P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our cabin, G407 I think, definitely didn't feel small. 

It has a sofa and was very well appointed and very comfortable. 

We spent a lot of time in the cabin as Michelle was unwell for a few days and never felt like we were crammed in. 

Andy 

The you tube video I was looking at was for a balcony with shower only, and it did seem small.  I know it's difficult to judge from a video,  but maybe I've just become used to the balconies on Arcadia and Aurora. 

The video of the type of cabin you were in did look large enough, except for a shower over the bath, and that's the main stumbling block for me now.

Maybe I'm just too picky🙄

Avril

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The you tube video I was looking at was for a balcony with shower only, and it did seem small.  I know it's difficult to judge from a video,  but maybe I've just become used to the balconies on Arcadia and Aurora. 

The video of the type of cabin you were in did look large enough, except for a shower over the bath, and that's the main stumbling block for me now.

Avril

I know you don't like large ships but the Iona balcony cabins are far better than those on Britttania. Nice shower with door, sofa in main cabin and slightly larger balcony. The decor is much fresher as well. All my opinion but others have commented similar when onboard Iona.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Ours definitely didn't have a bath... 

The balconies are small, but big enough for 2 to sit out comfortably, not much smaller than a standard Aurora balcony but felt bigger as not cut out of the Hull. 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I know you don't like large ships but the Iona balcony cabins are far better than those on Britttania. Nice shower with door, sofa in main cabin and slightly larger balcony. The decor is much fresher as well. All my opinion but others have commented similar when onboard Iona.

Yes, we're definitely more comfortable on smaller ships Bob, and I was willing to give Britannia a try if I could get what we wanted, but I think Iona would be a step too far outside my comfort zone.

I might look at Ventura though🤔

Avril

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry - yes.  For some reason I had IHT planning in my head. Sort of goes hand in hand with wills!

One thing to be aware of with IHT if you are close to the maximum before tax, is that if you downsize below the house value of £350,000, you may need to gift some more if your beneficiaries are to avoid paying tax, and then hope you survive 7 more years.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

One thing to be aware of with IHT if you are close to the maximum before tax, is that if you downsize below the house value of £350,000, you may need to gift some more if your beneficiaries are to avoid paying tax, and then hope you survive 7 more years.

Good point, John. Far better than the children, or whoever, losing 40% of the inheritance. We’ve been adopting a pretty heavy disinvestment policy for quite a while now, with that in mind. It’s been transformational for the lives of our kids and grandchildren when they really need it, rather than when we’re dead, it’s too late, and 40% has gone out of it in tax. I don’t worry too much about the stock market these days either!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Yes, we're definitely more comfortable on smaller ships Bob, and I was willing to give Britannia a try if I could get what we wanted, but I think Iona would be a step too far outside my comfort zone.

I might look at Ventura though🤔

Avril

Our Superior deluxe balcony cabin on Ventura.

Big balcony but overlooked from above.

Bath with shower over.

Graham

Screenshot_20220426_183009.jpg

Screenshot_20220426_182944.jpg

• Like 2

I think that today I have most relaxed day that I have had for several weeks.  I spent the morning pottering around doing little jobs in the garden, this afternoon I ventured into the north of the city, towards @pete14@Presto2 land for a bowling match, I was dreading it but managed to win my game and our team won the match so a good day other than the appalling traffic on the way home.

My God-daughter has just called me to tell me that she is expecting Uncle David to babysit her 9 months old son when she comes to get her Covid booster jab tomorrow because she doesn't want to bring him into the pharmacy.  David is in for a shock when I tell him that bit of news, perhaps I won't tell him and let her shock him 🤣🤣

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Do you have unused travel credit note, then you should read this from Martin Lewis in respect of ATOL protection after the 30 September 2022.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/04/a-huge-p85m-in-unused-credit-notes-are-lying-about-from-cancelle/

We don’t but I’m sure that many people do so a very helpful link.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Or create a trust as this protects any growth on the asset from IHT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good point, John. Far better than the children, or whoever, losing 40% of the inheritance. We’ve been adopting a pretty heavy disinvestment policy for quite a while now, with that in mind. It’s been transformational for the lives of our kids and grandchildren when they really need it, rather than when we’re dead, it’s too late, and 40% has gone out of it in tax. I don’t worry too much about the stock market these days either!

