Americans, how long until you received your refund?

sbd78

I’m in the US and had a 3/21 Caribbean cruise on the Seaside cancelled. I requested the full refund and it is pending on my credit card as of today!!  So maybe 60 days will be accurate for you all too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good news...finally!  My final payment amount is now showing as "pending" credit on my cc account!  Filed for refund back on March 14th for an April 11th cruise. Yeah!  My initial deposit (different cc) is not showing, yet.  But, this is progress.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

I have some good news.  I have a pending credit showing on my CC account.  The credit is for my final payment on my 3/22/20 cruise that was cancelled.  The credit is for the correct amount of my final payment that was made in early January.  I did make my initial payment 14 months ago on a different credit card.  That credit has not shown up ($198).

This certainly is a step in the right direction and hopefully those with cruises cancelled in mid-late March will start seeing refunds.

Follow up - my initial deposit credit has been posted to my CC.  I have now received my entire refund for my 3/22/20 cruise that I applied for refund on 3/15/20.   My total refund came 66 days from application for those who want to get an idea of what to expect.

I can stop posting on this topic now.  Good luck to all and I hope everyone gets what they asked for (refund or FCC) soon.  I can now put MSC back on the list of where to look for future cruises.  Now if they can spice up their Caribbean itineraries.  I really want to get to OC.

• Like 2

Rob-Bob, good news, I have my FCCs but am waiting for taxes to be returned to my credit card and a non-COVID19 cancellation deposit returned, as I too want to “put MSC back on list of where to look for future cruises” but want $ returned first, do not want to tie up any more vacation dollars. 

• Like 1

Hey Rob, thx for your refund report, and happy sailing. You too Tara619. PSMarkle you are the first to get a refund for a sailing date after March, a very nice sign for us post-March cruisers. Is it time to get hopeful?

• Like 1

Well it's 67 days, today since cancellation, of my 3/29/20 cruise. I was hopeful last week as I received credit from all my          pre-paids. Still nothing else. Spoke to CC company yesterday, and was told I would probably get the refund quicker if I waited for the cruise line to pay VS doing a charge back through the bank, but they have extended the time frame for a charge back in case I wanted to do one in the future. I will wait until 5/29 as that will be 60 days from cruise date. I have a copy of all emails from MSC and each one stated "WITHIN" 60 days.  Rationally I know they have to pay back money eventually  to customers or they would be in trouble, but this is still causing all of us so much stress. When all that was needed was honesty from the beginning  as too how long it will actually take for refunds, instead of all these agents telling so many different "stories:   I'm hopeful though as people on the 3/22 cruise are starting to get paid back! Maybe soon for us too!

My sister in law just received this from the Feb. 23/20 Meraviglia cruise. It seems like the money is starting to flow. 

Date: May 20, 2020 at 2:21:51 PM EDT
To: 
Subject: RE: Re:  35331635 [SR Number: 2-13386482438]

Hello,

Sorry we are unable to resend as the email was sent from corporate.  Refunds on that sailing will start going out on May 20,2020 for this sailing.

Sincerely,

Scott Surace
MSC Cruise USA

[THREAD ID:2-65DYRY6]

Hi,

I requested a refund for my deposit for 3 cabins on 3/23.  Was told 10-15 days, then told 30 days, then told 60 day.  60 days brought mt to this past Monday.  When I called they said it's being processed and give a few more days.  Called again and got the bad news, refunds are coming 60 days after date of sailing.  In my case we were on a cruise out of Venice scheduled for July 3rd.  They expect me to wait until September?  Time to call the credit card company.  Sorry MSC

• Like 2

Happy to report that all the appropriate refunds showed up on my credit card today! It was for pre-paid items, port fees, etc. This was for a cruise that was canceled for sail date 3-15, and for which I completed the refund survey on 3-30. So more than 60 calendar days from the cruise days, but less than 60 calendar days from when I completed my survey. (We had previously canceled around 3-12, but that was for 100% cruise credit, and I filled out a new request on 3-30 when they offered 125% cruise credit.)

• Like 2

My cruise on the MSC Seaside was cancelled in March. I was suppose to sail on the April 18, 2020 sailing.

As of May 21, 2020, I have not received my refund. I did request the refund instead of the 125% credit. 

We had 26 people traveling on the Armonia 4/26, that was canceled by MSC on 3/17.  I submitted my form for a refund that day. 2 couples in our group received their refunds on Tuesday, one Of which filed after me.  The rest of us are waiting. There is no method to how these are being refunded!

2 hours ago, NameThatFunnel said:

Well, I just got the bad news that my refund request (supposedly submitted March 22) for my March 21st cruise was never received. I was told to submit a new form today, this is not right. Trying to escalate this up the chain.

You are the third or fourth person to report that here.  Only about the same number have now gotten refunds.

Unacceptable.

