Lockdown survival tips....

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Many more down here we have just about every Asian type of restaurant, along with some European country cuisines as well, although they do not tend to takeaway (stay true to the dish) as well as the Asian dishes.

You have a fine array of restaurants in NATCAP Mic.  We have a tried a couple.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

What we need here is Uber Eats, might start a franchise.

Have you looked at MenuLog? They tend to have a wider reach than UberEats. Also check out Deliveroo. There is also DoorDash but I think they are a lot smaller. I guess if all else fails you could use AirTasker and and pay someone to pick up food for you though chances are there will be price surging.

5 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Have you looked at MenuLog? They tend to have a wider reach than UberEats. Also check out Deliveroo. There is also DoorDash but I think they are a lot smaller. I guess if all else fails you could use AirTasker and and pay someone to pick up food for you though chances are there will be price surging.

Batemans Bay is in a time warp in more ways than one , I doubt we have those delivery services, but will check.  We are moving on though, Dan Murphy's opens next week - Beer is food. !!

NB, we have just recently got colour TV and mobile phones.🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Some great ideas.

Order some takeaway to be delivered, Chinese, Indian, Turkish, etc. not only does it protect your food stocks at home, it gives you a treat and helps supports a local restaurant. We are doing this once a week at the moment which is twice  or three times as often as previously.

LOL how is that a lock down!!  No takeaways in NZ - I did a big order from my favourite Indian before the deadline and have several frozen meals.  

Just made muffins for the first time in years - missing my cafe fix - had to freeze most of them otherwise I'd just eat them 

3 minutes ago, lissie said:

LOL how is that a lock down!!  No takeaways in NZ - I did a big order from my favourite Indian before the deadline and have several frozen meals.  

Just made muffins for the first time in years - missing my cafe fix - had to freeze most of them otherwise I'd just eat them 

I have discovered muffins again .Just made some apple and cinnamon....and how about date loaf .....easy peasy.🧑‍🍳

• Like 1

It's really difficult to talk about take out and delivery with such a diverse group as on here, Some are from small villages and some from metropolis's. Greater Victoria comprises 13 different municipalities and about 370,000 people. We are a tourist town so there are many Restaurants and they are hurting so we want to help a bit. I'm sure some have small mom & pop operations that will go under without some patronage. Help them out if you can and just use some food safe practices.

13 minutes ago, lissie said:

Are your Meals on Wheels Services' still operating in local areas ?  I do a couple of days with our Meals on Wheels (frozen meal service) in the Eurobodalla Shire as a Director on the Board and Coordinator locally.  Now we ring the client we are there and drop and run, if they don't emerge and pick up their meals within 5 minutes we pick the bag up and return it to our industrial freezer.  We have to change with the times. No more door knocking, or a chat and putting the meals in their freezers.  We have 200 clients dependent on the service to eat, vulnerable people.   

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Batemans Bay is in a time warp in more ways than one , I doubt we have those delivery services, but will check.  We are moving on though, Dan Murphy's opens next week - Beer is food. !!

I wonder how long it will be before the bottle shops will be forced to close. When I mentioned that to one of my sons yesterday, he said he'd better go along to Dan's for supplies. I asked for two casks while he was there. He commented that stocks were low on several items. My two casks were duly delivered with social distancing in place of course.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's really difficult to talk about take out and delivery with such a diverse group as on here, Some are from small villages and some from metropolis's. Greater Victoria comprises 13 different municipalities and about 370,000 people. We are a tourist town so there are many Restaurants and they are hurting so we want to help a bit. I'm sure some have small mom & pop operations that will go under without some patronage. Help them out if you can and just use some food safe practices.

The government is spending billions on a wage/business package of about  $525/week for 12 weeks for affected people (not just employees ).  I also bought some gift cards at my local Indian before it closed . 

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I wonder how long it will be before the bottle shops will be forced to close. When I mentioned that to one of my sons yesterday, he said he'd better go along to Dan's for supplies. I asked for two casks while he was there. He commented that stocks were low on several items. My two casks were duly delivered with social distancing in place of course.

Thanks goodness you got your Chateau Cardboard x 2.    I buy the De Bortoli Premium 4 litre ones now and again when on special, the Sem Chard and Cab Merlot are quite quaffable.  Some of the casks are undrinkable - well almost.  I have a couple of dozen bottles of assorted quaffing wines, they will do me until Uncle Dan's opens in a week or so. 

