Post Corona, will every ship still sail?

7 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Woo hoo, here is to pessimism! Alright, good for you. 

Everyone forget it, this industry is dead. Carnival, Royal, NCL are out of business. The ships will be sunk to the bottom of the ocean to be a an artificial reef. I don't time for people like you. I truly don't. 

Seriously, might as well smelt all the airplanes into soda cans, turn all the theme parks into wildlife preserves and tear down all the malls...wait, that's already happening...because clearly, everyone is super looking forward to spending the rest of their lives at home, staying 6 ft away from each other...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

This is all to true.  All airline employees are at extreme risk of exposure.  A Miami baggage handler passed away yesterday.  We may all be more at risk going to or from a cruise.  The same is true with crew.  More crew members may feel whatever jobs they can find at home will be better than the risks posed from working on a ship.  So many variables will be in play when things ramp up again.

Yes...agree.  For those of us who will have to fly into any of the cruise terminals...a double whammy...first a risk of contacting the virus during the flight, then perhaps on board.  All we can do is sigh...

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Had a grand time😇

So did we.  Last few years we've done 3 7-night cruises each winter.  Recently we did 6 weeks on 3 ships January-March.  Glad we did, likely the last for some time.  And even when it returns, might never really be the same.

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Seriously, might as well smelt all the airplanes into soda cans, turn all the theme parks into wildlife preserves and tear down all the malls...wait, that's already happening...because clearly, everyone is super looking forward to spending the rest of their lives at home, staying 6 ft away from each other...

I've heard people say that they won't cruise or go to a sporting event or any event until there is a vaccine.   Problem is that a vaccine is 18 months away from being produced.   Then you have to figure that everyone in North America will demand it and that would require 350 MILLION doses.

I would imagine it would be years before everyone was vaccinated.

Someone on another thread said that the solution would be to test all people before they get on a cruise.   To test 3500 people waiting to get on a ship would  be impossible, the new rapid test that they have developed still takes 30 minutes to get a result.    

Then you would have to test everyone again after each port stop

Forget vaccines and testing,  it's going to be about a lot fewer people sailing and everyone taking precautions like no shaking hands, washing hands continually and no one with what appears to have a cold would be allowed to board.

Edited by M&A
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, M&A said:

I've heard people say that they won't cruise or go to a sporting event or any event until there is a vaccine.   Problem is that a vaccine is 18 months away from being produced.   Then you have to figure that everyone in North America will demand it and that would require 350 MILLION doses.

I would imagine it would be years before everyone was vaccinated.

Someone on another thread said that the solution would be to test all people before they get on a cruise.   To test 3500 people waiting to get on a ship would  be impossible, the new rapid test that they have developed still takes 30 minutes to get a result.    

Forget vaccines and testing,  it's going to be about a lot fewer people sailing and everyone taking precautions like no shaking hands, washing hands continually and no one with what appears to have a cold would be allowed to board.

Good points.

And let's remember that 12 to 18 months is an optimistic timeline ... there is zero guarantee of this. (At least not by scientists, researchers and medical professionals. Predictions from the Fox News crowd mean nothing at all)

And the demand wouldn't just be domestic. More than 7 billion people on the planet are going to want it - and their governments will want it so their societies, too, can reopen. 

And there's no promise of a vaccine's effectiveness rate. 

It's easy to understand the anxious, restless desire to get this whole nightmare behind us. But that won't change the trajectory of this thing at all. Forced, groundless optimism s all about feelings, not facts; and that's dangerous at this time in history. 

• Like 1

1. Irrelevant.  Europe.

2. This can be and adjustment, sure.

3. Perhaps, easy to do with a comparably small population.  Density is also a factor.  The US has handled this very well...Europe.

And that’s number 4. I do not mean this personally. I have seen this from a lot of Americans the past couple months. Denial and a baseless view that the US has or will handle this well. Every presumption I’ve heard that’s been put forward about how the US would be able to take care of this problem better than others has been proven false.

