Bailout for Cruise Companies

On 3/19/2020 at 3:18 PM, leen50 said:

We live 3+ hours from Galveston & cruise often In Feb. my DS & BIL flew in from Long Island, NY to cruise w/us. They took an Uber to LaGuardia & S.W. airlines to Houston. We stayed in a Hotel with them, ate at restaurants, bought gas, paid for port parking, took a tour in Galveston etc. Without having a cruise, we would have done none of these things (all in America).

The American businesses in port cities is suffering as a result.

Not looking to start a 'fight'. It's just my opinion.

Exactly. And don't forget the thousands of port workers, like ticket agents, luggage porters, food suppliers, etc, that do actually work in the US and not only depend on the ships for their livelihood but do also pay taxes. 

It's nowhere near as simple as "bailing out a foreign company". 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, lcantw3658 said:

Exactly. And don't forget the thousands of port workers, like ticket agents, luggage porters, food suppliers, etc, that do actually work in the US and not only depend on the ships for their livelihood but do also pay taxes. 

It's nowhere near as simple as "bailing out a foreign company". 

I'm a natural citizen of the U.S. Paid all my taxes and supported all the businesses I needed for over 50 years, I could use a bailout, what about us?

Sorry cruise companies, like Celebrity and Carnival and their sub's, not in my book - you are 'foreign' companies trying to evade all the US requirements.  I would support assistance for companies like American Air Lines, Delta, United, etc., and many of the small business and their employees hurting with the present 'stay at home' requirements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is so weird to me. 

Why in in the heck would anyone want cruise fares to double for the same product?

Seems as though many are happy to now bash the cruise industry which has provided them with wonderful experiences in the past.

Bailout or not the cruise industry isn’t going away, thank goodness, because it’s probably our favorite mode of vacationing at this point.

Dan

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 12:08 PM, BND said:

Nothing has been finalized and different income levels have been talked about.  I just know we'd get zero regardless of which plan happens.  It's also been discussed that less than 75K would get 1,000 and those making more would get less all the way up to where individuals get zero.  Also, it's not $1,000 to families, it's $1,000 to individual adults and a smaller amount for children.

You seem to know more then just about everyone here on every subject,Hows that feel to know everything that nobody else knows? Wish I could GUESS as well as you.

Edited by rtazz17

16 minutes ago, BND said:

This explains a little why ships are foreign flagged.  It goes way beyond tax avoidance.  This also applies to merchant ships, not just cruise ships.  https://www.cruisejobfinder.com/fm/cruises/foreign-flagged-cruise-ships.php

Thanks for the article.  I was looking for this information to provide to those friends that don’t understand all the reasons for foreign flagged cruise ships.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Why in in the heck would anyone want cruise fares to double for the same product?

Seems as though many are happy to now bash the cruise industry which has provided them with wonderful experiences in the past.

Bailout or not the cruise industry isn’t going away, thank goodness, because it’s probably our favorite mode of vacationing at this point.

Dan

Because there are some people around here who feel cruising was much better before the ships became accessible to the unclean masses of people who have invaded due to better affordability. Price increases is their way to get back their golden days of cruising.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

You seem to know more then just about everyone here on every subject,Hows that feel to know everything that nobody else knows? Wish I could GUESS as well as you.

Has something been finalized?  You're the one challenging.

All I've done is talk about what has been "talked" about.  I have not said anytime that this is what's going to happen, just what's been talked about by the Gov.  You need to relax.

Edited by BND

Just now, FLACRUISER99 said:

Agreed, but these ships were originally converted supertankers so why can't you convert a cruise ship. 

I didn't know that we were talking about permanent conversions. I thought the subject was temporarily using a cruise ship as a hospital. Of course you can gut a cruise ship and turn it into anything you want, for the right price and if you have enough time, but it isn't going to return to being a cruise ship.

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I didn't know that we were talking about permanent conversions. I thought the subject was temporarily using a cruise ship as a hospital. Of course you can gut a cruise ship and turn it into anything you want, for the right price and if you have enough time, but it isn't going to return to being a cruise ship.

If you can convert it one way you could convert it back.😌

Because there are some people around here who feel cruising was much better before the ships became accessible to the unclean masses of people who have invaded due to better affordability. Price increases is their way to get back their golden days of cruising.
These people can always choose premium lines like Regent, Silverseas, Fred, etc.
No masses here

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

These people can always choose premium lines like Regent, Silverseas, Fred, etc.
No masses here

They could... but they don't. They are hell bent on "fixing" what they see as "wrong" with RCI and the rest of the mass market lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

Because I’d rather see cruise goers pay for the cost of this, than all of us taxpayers. 

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

In WWI and WWII there were passenger liners converted into hospital ships.  Some pretty famous ones too.  I applaud the cruise industry for offering some of their ships for this or any other humanitarian purpose- even if some here think it is not very feasible.

In 1982, QE 2 turned into a troop transport ship. And the empire won the war.

18 minutes ago, lbjen said:

Because I’d rather see cruise goers pay for the cost of this, than all of us taxpayers. 

What kind of car do drive?  It better not be a Chrysler or GM.  As driver of neither, why should have my taxes paid for their bailout just so you can continue to drive a Chrysler or GM vehicle (if you do)?  There are multiple reasons for and against bailouts.

I am on the fence about potential bailouts of any company.

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

Double? More like Triple cost with Changes mentioned... Not that many yrs ago was lot more expensive to take 7nite Cruise then a week at Hotel/Parks in Orlando. And that was only in OV Cabin. Now, lot cheaper on Cruise...