Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Judy, since you've asked so nicely 🥰,

I went outside and took some pics of the different "artworks" on the walls.

The "pi" was actually painted in gold, but, being outside, it faded during the years....

Pi.jpg

black tie.jpg

girl.jpg

no name.jpg

spoons.jpg

spoons1.jpg

work.jpg

Did you make any of the artwork?

51 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That is a really cool picture.  I love shots with moody skies.

Thanks!  Everyone was out on their balconies taking pictures of this-  all probably thinking the same thing...like...geez....just how bad is this gonna be??  Luckily, very little rain or wind came from it despite the rather foreboding look of it. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

A few more "road trip" pics from just the other week.....storm clouds threatening at Cape May, a peaceful sunrise, and then the "Water's edge" restaurant and cottages at Memorytown, Mt. Pocono, PA. We honeymooned there 40 years ago so always nostalgic to go back and see what changes have been made!  It is a terrific spot for weddings with several outdoor and indoor venues. They average about 2 weddings weekly. 

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

What a beautiful area! Great photos. We haven't been very many places in the east or on the east coast:classic_biggrin:. I love all the pictures. 

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I love all the pictures. 

wow...thanks so much!  We were at Cape May once before - 14 years ago - stayed at the same resort. Memorytown, at one time, appeared to be going down the tubes - they were no longer renting cottages and all they had was the restaurant - and that wasn't open very often. Then, under new management, they really brought it back. Spruced the place up, reburfished the cottages, converted a barn into a lovely wedding facility, and also started doing ATV tours - hour rides on paths through the woods (at $100 a pop for the driver and something like $40 for a passenger). Restaurant went from a lunch-only (basically sandwiches, fries, etc.) place to a pretty fancy dinner-only place. Along with the weddings, I think they're in great shape. Only sad part is the beatiful indoor pool sprung a leak about 35 years ago, was never fixed, and so they filled it in. Nothing was done with it. Currently just used for storage. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

2 more from the road trip....wedding on the beach in Cape May (VERY windy day - just look at the waves!!!)  and a cool shot of the Memorytown "Water's Edge" restaurant...appropriately named!!  Funny story...my 96-year aunt said, "I wouldn't want to be sitting at one of those end tables - you could drop right into the lake!"  

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL...do you remember super balls???  LOVED those...came in all different sizes. Had that cool 'atom' logo on each one. 

I remember the super ball.  When young we lived on the main street entering our town.  I was bouncing my original supper ball on the front porch.  It got away from me, bounced down the sidewalk and onto the street. It was bouncing up and down under a passing car.  When it bounced out the back it flew wayyyyyy up in the sky.  When it came down it hit the windshield of the next car and flew down the road.  Never saw it again.  No, the windshield did not break.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Never saw it again.

Ahh...so sad. 😟 And yet, sort of a humorous story in retrospect I suppose! They were really something. My brother once took mine and was too rough on it (bouncing it on the asphalt). From bouncing it so hard to see how high it would go (it was probably already well-worn), the thing pretty much broke in half. I was totally bummed. I see there are still people selling (well, more like scalping) them on etsy, etc. 

While we're doing memory lane (or...wait..is that memorytown?!) - how about rat-fink rings??  Came in all different colors. 

Man, those were the days...what a simpler time. We lived in center city Allentown, PA and didn't even lock the doors at night. Noone we knew did. No need. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

Well, you didn’t grow up during the war. There was no gum…or rubber balls!

A neighborhood kid was on the sidewalk yelling that the drugstore had bubble gum but by the time I got money from my mother, it was all gone. 
I remember when we finally got a rubber ball. It was a little smaller than a tennis ball, pink, and smelled like baby powder. 
We were so excited!!

I was a kid during WWII but I am referring specifically to the 1950’s .

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Cracker Barrel has lots of nostalgia candy/gum including Black Jack (blue and black wrapper), Teaberry my favorite in sort of mauve wrapper.  I used to visit the Cracker Barrel near me just to meander in the store without having a meal.

My sister's 1962 HS class is planning another reunion!

Fabulous art.  Your balcony could be an art gallery! 

Growing up, every kid had to have a Spalding rubber ball.  It bounced the highest!

image 0 of "SPALDEEN" HI-BOUNCE BALL?

The President of my HS reunion committee is not planning any future reunions because for the 50th.she had trouble finding enough people.

