FLORIDA MEMBERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!!

Host CJSKIDS

As we are all one big community, we collectively thought it would be a great idea to start a thread on the cruise line forums so our members can have a place to socialize during these times of social distancing or "stay in Place' that we are all doing.  

Cruise Critic is indeed a community and now is the time that we need to be able to socialize and show support for one another.

Please let's show respect and kindness to each other and please let's keep politics off of this no matter where we live in this world. Everyone is frustrated and stressed but I know personally that it would be wonderful to know how everyone is doing on these boards that I have talked to, met or simply read your post over these 17 years that I have been a member.

Warm regards to every member on this board!

• Like 1

I probably have the darkest tan I've ever had.

A lot of pool time and a lot of margaritas.  Thank God the weather is beautiful and the liquor stores are open.

I've been with the same small group of people, one of which is a doctor, for the last ten days and we jump from house to house to cookout and have a pool party.

The hubs and I are also taking the time to try and get in really good shape.

Just trying to ride this out with an intact liver and realize that we have this amazing quality time together with sunshine and palm trees and people we love.

How are y'all holding up?

We left our Pompano Beach (just north of Fort Lauderdale) condo 3 weeks early yesterday to go to our summer house in Virginia.  It is relatively remote and large enough to fit our 2 kids, spouses and 2 grandchildren if necessary.  The drive on I-95 from south Florida to Route 26 in South Carolina was very slow.  It seemed like half the population of the eastern Canadian provinces were on the way back north; many with large RVs towing cars.  The 80 mile trip within South Carolina took 2 hours.  There were no accidents, just very heavy traffic. 

We will work on the yard (a never ending project), and enjoy spring in the Shenandoah Valley while worrying about our friends in south Florida (I used to only read the Sun-Sentinel for hurricane information; now I subscribed to get the latest on coronavirus in south Florida).

No matter where you are, may you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy!

Edited by capriccio

5 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Sun-Sentinel is free right now, for what that's worth.  No need to pay for it.

When I subscribed it was next to free (just one cent a day for 6 months and then $1.99 per week).  I would have paid more for the information if they had asked!

The Stuart area is very quiet right now.  Many snowbirds have already moved on to northern homes. Traffic has eased ff to light Summer levels. Restaurants are closed for other than take out, some beaches on the Treasure Coast are closed.  Bars are closed, but brew pubs serving food are open. Apparently the brewery aspect places the establishment in a different business category. Who knew?

The Canadians are abandoning south Florida. On a recent trip up I-95 and the Turnpike, it seemed every third vehicle had Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, etc license plates. Many motor homes. This is early, usually they don't leave until mid-April

Well, Lauderdale by the Sea is pretty much a ghost town.  If you’re a frequent visitor, you know that the majority of businesses are mom and pop, independently owned establishments. 

As soon as the beaches and bars closed, the spring breakers finally got the message and left town. 

Restaurants are open for limited hours for take out or delivery. 

Due to cancellations, our vacation rental is vacant, but this quiet time allows us to make some updates, do some landscaping, etc ... and we have the pool to ourselves!

Since my office is closed, I’ve been working from home and feel I have a more healthy work / life balance between working, exercising, cooking, etc. 

16 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Thank God the weather is beautiful and the liquor stores are open.

I spoke with someone who works in Total Wine HQ who told me business nationwide was running double their normal volume.  At least here in NOVA and DC area they have suspended on line ordering and delivery because of labor shortages (some caused by not wanting to work with customers, some caused by childcare issues related to schools being closed).  I hope I have enough booze to last 45 days! 😎

Just trying to navigate all of the business closures, massive cuts in my staff, helping them, etc.  Luckily we are able to continue functioning.  I'm staying away from the office and in isolation just in case.

So for me, this feels a bit like forced retirement.  My day to day is virtually nothing.  Weird feeling.  But in a way, we are kind of embracing it, enjoying time with the kids, and recognizing we are very fortunate for our personal situation.  We are going back and forth to our other house just for a change of pace, enjoying the lake and what not.  

