Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

OMG.... If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it..... Bucky actually wears something other than sandles/flip-flops ? ? ? ? ? 🤣😂😀 LOL

Shocking indeed!  😄 

It was very chilly yesterday afternoon when a front moved in off the ocean...around mid 50s...it finally gets him to pull out "real shoes"...though they are still a light fabric sneaker/hiking shoe.  😉 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks...it was delicious!  😄 

LOL...we are pretty much in a very remote and unpopulated area up here.  It's a mile just to the county road down this single lane gravel road.  Then at least 45 minutes to any kind of small grocery.  Over an hour to "Wally World" in Ellsworth outside of Bar Harbor area.  That is the every two week stock up.  😉 

Maybe you can get drone deliveries????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So far so good.  Besides going to a neat little place for dinner call the The Trading Post.  All I have done so far is sit in my chair outside and watched the fun.  I've messed my knee up  again kind of badly and have been limping around for two weeks.  Tomorrow I'm going to try and ride my bike a bit while the rest Kayak.  We'll see how it goes.  

Feel better!

Lovely cabin pictures.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yesterday was NOT a routine day, it was a very good day.  Micheline is an ovarian cancer survivor who has been in remission for 3 years. She has checkups and gets blood tests done every 6 months.  The couple of days before blood test day are stressful for her, with the lingering fear that the bloodwork will show that the cancer is back.  Once again though, everything came back completely clean.  We're good for another 6 months!  After 5 years, she goes to annual checks instead of 6 months.  We have a friend who is a breast cancer survivor for more than 10 years.  She said that annual check fear diminishes but never goes away.  I'm sure that some of you can relate.

There was an extra bit of tension this time.  All test results (for any medical tests) are posted online as soon as they are available.  This is great because it reduces the amount of time that you need to wait to get the results (although also means that you will probably see the results before your doctor).  For ovarian cancer, the key blood test is called a CA-125 test.  A few hours after getting blood drawn, she'll get a text message that her results are ready and she'll log in to see the results.  When she logged in this time, they had posted basic metabolic panel test results, but no CA-125 results.  Someone had ordered the wrong test.  They quickly corrected this when she saw her oncologist yesterday, but it meant another day of waiting.  😡 

I started a tradition a couple of years ago where I have a bottle of champagne chilling in the fridge.  When we get the positive results, we pop the champagne.  🥂

Fantastic news!!  Indeed huge cause for celebration!  Congrats on the clean bill of health..and hope it continues to shine!!  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yesterday was quite eventful while I was on the beach there was a report of a possible paraglider or guy with jet pack drown.  Search and rescue by township, lifeguards, coast guard, local police and state police spent about 3 hrs searching and found nothing.  The rumor now is it was a false alarm.

Our Son blew out a tire on rt 206 on his way here and didnt get here till 630 so we didnt get to do our blue claw crab feast yet as the blue claw store sold out.  Expect a new shipment today, so hopefully tonight we will be eating those delicious steamed crabs.

Mmmm...steamed crabs...more delicious crustaceans!  😋

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yesterday was NOT a routine day, it was a very good day.  Micheline is an ovarian cancer survivor who has been in remission for 3 years. She has checkups and gets blood tests done every 6 months.  The couple of days before blood test day are stressful for her, with the lingering fear that the bloodwork will show that the cancer is back.  Once again though, everything came back completely clean.  We're good for another 6 months!  After 5 years, she goes to annual checks instead of 6 months.  We have a friend who is a breast cancer survivor for more than 10 years.  She said that annual check fear diminishes but never goes away.  I'm sure that some of you can relate.

There was an extra bit of tension this time.  All test results (for any medical tests) are posted online as soon as they are available.  This is great because it reduces the amount of time that you need to wait to get the results (although also means that you will probably see the results before your doctor).  For ovarian cancer, the key blood test is called a CA-125 test.  A few hours after getting blood drawn, she'll get a text message that her results are ready and she'll log in to see the results.  When she logged in this time, they had posted basic metabolic panel test results, but no CA-125 results.  Someone had ordered the wrong test.  They quickly corrected this when she saw her oncologist yesterday, but it meant another day of waiting.  😡 

I started a tradition a couple of years ago where I have a bottle of champagne chilling in the fridge.  When we get the positive results, we pop the champagne.  🥂

Very happy to hear about Micheline.🥂

The worst wait is the wait for medical test results.

15 hours ago, singinalot said:

I just uploaded the second video from Saturday’s trip for those that are interested:

Great video and fascinating story. Well done Crystal. I love the drone shots. Curious do you have your drone license? Does anyone hassle you about it?

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

I checked on Amazon...they couldn't find the address.  😄 

My BIL lives in NH.  First time we went to visit, my GPS took me to where his road started, and announced we had arrived.   Figured out that the data base did not have the numbers. Got you close, but you were on your own after that. When we found it, we put a waypoint in the GPS,  no problems after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Cancer therapy has advanced through many hurdles, and treatments have advanced quality of life for many.  

Sorry to hear about your brother.  Heart disease kills more people than cancer.  What you say above about advances in cancer treatment is very true.  Micheline was also fortunate to have an outstanding doctor (Dr. Eisenhower, now chief of Gynecologic Oncology at Mass General).  Unfortunately, cancer still kills more people every year than Covid.  There is some very promising research underway but the fact that "cancer" is actually many different diseases makes progress slower than it could be for some forms of cancer.  

