Bailout for Cruise Companies

1 hour ago, rtazz17 said:

Amazing how everyone has a crystal ball... people know how long the cruiselines will be paused,people know the exact amount of money they will or wont get. Smh.... the guessing has to stop... people read and assume its gospel... you dont know anything,only what youve heard and purged back out.

Um, what?  I'm referring to what has been proposed.    You're quoting my post about what the US Senate (Mitch McConnell) has proposed about sending checks to citizens.  Look it up online.  It's out there.  sheesh.  Either way, my family will get zero, just like the last time checks were sent out.  

Edited by BND

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

You do realize that people do these things for land vacations as well?  Not everyone goes on a cruise vacation as a matter of fact we have alternated between cruising and land vacations over the years. When we choose a land vacation we spend more money supporting the local business than when we cruise.

Yes, I agree. We travel over 120 days a year. About 1/4 on cruises. The rest on land.

I have enjoyed the 'give & take' on this thread. 

Hope to meet y'all on a cruise some day. stay safe & healthy.

Bye, Bye, Arleen

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

U.S. is giving $1000 to any family making less than $75,000 a year.  

Nothing has been finalized and different income levels have been talked about.  I just know we'd get zero regardless of which plan happens.  It's also been discussed that less than 75K would get 1,000 and those making more would get less all the way up to where individuals get zero.  Also, it's not $1,000 to families, it's $1,000 to individual adults and a smaller amount for children.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

Nothing has been finalized and different income levels have been talked about.  I just know we'd get zero regardless of which plan happens.  It's also been discussed that less than 75K would get 1,000 and those making more would get less all the way up to where individuals get zero.  Also, it's not $1,000 to families, it's $1,000 to individual adults and a smaller amount for children.
$1000 for each adult is very generous.
will it affect the value of the US dollar

20 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

And in true CC fashion everyone shall give their opinion. 

FLACruiser I would suspect that there is a contract, as nothing is free.  I'm not sure if we can find it yet.

That is what CCL did Hurricane Katrina.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/16/us/nationalspecial/cruise-ships-spurned-by-evacuees-are-home-to-displaced.html

There is also a more recent situation where Carnival did this for St Croix.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/01/articles/taxes/fema-agreed-to-pay-carnival-74700000-for-charter-of-carnival-fascination/

I'd like to hear from a medical professional the feasibility of turning a cruise ship into a hospital. During Katrina I think they were used for lodging and not treating. It doesn't seem like an easy flip.

• Like 1

Have no problem with government helping companies whose only problem is short term liquidity shortfall caused by Coronna.  All bailouts though should be done Buffett style - exchange cash for high yield preferred stock + equity kicker.  Gives US the opportunity to make a profit when business recovers.

3 hours ago, LorraineP said:

What about retirees?

They made such a general statement on the news that I'm not sure what's what.  I assumed that it would be based on a joint tax return which would rule us out. However  BND stated that's it's per individual.  I didn't get the impression that they were excluding retirees. Its all speculation at this point until.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They made such a general statement on the news that I'm not sure what's what.  I assumed that it would be based on a joint tax return which would rule us out. However  BND stated that's it's per individual.  I didn't get the impression that they were excluding retirees. Its all speculation at this point until.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It’s $1200 check for an adult making $75,000 or $2400 for a couple filing jointly making $150,000. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LorraineP said:

It’s $1200 check for an adult making $75,000 or $2400 for a couple filing jointly making $150,000. 

Under the plan, the details of which were revealed on the Senate floor by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., individuals making up to $75,000 annually would be eligible for a $1,200 check from the federal government.

Married couples who file their taxes jointly must make less than $150,000 to qualify for their payment, which would be $2,400.

3 hours ago, Big_G said:

I'd like to hear from a medical professional the feasibility of turning a cruise ship into a hospital. During Katrina I think they were used for lodging and not treating. It doesn't seem like an easy flip.

@Ocean Boy  what’s you thought on this.  I think it could be tough to do, but you have greater knowledge than me in this field. 

