Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you for the explanation [usually, I google lot of things being said / or places where you all go on vacation -- just found the meaning of "half bath".... turns out nobody cut a tub in two with a sword 😁].

This time, I went back and forth, from the beginning [of the sentence] to the end, wondering if a comma is missing, so as to make sense...

Or is "mother/daughter" a secret code?😉

Learning new things all the time from this thread 😁

So do we all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The excitement of getting our new driveway yesterday was short lived. They ripped out the old driveway and graded the driveway and added truckloads of new base material. That all got compacted and water is just draining out of the hill. There is still standing water 24 hours after all this was done. They just came to pave and left. 😕  We now are expecting 1 to 2 inches more rain tomorrow. 👎 No chance this can be paved until at least Tuesday. No trick or treating at our house this year.

B1C50736-39BE-4DA9-B347-8561A93AB408.jpeg

😥   it has been heavy rain and strong winds for a couple hours here.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

😥   it has been heavy rain and strong winds for a couple hours here.  

Same here.Winds are 30 mph here now and tomorrow is expected to be wet all day.My daughter and family who live near here left this afternoon to visit colleges that my 17 year old granddaughter wants to apply to.They are in Boston now ,will be there tomorrow then going to your state Sunday.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Same here.Winds are 30 mph here now and tomorrow is expected to be wet all day.My daughter and family who live near here left this afternoon to visit colleges that my 17 year old granddaughter wants to apply to.They are in Boston now ,will be there tomorrow then going to your state Sunday.

Weather same here for tomorrow too.  We were going to do some yard work now that we are back home, maybe Sunday.

I hope the weather is better in Boston for them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The excitement of getting our new driveway yesterday was short lived. They ripped out the old driveway and graded the driveway and added truckloads of new base material. That all got compacted and water is just draining out of the hill. There is still standing water 24 hours after all this was done. They just came to pave and left. 😕  We now are expecting 1 to 2 inches more rain tomorrow. 👎 No chance this can be paved until at least Tuesday. No trick or treating at our house this year.

B1C50736-39BE-4DA9-B347-8561A93AB408.jpeg

@reallyitsmema We also had problems getting our driveway done. Ours was done in March so we also had weather issues. It is a lot smaller than yours. But it sure is easier to shovel snow without the loose concrete that was the old driveway.

driveway.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Or is "mother/daughter" a secret code?😉

It's possible. It depends 😉

The terms "mother/daughter", "in-law suite" and "Mother-in-law suite" are used interchangeably.  I'm not even sure it's a regional thing as I've seen all three terms used in my community.  I believe there is no legal definition that separates the terms.

What is legal - or in my example illegal - are single homes that have expanded into two-family homes by adding "Mother/Daughter Units" with completely separate entrances, separate utilities and no shared door between the units.  Some communities have zoning regulations making 2 family homes illegal so a home owner will refer to it as a "Mother/Daughter" unit and hope nobody notices *wink, wink". It's amazing what a building inspector can overlook when being treated generously, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dbancroft said:

@reallyitsmema We also had problems getting our driveway done. Ours was done in March so we also had weather issues. It is a lot smaller than yours. But it sure is easier to shovel snow without the loose concrete that was the old driveway.

driveway.jpg

We need to see the finished photo! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

We need to see the finished photo! :classic_biggrin:

@CoralcSometime when and if everyone goes back to work in person. There are 3 cars parked there everyday. I have to wash the driveway soon anyways to get rid of rabbit doodoo . Someone's white rabbit has been loose on our block for months now and likes to live under the cars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dbancroft said:

driveway.jpg

One of the main reasons we are getting it done is because of the snow.  We currently have to snowblow and then shovel because of all the cracks and ruts.  We have considered having it plowed but it is hard because of the stonewall along the driveway.  We have a second, taller stone wall in front of our house as we are built into a hill.  They could plow some onto the lawn but they would have to pull a lot out and put it on the sidewalk, which is technically not allowed.

I am glad it worked out for you and has made life easier.  Fingers crossed it works out here too.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

They are going to Boston University tomorrow for a tour and to UMass-Amherst in the afternoon.

That's too bad the weather isn't going to cooperate.  Hopefully, they have raincoats and umbrellas.  We visited campuses in bad weather too and just had to make the most of it.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, mets07 said:

As seen in New Jersey moments ago. 20211026_173709.thumb.jpg.f09ffdd7638b374301eb53661c77dc94.jpg

That is a beautiful picture.

On 10/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Aloha!  We made it to Oahu, Hawaii on Tuesday. Weather has been beautiful.  It is not packed with tourists like before because international travel restrictions are still in place.  But there is still enough tourists from so many different states that it’s nice to see people enjoying their vacations. 

This is our hotel for the next 9 days.

0398473B-5328-4774-9E2D-5CBF132F2510.thumb.jpeg.b18c304441789ce08f8f3187edb9c7af.jpeg

View from our room

FFE391F6-D12B-42E9-B380-55591D0217B4.thumb.jpeg.912f8b89acf2b49c0d7af793d8d73a54.jpeg

Our  first visit after hotel check-in was Costco for some stuff.  They had Custard Pie!  Same size as their Pumpkin Pie.  It is veerrry good.

DD7C0B6B-EB52-4E40-93E0-D81312BA9584.thumb.jpeg.d85ce782b548e668e8fdf4b553fe07ca.jpeg

Hope you have a fabulous time. We always stay at the Hale Koa which is 1 or 2 hotels over from there. Can’t wait to go back next October. Enjoy every minute of it and post pictures if you have time.

@grapau27 Happy Birthday 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know we sometimes mention You Tube series that we watch. I wondered if anyone has watched "Adventures With Purpose"? 

I have been following them for a few years. It started off as an environmental pursuit, removing cars from waterways. There is something strangely compelling about watching them remove these old abandoned cars from lakes and waterways. And what an interesting process it is. 

And they started finding human remains in some of the cars, and have somewhat shifted their focus this fall. It is not about that, but they are actively looking this year to solving some missing person cases and have been rather successful. Sad, but oddly interesting to watching the diving, securing, floating and hauling of the cars. 

https://www.youtube.com/adventureswithpurpose

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

One of the first things I had done after buying my first house was replace the driveway. I shopped around, talked to neighbors, talked to people I know "in the business", got 4 or 5 estimates, thought I did my due diligence and went with a guy that gave me a great price. Not the lowest price but what I thought was a very reasonable price based on several neighbors experiences. I was so proud of myself! 

A fleet of trucks show up, rip out the old driveway, and down the  base layer all in a day, then the guy tells me he'll be back in 2-3 weeks after the base layer "settles".  I tell this to people and they give me a weird look saying it's not typically that long.  I figured the guy saw the "new homeowner" look on my face and took advantage of it.

It turns out, this is how he operated. He'd spend 3 weeks just ripping out as many driveways as possible in order to secure the job, then goes back to pave them.  I had to call several times & it still took him several weeks to get back to me.  The only thing I had in my favor is that I owed him money and wasn't going to pay for the work already done.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hows the hot tub?  All connected and enjoying it🍹

@Jimbo

All wired up, in for the first time tonight, just got out.  Really nice. Very dark out there tonight, not many stars tonight, cloudy. Missed our hot tub in NJ. First time in a hot tub in the last 11 months.

Don't know how much you miss it until you don't have one.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3