P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well it’s the start of a new month. 2 weeks from today we should have been heading to New York for a 14 night southern Caribbean cruise, but how things change. Yesterday 501 of my colleagues ended their careers in the travel industry, taking voluntary redundancy, now we await the rumoured additional 500 mandatory redundancies. 

From today I can’t go to visit my 84 & 85 year old parents as the Conwy county of North Wales is to go into local lockdown and the restrictions there are more stringent than in England. So glad we went 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Easy, you just pour it in your mouth and swallow 😉 Great mixed with Captain Morgans spiced rum and some lemonade plus a crushed orange slice or two .

I do not recommend cider with vodka chasers, it sent me crazy so I gave it up 50 years ago. Eeek it has been that long 😱😱😱

Wetherspoons used to do a TVR ,Tequila,Vodka and Red Bull for 2 quid.Lovely jubbly.

From yesterday till 7th Oct it is mandatory here to wear a mask in all outside and inside public settings.Penalty 400 Euro.Only 5 extra cases in the whole of Calabria,but that's enough to trigger these measures.Not a lockdown,just extra precautions that people adhere to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Our best afternoon tea experience was on the Diamond Princess in 2012.It was our 2nd cruise,the first being in 2007.We saw tea being advertised in the MDR so went in for a cuppa,lol.Waiters in tails and white gloves,a string quartet playing and an amazing selection of everything.A superb unexpected experience.Cheers,Brian.

Our best afternoon tea experience was on The Spirit of Chartwell on a Thames river cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary. I often find afternoon teas to be very sweet, but there was a lot of savoury items too, and it was fun to watch the  London scenery glide past as we ate.

The following year, the boat became the royal barge as part of the Jubilee celebrations, and after that she went to Portugal for Douro river cruises 

34 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Our best afternoon tea experience was on The Spirit of Chartwell on a Thames river cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary. I often find afternoon teas to be very sweet, but there was a lot of savoury items too, and it was fun to watch the  London scenery glide past as we ate.

The following year, the boat became the royal barge as part of the Jubilee celebrations, and after that she went to Portugal for Douro river cruises 

The good thing was,us being "Greenhorn" cruisers were not expecting it.Just wanted a cuppa.Filled us up a bit for dinner later.Cheers, Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

From yesterday till 7th Oct it is mandatory here to wear a mask in all outside and inside public settings.Penalty 400 Euro.Only 5 extra cases in the whole of Calabria,but that's enough to trigger these measures.Not a lockdown,just extra precautions that people adhere to.

So the only place you won’t be masked is your own home and private gardens. 

For me that’s just a step too far. It’s bad enough that people have to wear the horrible things in indoor settings but I really don’t see any point out in the fresh air. Do they have science to back up transmission outside?

I wonder how many people will end up with bacterial chest infections from their mask, skin conditions from contact dermatitis or a acne etc when they might never have had any chance of catching Covid outdoors.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

+1 . The chances of receiving a significant viral load in the open is infinitesimal. Pure political posturing.

I agree.

The only possible reason would be in a shopping area where you put your mask on to go into a shop then take it off outside and if you do this a few times it could be the continuous touching of the mask might cause a problem.

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Only wish we could expect the same level of compliance - or number of cases!  

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So the only place you won’t be masked is your own home and private gardens. 

For me that’s just a step too far. It’s bad enough that people have to wear the horrible things in indoor settings but I really don’t see any point out in the fresh air. Do they have science to back up transmission outside?

I wonder how many people will end up with bacterial chest infections from their mask, skin conditions from contact dermatitis or a acne etc when they might never have had any chance of catching Covid outdoors.

I know what you are saying is true and it's frustrating. Problem as I see it is that any excuse will do for some. Yesterday some clown had his mask under his nose. Excuse me, your mask has slipped. No virus up my nose mate. 

Didn't notice there were 9 people around the table. Excuse me, could you give me a little more space?. But I've got me mask on... .If we have some rules and stick to them, we may avoid another 40k+ of our people dying.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I know what you are saying is true and it's frustrating. Problem as I see it is that any excuse will do for some. Yesterday some clown had his mask under his nose. Excuse me, your mask has slipped. No virus up my nose mate. 

Didn't notice there were 9 people around the table. Excuse me, could you give me a little more space?. But I've got me mask on... .If we have some rules and stick to them, we may avoid another 40k+ of our people dying.

It annoys me because all the rules are getting more and more draconian, while this is in Italy I live in absolute dread that something like this will come in here next.

I haven’t been in a shop, a public space indoors, my church or anywhere else because I can’t wear a mask for any length of time. So my choice is to avoid places they are required because (in spite of legal exemptions) I would struggle to comply with the norm and don’t choose to be aggressively challenged every 2 minutes if I don’t have a mask on (we are no longer allowed to use visors up here). I also think it is safer for me but very restrictive, there are some things you can’t get by click and collect or on line.

For those of us who have obeyed all the rules, some by wearing masks, giving space etc and others like me by avoiding the places this would be required it is so frustrating to see rules flouted which may necessitate further restrictions for us all.

