for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Well after a three week slog I finally am over the latest work hurdles.  I celebrated with DS tonight, we had a pizza from our favorite (and very good) local Neapolitan pizzeria -- it's run by two brothers from Naples, who imported their brick oven from back home...  They have a delightful special on Thursday nights with half price bottles of wine, I splurged on a nice bottle of Verdicchio. 

I also made an appointment to have someone come and give me a quote for redoing my front portico and steps, something I've wanted to do for a while but ... COVID.  My house is small and has a very "cottage" look with a sloping roof that creates a sort of portico/small porch at the front door.  While I like it as it is, it has not been substantially changed since it was built in 1932!  I'd love it if we could figure out a way to make the ceiling sturdy enough to hang a small porch swing....  Right now I have a glider.

We are expecting severe thunderstorms all evening and we have a tornado watch until 2am. It's not that uncommon for us at this time of the year -- beginning of the spring storm season. A colleague of mine had a neighbor's tree come down last night in her backyard pond!

Hope everyone is staying well, active and relatively sane. I have to say knowing that I'll be vaccinated soon has certainly lightened my mood substantially. 😀

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, the Mattress was just delivered and I forgot how fun this will be with a new 

adjustable base!😃.   Hopefully I will sleep well tonight👍.   It is a Sealy called Briar Rose.

Hi Lois -- are you happy with the adjustable base you got? If so, do you know the brand?

Good morning Cynthia😃 Yes, happy with the new bed! ..You must have missed it in the post

you quoted----Sealy is the brand. The name of it is "Briar Rose"🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Cynthia😃 Yes, happy with the new bed! ..You must have missed it in the post

you quoted----Sealy is the brand. The name of it is "Briar Rose"🙂

Thanks Lois -- sorry if I was not clear. I assumed that the Sealy Briar Rose was the mattress name, but I wondered if the adjustable frame is a different brand?  I see a lot of different options for those when I look online. Is yours also made by Sealy or a different manufacturer?

Happy weekend everyone :)   had a fantastic sleepover with the grandson...  today we are finishing up some landscaping in the back yard....   I don't know it anyone remembers our planter full of zucchini & pumpkins for last year (the one where the squirrels moved in & are their own personal condo/restaurant ;) )   well, we are putting in some "real" plants.... going to try & post before & after photos later :)

-Debbie

• Like 3

For some reason, this didn't get posted the other day...

Anita - the AR pistol and rifle do look similar from the trigger point to the end of the barrel.  But, the one shown didn't have a butt stock, but looked more like a velcro brace that was put on the forearm.  In any case...  

The shirt is made like that.   It is super soft flannel and the patch is not a bad stiffness - I do not notice it all.  They also have some embroidered flannel shirts. Comes from a company called Angry Minnow Vintage.  They have some really great shirts done up.  I have 2 more I really want to get, but 1 is out of stock - the red plaid Smokey Bear and then a blue plaid with 2 old ladies playing pool "sometimes you have to break a few balls."  There are more, but I can't spend that much money on plaid shirts!!!  I might get one of the baseball hats, though - one can never have too many baseball hats 😉  They do have Tshirts, but only with vintage beer, gas, or food logos.  No snarky patches.  

I'm going to buy the air mattress when I go to pick up the tent next week.  I want to "test drive" the one I think I want with another one to see which I really do like.   Looks like we are trying to get our girls' trip together June 1-9, so I can front-end and back-end that by camping on my way to/from Denver.  I do have to find out if I need to bring some "city" clothes, though!!!  I could at least pack a pair of jeans and my nice Sundance hat to spiff up.   There's another company that has a website and a brick-and-mortar store here in SLC called Gigi Pip that has some really nice hats.  I keep looking at the Monroe and the Dakota.  My Sundance hat looks a lot like the Emma - I wonder if they made them for Sundance...  

OOTD: at work, so my gray/olive Woolx leggings and my Natural Life long acid-dye Sweatshirt.  It's snowing again, so I really didn't care much what I put on...  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

OK.  Boss is not here today and we have ZERO checkins today, so we're thoroughly bored.    2 weeks left - our last day is April 11.  As of today, we only have 9 arrivals left for the season and 6 of those are owners or friends of owners.  It's going to be an interesting time!!!

Hey, ALERT!!!!!  If any of you were thinking of new luggage, Away is having a flash sale until March 30!!!!!  I was soooo tempted to get the carryon - $156.  But, I have so much stuff that I just can't justify it.  But I thought some of you might in interested.  

It's a bluebird day up here, with the temp getting up to the mid 40s.  I wore a sleeveless Tshirt so I can maybe steal a little time out on the patio here...

