Do You Feel The Calm?

Georgia_Peaches

For weeks the anxiety and hostility of the tone in Celebrity threads on CC has grown palatable as cruisers stress over cancelled vacation plans, quarantines, fear of illness or unwittingly making others ill, and just like that, it seems like a calm has washed over the scene.  Isn't it interesting how we can get so wrapped up in our own views that we lose site of the bigger picture?  The one thing we all have in common is that we love to travel, see the world, and cruise.  I am grateful and relieved that the cruise lines have finally suspended operation for a while giving all of us an opportunity to reset and regroup.  When the time comes, our ship will sail again and I hope to be on board.  

What are your take-aways from this situation?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 14

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

For weeks the anxiety and hostility of the tone in threads on CC has grown palatable as cruisers stress over cancelled vacation plans, quarantines, fear of illness or unwittingly making others ill, and just like that, it seems like a calm has washed over the scene.  Isn't it interesting how we can get so wrapped up in our own views that we lose site of the bigger picture?  The one thing we all have in common is that we love to travel, see the world, and cruise.  I am grateful and relieved that the cruise lines have finally suspended operation for a while giving all of us an opportunity to reset and regroup.  When the time comes, our ship will sail again and I hope to be on board.  

Thank you and well-said.

Let's hope the "calm" and "opportunity to reset and regroup" washes over the "bigger picture" soon!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

For weeks the anxiety and hostility of the tone in Celebrity threads on CC has grown palatable as cruisers stress over cancelled vacation plans, quarantines, fear of illness or unwittingly making others ill, and just like that, it seems like a calm has washed over the scene.  Isn't it interesting how we can get so wrapped up in our own views that we lose site of the bigger picture?  The one thing we all have in common is that we love to travel, see the world, and cruise.  I am grateful and relieved that the cruise lines have finally suspended operation for a while giving all of us an opportunity to reset and regroup.  When the time comes, our ship will sail again and I hope to be on board.  

What are your take-aways from this situation?

We are waiting for Celebrity to cancel the Solstice sailings in Australia/New Zealand and ending in Vancouver......we are booked on 5 back to backs, supposed to start on March 20, ending in Vancouver on May 21.  New Zealand and Canada have closed their borders to cruise ships.  I will not be feeling the calm of which you speak until we get cancellation notices at least for some of these 5 cruises as we cannot absorb that much FCC - so hopefully, soon, I will be feeling that sense of calm!

• Like 3

I think there is quite a bit of rational thought here on Cruise Critic sprinkled with the occasional self-righteous angry poster.  I personally would like to feel calm but my home community in eastern PA is in true panic mode right now. The local media is feeding the frenzy.  I am coming here to CC trying to keep the big picture in mind and dream about the days ahead of future more peaceful times.

• Like 7

@TeeRick I agree.  The little bit of calm that seems to have washed over the Celebrity board hasn't necessarily translated to our off line community here in Atlanta either.  All schools/universities, government offices, and a host of other business are closed for the next two weeks at least.  Grocery stores are out of basics and the fear of being in the presence of people has escalated.  Stay well!

To me it's more of a reset.  While those in the cancellation window now know their fate (Although some didn't find out until they got to their embarkation port), those of us outside the window still have to wait it out.  My transatlantic on the Edge on April 19th is outside the window so I guess I'd better take a deep breath and try not to be concerned for the next 30 days.  Then I'll get nervous again.  Maybe by then all will be resolved?  We'll see.  CTBob

• Like 2

It's actually a relief for us. Edge was my wife's milestone birthday present but we were getting pressure from family and work to cancel. Our sailing was 3/22 so we had a contingency in case we decided to cancel. We booked it just before they cancelled so it's all good.

• Like 1

Congratulations to those who have been notified of their cruises being cancelled. 😊

Unfortunately many of us have not achieved that sense of calm because our cruises which immediately follow the 30 day suspension date have not been cancelled. Yet. We still have the option to cancel, but for now I feel like we’re in Limbo.

• Like 5

Just now, C-Dragons said:

Congratulations to those who have been notified of their cruises being cancelled. 😊

Unfortunately many of us have not achieved that sense of calm because our cruises which immediately follow the 30 day suspension date have not been cancelled. Yet. We still have the option to cancel, but for now I feel like we’re in Limbo. It's going to be a long 30 days...

• Like 2

Just now, C-Dragons said:

Unfortunately many of us have not achieved that sense of calm because our cruises which immediately follow the 30 day suspension date have not been cancelled. Yet. We still have the option to cancel, but for now I feel like we’re in Limbo.

I can totally relate.  Our cruise is scheduled for April 11th.  Someone in our roll call said they called Celebrity and was told that our sailing is on.  I'm taking a wait and see approach but I just can't worry about it anymore. 

• Like 1

Not feeling very calm here. Our once in a lifetime multigenerational family trip is cancelled and it’s left such a sour taste for one side of the family that they don’t even want to try again. They are losing $1300 in airfare because they already flew to the port and have to get home somehow.

so our plans are ruined and can’t be fixed, and 125% doesn’t even come close to making us whole.

darn right I’m not calm. At least celebrity could have made us a fair offer. A cruise one or two days away is not the same as three or four weeks away.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SusieV said:

Not feeling very calm here. Our once in a lifetime multigenerational family trip is cancelled and it’s left such a sour taste for one side of the family that they don’t even want to try again. They are losing $1300 in airfare because they already flew to the port and have to get home somehow.

so our plans are ruined and can’t be fixed, and 125% doesn’t even come close to making us whole.

darn right I’m not calm. At least celebrity could have made us a fair offer. A cruise one or two days away is not the same as three or four weeks away.