She found one guy who moved away and never graduated with our class and another guy who lived in the area but did not go to our HS.Instead they are doing all year reunions every year in Fla.This year 4 people from my graduating class attended.

Bonnie if you are referring to Seward Park HS,Estelle who I mentioned to you who lived on Grand St.graduated in 1962.

Edited by lenquixote66

26 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Ahh...so sad. 😟 And yet, sort of a humorous story in retrospect I suppose! They were really something. My brother once took mine and was too rough on it (bouncing it on the asphalt). From bouncing it so hard to see how high it would go (it was probably already well-worn), the thing pretty much broke in half. I was totally bummed. I see there are still people selling (well, more like scalping) them on etsy, etc. 

While we're doing memory lane (or...wait..is that memorytown?!) - how about rat-fink rings??  Came in all different colors. 

Man, those were the days...what a simpler time. We lived in center city Allentown, PA and didn't even lock the doors at night. Noone we knew did. No need. 

Allentown,PA.My family and I were there in the mid 80’s.I still have the brochure from the amusement park where my wife was stung by a bee and had to go to a hospital ER.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Cracker Barrel has lots of nostalgia candy/gum including Black Jack (blue and black wrapper), Teaberry my favorite in sort of mauve wrapper.  I used to visit the Cracker Barrel near me just to meander in the store without having a meal.

Growing up, every kid had to have a Spalding rubber ball.  It bounced the highest!

There is a old fashioned candy store in downtown Carrollton where I live that has lots of the candy which I grew up with many decades ago . We used the Spaulding rubber ball for stick ball in the middle of the street , handball etc. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Did u have a chance to ask about Captain Kate and her schedule for summer 2022? 😁

Yes. I asked around. I was told that they do not know for sure. Best way to know is via her posts. Many assumptions were floating around. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL...do you remember super balls???  LOVED those...came in all different sizes. Had that cool 'atom' logo on each one. 

Hmmmm nope, not familiar.  I remember the paddle balls with the string attached.  I so stunk at that.

55 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The President of my HS reunion committee is not planning any future reunions because for the 50th.she had trouble finding enough people.

She found one guy who moved away and never graduated with our class and another guy who lived in the area but did not go to our HS.Instead they are doing all year reunions every year in Fla.This year 4 people from my graduating class attended.

Bonnie if you are referring to Seward Park HS,Estelle who I mentioned to you who lived on Grand St.graduated in 1962.

I think I remember my sister telling me she didn't know an Estelle?

32 minutes ago, George C said:

There is a old fashioned candy store in downtown Carrollton where I live that has lots of the candy which I grew up with many decades ago . We used the Spaulding rubber ball for stick ball in the middle of the street , handball etc. 

OOOO I have to goggle that store!  You can buy old fashioned candy online but more fun to buy in person.

We girls used our spalding balls bouncing them and chanting  "A my name is Alice and my husband's name is Al.  We come from Alabama and we sell apples",  turning our legs around each word that had the letter A, then B, C, etc.  

BTW my sister and I had lunch in Deli News, a major disappointment.  I had to send my barley soup back.  Before covid, it was thick, hearty with barley, mushrooms, carrots, celery in a flavorful broth.  Today it tasted like plain salt water with only some barley in it.  Pastrami was not the kind I remember them selling pre covid. Didn't really even look like pastrami.  Wide pieces of meat  with blackened edges that they passed off as pastrami.  Trust me.  I know my pastrami as I gather you do.

THIS is what real pastrami looks like.   I'm salivating 😋 :

Sous Vide and Smoked East Coast Pastrami | Allrecipes

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Keksie said:

Wow.  I am impressed. 

9 hours ago, NHProud said:

Dani , thank you for sharing . Your husband is so talented in multiple mediums .  You are so lucky to be surrounded by such beautiful objet d’arts.  

9 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Fantastic!  A feast for the eyes. I love variety on the wall, and seeing stories in various pieces. 

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Did you make any of the artwork?

No. All are DH. I'm more into needle work 😉

An old shaving machine

20200618_111346.jpg

Time

שעון.jpg

Chunk of woods found in garbage

20201017_102344.jpg

20201017_102830.jpg

Man + woman = kid

20210701_075659.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don’t remember any printing on that first postwar ball, but it would have been around 1945, so my memory is fading!

But it did have a good bounce!

• Like 2