) all our sailings.

Note: The offer today is for 125% FCC to be used on future sailings, or full refund...for sailings up to April 10, 2020.

So I can get a full refund if I call and Cancel? 

I know the press release and social media posts have been put up here, but I'll post what's on the Royal website as of now. It has a little more information and definitively answers some questions that I've seen people ask since the announcement. 

---

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ANNOUNCES VOLUNTARY SUSPENSION OF CRUISING

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew are always our top priorities. As a result, we are voluntarily suspending operations for sailings that depart from US ports (including Puerto Rico) effective at midnight, March 14th. Our goal is to resume operations on April 11th, 2020.

If you were scheduled to sail during this time, regrettably, we will need to cancel your upcoming sailing.

As a result of this change, we’re providing you with a 125% Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with us by December 31, 2021

• This amount will be based on your total cruise fare paid. And, we’re giving you a little extra, knowing that this is such a unique circumstance.

• We will automatically issue you your Future Cruise Credit by Monday, April 13th, 2020 via email. So, there’s nothing for you to do!

• Please know, if you pre-purchased any amenities and packages – like internet, beverage, dining, or RoyalUp Upgrade, those will be automatically refunded.

Or, you can request your refund anytime it’s convenient, you have until December 31, 2021.

• Please contact us to start the refund process, if you’re willing to give up the higher value of your 125% Future Cruise Credit.

• We’ll then deactivate your Future Cruise Credit and process your refund to your original form(s) of payment, which will include any non-refundable deposits.

• Our call centers are extremely busy, as you might expect. To avoid waiting on the phone, please click here and we will get the process started for you.

• You can expect to receive your refund 30 days after you submit your request.

And, if you purchased air or hotel…

• via Royal Caribbean, these will also be automatically refunded to you.

• on your own, please contact the service provider directly for your options with them.

We know, this too shall pass, and we are optimistic that very soon you’ll be excited about planning your next cruise vacation. As always, the most important thing to us will always be the safety of our guests and crew. In the meantime, we’ll continue to monitor the global situation. We wish you good health and truly appreciate your continued loyalty.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or click here to contact us.

• Thanks 1

I hope RCI do change their mind and cancel all sailing for the next 30--60 days. At the present time it make the company appear as if they only care about their staff and passengers that cruise from  the US.  

12 hours ago, disneykins said:

What a crock. Just got off NCL Sun this morning and headed to Lauderdale for Adventure of the Seas. RCI cancelled it. I think the safest place on the planet right now is a cruise ship with all the cleaning they are doing. Just got some beer from a Publix, crowds of people passing paper money, sharing carts, dirty rest rooms, picking up food and putting it back. 1 basketball player gets it, cancel the season, one soccer player, cancel the season, one actor, lets cancel movies, Disneyworld and Universal close, but not until Monday? Today and tomorrow are safe though. And all their hotels with thousands of guests are ok to keep open. Fake news?

Imagine, if you will, the trajectory of this illness COVID19.  Picture a line graph.  That line is going up, up, up.  No one is saying Disney or any other place is safe one day and unsafe the next.  What they are trying to do is change the trajectory of the spread of COVID19.  We want to see it decline, or at least plateau.  That's why everything is closing.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

So wonder what happens if and when a crew member contracts conronavirus. Does a new 14 day quarantine take place? You would need ships without passengers for a minimum of 14 days before you know all crew is clear. I wonder if they are getting crews tested?

One of the problems is, the tests are not readily available.  I work in healthcare and we were told more tests should be available in 7-10 days.  Hospitals don't even have them.  That's why they quarantine everyone with 3 or more symptoms of the illness.

6 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I hope RCI do change their mind and cancel all sailing for the next 30--60 days. At the present time it make the company appear as if they only care about their staff and passengers that cruise from  the US.  

This is the CLIA agreement with the Administration - voluntarily doing this.  They could have kept on sailing and not cancel anything.  The government knows that the travel industry and those that help from airlines, hotels to food suppliers are being hit hard.