OOTD:  a nice mint green Cotopaxi sleeveless Tshirt, another Athleta wrap (one from years ago) and my black Woolx joggers.  To be sassy, I'm wearing my Chucks...

Cynthia - stay safe out there!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hey, ALERT!!!!!  If any of you were thinking of new luggage, Away is having a flash sale until March 30!!!!!  I was soooo tempted to get the carryon - $156.  But, I have so much stuff that I just can't justify it.  But I thought some of you might in interested. 

I need more luggage like I need a hole in my head but I am always looking nonetheless. Is Away good?  I have a Victorinox 24" bag that I love for combined cruise/land adventures. Big enough to fit everything I need, has two sturdy (treaded) wheels, not four, and is narrow enough to roll down train aisles. But it's getting a little beat up and I don't like the newer version as much. The wheels look less sturdy, for one thing...

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I need more luggage like I need a hole in my head but I am always looking nonetheless. Is Away good?  I have a Victorinox 24" bag that I love for combined cruise/land adventures. Big enough to fit everything I need, has two sturdy (treaded) wheels, not four, and is narrow enough to roll down train aisles. But it's getting a little beat up and I don't like the newer version as much. The wheels look less sturdy, for one thing...

When I was working at the last 2 hotels, I saw quite a bit of Away luggage.  It all looked in good condition when I saw it.   You'll have to look up reviews.  It always piqued my interest, but I couldn't see spending the money.  I'm still in love with my Osprey Sojourn 25" - it's still easy to fit overhead on the train at 25Hx14Wx14D.   And, 2 great all-terrain wheels.  and backpack straps if I need them (used twice in Africa).  It's rolled all over Trenitalia.  It was money well spent 10 years ago.   It's $320 now...

Hi girls, I have some fun news.......a couple of things actually.  I got a new light fixture (over 

the dining room table). I don't want to call it a Chandelier because I always think of them as

"fancy".  This one is very cool.  It is iron but lightweight and is open with the 3 bulbs coming down in the middle.

Got it at local lamp store and had an electrician come to install it already🙂

It is not "dark" like old fashioned iron but almost like a light gunmetal. Hard to explain but I 

love it.🙂 It actually reminds me of something in orbit LOL........it is definitely

modern.

And my other news, I am going to Chicago with a couple of friends at the end of June!😀 Just

for a long weekend but it will be fun to go away!  I have never been there but they have so they

know all the good places to go and visit and eat of course😃

• Like 4

I should have also said, it is sort of in the shape of a sphere.......I have been trying to find a 

picture of it to post but I bought the one on the floor (it was the last one in stock!). So when I 

checked the store's website I cannot seem to find it. Oh well........

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, I have some fun news.......a couple of things actually.  I got a new light fixture (over 

the dining room table). I don't want to call it a Chandelier because I always think of them as

"fancy".  This one is very cool.  It is iron but lightweight and is open with the 3 bulbs coming down in the middle.

Got it at local lamp store and had an electrician come to install it already🙂

It is not "dark" like old fashioned iron but almost like a light gunmetal. Hard to explain but I 

love it.🙂 It actually reminds me of something in orbit LOL........it is definitely

modern.

And my other news, I am going to Chicago with a couple of friends at the end of June!😀 Just

for a long weekend but it will be fun to go away!  I have never been there but they have so they

know all the good places to go and visit and eat of course😃

Love Chicago, would not want to live there but great place to visit!  Michigan Ave is so much fun to walk along, lots of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. I love the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry.  You should have an amazing time!  And June should be a good time to go, not too hot or humid!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Lois, congrats on the new light fixture (sounds really cool looking) & on your Chicago trip... oh my gosh, Sherri is right,  the best restaurants are there :)

Kat congrats on your upcoming ladies camping trip :)    I seem to remember that last year you had tickets for a concert in Los Angeles...  I've heard rumors that outdoor concerts may start back up in a month or two...   did they refund you or just a raincheck?  & thanks for the heads up on the away sale,  I have one carry on that I bought a couple of years ago that I am not happy with, would love a bag with all spinner wheels.

I am super sore & tired, spent the entire day gardening...  put in a camilla next to our patio, & some trees in the planter that runs between our yard & driveway... for the camellia, I had to basically dig out all the dirt in the small planter, & condition the soil with peat moss & pea gravel for drainage...hard work but it looks great ;)

I didn't really do a before, but if anyone remembers for last year I had zucchini planted & it was a disaster ;)

IMG_4240.thumb.JPG.54c579d57f9c955bef098b12f416fe95.JPG

IMG_4234.thumb.JPG.695160a9fce18ed8b73adf5eca8be3a0.JPG

not the best photos, but you get the idea, the little trees we planted will have an open, airy look & they have grayish green leaves,  when the wind blows (which is almost always here)  they make a gentle rustling noise, very peaceful :)

-Debbie

• Like 2

Hi girls, the the thing about a tornado is---besides that damage, it comes SO QUICK............

at least with a snow storm you probably have some advance notice.  

