P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

In the Potteries it is Duck.

It’s duck for us in Derbyshire too Josy.  We’re on holiday in Scotland at the minute and yesterday someone said to me “excuse me hen” Both terms are ‘fowl’ though 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember Charlie, he was a regular on the comedy shows on tv that would now be classed as very non PC. Later on he became a regular at the local nightclub in the late 60's or early 70's. A proud Barnsley man.

Can you imagine how curt and unfriendly things would sound without the local love, pet, duck or even 'mi owd cocker'😉

Avril

Charlie was the epitome of a friendly Yorkshireman, impossible to take offence p.c. or not. If I remember right he was adopted by a family in Upton, and having played football for Doncaster Rovers he became a comedian. He had a bungalow in South Hiendley which we used to pass whilst visiting family.

• Like 3

This is a record for me

Out of five appointments all for different things ie Dr. hair, lunch, hospital, all five have been changed, ie cancelled  and rebooked, two of them twice.  I don't know if I'm coming or going.

My 'ead 'urts🙃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Our local paper had something similar only it was called "as Amos see's it"

We used to have a similar thing in our local paper called May un Mar Lady

I suppose that a lot of local papers had similar things.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

This is a record for me

Out of five appointments all for different things ie Dr. hair, lunch, hospital, all five have been changed, ie cancelled  and rebooked, two of them twice.  I don't know if I'm coming or going.

My 'ead 'urts🙃

You really have had a bad day, it can only get better 

5 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

This is a record for me

My 'ead 'urts🙃

You really have had  bad day, I hope you have a better day tomorrow🤞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

It’s duck for us in Derbyshire too Josy.  We’re on holiday in Scotland at the minute and yesterday someone said to me “excuse me hen” Both terms are ‘fowl’ though 🤣🤣

Yep hen is very common. Don’t be offended if you go further north and get Quine or any male companion Loon.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yep hen is very common. Don’t be offended if you go further north and get Quine or any male companion Loon.

I allus say tha can call me owt tha wonts as long as tha dunt call me late for dinner

• Haha 9

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Auntie's taxi service has just had a change of instructions for this afternoon.  Fortunately it is too cold for me to do much outside today do not a problem. 🙂

Screenshot_20240910-113743_WhatsApp.jpg.c2f424f3d010d229d13fc019bc66f346.jpg

Forget about accents and dialect, what has happened to "please" and "thank you"?

• Like 4

Impressed with my GP practice, hospital audiologist had email letter to GP today, copying me in, asking for the practice to clear wax out of one ear so a new mould can be taken, less than 5 minutes later got email and text with an appointment for next Tuesday afternoon with practice nurse. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Impressed with my GP practice, hospital audiologist had email letter to GP today, copying me in, asking for the practice to clear wax out of one ear so a new mould can be taken, less than 5 minutes later got email and text with an appointment for next Tuesday afternoon with practice nurse. 

I'm  moving to Floreat Salopia😀

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I'm  moving to Floreat Salopia😀

Our health authority don't do earwax syringing anymore.You have to pay 75 quid in specsavers etc using ultrasound.The excuse is the old water method damages the ear drums.Our SIL in Sevenoaks had it done at his GP though.

• Like 1

Morning all,had my cataracts sorted on my eye yesterday.Different surgeon,a bit longer and more uncomfortable procedure this time but grinned and bore it,lol.This morning taking the shield off,pretty good,just a light sensitive issue that will go soon hopefully.

• Like 18

Morning 😀 A bright 7.c start to the day for us but the room temp is 20.1 c so

the heating has not kicked in as yet . The new roof we had seems to be helping

with the house temps.Last night though watching the footie I had my dressing gown 

wrapped over my legs keeping me snug .

Hope you all have a good day and take care .🙂

• Like 11

Good morning all.

A beautiful sunrise this morning. Lying awake  in bed and watching the day begin the sky quickly turned to  a gorgeous vibrant orange. It was stunning. The sun is still shining, although it's a chilly 6c outside, but feels much colder. It seems as though we may be in for a long cold winter. 

A day of mixed emotions for us today. It's Frank's 79th birthday, but also the anniversary of his Mum's passing. Frank hasn't wanted to celebrate his birthday the way  we used to since then, so I do a simple buffet for when the family pop in with cards and presents.

I have a Morrisons delivery today, but nothing  else planned, so a lazy day at home in the warm I think. 