It's also nice to be able to see the benefit it brings as well.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:45 PM, Eddie99 said:

Thank you Graham

I’ve lived with cats for all bar about 4 years of my life.  We’ve had a cat/cats since we were married.  It still seems strange that this is now a cat-free home.  I guess we’ll get used to it, in time

On a brighter note, it’s a lovely warm sunny day

Oh I am so sorry to read this. We had to have on of our fur babies put to sleep on New Year's Eve and were heart broken. Thankfully her mum is doing ok and has not reacted too badly. Take care, losing one fur baby is hard, but two in such a short space of time must be so difficult. x

• Thanks 1

If anyone is considering Iona then we can recommend category GD balcony cabin 12715. It’s an aft cabin which is well located very near the elevator bank, only 3 decks below the Horizon buffet (no deck 13!) and Lido deck, 4 decks above the Quays and easy access to the 4 main dining rooms of Coral (deck 7) and Pearl, Aqua and Opal all on deck 6. 
Very impressed by the bathroom with a great rectangular shower, plenty of shelving, mirror that does not steam up. Nightlight so no need to switch on the main light during the night. 

5DF8538E-33CA-41B4-A9A5-52AF27D5DC5F.jpeg

C4251291-4D67-4DD6-87DF-F44433C773BA.jpeg

CD5B32BB-2555-4064-BECE-F5EB6DD48305.jpeg

07440A36-9A1C-4A1F-80EA-CA54CDF6EC3A.jpeg

D4B9A709-0E55-4FF5-96AE-89ED2EB49A58.jpeg

4C0EAF0B-00C3-4611-8525-40A445E6EA81.jpeg

595C8CCD-BD79-4493-AE9C-86AFF64A6F94.jpeg

89F940EA-BE8E-4A72-994D-FE24975B54C7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

If anyone is considering Iona then we can recommend category GD balcony cabin 12715. It’s an aft cabin which is well located very near the elevator bank, only 3 decks below the Horizon buffet (no deck 13!) and Lido deck, 4 decks above the Quays and easy access to the 4 main dining rooms of Coral (deck 7) and Pearl, Aqua and Opal all on deck 6. 
Very impressed by the bathroom with a great rectangular shower, plenty of shelving, mirror that does not steam up. Nightlight so no need to switch on the main light during the night. 

5DF8538E-33CA-41B4-A9A5-52AF27D5DC5F.jpeg

C4251291-4D67-4DD6-87DF-F44433C773BA.jpeg

CD5B32BB-2555-4064-BECE-F5EB6DD48305.jpeg

07440A36-9A1C-4A1F-80EA-CA54CDF6EC3A.jpeg

D4B9A709-0E55-4FF5-96AE-89ED2EB49A58.jpeg

4C0EAF0B-00C3-4611-8525-40A445E6EA81.jpeg

595C8CCD-BD79-4493-AE9C-86AFF64A6F94.jpeg

89F940EA-BE8E-4A72-994D-FE24975B54C7.jpeg

Thanks - looks great. We always love an aft cabin and had originally booked an aft cabin on deck 11. Just to ask if there was any water from the infinity pool as rumour has it that it can come down on to the aft balconies.

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks - looks great. We always love an aft cabin and had originally booked an aft cabin on deck 11. Just to ask if there was any water from the infinity pool as rumour has it that it can come down on to the aft balconies.

It wasn’t an aft cabin as such, just located starboard side, towards aft

Hi all,waited at the tube turnstiles for the old codgers 9 o clock bell.Got to Stratford in time to get the earlier 10.00 NE to STN.Shuttle bus to car rental was there straight away.Parked outside our house at 12.00.Not bad going,thing is STN is only 35 miles from us as the crow flies,lol.

• Like 3

It looks like we are going to have another nice day, bright and sunny at the moment.  The birds decided that 4 o'clock was a good time to wake us humans up so the cleaning was done by 6 am.  I am just waiting for the washing machine to finish so that I can get it out to dry before I have to get ready to go out.

Take care everyone and have a good day.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 3

10c and sunny here.

Up early because man coming to pressure wash extensive drive and patio block paving. Before retirement 6.15 was my week time alarm clock time and middle of the night if I had an early morning business flight but now 7.30 alarm seems so early. I now wake up naturally between 9 and 10 after watching tele until 12 to 1am!!

• Like 3