Happy holidays to all from me as well. 

I found a new carrot cake muffin recipe.....well, new for me LOL almond flour and no sugar....

just a bit of honey in it.  They are baking in the oven right now. Will let you know how they come

out🙂

• Like 2

I had my ticket for Andrea Bocelli refunded.  I didn't want to leave that much money on the table with things still up in the air for this summer.  

Boss isn't here today and my two co-workers just left, so it's just me for the next 2.5 hours...

Checked in some guests today from Miami Beach.  They said there were VERRRRRY happy to get of town, that it was one giant ****show.  

Tonight, no Stanley, but an excellent special with Dr. Gupta talking to 6 members of Trump's COVID team.  should be very interesting. 

OOTD: I was really lazy this morning, so I just pulled my hair into a rattail (not full enough yet for a ponytail) and put my Alligator Girl shirt back on with leggings.   

• Like 1

Hi Kat, I have seen clips of the special multiple times over the last couple of weeks.........

Interesting is a good word to use for it. 

And the guests from Miami Beach? I have good friends who live in South FL  and they are so glad they do not live in the Miami Beach area.😲 It has been

awful!!!!

• Like 1

Hi Cindy, good to hear from you again :)    I'm on the no blowdryer bandwagon too...  unless I know I will see clients for work, it's wash & go....  

Kat, good that you were able to get refunded, 

& to both Lois & Kat, Miami does to sound like a good place to be right now :(

Hi Girls, wow so much to comment on! 
Lois, your new dining room light sounds very nice. Too bad you can’t find a picture but it sounds like you aren’t the only person who liked it.

Chicago, how exciting! As others have said, so much to see and lots of great food choices. On our last visit, we did the architecture boat tour. Very interesting and we really enjoyed it. 
Mmmm- another carrot muffin recipe to try! Yummy.

Debbie, your yard looks lovely! So, no Zucchini this year? Awww, what will the little critters eat when they visit your yard? 

Kat, yay, vacation plans are coming together nicely! Thanks for the tip on the Away luggage. I’m going to look at their website. 

Cynthia, I hope you weren’t in the path of all the bad weather.

Christy, your hair looks great! Love the purple. Now if you can loose 15# by Thurs, please share your method😊. Seriously, you are going to have a wonderful, long awaited visit, no matter what. 

Cindy, nice to hear from you. Yep, I think you are not alone, I too may have to step it up a bit-well maybe more than just a bit!

Melody, yes, tornados and earthquakes-no time to prepare. 

OMG! On Friday, we actually went to some stores just to look and not because there were things we needed to buy! It’s been sooo long since I’ve done that. Of course, masks were a constant reminder that we still need to be careful. Later, we ordered take out  from a favorite local restaurant  and while we were waiting we wandered into a little shop that is next door. They have hand made items as well as vintage. As we were leaving I noticed a display if knit sanitizer holders that fasten to the outside of a purse, backpack etc. It included a refillable bottle although my 2,5 oz bottle from Target also fits. No need to remove the bottle to use the sanitizer. Yep, I bought one.  

Just watched the CNN special on the Pandemic. Very interesting to hear the interviews and  it all explained from the beginning. Speaking of the Pandemic, I’m glad to hear that so many states are opening up the vaccine to everyone over 18. 

Wishing all a good week ahead.

Sharon

• Like 2

We did not get any tornadoes near us, but there were some in the area that caused significant damage. Even though I'm used to it, it's still very hair-raising because you never really know until a few minutes ahead whether anything is going to materialize...

Speaking of hair -- @PurpleHays Love it!!  and @fyree39  I blow dry about once a week just to remind myself that I am actually a human and not a troll!

Debbie, your yard is going to look great -- you're going to shame me into getting out and doing more in my own yard. I had it landscaped about 10 years ago, but there are some minor things that I've been meaning to change...

Sharon -- I do miss the ability to just run out and do some "fun" shopping. Hopefully in about 6-7 weeks I will be able to do the same. My first dose of vaccine is next week.

I hope everyone has a nice week, happy holidays now and this weekend for those celebrating. I am hoping for 4th of July with family! 😊

• Like 3

Just a quick note while the boss is down at the post office:

If you go to the CNN website, they have posted some of the recipes from Stanley's shows!!!   

It's really windy up here today - a bunch of the stench/smog from down in Salt Lake City has been blow up the canyon.  It's yucky.  Probably a good chance that some of the lifts will go on wind holds today.  Not a fun day for skiing.  

More later!