State Parks just closed, which kind of sucks as there is an amazing and isolated park up here that was a lot of fun to go and walk around at.

Like BlueHerons, my goal is to still have a functioning liver when all this is done 🙂

4 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

One thing I don't understand here are restaurants offering drinks to go?  Why are they promoting drinking and driving?  I seen this on several places here in So. Florida.

bottles, cans, or individual drinks , say like a Gin and tonic ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

One thing I don't understand here are restaurants offering drinks to go?  Why are they promoting drinking and driving?  I seen this on several places here in So. Florida.

It's no different than purchasing a bottle of wine at Publix or a bottle at the liquor store, it's meant to be consumed at home. 

Restaurants are doing everything they can to keep going during these difficult times.  Liquor has the highest mark up for restaurants so this is actually very helpful to them. 

11 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

It's no different than purchasing a bottle of wine at Publix or a bottle at the liquor store, it's meant to be consumed at home. 

Restaurants are doing everything they can to keep going during these difficult times.  Liquor has the highest mark up for restaurants so this is actually very helpful to them. 

I see it differently.  you are not allowed to carry an open bottle of liquor in your car.  A drink to go certainly falls under that rule.

Not sure about FLA but pre-virus in DC and VA we were allowed to take a partially consumed bottle of wine home from a restaurant, under the theory that you are better off taking it home to finish.

I recall FLA back in the 70's had drive through liquor stores that would sell drinks to go - and provide a straw! 😨 Hopefully we are not going back to those days.

Hi folks, I am up in Jacksonville....roads are much emptier than normal for sure.  For me? Well, I did retire

as of Dec 31st----and I was supposed to be getting ready for a BIG retirement celebration trip for 28 nights

and of course that has been cancelled....what a way to start retirement. Let me back up a bit....I had surgery

in November and then at the end of January started a month of radiation treatments (ending at the end of FEB).

The Drs say everything looks good so I am very thankful:classic_smile:....but now? Well, I should be packing but instead?

I am cleaning out closets and re-organizing......Good Will is getting 8 (yes 8) bags of clothing!!!!

Daytona here 

We are still allowed on the beach and there are not many people. We are a little south from the heavy tourist areas 

So we walk and read, keeping a good distance from others and then stay home 

Lois, I remember you from many years ago and it’s good to see you posting 😊

Stay well fellow cruisers!

Edited by janetz

35 minutes ago, janetz said:

Daytona here 

We are still allowed on the beach and there are not many people. We are a little south from the heavy tourist areas 

So we walk and read, keeping a good distance from others and then stay home 

Lois, I remember you from many years ago and it’s good to see you posting 😊

Stay well fellow cruisers!

I remember you too:classic_smile:

2 hours ago, janetz said:

We have been around awhile, haven’t we?

i believe I remember when you where going on your first cruise 

Celebrity 😊

And many after that

LOL:classic_biggrin: that was 17 years ago!

Walked 7 miles on the beach today in Cocoa Beach.   5 ships are lined up across the bay with more docked at the port. ( Port Canaveral) They are constantly moving, going out to sea  and changing places at the port.

Hotels are either closed or very low occupancy. Bars are closed. Restaurants are take out only.

Beaches will be closed starting tomorrow from 11am to 4pm.  Guess I will be walking early! 

All beach parking lots have been closed for a week.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:58 AM, rucruisn2 said:

Lot of confusion here.

Most Florida liquor licenses (at least the beer/wine one) already allows you to sell PACKAGED alcohol (think bottles/cans of beer, bottle of wine, etc.) to go.  That is nothing new.  There are, however, licenses that do not allow you to sell for off-premise, for example, a hotel bar.

The change is that restaurants who couldn't sell off premise can now sell togo (sealed containres) and all licensees can now DELIVER it to your door. 

Both togo and delivery has to be a sealed container (unopened bottle/cans).  This isn't some rule that allows you to just hand people a margarita to drive home with - open containers laws still absolutely apply!

Edited by BNBR