Taxes and fees, more than cruise!!

Like the title says, some taxes and fees are more than the price of the cruise. I looked at some cruises out of Bayonne. And you can get a cruise for 399, but taxes and fees are 500. Smooth move rccl. You will give a 125% on 399 and just refund the 500. 

I have also noticed that the farther the cruise out, the higher the taxes and fees. I guess it is a price protection built in. Price will drop, but your bottom line won't change unless it is a big price drop. 

But in these crazy times royal has upped the taxes and fees part of the cruises to protect themselves. Smart on their part. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

But in these crazy times royal has upped the taxes and fees part of the cruises to protect themselves. Smart on their part. 

Taxes and fees get refunded to your credit card, not seeing how that’s doing them any good.

If you are now just starting to look at going to Bermuda out of NJ those taxes and fees have always been high and were not just raised.

I just checked over 30 sailings for clients yesterday all sailing after this October and not one of them was cheaper.  In fact most if the sailings have remained the exact same price over the past 20 days. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Taxes and fees get refunded to your credit card, not seeing how that’s doing them any good.

If you are now just starting to look at going to Bermuda out of NJ those taxes and fees have always been high and were not just raised.

Yes, taxes and fees out of the New York ports have always been high. Bermuda raised their per passenger port fee about  6 weeks ago for the coming cruise season. They were hoping to bring in another $4,000,000 in revenue for the island. Bermuda is going to be in big trouble. Hotels are closing and airlines have canceled most flights to Bermuda.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

I was not looking at bermuda, but same itineraries next year have half the cost of taxes and fees

Some of the taxes and fess are variable (a per passenger amount) and some are fixed.

Royal determines the amount charged based on how many guests are anticipated to sail.  Obviously they expect to be sailing less than full so the fixed fees are spread over fewer passengers leading to a higher overall cost per person

• Like 3

3 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Like the title says, some taxes and fees are more than the price of the cruise. I looked at some cruises out of Bayonne. And you can get a cruise for 399, but taxes and fees are 500. Smooth move rccl. You will give a 125% on 399 and just refund the 500. 

I have also noticed that the farther the cruise out, the higher the taxes and fees. I guess it is a price protection built in. Price will drop, but your bottom line won't change unless it is a big price drop. 

Taxes and fees do not belong to Royal and by law will be refunded at the going rate. Increasing taxes have been going on for years now, since cruising got more popular. Your beef is with the ports/cities. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Nothing new, seen many over the yrs. One I always remember is I did a 5nite Cruise after 9/11. Was Solo, no single supplement, so my total cruise cost was $59, breakdown was $9 for the Cruise plus the $50 tax

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sounds a lot like my cell phone bill.

There's a difference. All of the taxes, fees, and port charges on a cruise are paid out to the government entities and ports.

Your cell phone bill contains some government mandated charges as well as junk fees which are just made up official sounding items that are actually best described as additional profit.

Nothing new, seen many over the yrs. One I always remember is I did a 5nite Cruise after 9/11. Was Solo, no single supplement, so my total cruise cost was $59, breakdown was $9 for the Cruise plus the $50 tax
Wow, do you think that's going to come again

On 3/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, drsel said:

In Australia The Cruise fare has to include port fees taxes and even service charges and gratuities

I personally like it to be separate so I know what is what.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, drsel said:

In Australia The Cruise fare has to include port fees taxes and even service charges and gratuities

So if service charges are included and for some reason you miss your cruise, you lose that money too?

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So if service charges are included and for some reason you miss your cruise, you lose that money too? 

Yes, because the service charge is included in the cruise fare and is not charged separately

Edited by drsel

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Yes, because the service charge is included in the cruise fare and is not charged separately

I thought there was a report from an Aussie who had a no show as the other cabin mate and got their grats/service charge back.