I wish we could buy these here, sold in UK 1.5 litre  plastic bottles, drinkable and cheap.2109143369_th(3).jpg.3df18e6fb666c0042b09b2fcb5921b91.jpg

Edited by NSWP

When I was talking to our 'other son' on the phone this morning, he commented that they had a 'bit much to drink last night'😉. In a spontaneous street party, he and some of his neighbours set up chairs on the footpath, with each couple at least the requisite distance from the next couple😁. It is a quiet street: my son and DIL have been moving into their new house in the last couple of weeks so it was a way to meet the neighbours.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

When I was talking to our 'other son' on the phone this morning, he commented that they had a 'bit much to drink last night'😉. In a spontaneous street party, he and some of his neighbours set up chairs on the footpath, with each couple at least the requisite distance from the next couple😁. It is a quiet street: my son and DIL have been moving into their new house in the last couple of weeks so it was a way to meet the neighbours.

As long as they each had their own bowls of peanuts, Smiths Crisps and Jatz Crackers with a bit of this to accompany..CB_Range.jpg.994183589324acbbdfea549411db9927.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

Thanks goodness you got your Chateau Cardboard x 2.    I buy the De Bortoli Premium 4 litre ones now and again when on special, the Sem Chard and Cab Merlot are quite quaffable.  Some of the casks are undrinkable - well almost.  I have a couple of dozen bottles of assorted quaffing wines, they will do me until Uncle Dan's opens in a week or so. 

I wish we could buy these here, sold in UK 1.25 litre  plastic bottles, drinkable and cheap.2109143369_th(3).jpg.3df18e6fb666c0042b09b2fcb5921b91.jpg

I have tried lots of different wines 😁 over a period of time and currently favour the Berri Estates 5 litre cask, Fresh Dry White, two casks for $29.50 at Dan's.🙂 I remember travelling in Europe in a motorhome when we would buy wine in 1 llitre cardboard boxes like milk cartons. In Italy we were paying the equivalent of 75 cents a litre. The problem was that we would buy a few litres but didn't want to buy too much in case it wasn't good. By the time we could try it and decide it was quite OK, we had moved on and couldn't find the same wine again. Ah, the fun of travelling in the old days. Not now. ☹️

32 minutes ago, lissie said:

We don't have a total lockdown here in Oz. It will come, sooner rather than later. 

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

The government is spending billions on a wage/business package of about  $525/week for 12 weeks for affected people (not just employees ).  I also bought some gift cards at my local Indian before it closed . 

Our government is doing the same but $525.00 a week isn't much, That's about 2 days pay for most tradesmen.

Today we should have been on the first day of our family holiday at Sunshine Beach. Our daughter emailed photos taken five years ago exactly of the eldest three (5, 4 and 1 at the time) playing. We were all looking forward to this holiday, and are now hoping that the health situation will be OK by December - the date we have moved the holiday to. In the intervening five years, two more grand daughters have arrived.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our government is doing the same but $525.00 a week isn't much, That's about 2 days pay for most tradesmen.

$525 would be about 1 days pay for some greedy 'tradies' like plumbers, sparkies etc over here.  They want $70 call fee and $50 to $70 an hour minimum.  Rogues want cash too, I give them a cheque so it goes through their books and they have to pay tax.👮‍♂️

Edited by NSWP

Our son is trying to keep his small business going. He has around 40 staff. He is keeping them informed of their plans - everyone who can work from home does so, the others work in small teams to reduce the possible spread of the virus, and if necessary, they reduce working hours so everyone keeps a job, even if reduced.

Indeed but 

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

$525 would be about 1 days pay for some greedy 'tradies' like plumbers, sparkies etc over here.  They want $70 call fee and $50 an hour minimum.  Rogues want cash too, I give them a cheque so it goes through their books and they have to pay tax.👮‍♂️

Sort of different situation, I work in a Cabinet shop (journeyman Joiner) what me boss pays me and what he charges for me are 2 different things. We  do custom cabinets and millwork for high end homes $100,000.00 is not uncommon for a kitchen.

22 minutes ago, lissie said:

I am getting that $525 a week along with the NZ pension, which surprised me getting both,

By not going to work my costs  are just about nil  Used to spend $150 to $200 a week on petrol trying to get through Aucklands parking lot on the motorways, so I am reasonably happy. I feel sorry for the people who are struggling even before all this virus happened

4 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

I am getting that $525 a week along with the NZ pension, which surprised me getting both,

By not going to work my costs  are just about nil  Used to spend $150 to $200 a week on petrol trying to get through Aucklands parking lot on the motorways, so I am reasonably happy. I feel sorry for the people who are struggling even before all this virus happened

Don't get me started on aged pensions, means tested here, no automatic right to an aged pension.  I am a self funded retiree, paid into State Super for 36 years,  no government aged pension for us.  I know all you Kiwis get it, like the Brits and the Americans.😬  I would move to NZ, but too cold, too much rain and too many earthquakes.!!

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1