Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hello from the frozen tundra of Lee's Summit, Missouri a suburb of Kansas City where it is -4 with a wind chill that feels like -27 degrees with heavy snow until noon.

IMG_0353.thumb.jpeg.df02b7c98b98cb2714bd23b7b13bb6dd.jpeg

IMG_0354.thumb.jpeg.c5796eee5667f85b7b5cd705de0d142e.jpeg

So this is what you are sending me for Christmas 🎄 🙃.   It's currently 44⁰.  The storm is supposed to hit within the next 2 hours.  

Is the wind very strong?  I ask because I spent a lot of time yesterday covering the garlic.   I hope the wind does not blow of the mulched up leaves and straw I covered them with.

We have a steep driveway so we will park the car on the road so we can take off tomorrow morning.   

• Like 4

Last year we had to buy a new car and there wasn't a lot to choose from.  I normally do not buy a vehicle with AWD but had no choice.  With this storm rolling in I need to figure out how to use it.  😆  I guess I just hit the button that says snow. ❄️ Can you push the snow button when the care is moving or do you need to be stopped.  Maybe I need to YouTube. Any warnings about using AWD? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Last year we had to buy a new car and there wasn't a lot to choose from.  I normally do not buy a vehicle with AWD but had no choice.  With this storm rolling in I need to figure out how to use it.  😆  I guess I just hit the button that says snow. ❄️ Can you push the snow button when the care is moving or do you need to be stopped.  Maybe I need to YouTube. Any warnings about using AWD? 

Best to stop before engaging your 4 wheel drive or AWD.  Makes a huge difference on a pickup truck with rear wheel drive since there is hardly any weight in the back of the truck to get traction. Engine weight in the front of your car will help greatly.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Your Highlander is all time AWD.  No need to push anything.  

The snow button is if you get into some deep, nasty stuff.  I have never had to use the snow button on ours, and we get lots more snow than you typically see. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Glad my wife bought a Subaru Outback last year it’s full time all wheel drive, temperature in Dallas just dropped 20 degrees in last couple of hours to low 20’s with single digit wind chill and snow flurries, I know lots of areas are way worse . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I brought the gift of covid home from allure so I cant go anywhere. My mom was really counting on me to take care of things. No such luck. Cant be around her. 

Supposed to be 10 degrees by morning but no snow, clear. 

So sorry Jane. I hope your symptoms are mild and you can resume your holiday schedule soon. Take care and rest.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Working on the floor today since the weather is to crappy for our brick layers to work outside on other jobs.

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing the final result pictures.

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Is the wind very strong?  I ask because I spent a lot of time yesterday covering the garlic.   I hope the wind does not blow of the mulched up leaves and straw I covered them with.

We have a steep driveway so we will park the car on the road so we can take off tomorrow morning.   

Wind gets a little gusty but not too bad. Right now it's about 20mph. Snow has just about stopped. It was very fast moving. We probably have 2 inches.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reporting now from West Virginia.  It is 46°, and we finally got out of the rain.  Looks like we will be clear the rest of our drive today.  

Just crossed the New River Gorge Bridge.  

47904898-FACE-4699-B402-749137443B33.thumb.jpeg.8b926b8526b25f54d8aefefe2f1e66d6.jpeg

I know they used to have a bridge festival every year, and people could bungee jump off the bridge.  I think they have stopped that now.  

Speaking of jumps, has anyone seen the latest stunt Tom Cruise did for the new MI movie?  Pretty wild. 

• Like 8

I grew up in hill country of estern Pa. I learned the secret of driving in tthe snow is a light foot on the gas pedal. I wonder if the snow button instructs the engine control  to contol the engine response to gas pedal movement.  DW has and AWD car and it drives like any other car.  It is basically front wheel drive, with power going to the rear if the front starts spinning. It watches the difference in speed between front and rear wheels.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So sorry Jane. I hope your symptoms are mild and you can resume your holiday schedule soon. Take care and rest.

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing the final result pictures.

Wind gets a little gusty but not too bad. Right now it's about 20mph. Snow has just about stopped. It was very fast moving. We probably have 2 inches.

I've had it since sunday of last week. I felt a little better a couple days later in the week and then woke up congested again and dont feel like I'm improving. Coughing all night. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I brought the gift of covid home from allure so I cant go anywhere. My mom was really counting on me to take care of things. No such luck. Cant be around her. 

Supposed to be 10 degrees by morning but no snow, clear. 