23 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Citizens will probably get a one time check, but don't forget it was your money to begin with and it will cost you far more in taxes to pay interest on the debt in the long run.

No, I won't get a check. What actually happens is money that was once mine will become someone else's. And I'll still be paying interest on the debt too.

39 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Ocean Boy  what’s you thought on this.  I think it could be tough to do, but you have greater knowledge than me in this field. 

Ships make nice hotels but terrible hospitals. Understand that if someone is sick enough to need hospitalization they also need monitoring. How to you set up nureses stations on the various decks, monitoring equipment, room doors are not wide enough, passageways are narrow, bathrooms are not set up for people with temporary disabilities or post operative needs. Infectious waste needs to be dealt with. Carpeting is everywhere and that alone makes the environment difficult to deal with. Bedding and mattresses are inappropriate. The list could go on. I think a hotel would be a better choice and even then not a great choice.

• Like 2

Back to the bailout topic, this was released today 

Government Report--Cruise lines are not included in the Senate Republican economic rescue plan submitted this afternoon, reports Anne Madison, strategic communications consultant for CLIA.
"We do know there has been public acknowledgement by officials to provide support through economic stimulus, but the cruise lines are not lobbying for or asking for a bailout," says Madison.
She continues: "The most important stimulus the government can provide is help for small- and medium-size businesses. We know that every 1% decline in cruisers from the U.S. alone results in the loss of 2,000 U.S. jobs.
"Those jobs are primarily small businesses and independent business owners—and they extend beyond the cruise industry. The jobs directly impacted are travel agents and small travel agencies who are responsible for booking 75% of cruises in the U.S.A. and whose livelihoods depend on cruise.
"It’s clear the cruise community is a vital artery for the U.S. and world
economies, and we know it will be a significant contributor to fueling the economic recovery."

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ships make nice hotels but terrible hospitals. Understand that if someone is sick enough to need hospitalization they also need monitoring. How to you set up nureses stations on the various decks, monitoring equipment, room doors are not wide enough, passageways are narrow, bathrooms are not set up for people with temporary disabilities or post operative needs. Infectious waste needs to be dealt with. Carpeting is everywhere and that alone makes the environment difficult to deal with. Bedding and mattresses are inappropriate. The list could go on. I think a hotel would be a better choice and even then not a great choice.

That was my suspicion, but not as thorough as your explanation. Sounds more like it could be a ship for the dead, than a centre of care, all depending on the severity of the patients. Don’t think I’d want to stay on that ship anytime soon. 

In WWI and WWII there were passenger liners converted into hospital ships.  Some pretty famous ones too.  I applaud the cruise industry for offering some of their ships for this or any other humanitarian purpose- even if some here think it is not very feasible.

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In WWI and WWII there were passenger liners converted into hospital ships.  Some pretty famous ones too.  I applaud the cruise industry for offering some of their ships for this or any other humanitarian purpose- even if some here think it is not very feasible.

And what was considered appropriate medical care in the era of WW I and WW II is hardly equivelent to standard if practice in 2020.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Staffing would be another issue. As those at the front lines now, will start to become sick themselves, the hospitals will be short handed.  Here they are looking for additional nurses to cover pop up test sites and makeshift hospitals. They  are offering $90 to $100 an hour for a 10-12 hour shift.

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And what was considered appropriate medical care in the era of WW I and WW II is hardly equivelent to standard if practice in 2020.

And if the world all hits Italy's outbreak level, you may not be able to replicate 2020 standards, and may decide something's better than nothing, ala China's "temporary" hospitals...which were no real hospital, but helped anyway...

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So you don't think the US Navy Hospital Mercy-class ships can provide appropriate medical care?

54 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And if the world all hits Italy's outbreak level, you may not be able to replicate 2020 standards, and may decide something's better than nothing, ala China's "temporary" hospitals...which were no real hospital, but helped anyway...

At least that is what the Chinese goverment says.