Edited by Plum Happy

the hysteria and misinformation is crazy here. This is not going away in 3,4,5,6 months. The answer is not closing schools etc. Are you prepared to keep closing everything for another 5 months? How many people will lose their jobs and be on the street? How many businesses will go bankrupt? Think of the domino effect. You may lose your house in this domino effect. The real answer is we will need to change the way we interact. We will need to keep distance. Common sense practices. You cant close everything and think this is the answer. Do you ever want to cruise again? Close cruiselines for 3 months see how many are left at the end of that. School closings are the most rediculous of all of this. Kids dont get it and no they are not carriers of it. Data shows that. The inaccurate misinformation posted on here adds to the hysteria. Find the facts. Use common sense. Seek the truth. Touching your face doesnt infect yourself. Data proves that. The entryway is respiratory. Most people can easily fight off this virus. Compromised immune systems may not. (Just like every virus) . Avoid huge crowds. Go ahead and flame me but if 1/2 the things people on this forum think should happen you will end up without a job and a place to live. Nevermind a cruiseline to cruise with. For the record im a career fireman/paramedic dealing with flulike symtoms of strangers 48 hours a week. Not a bit scared of getting this virus. If I do,ill recover. Peace

• Like 1

Just now, rtazz17 said:

the hysteria and misinformation is crazy here. This is not going away in 3,4,5,6 months. The answer is not closing schools etc. Are you prepared to keep closing everything for another 5 months? How many people will lose their jobs and be on the street? How many businesses will go bankrupt? Think of the domino effect. You may lose your house in this domino effect. The real answer is we will need to change the way we interact. We will need to keep distance. Common sense practices. You cant close everything and think this is the answer. Do you ever want to cruise again? Close cruiselines for 3 months see how many are left at the end of that. School closings are the most rediculous of all of this. Kids dont get it and no they are not carriers of it. Data shows that. The inaccurate misinformation posted on here adds to the hysteria. Find the facts. Use common sense. Seek the truth. Touching your face doesnt infect yourself. Data proves that. The entryway is respiratory. Most people can easily fight off this virus. Compromised immune systems may not. (Just like every virus) . Avoid huge crowds. Go ahead and flame me but if 1/2 the things people on this forum think should happen you will end up without a job and a place to live. Nevermind a cruiseline to cruise with. For the record im a career fireman/paramedic dealing with flulike symtoms of strangers 48 hours a week. Not a bit scared of getting this virus. If I do,ill recover. Peace

Can you let us know where this "data" is that you refer to?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

I find it very difficult to believe you are a career paramedic, when you produce a post with so many scientific inaccuracies. For the record the “data” you cite that children don’t get it or aren’t carriers is bunk, there is a newborn in a hospital in London tested positive this morning. 

Universal precautions for a droplet based virus (it’s not “respiratory” as you have stated) includes not touching your face (someone in healthcare would know that-not cite unknown “data”)

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

With all due respect, you are not an infectious disease expert or epidemiologist.  Neither am I, but I can read their recommendations.

According to these experts, the idea is to slow the spread of the virus so that the curve of infections is flatter.  This way a large peak will not exceed the capacity of the health care system.  So the measures are temporary even though the virus will be here for a long time.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I am a physician who has also cared for many patients with viral infections, but I know enough to know that I will leave this response to the experts.  

viral curve.JPG

Edited by DrD
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, blackjack24 said:

One of my friends on board messaged and said all crew and entertainers are staying on the ship for 30 days. He said a lot of the regular crew are happy because it will be like a paid vacation. 

Not on all ships. 

I have friends onboard too. And some of them already have their flight schedules homes and some on other ships have been extended to stay. 

18 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

This is so tragically wrong it is terrifying.  Touching your face is absolutely a pathway to infection if you have recently touched a fomite transfer point or came into contact with the virus. KIDS ABSOLUTELY CAN BE CARRIERS.  Any human being with lungs can be a carrier.  Its great that you are comfortable knowing that you will recover, but how many elderly or immunocompromised people will you come into contact with as you are recovering and looking at your "data".  Please people, get your cruise information from cruise critic and your coronavirus information elsewhere.

• Like 12