Italy and Spain are basically poor compared to the US. From a resource comparison the US should be handling this exceptionally well. But the opposite is happening. The US is on track to become one of if not the country hardest hit by the virus. And it’s not happening by accident. Literally breaks my heart watching this but it is what it is. Wishing everyone all the best.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, M&A said:

Next summer, the 'experts' will be bleating on about how too few people are getting the vaccine.  We hear the same with the flu every year, a vaccine that is no where near 100% effective and kind of a crap shoot.

15 minutes ago, trajan said:

And that’s number 4. I do not mean this personally. I have seen this from a lot of Americans the past couple months. Denial and a baseless view that the US has or will handle this well. Every presumption I’ve heard that’s been put forward about how the US would be able to take care of this problem better than others has been proven false.

Italy and Spain are basically poor compared to the US. From a resource comparison the US should be handling this exceptionally well. But the opposite is happening. The US is on track to become one of if not the country hardest hit by the virus. And it’s not happening by accident. Literally breaks my heart watching this but it is what it is. Wishing everyone all the best.

Oh dear...no.  Sorry, but no.

The US isn't even in the top 10 for mortality and if the 'curve' is flattening, we'll stay in good shape.  Now, yes, we should be showing a lot better and there's plenty of blame to share between...wait for it, the Governor and Mayor of the New York State and City.

Noteworthy fact, Canada and California have nearly equal mortality.  UHC?

Please go ahead and stitch your heart back together, we're good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

So did we.  Last few years we've done 3 7-night cruises each winter.  Recently we did 6 weeks on 3 ships January-March.  Glad we did, likely the last for some time.  And even when it returns, might never really be the same.

That thought has crossed my mind a lot. It makes me wonder if the product is something that I will still be passionate about when it comes out the other side of this. I also don't know what I would replace it with. Cruising serves a purpose for me that I haven't found with any other type of vacation.

27 minutes ago, boatseller said:

The US isn't even in the top 10 for mortality and if the 'curve' is flattening, we'll stay in good shape.  Now, yes, we should be showing a lot better and there's plenty of blame to share between...wait for it, the Governor and Mayor of the New York State and City.

And the people have no culpability in this mess, especially in the U.S.? According to all the experts social distancing is the answer, at least short term. From what I see, it's just a suggestion, and some people are treating it as such. The counties that appear to be turning the corner reacted fast, hard, and decisive, not us. 

The worse thing the governments can do is succumb to the pressure and open things up to early. Listen to the experts and try to get things back to near normal, whatever time it takes. 

48 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Personally, I'm not sure the ship will finish on time 

thanks

Yep it will be awfully close.

My bigger concern would be Royal having to sell it to some Saudi prince to preserve cash flow! 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, boatseller said:

Yes I hear ya. I mean the people on this board and in this thread in particular can't see two feet in front of them. If you go by the scientific data, and we do the right thing, by June 12th its expected to be between 0-12 deaths per day. Still sad but at that point, less panic and the demand on the heath care system is back in line. This is bad, this is a bad virus and its deadly to a lot of people. Its not to be taken lightly but we will get a handle on it and it will subside. Hopefully we don't get a really bad second wave next fall/winter. At some point we will have a very effective treatment or vaccine. 

• Like 1

That's right,  look at Florida,  millions from all over the world come to Florida in Feb/March to go on cruise ships,  visit Disney and just come to the beaches.    Also it has the highest percentage of retired/elderly people anywhere,  you would've thought that their death rate would be much higher but  only 354 right now.      The population of Florida 21 MILLION,  15,883 cases,  the province of Quebec with only 6 million people has 500 deaths and 20,000 cases.

What are they doing right in Florida?   what happened in Quebec?

Edited by M&A
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That same data seems to suggest, to this point, that much more mild restrictions on people, like in Sweden, doesn't have a sizable increase in the curve, it could very well speed herd immunity and have a much lesser impact on entire economies.

https://time.com/5817412/sweden-coronavirus/

15 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Please Lord, the people on these forums have to educate themselves. Check the country as a whole or state by state. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Thank you for the info.   I do understand that the data might be a little high or little low.  Either way, it is not worth the risk of getting anywhere near a port or ship.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

Thank you for the info.   I do understand that the data might be a little high or little low.  Either way, it is not worth the risk of getting anywhere near a port or ship.

If they are open, and sailing on Sept 6th I will be there. Everyone has their own mind to make up and I respect that.