Enough of the downer talk...let's get back to food, animals, travel, and CRUISING!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yesterday was NOT a routine day, it was a very good day.  Micheline is an ovarian cancer survivor who has been in remission for 3 years.

Great news -- ovarian cancer is, sadly, not "a walk in the park", and waiting for the bi-annual results is never easy.

May you pop champagne for the both of you until 120 years [as is the saying around here] !!

Sorry, that's the "limit" imposed in Genesis (6:3).... 😉

One hundred and twenty years is considered the ideal human life-span, as stated in Genesis (6:3): “God said: ‘My spirit shall not abide in a human forever, since a person is also flesh; therefore a person’s days will be 120 years.’ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, singinalot said:

I'm sure that will change within the next couple of years though. I either fly high or in places where people aren't around at all in order to avoid hassle

That's what I think will happen. I have not bought one but I want to get one. We have one at our television station that I have operated the camera for but have not flown since we are a commercial operation and you have to be licensed. I've seen the book for the test. It covers a lot of ground and it helps to know aviation terms and be able to read aviation maps as well as knowledge of weather. I really would like to be able to take one on a cruise but I know the rules and understand why they won't allow drones. It just makes for such great footage for your vacation videos. Nice job flying btw Crystal. I know there is a art to it and you do a nice job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I understand the anxiety from other family members going thru this.  

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Wow how stressful for you and your wife having to wait a day more.

57 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Very happy to hear about Micheline.🥂  The worst wait is the wait for medical test results.

Agree -- the fear never leaves you and the waiting is no fun....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

One hundred and twenty years is considered the ideal human life-span, as stated in Genesis (6:3): “God said: ‘My spirit shall not abide in a human forever, since a person is also flesh; therefore a person’s days will be 120 years.’ 

I would be OK with 120 years.  😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Our Son blew out a tire on rt 206 on his way here and didn't get here till 630 so we didn't get to do our blue claw crab feast yet as the blue claw store sold out. 

👎

Pictures will be greatly appreciated.... at least pictures 😉

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's what I think will happen. I have not bought one but I want to get one. We have one at our television station that I have operated the camera for but have not flown since we are a commercial operation and you have to be licensed. I've seen the book for the test. It covers a lot of ground and it helps to know aviation terms and be able to read aviation maps as well as knowledge of weather. I really would like to be able to take one on a cruise but I know the rules and understand why they won't allow drones. It just makes for such great footage for your vacation videos. Nice job flying btw Crystal. I know there is a art to it and you do a nice job.

I've thought about getting my license just to have it.  It doesn't look too difficult to get.  I too worry about the confrontations that Crystal mentioned, especially when many people don't really understand the rules (but think they do).  Lots of examples of this on YouTube, including with law enforcement officers.  In the US for example, no local jurisdictions can impose bans on their airspace (i.e. make it illegal for a drone to be flying in their town).  Only the FAA can do that.  However, a local jurisdiction CAN make it illegal to takeoff, land, or control a drone from their area.  So you could, in theory, takeoff/control/land from outside of a town and fly into the town, assuming you follow all other rules.  I try to avoid those situations, and definitely try to avoid doing something that would bother others, but having the license might help give me more credibility if such a situation happens.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

However, a local jurisdiction CAN make it illegal to takeoff, land, or control a drone from their area.  So you could, in theory, takeoff/control/land from outside of a town and fly into the town, assuming you follow all other rules

Yes this is my concern as well. We run into restricted airspace all the time when we cover the news. Sometimes at a police scene the cops will see our drone and not like the fact that it is there and call the FAA for restricted airspace for no reason than to mess with us.

I also remember watching a Sailing Doodles video on YT where he was flying is drone while sailing and the drone stopped and just started to hover over a area. He figured out there must have been some registered restricted airspace from the island loaded into the GPS. He had to turn the boat around and go back and get the drone. 

The other thing I worry about is flying one in another country. You have to make sure you know what the laws are. Countries are  a lot more stringent when it comes to allowing drones to fly wherever they want.

• Like 1

I havent been to the sea shell in a couple of years as the spray beach hotel is right down the street from us so we go there a lot when we stay at our house

Sea Shell has a totally different vibe. Spray Beach seems to have a more relaxed atmosphere (correct me if I'm wrong) where as Sea Shell seems to be more lively & energetic. The bands tend to play louder and longer into the night, hence the crowd tends to skew younger.  Last Labor Day, social distance & capacity restrictions seemed to be treated as "suggestions" rather than rules.

I haven't stayed at either place, just go for dinner, drinks and music. Not that there are a lot of hotels to choice from on LBI, but those would be the only 2 places I would book.

Some Nights we either walk or ride our bikes to 13th st for hudson house.  Have been known to stay too long and leave our bikes there and uber home.

Always fun!

Smart move. A friend of ours was pulled over for DWI while biking home from Nardi's. Not to many people know that's a possibility.

32 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Ironic as I always say that.  Longevity does not run in my family (most pass away in their early 70's) but I've said I will break that trend and live to 120.  Glad to see I have a "higher power" backing me up. 🙂

Heck, I'm not even half-way there yet. 😇

• Like 2