• Like 1

I cancelled my 5/30/2020 Seaside cruise on 3/19/2020 and received my refund on my AMEX card today. On the day I cancelled, they told me if would be 10-14 days.  They shorted me some of the funds because they charged me $600 in cancellation fees even though I cancelled within the 89-61 days so they only should have kept my NR deposit ($99).  Not complaining, mind you, and glad I at least got the majority of my $2700 back.  I have called 3-4 times since I realized when I got the cancellation notice that they were charging the fees inappropriately to no avail and will continue to fight to get my additional ~$500 back but if I lose it, que sera sera.  Hopefully everyone starts seeing some progress on their refunds very soon. 

• Like 1

We had a med cruise booked for mid March. I called the week before (the day the dept. Of state said not to travel to italy) it was announced to be officially cancelled and had our TA ask to move our cruise to a later date (I read people here and on fb were successful moving their cruise with no penalty) msc let us move the cruise to October med and said they would transfer the money within 3 days. In June I would have to pay the difference at final payment. 3 days later I had a full refund in my bank account 🙃. I know I am very fortunate in this situation. Now fighting with swiss airlines is a different story. They have yet to refund me from march when they cancelled our flighrs and says they have no idea when they can 🙁

Edited by floridian1
  • Like 1

FYI - We cancelled our June 27th cruise on March 19th. Called yesterday to get an update on the refund and was told they were originally telling people 60 days but have pushed it back to 70 to 75 days. The rep also told me that they are only sending refunds on Monday and Tuesday of each week. He said it would depend on my bank when I get it after that, but they only process them Monday and Tuesday. It is really something different each time someone calls. 

• Like 1

Hey refund buds, I called my Visa card a week ago to get their advice on what to do with MSC dragging their refund feet. They said they allow vendors about 20-30 days max to process refunds, and my April 2 refund confirmation was well overdue. (BTW sailing date was Sept 2020). They said they would investigate this with MSC, and today a full chargeback credit was on my card. I wonder if they had as much trouble dealing with MSC as we've all had, and just went with the chargeback.

A bit of a footnote for Caledonia and Catamo, the other Canucks, here, I booked thru a USA TA like Caledonia did, which showed up on the MSC USA site, but later MSC transferred the booking to MSC Canada, who were just as confusing to deal with as the USA office. I don't know which MSC office Visa ended up trying to deal with.

So y'all are invited up to the Observation Lounge at 5 today, we're buying everyone a round with this refund money, and the one with the most exasperating, frustrating, confusing story gets unlimited drinks. There may be a few of those.

Good luck everyone, happy sailing.

-Bob7

• Like 2

Like others reported, our cancelled trip showed back up on the revamped website and is now gone again.  Been checking card and still no refund but we filed a few days later than the lucky few who have recently seen refunds.

@Bob7 It is now day 84 since we got off the boat and day 88 since we were given our letter of refund by the captain. Not so much as an email from MSC or Sunwing. I know that MSC has given the money to Sunwing, the Canadian tour operator, more than 2 weeks ago. When I call Sunwing, they don't even know what department to put me through to.They are nice, polite and empathetic but they just can't help.  

I found the CEO, President and VP of Customer Relations emails. I emailed them all over a week ago and nothing. One of the funniest things was that the head of customer relations email kicked back saying that it would only receive emails from other Sunwing employees. I guess they really don't care about their customers after all. What a surprise.

It will be a frosty day in Hell before I deal with Sunwing again. 

Good luck all

Caledonia boy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bob7 said:

Hey refund buds, I called my Visa card a week ago to get their advice on what to do with MSC dragging their refund feet. They said they allow vendors about 20-30 days max to process refunds, and my April 2 refund confirmation was well overdue. (BTW sailing date was Sept 2020). They said they would investigate this with MSC, and today a full chargeback credit was on my card. I wonder if they had as much trouble dealing with MSC as we've all had, and just went with the chargeback.

A bit of a footnote for Caledonia and Catamo, the other Canucks, here, I booked thru a USA TA like Caledonia did, which showed up on the MSC USA site, but later MSC transferred the booking to MSC Canada, who were just as confusing to deal with as the USA office. I don't know which MSC office Visa ended up trying to deal with.

So y'all are invited up to the Observation Lounge at 5 today, we're buying everyone a round with this refund money, and the one with the most exasperating, frustrating, confusing story gets unlimited drinks. There may be a few of those.

Good luck everyone, happy sailing.

-Bob7

Congrats, as mentioned before we cancelled and got the standard confirmation for the refund on 16 March.  So, as of this Monday, it will be 70 calendar days and 50 business days.  Assuming the latest post is accurate that they only process refunds on Monday and Tuesday, then we will be giving them till Wednesday for refund to show up.  Otherwise, my patience is done.  I know that I have been more than fair so I don't have any regrets on contacting Visa for a chargeback.  Let them deal with MSC instead of them holding onto my money.  Sorry MSC but fair is fair; it goes both ways.