The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

35 minutes ago, deec said:

try hendricks's with mulled cucumber instead of "twist'....if you are home look for Fever Tree Tonic Elderflower (no twist or cucumber)  or cucumber for a different tasting cocktail...Hendricks is my gin of choice!!!

Oooh, yes, I’d forgotten about cucumber. Thanks! We got the SS package for our upcoming cruise (we had to burn through voucher money, which I may have mentioned here), so I’m looking for good drink ideas. This one’s on the list!

21 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Oooh, yes, I’d forgotten about cucumber. Thanks! We got the SS package for our upcoming cruise (we had to burn through voucher money, which I may have mentioned here), so I’m looking for good drink ideas. This one’s on the list!

Try a "Pimm's Cup", it's not as dry as a G&T but a nice cocktail. Traditionally made with "Pimm's #1" mulled cucumber, lemon juice and ginger ale. My wife really enjoys them.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:47 AM, Peregrina651 said:

That said, cruise docs are now e-mail to us or our travel agent about two weeks before we travel. They contain basically what we see on MVJ and include important information such as where the ship is expected to dock for embarkation, the ship's phone number and e-mail.

We also get a snail-mailing with Viking luggage tags,  the personalized tags with name and cabin number for deliver to our cabin and a transfer sticker [...] The snail mail arrives early than the e-mailed doc, maybe 3-6 weeks prior to sailing.

Many thanks for posting this @Peregrina651.   

I just added reminders for the specific dates relative to  British Isles Explorer

1) In my Google Doc of ThingsToDo 

2) Alexa aka SheWhoShallNotBeNamedOutloud  will remind me out loud at 2:00pm on each of those 2 dates. "Be on the lookout for..."

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

Lovely evening here in the virtual explorer lounge. Had a wonderful afternoon  celebrating my granddaughter"s 20th birthday. Went shopping and early dinner. 

Now I am ready for a cocktail with gin, but not a martini. Bartender, please surprise me !

I will just sit here and muse about my next cruise 300+ days away.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

WhooHoo! 100 Days and we got Viking to move us from our Deck 6 port side DV2 to a DV1 facing the wake 😊

Now if they just won’t cancel🤞

0862748E-D6F1-4A0E-94AE-D93FC0DBE5F6.jpeg

2178E40B-B9D6-47CC-8499-E0EC20FBD7F2.jpeg

that will be an awesome trip!  What was your secret to scoring the aft cabin?

OK, I don’t know where to ask this, so this general thread seems a good place.  Somewhere, a week or two ago, there was a discussion about taking hiking poles in carry on luggage if they don’t fit inside.  Can you pack them in a backpack with a few inches sticking out?  So worried about lost luggage for our September trip.  If not I guess I can buy a new, smaller folding pair.   Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

OK, I don’t know where to ask this, so this general thread seems a good place.  Somewhere, a week or two ago, there was a discussion about taking hiking poles in carry on luggage if they don’t fit inside.  Can you pack them in a backpack with a few inches sticking out?  So worried about lost luggage for our September trip.  If not I guess I can buy a new, smaller folding pair.   Thanks for any help.

I took mine with my carryon underseat bag without any issue-just placed them in the overhead.  I don’t think I would try to check them if they aren’t completely enclosed though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, I wouldn’t try to check them with part sticking out.  My point is that I don’t want to check them at all.  So are you saying that you just walked on board with them in your hand and then put them up above?  I was thinking they might have to be IN something, like a backpack, although the handles would stick out a bit.  

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

No, I wouldn’t try to check them with part sticking out.  My point is that I don’t want to check them at all.  So are you saying that you just walked on board with them in your hand and then put them up above?  I was thinking they might have to be IN something, like a backpack, although the handles would stick out a bit.  

Correct.  I had them bundled together (using little hair bands I used to use when I had long hair to make my pony tail). If all else fails simply open them up and use them like a cane.  I doubt any airline would say a word since that would be against the ADA. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

DW uses her sticks right onto the plane. At the seat, while I lift the bags up to the lockers, she shortens her sticks. I then place them individually in the locker, ensuring they won't fall out when it is opened.

Used this many times, without issue.

Note - we only fly First or Business, so no experience in Economy.

7 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

DW uses her sticks right onto the plane. At the seat, while I lift the bags up to the lockers, she shortens her sticks. I then place them individually in the locker, ensuring they won't fall out when it is opened.

Used this many times, without issue.

Note - we only fly First or Business, so no experience in Economy.

Same works in economy. 

• Like 1

Thank you both.  We fly business/first, so have dedicated space above.  I had simply never thought of doing this before.  But we want to do some hiking in the Italian lakes, and I can’t do that without my sticks.  So I don’t want them lost or delayed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I brought hiking poles on our 2021 Viking TA and checked the TSA's web site.  They say hiking poles aren't allowed in carryon luggage, so I put mine in our checked bag.  It also says the final decision is left with the TSA agent so he or she may have considered them as mobility aids instead of sporting equipment.

Hiking Poles | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov)

On 7/19/2022 at 11:41 AM, Clay Clayton said:

WhooHoo! 100 Days and we got Viking to move us from our Deck 6 port side DV2 to a DV1 facing the wake 😊

Now if they just won’t cancel🤞

0862748E-D6F1-4A0E-94AE-D93FC0DBE5F6.jpeg

2178E40B-B9D6-47CC-8499-E0EC20FBD7F2.jpeg

Barcelona to FtLauderdale - same cabin in December 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JeriGail said:

I brought hiking poles on our 2021 Viking TA and checked the TSA's web site.  They say hiking poles aren't allowed in carryon luggage, so I put mine in our checked bag.  It also says the final decision is left with the TSA agent so he or she may have considered them as mobility aids instead of sporting equipment.

Hiking Poles | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov)

Thank you.  I looked this up too, but only found canes, which are accepted.  So I don’t know.  I guess I will limp up on my hiking sticks and hope they will accept them.. I’m old enough that they probably won’t question me!  Ha!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you.  I looked this up too, but only found canes, which are accepted.  So I don’t know.  I guess I will limp up on my hiking sticks and hope they will accept them.. I’m old enough that they probably won’t question me!  Ha!!

LOL.  I was thinking if we are 40 or 50 years old they are trekking poles.  If we are 65+ they are walking aids.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4