Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I will be 66 tomorrow and start claiming our government old age pension.👍

Congratulations on reaching that magic age to collect your old age pension. Do you have different options to claim at different ages, or does everyone have to take it at 66 in the UK?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, h20skibum said:

Congratulations on reaching that magic age to collect your old age pension. Do you have different options to claim at different ages, or does everyone have to take it at 66 in the UK?

Thank you.

It is possible to defer but after my heart attack 34 months ago I decided to take it now.

I have a couple of company pensions which I have had for a few years.

Graham.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

It is possible to defer but after my heart attack 34 months ago I decided to take it now.

That is probably a good decision.  Here, I was fortunate enough to be able to collect half of my wife’s, and let mine grow until I was 70.  So essentially, I gained 32% by waiting, but with collecting on hers, it made sense for me.  I don’t think the younger ones have that option anymore. 

• Like 5

I decided that today would not be a good day to “go big”.  

One of my childhood friends (same age as me), passed away.  He married my 3rd cousin, and we would always reminisce about growing up, when we would have family get togethers. 

Then, I just read that an old girlfriend was struck and killed by a car last night.  Dated for a couple years in high school and a year in college.  Once again, same age as me.  

Not doing anything to tempt fate today. 

• Like 19

Just now, h20skibum said:

One of my childhood friends (same age as me), passed away.  He married my 3rd cousin, and we would always reminisce about growing up, when we would have family get togethers. 

Then, I just read that an old girlfriend was struck and killed by a car last night.  Dated for a couple years in high school and a year in college.  Once again, same age as me.  

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.

Sending our condolences to all their family and friends.

Graham.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Thank you all for the IPhone advice!  I knew I was asking the right people 🙂

Our daughter and grandson keep insisting that Jim and I get an Iphone.  Perhaps by Christmas.....🎄

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

I had my hips x-rayed this morning.

Afterwards we went for some lunch.

I will be 66 tomorrow and start claiming our government old age pension.👍

IMG_20221026_123640.jpg

Have a wonderful Birthday tomorrow, Graham!  Congratulations also on claiming your government pension.  I remember talking to a gentleman in Gibraltar about his government's pensions.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Mark, I am so very sorry to hear of your sad news.  May they both Rest in Peace.

Prior to reading this, I was going to remark about how great it was to see your grandchild recite the Pledge of Allegiance.  Was this on YouTube?  It still amazes me (and happily so) to be able to watch the accomplishments of our grandchildren on the TV.  So far, we have been able to watch 2 of our grandchildren's High School Graduations, one of our granddaughter's make her Confirmation, and so many of our granddaughters basketball games and field hockey games.  Last week we were able to watch our grandson with the HS Marching Band half-time performance.

We have our grandson Jack to thank for schooling us on how to watch all of the above!

Jack has been the video guy at his HS, live-streaming all of the athletic games for his school.  Right now, he's at the Soccer game...

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Oh Mark I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your long time friend and an old girlfriend. Even though you have a wonderful life with Susan, many people have come into your life over the years and have impacted it. I am so sorry for your loss and I hope the fond memories will give you some comfort.

• Like 7

@BonTexasNYBonnie, I sure hope the Dr. can figure out what's happening with your foot.  Never any 

fun limping around.😕

@dani negreanuWhat a wonderful luncheon with your dear friends.  You sure didn't let a little (or a lot) of rain spoil your great time together!

@Sunshine3601How are you feeling, Debbie?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

While the overall regular season record does not look impressive, that was the result of their 22-29 start to the season. Once they fired Giradi, they went 65-46 for a respectable .585 winning percentage.

Remember, it's not how well you did during the regular season - just ask Dodger fans - but how well you are playing now.  Both teams are firing on all cylinders.

Breaking everything down:

Nobody in baseball at present is as good this season as Verlander.

The Astros have great relief pitching.

The Phillies have Schwarber who hit 46 HR’s and Harper.

The Astros have Altuve and Bergman.

The Astros have 73 year old Dusty Baker 

Whatever the outcome it could be a great series.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Sorry for the loss of both of your friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

While the overall regular season record does not look impressive, that was the result of their 22-29 start to the season. Once they fired Giradi, they went 65-46 for a respectable .585 winning percentage.

Remember, it's not how well you did during the regular season - just ask Dodger fans - but how well you are playing now.  Both teams are firing on all cylinders.

What is your greatest memory of great baseball ? For me it was the 50’s with Mantle,Mays and Snider.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

That is probably a good decision.  Here, I was fortunate enough to be able to collect half of my wife’s, and let mine grow until I was 70.  So essentially, I gained 32% by waiting, but with collecting on hers, it made sense for me.  I don’t think the younger ones have that option anymore. 

No, we don't. 

51 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Prior to reading this, I was going to remark about how great it was to see your grandchild recite the Pledge of Allegiance.  Was this on YouTube?

It was just on the morning newscast for one of the TV stations.  My daughter must have had a notification from the school, so she let us know when it would be on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

I started collecting mine at 67 should probably waited a little longer , wife will retire at 63 or 64 and wait a few years, we do have small pensions and nice 401k with no debt. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

It was just on the morning newscast for one of the TV stations.  My daughter must have had a notification from the school, so she let us know when it would be on. 

That's great that the school notified your daughter.  Smiles all around!!🥰

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, George C said:

I started collecting mine at 67 should probably waited a little longer , wife will retire at 63 or 64 and wait a few years, we do have small pensions and nice 401k with no debt. 

As you know, there is really no good way to figure out what age to start collecting. I think many people feel better gambling on having a longer life span and hold off on collecting. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who never get to collect a dime of what they paid in over many years with that strategy. I have no idea what the right decision will be when the time comes to make it.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I was downsized at age 53.My employer said that if I retire at age 55 with 40% pension as an incentive I was offered free health insurance for my wife and I forever,free legal service forever and a burial benefit.If the burial benefit was not to be used my beneficiary would be entitled to a cash amount.I took the option.I also had an IRA.In addition I was on full salary for 8 months.After retiring I had 3 more jobs 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

So sorry for these losses Mark.  

• Like 1

Last night we went to Ava's Senior Night at her Field Hockey game.  It was her team's first night under the lights.  (They played on the Boys Football Field).  The game had just begun, when the fog rolled in.  Ava is co-captain of the team, and as such, the co-captains wear a yellow arm band.  Luckily for us, Ava also has a yellow hockey stick, so we were able to see her through the fog.  She played an outstanding game, and today we found out that she and another player made the All-Star Senior Team to be played next month.  😊

• Like 17