P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

58 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Question 

had a guy quoting £670 to top soil and turf garden. 
it’s 7x5 and 7x4 so 63m2

do you think that’s a good price?

worried if we do it the turf won’t take and hubby is getting a bit tired after doing it for  nearly 3 weeks straight. 

5A36095F-F61B-4AD4-ACE9-7ED40E00CC01.thumb.jpeg.61cce30f990a506ba281c4e623301b86.jpeg

Seems reasonable but check if they have references, telephone number,home/business address and only pay when the job is finished and you are happy with it.

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

yes we have had a few quotes and these were the people I liked. Others didn’t seems quite right to me

Perhaps ask if he has a portfolio of photos of completed jobs.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Seems reasonable but check if they have references, telephone number,home/business address and only pay when the job is finished and you are happy with it.

I found him as he did a house across from the pub and it looks really good. He has two teams and it’s all registered. 

suppose I was hoping for it to be cheaper 😂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I Absolutely agree with you.

I wasn't aware of the visor restriction in Scotland.

I use an expensive hard plastic visor which totalling covers my face,ears, forehead and chin but some of the flimsy visors look useless.

I came across this on E-bay only £8 !   Just the job for a quick scoot around your local supermarket :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

s-l640.jpg.d5aad9e5a89d313fcff094ebc941f075.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I found him as he did a house across from the pub and it looks really good. He has two teams and it’s all registered. 

suppose I was hoping for it to be cheaper 😂 

You could always ask if he would do it any cheaper for cash.

My budget is £600 etc.

Edited by grapau27

22 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

yes we have had a few quotes and these were the people I liked. Others didn’t seems quite right to me

I'm no expert but that doesn't seem to be a bad price  to me.   Also,  no stress and toil for you.. they arrive, do the job, and leave.  (I don't want to tempt fate so will say "hopefully"😀

I also think that you have to feel comfortable with the contractors you pick..as you have said you didn't feel comfortable with some of them.  Good not to go with them imho.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree, we have  followed all rules to the letter.

The problem is no one seems to know what applies where and is law or advised against.

We stopped at home in lockdown and didn't dare drive more than 5 minutes from home in case we were stopped and fined while others drove 250 miles to see family and another 30 miles to check their eyesight.

My Specsavers was closed. His as well probably.

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I'm sure Dominic Cummings knows the rules and loopholes.

If the new guidelines are confusing then it gives the likes of Cummings plenty of scope to interpret them to suit his own agenda. I'm waiting to see how much Boris's father is fined for going into shop without a mask. Or not😉

Avril

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kalos said:

I came across this on E-bay only £8 !   Just the job for a quick scoot around your local supermarket :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

s-l640.jpg.d5aad9e5a89d313fcff094ebc941f075.jpg

8 quid,prices must be diving.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had a bad experience with vodka when I was in my teens, and never wanted to try it again. But I love anything with coffee flavouring, so I feel quite keen to try this cocktail. 

I like a Black Russian. Vodka and Tia Maria, but with cola.  Gorgeous😋

Avril

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

If the new guidelines are confusing then it gives the likes of Cummings plenty of scope to interpret them to suit his own agenda. I'm waiting to see how much Boris's father is fined for going into shop without a mask. Or not😉

Avril

Maybe he was getting a few bits from the shop for Jeremy Corbyn's dinner party of 8

and to be fair they have both said they are very ,very sorry to the rest of us .:classic_unsure:

I have not been to our local shopping centre since early March pre-lockdown, part of the reason for that is we managed to have done virtually all out food shopping online, we had 3 online shopping accounts so we managed to get slots at some point during the week, if no slots we did a click & collect. We used our Local farm shop for much of our fresh fruit & vegetables, something we were doing before lockdown, we also have grown a lot of our own, still picking tomatoes & French beans. 

There has been very little we haven’t been able to buy online, which has included stamps, hinges, items for garden, clothes, shoes, wine, birthday cards and much more. Sites such as Amazon, eBay, Etsy, The online stores of a number of high st retailers have all come up with goods when needed. We have got to know our local Hermes delivery staff quite well, they know exactly where to put stuff if we weren’t in.

I noticed the other day that I had only filled my car with fuel 4 times this year to date,  normally is filled once or twice a month depending on time of year, not counting holiday fill ups. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Exactly.

JeremyCorbyn also because he was at a large indoor dinner

party.

If an example is not made of them it really is 1 rule for some and another rule for the rest of us.

Graham.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I have not been to our local shopping centre since early March pre-lockdown, part of the reason for that is we managed to have done virtually all out food shopping online, we had 3 online shopping accounts so we managed to get slots at some point during the week, if no slots we did a click & collect. We used our Local farm shop for much of our fresh fruit & vegetables, something we were doing before lockdown, we also have grown a lot of our own, still picking tomatoes & French beans. 