At the moment my only joy is getting out for long walks. Outdoor mask wearing would take even that away. I really feel for Brian in the circumstances.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It annoys me because all the rules are getting more and more draconian, while this is in Italy I live in absolute dread that something like this will come in here next.

I haven’t been in a shop, a public space indoors, my church or anywhere else because I can’t wear a mask for any length of time. So my choice is to avoid places they are required because (in spite of legal exemptions) I would struggle to comply with the norm and don’t choose to be aggressively challenged every 2 minutes if I don’t have a mask on (we are no longer allowed to use visors up here). I also think it is safer for me but very restrictive, there are some things you can’t get by click and collect or on line.

For those of us who have obeyed all the rules, some by wearing masks, giving space etc and others like me by avoiding the places this would be required it is so frustrating to see rules flouted which may necessitate further restrictions for us all.

At the moment my only joy is getting out for long walks. Outdoor mask wearing would take even that away. I really feel for Brian in the circumstances.

It seems that you are doing the best you can to suit your circumstances. That is what we should all do. What annoys me are folks who say they are not having a jab and don't want to have to carry a certificate. Wrong,wrong,wrong. They seem to have forgotten to add the bit that says.............So, my alternative solution is.......I will have a jab, my choice. If they don't want one. Fine. Their choice. If there are consequences to that choice...  ...

• Like 1

Question 

had a guy quoting £670 to top soil and turf garden. 
it’s 7x5 and 7x4 so 63m2

do you think that’s a good price?

worried if we do it the turf won’t take and hubby is getting a bit tired after doing it for  nearly 3 weeks straight. 

5A36095F-F61B-4AD4-ACE9-7ED40E00CC01.thumb.jpeg.61cce30f990a506ba281c4e623301b86.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Way back in March with the total lockdown,we weren't allowed more than 200 mts from our home,that kind of alleviated the need for masks outside.We're still allowed unlimited table sizes in restaurants but have to put mask on when leaving table for any reason.There are 10 of us going out tonight,no problem.The biggest problem today was on my twice daily  2 mile power walk,the mask which was on my chin (just in case plod drove around the corner) was drowned in sweat.It's still high 20s here.Our biggest worry will be driving home early Nov with 3 stopovers.The last one in France.We are just renting apartments and using Le Shuttle,one continuous bubble hopefully,cheers,Brian.

39 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Question 

it’s 7x5 and 7x4 so 63m2

worried if we do it the turf won’t take and hubby is getting a bit tired after doing it for  nearly 3 weeks straight. 

5A36095F-F61B-4AD4-ACE9-7ED40E00CC01.thumb.jpeg.61cce30f990a506ba281c4e623301b86.jpeg

That looks pretty flat to me.Don't think it would be a major job raking topsoil on and laying turf.Patio looks good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Way back in March with the total lockdown,we weren't allowed more than 200 mts from our home,that kind of alleviated the need for masks outside.We're still allowed unlimited table sizes in restaurants but have to put mask on when leaving table for any reason.There are 10 of us going out tonight,no problem.The biggest problem today was on my twice daily  2 mile power walk,the mask which was on my chin (just in case plod drove around the corner) was drowned in sweat.It's still high 20s here.Our biggest worry will be driving home early Nov with 3 stopovers.The last one in France.We are just renting apartments and using Le Shuttle,one continuous bubble hopefully,cheers,Brian.

I must add it was like a disaster movie up North here.The army were cremating bodies in faraway facilities and bringing the ashes back to the loved ones who hadn't even been allowed to leave their homes.Here in the South with hardly any medical infrastructure compared to the North.It would be Armageddon if it took hold here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I agree, we have  followed all rules to the letter.

The problem is no one seems to know what applies where and is law or advised against.

We stopped at home in lockdown and didn't dare drive more than 5 minutes from home in case we were stopped and fined while others drove 250 miles to see family and another 30 miles to check their eyesight.

50 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Question 

it’s 7x5 and 7x4 so 63m2

On the basis of websites such as this (https://www.priceyourjob.co.uk/turf-laying-cost/) it's probably a fair price, particularly as there seems to be a lot of money chasing garden work at present.

Do try to ensure, though, that it's a reputable contractor - there are quite a few turfing cowboys.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That looks pretty flat to me.Don't think it would be a major job raking topsoil on and laying turf.Patio looks good.

thanks. That’s the one I paid to have done. Will post ours when it’s finished. Not the same standard 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

On the basis of websites such as this (https://www.priceyourjob.co.uk/turf-laying-cost/) it's probably a fair price, particularly as there seems to be a lot of money chasing garden work at present.

Do try to ensure, though, that it's a reputable contractor - there are quite a few turfing cowboys.

yes we have had a few quotes and these were the people I liked. Others didn’t seems quite right to me

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I Absolutely agree with you.

I wasn't aware of the visor restriction in Scotland.

I use an expensive hard plastic visor which totalling covers my face,ears, forehead and chin but some of the flimsy visors look useless.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I Absolutely agree with you.

I wasn't aware of the visor restriction in Scotland.

I use an expensive hard plastic visor which totalling covers my face,ears, forehead and chin but some of the flimsy visors look useless.

That's called a snorkel isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2