Sorry to hear you have covid.   I took Claritin D for my congestion when I had covid in October.   Doctor's don't really prescribe much of anything  Seemed to help.   Get lots of rest and drink lots of water😃 and hopefully you will feel better soon.   

I hope your Mom is doing well at the rehab facility.    Sad that you won't be able to be with her for the holiday weekend.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Your Highlander is all time AWD.  No need to push anything.  

The snow button is if you get into some deep, nasty stuff.  I have never had to use the snow button on ours, and we get lots more snow than you typically see. 

When the dealership was going over everything with us in the car he started talking about AWD.  I said wait, I don't buy cars with AWD... He replied, so you don't want this one?  😆 I am guessing I will never use the buttons and knobs for the AWD.  About the only time I drive off road is if I fall asleep while driving.   Snow around here maybe about 5 days give or take.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Reporting now from West Virginia.  It is 46°, and we finally got out of the rain.  Looks like we will be clear the rest of our drive today.  

47904898-FACE-4699-B402-749137443B33.thumb.jpeg.8b926b8526b25f54d8aefefe2f1e66d6.jpeg

I know they used to have a bridge festival every year, and people could bungee jump off the bridge.  I think they have stopped that now.  

Speaking of jumps, has anyone seen the latest stunt Tom Cruise did for the new MI movie?  Pretty wild. 

Looks like you are heading for 77?

@Sunshine3601  Since you have been on Anthem a lot, what deck is best to book midship bump out near aft  elevators on deck 6 or 13?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Safe travels to you!  Also hoping everyone in the path of the storm stays safe.  
We’re expecting rain and wind here starting tonight with temps tomorrow in the 50’s.  I hope the roads dry out before temperatures plummet so we don’t have icy roads.  I don’t mind driving in snow, but ice terrifies me.  

I hope the power doesn't go off.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks.  It has just started drizzling and temperature is now dropping.  If it doesn't get worse than what you are seeing the garlic should be fine.  This front dips down to our area and then goes back up.  Once we leave Arkansas and bet past Memphis we should be OK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Be careful with 6. I think that is the one that has obstructed views due to lifeboats. I'm on 11 on Odyssey.

This would be near aft elevators on the bump out, is that view obstructed too,,,,,,Category J4

48 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That is an amazing jump he did!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Looks like you are heading for 77?

@Sunshine3601  Since you have been on Anthem a lot, what deck is best to book midship bump out near aft  elevators on deck 6 or 13?

On Anthem we almost always book a cabin near the aft elevators.    We have stayed in some very nice unobstructed or barely obstructed balconies on Deck 6.   We have stayed in both 6246 and 6644 and enjoyed the slightly larger balconies.    If looking to get a JS on deck 6 - they would be next to 6644 and also have no obstructions and no noise from the elevators as there

image.png.ac4ff02a5236beb5b4b50ee0b0392bd3.png

Our favorite is the square cabins on deck 7 - balcony is the size of a JS and I love having the extra window.    You would have a chair instead of a sofa but that is just fine with us as we hardly ever use the sofa anyway.    For me to have the extra space in the cabin and the larger balcony is much better than having a sofa we barely use. 

image.png.8d1e0a2f4acca19f60bd6c3259c7e4f1.png

Deck 6 also has these square OVB cabins but they are slightly obstructed by top of the small lifeboats.   They do not block your view looking out at sea but you cannot look straight down into the water in 6254/6654 and 6258/6658.      

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

On Anthem we almost always book a cabin near the aft elevators.    We have stayed in some very nice unobstructed or barely obstructed balconies on Deck 6.   We have stayed in both 6246 and 6644 and enjoyed the slightly larger balconies.    If looking to get a JS on deck 6 - they would be next to 6644 and also have no obstructions and no noise from the elevators as there

image.png.ac4ff02a5236beb5b4b50ee0b0392bd3.png

Our favorite is the square cabins on deck 7 - balcony is the size of a JS and I love having the extra window.    You would have a chair instead of a sofa but that is just fine with us as we hardly ever use the sofa anyway.    For me to have the extra space in the cabin and the larger balcony is much better than having a sofa we barely use. 

image.png.8d1e0a2f4acca19f60bd6c3259c7e4f1.png

Deck 6 also has these square OVB cabins but they are slightly obstructed by top of the small lifeboats.   They do not block your view looking out at sea but you cannot look straight down into the water in 6254/6654 and 6258/6658.      

What category are the deck 7 cabins?

Found them, for the sailing I'm looking at those deck 7 cabins are $500 more per person then a regular J4 Category which give us the option to use Coastal Kitchen if we like.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1