There has been very little we haven’t been able to buy online, which has included stamps, hinges, items for garden, clothes, shoes, wine, birthday cards and much more. Sites such as Amazon, eBay, Etsy, The online stores of a number of high st retailers have all come up with goods when needed. We have got to know our local Hermes delivery staff quite well, they know exactly where to put stuff if we weren’t in.

I noticed the other day that I had only filled my car with fuel 4 times this year to date,  normally is filled once or twice a month depending on time of year, not counting holiday fill ups. 

Mine was filled twice a week.

During Lockdown while working from home I filled the car up once in 4 month's.

I’m currently doing my packing for a week’s holiday in Devon & have re-packed the whole case 3 times so far, trying to fit enough warm jumpers in 🥴 I’m hoping that by having a case full of jeans and jumpers the weather might brighten up. There will only be my hubbie & me in the car do we should have loads of space but we seem to be taking everything but the kitchen sink for my daughter and the baby as her car is tiny. I’m terrible for not being able to pack light.
I love the thought of getting organised and starting the packing but it all goes pear shaped once I start!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Mine was filled twice a week.

During Lockdown while working from home I filled the car up once in 4 month's.

Cars have had very little use for months - last refuelled in March!

10 mile outing every few days to keep them ticking over, and a Ctek battery charger does the rest.  Thank goodness for supermarket deliveries, Amazon and eBay.  Haven’t needed to step inside a shop since March either.

We’ll have to do some longer trips before too long before the petrol deteriorates.  I’ve emailed Dom for some suggestions, but he seems a bit hung up on dental checks and Vision Express these days for some reason and keeps rabbiting  on about avoiding anywhere beginning with B.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I must add it was like a disaster movie up North here.The army were cremating bodies in faraway facilities and bringing the ashes back to the loved ones who hadn't even been allowed to leave their homes.Here in the South with hardly any medical infrastructure compared to the North.It would be Armageddon if it took hold here.

Italy is doing really well at present, obviously you're still enjoying high temps which will be helping to reduce the spread, but clearly it's not just that  because Spain and France are seeing higher infection rates, and Spain is generally hotter than Italy.

TBH I dont really understand why you are coming back to the UK, when everything seems better where you are now.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I went on line to check the restrictions on our area, found it first try, and it was clear and easy to understand. I suspect most people being interviewed by the media have not taken the trouble to go online and find out.

I would not want to claim there are people on here who are too lazy to do the same as I did, but it would not surprise me.

PS That last comment is in no way directed at you Avril, just that your post gave me the intro for mine.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cars have had very little use for months - last refuelled in March!

10 mile outing every few days to keep them ticking over, and a Ctek battery charger does the rest.  Thank goodness for supermarket deliveries, Amazon and eBay.  Haven’t needed to step inside a shop since March either.

We’ll have to do some longer trips before too long before the petrol deteriorates.  I’ve emailed Dom for some suggestions, but he seems a bit hung up on dental checks and Vision Express these days for some reason and keeps rabbiting  on about avoiding anywhere beginning with B.

My car told me it needed refuelling today, on my way back from B&Q for an outdoor lamp. I am fairly certain this is the first time this year, if not then the last time was  January.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I went on line to check the restrictions on our area, found it first try, and it was clear and easy to understand. I suspect most people being interviewed by the media have not taken the trouble to go online and find out.

I would not want to claim there are people on here who are too lazy to do the same as I did, but it would not surprise me.

PS That last comment is in no way directed at you Avril, just that your post gave me the intro for mine.

That's alright John, I didn't take offence,  I know you wouldn't be so rude😊 As you say, they are easy to find if you can be bothered to look. Good old Mr Google😁

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Maybe he was getting a few bits from the shop for Jeremy Corbyn's dinner party of 8

and to be fair they have both said they are very ,very sorry to the rest of us .:classic_unsure:

I wonder who taught him to count. He was sorry.........for getting caught. As there is no politics....did you read about the rude parrots.

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It's so very hard to understand especially if you only have 2 A levels. So folks just make up their own rules. Wash your hands ,have a rave, infect everybody else. Now the poor dears starting uni can't go home. Sad really.

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Vamps  - I think that's a pretty good price, and the cost saved by your hubbie doing it himself is not worth it. Spreading and levelling the top soil is hard work!

Make sure the contractor spreads fertilizer on the top soil before laying the turf.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I wonder who taught him to count. He was sorry.........for getting caught. As there is no politics....did you read about the rude parrots.

The Lincolnshire ones ?

I hadn't but I have now :classic_ohmy: Do you think that Wowzz may have paid them a visit whilst 

reading a few of Rodgers posts ?? :classic_unsure:

To be honest I would not put five foul mouthed parrots in with 250 non swearing one's .:classic_wacko:

I mean what could go wrong ? :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2