Have a good day everyone whatever you have planned. Take care and stay warm.

Avril

• Like 16

Morning all,

A bright sunny day, but very windy but not too cold at 13c but expected to rise by another 2c.

We woke up to no electricity, the strong winds overnight must have resulted in a power cut.

@Adawn47 Happy Birthday to Frank, wishing him all the best.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

A day of mixed emotions for us today. It's Frank's 79th birthday, but also the anniversary of his Mum's passing. Frank hasn't wanted to celebrate his birthday the way  we used to since then, so

Hoping Frank has a great day ,his mum would have wanted nothing less for him 🙂

So image.gif.81c879d8707dd3630aacec2365ea220a.gif Frank have a good one  from us two😃

Mrs K understands your feelings because when she was just sweet sixteen her 

dad passed away on Christmas morning and never got to open the gift she had 

bought for him . So understands your feelings .

Anyway have a good day and take care .🙂👍

Edited by kalos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I've had a busy start to the day with some required home tech changes. I had an email from Microsoft in July saying that after mid September I would have to sign on to my hotmail email address through a more secure app method. I ignored it and hadn't heard anything else thinking I would get regular reminders if it REALLY applied to me, however this morning I got another saying that that new sign in method is needed in 5 days times the 16th September!! It's strange that the email only went to one of my 2 accounts which are both old. Anyway after downloading the app to my ipad and laptop its seems to be working OK but it doesn't seem to work on my old iphone. I am reasonably tech savvy but still get anxious that everything goes OK with this sort of thing. Unhelpfully the email didn't give links to help articles I had to google it and find the apps myself. And relax............

• Like 2

Good morning all , it’s a lovely sunny day this morning with blue skies, I hope anyone celebrating a special day today have a lovely day with family and friends.

Kalos that little story you just told about mrs k and her father was so sad and brought a tear to my eye, so young to loose a parent.

I’m off to hospital at lunch time to have a Echocardiogram to check a few things out , I think my doctor is giving me a good MOT , because I’ve been storing up quite a few problems of the years and decided to go and speak to her , next week is a stomach scan and then just waiting for a MRA scan appointment.

I,m sure all is ok and she’ll just tell me to exercise more 😤

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all, and Purdey.  I'm having my echo done tomorrow - after a 7 month wait - and hope to be told, probably weeks later, that nothing funny  has been seen.  I get more breathless recently, but think and hope it is just due to being unfit and am trying to walk more.

Glad you have now had both your ops., Brian, onwards and upwards etc.  Avril, I hope you and Frank have a nice day for his birthday; it is good to read your  posts now, which sound much more cheerful and positive than you were feeling recently. 

Suddenly blue skies here, but pretty cold and the heating is on as needed.  Have a good day, everyone.

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t know if any of you listen to Anti social, it’s a podcast by Adam Fleming who does newscast. This week it is all about regional accents and local verbal ticks, in this case the use of “Pet” in the north east. Apparently the local university has issued guidance about the use of it (or preferably not according to them).

It made me think about accents. We once had a gent a table who said (not in an unfriendly way) that he would not be speaking to me because he couldn’t understand a word I said as I had an accent. I smilingly pointed out that he had one too and that I just listened carefully to comprehend him. Funny how some geographical areas of the U.K. think it’s only others that have an accent. 

Locally the equivalent of pet is “son”, my mother even referred to her eminent oncologist as son. So while those in the north east don’t think you are their domesticated animal those here don’t think you are a long lost relative, it’s just a term of endearment.

So what are the other local terms eg have heard “my lover” in the deep south of England.

I have a friend from Armenia. Calls everybody..my son.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Good morning all.

A beautiful sunrise this morning. Lying awake  in bed and watching the day begin the sky quickly turned to  a gorgeous vibrant orange. It was stunning. The sun is still shining, although it's a chilly 6c outside, but feels much colder. It seems as though we may be in for a long cold winter. 

A day of mixed emotions for us today. It's Frank's 79th birthday, but also the anniversary of his Mum's passing. Frank hasn't wanted to celebrate his birthday the way  we used to since then, so I do a simple buffet for when the family pop in with cards and presents.

I have a Morrisons delivery today, but nothing  else planned, so a lazy day at home in the warm I think. 

Have a good day everyone whatever you have planned. Take care and stay warm.

Avril

Happy birthday to Frank. Have a nice day.🥳

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1