Lockdown survival tips....

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Don't get me started on aged pensions, means tested here, no automatic right to an aged pension.  I am a self funded retiree, paid into State Super for 36 years,  no government aged pension for us.  I know all you Kiwis get it, like the Brits and the Americans.😬

Agreed. We are in the same situation as you.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. We are in the same situation as you.

Yes, and we paid taxes for 40 yrs.  We are no millionaires either.🤢  We have travelled on a few P&O UK ships and when you tell the Brits re our pension scheme, no automatic right to it, they are aghast and choke on their G&T's or black pudding.  Everyone in UK on reaching pension age gets the age pension or state pension they call it, even HM The Queen and Charlie boy with their zillions of quid.

Now don't call Uncle Les a 'whinger' just stating the facts.😬

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We are doing Woolworths Home Delivery now, had to register as 'vulnerable people.'  Well we both are.  First order was free and after that very reasonable charges.

Beats the scrum down at local Woolies.  Coles down here don't do home delivery.  What we need here is Uber Eats, might start a franchise.

Good work. and keep  your home deliveries as well

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Batemans Bay is in a time warp in more ways than one , I doubt we have those delivery services, but will check.  We are moving on though, Dan Murphy's opens next week - Beer is food. !!

NB, we have just recently got colour TV and mobile phones.🤣

Are you eligible for Meals on wheels perhaps? I know a delivery guy down that way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

when you tell the Brits re our pension scheme, no automatic right to it, they are aghast and choke on their G&T's or black pudding.  

Pension is a few years off for me but I would choke on black pudding without mention of pensions and G&T definitely would not be my cocktail of choice. Silly Brits.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Are you eligible for Meals on wheels perhaps? I know a delivery guy down that way.

😆😆 Ah So, that Chinese bloke.😂 I could be rude, but this is a family programme.

Edited by NSWP

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our government is doing the same but $525.00 a week isn't much, That's about 2 days pay for most tradesmen.

It is a safety net type payment rather than a replacement of wages. just to help people get by.

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Don't get me started on aged pensions, means tested here, no automatic right to an aged pension.  I am a self funded retiree, paid into State Super for 36 years,  no government aged pension for us.  I know all you Kiwis get it, like the Brits and the Americans.😬  I would move to NZ, but too cold, too much rain and too many earthquakes.!!

You only have to live there for 10 years  (5 of which at working age) and you would have qualified as well.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a safety net type payment rather than a replacement of wages. just to help people get by.

Yes It’s a subsidy with the employer making up the rest .....so he doesn’t have to lay anyone off .........in the mean time . .....We will see how long it goes on for .

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The way I understood it was to stop people being laid off. Must be paid to the workers

Kiwi Kruzer and I typing at the same time

Edited by Thecat123

We have similar programs in Canada, we have some younger guys at my shop who this will help immensely. I'm staying home right now because my wife is going for some delicate surgery on Wednesday. I will go back to work when she goes into hospital. We are able to social distance very well, my bench is quite isolated from others and nobody get too close when operating machinery. For those who need a helping hand it is something. I'm using my vacation pay that I was saving for my down under adventure next year. Oh well that is later this is now.

Edited by Blackduck59
clarified a sentence

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes, and we paid taxes for 40 yrs.  We are no millionaires either.🤢  We have travelled on a few P&O UK ships and when you tell the Brits re our pension scheme, no automatic right to it, they are aghast and choke on their G&T's or black pudding.  Everyone in UK on reaching pension age gets the age pension or state pension they call it, even HM The Queen and Charlie boy with their zillions of quid.

Got another 15 years on you Uncle Les of working and still paying taxes and still not a millionaire either but do cruise with Seabourn these days. Well while I am working

😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Don't get me started on aged pensions, means tested here, no automatic right to an aged pension.  I am a self funded retiree, paid into State Super for 36 years,  no government aged pension for us.  I know all you Kiwis get it, like the Brits and the Americans.😬  I would move to NZ, but too cold, too much rain and too many earthquakes.!!

And volcanoes.😲

2 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

The way I understood it was to stop people being laid off. Must be paid to the workers

Kiwi Kruzer and I typing at the same time

Two different things. The $525 is a fortnightly supplement to the unemployed allowance which is below the poverty line, as another alluded to. So this isn't for workers.

Britain (and a few other countries) introduced a wage replacement for those workers whose work shutdown but are still employees for when the business restarts. Australia is looking at this and likely to announce something in the next few days. (This is 80% of pay with a cap).

Well I am self employed and I got paid as I am not essential so therefore I can not work and also over 70 which they want us to stay home as we are more likely to catch the virus

Found out the other day if work is needed in rest homes or hospitals etc I can go and work then I would lose that $525 a week which is fine with me as it would get me out of the house

Just had to give them my Inland Revenue number

Part from the site of which are many parts

Paying your staff

If you are receiving the COVID-19 Wage Subsidy, you must try your hardest to pay the employee named in your application, at least 80% of their usual wages. If that isn’t possible, you need to pay at least the subsidy rate (ie, full-time or part-time).

If your employee's usual wages are less than the subsidy, you must pay them their usual wages. Any difference should be used for the wages of other affected staff - the wage subsidy is designed to keep your employees connected to you.

Visit the Employment NZ website for information about employment law.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Agree

We are also the same

12 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Apparently one of my posts has caused some upset, for that I apologize.

No worries, most of us in OZ have thick skins and not too many 'snowflakes.'  I enjoy your input.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1