Travel much? Things happen.  The note I received about my cancelled cruise mentioned help with hotels, etc if you had already headed to the port. Take a deep breath and get in touch with Celebrity.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Travel much? Things happen.  The note I received about my cancelled cruise mentioned help with hotels, etc if you had already headed to the port. Take a deep breath and get in touch with Celebrity.  

Things happen, but generally when it’s this close to sailing they offer a full refund and a full fcc, so we were expecting a 200% fcc and then compensation for flight issues.

125% and nothing is a pretty rude offer given what they normally do.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I can totally relate.  Our cruise is scheduled for April 11th.  Someone in our roll call said they called Celebrity and was told that our sailing is on.  I'm taking a wait and see approach but I just can't worry about it anymore. 

Oh, I'm not worrying. At the moment I have control of my situation. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I can't worry either - you can't book any cruises until April 21st in the Caribbean.  We are on the Edge on the 12th.  Just going to wait it out and see what the cruise line does. 

Edited by flvol77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SusieV said:

Things happen, but generally when it’s this close to sailing they offer a full refund and a full fcc, so we were expecting a 200% fcc and then compensation for flight issues.

We're on one of the Apex cruises in northern Europe which for some reason have still not been cancelled. However, they've said we can't go because hubby has a chronic illness (MS). All they are offering us is 100% FCC. We are holding out for the cruise to be canceled, and if it is not and they still won't let us go, we will insist on a cash refund instead. That's the least they should do when they are denying us the chance to cruise. 

So, I am not yet calm about the trip. But, we are also in Atlanta. Our community is all shut down, and we are in our home for the duration. We have adequate food for the humans and dogs, supplies, and medicine, so we are relaxed about that. Plus I just found a small bottle of hand sanitizer squirreled away in a purse, and I felt like I won the lottery 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Is it calm or is it acceptance...as in it's out of our hands.  If there hadn't been such great public concern, those that have the authority to DO SOMETHING may not have until this point...IMHO.  There was a lot of denial in the past few weeks and there are probably many who have had, or have, the virus and didn't know it, passed it on, and are now recovered.  Good for them but not for those who died or those who could have avoided the virus if testing was done correctly and timely.  The head in the sand and lets avoid controversy approach isn't what creates calm.  Identifying the virus out there and having a workable process to deal with it, will.  Cancelling cruising is at least dealing with the possibly of the virus spreading and avoids having to isolate cruisers at sea for a time, then isolation afterward as well;  temperature testing arrivals from whatever country would be  a  start and perhaps helpful, but I doubt the US has the system in place to do what much smaller countries have...some were on top of this almost as soon as they knew the virus was in their country (after the China experience and therefore knew how fast this can spread) and put a system in place.  Italy is another case, as in low economy and poor health protocols and now it's out of hand.  NY governor at least put a system in place quickly (although only in a hot spot) without waiting for the federal gov't to give them the go ahead.  Should other states start working in their constituents best interests and do the same?  Calm is important....ignoring the situation won't help and over-worrying just leads to what some call panic.  BTW...the groceries will re-appear on the shelves in normal due course...no need to bleed the shelves dry like some in underprivileged countries would experience.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, SusieV said:

What they normally do? Really? I could have sworn that the world is in the midst of dealing with a pandemic. How many times has this occurred in the travel industry? Once in a blue moon a cruise will be canceled and passengers are compensated accordingly. Shutting down all cruises for 30 days is a little unprecedented, Imo.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I think our nation as a group panicked.  Went to the local grocery store yesterday, you would think the world was ending,  hopefully, soon, folks come to their senses. 

The grocery store bedlam IS related to corona but not the direct cause.  The schools are unexpectedly out for two weeks or more.  Parents needing food for kids home for all three meals hit the grocery stores en masse.  So, that’s school related panic, not corona related.  I live north of Atlanta. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SusieV said:

What they normally do?  A situation like this happened before?  I don't think there is any "normal".

This isn't X's fault - they have done the best they can, gone over and above what they are legally required to do.  Why should they pay for flights not booked through them?  Let alone pay compensation for your choice not to do so.

Not sure about calm...but perhaps we could breifly consider the bigger picture?  Crew unable to retun home.  Crew who will loose jobs on which thier families depend.  Dockworkers, local tourist industries. Small buinesses.

Yes some have lost money becuase there wasn't suitable travel insurance etc.  Yes "holidays of a lifetime" have been lost.  But I would venture to guess that no-one complaining about this is reliant on a food bank.  Wondering about how to feed thier family without income. Facing the loss of a buisness, or a home.  

Much as I like my "first world" problems - we are all far better off than many in this difficult and changing situation.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Someone posted a tweet from Trump thanking the cruise lines for honoring his request to stop cruising for 30 days [out of the US]. If it was requested by the government, I expect (and hope) that the cruise lines and their crew are getting some federal money to help cover the immense losses.

• Like 5