Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

i am glad it flew away.  For some reason we have had a pelican in distress surge at the refuge.  Mostly entanglements and swallowed hooks.  A few with botulism too.  They each need 40 medium fish or 6 large fish a day so it has been a struggle getting enough fish for them.  During the last couple of months we would have 7-8 pelicans in our care.  I think we are finally down to just 1.

It circled above the boat for hours and descended into the pool again, but this time it was packed with people whooping and hollering. It flopped down onto the deck and was flailing around until finally a passenger picked it up and took it away. Staff was uninterested in the situation. 

It’s either in distress or isn’t afraid of people and wants food. 🤷🏼‍♂️

72F77C7D-471E-4E72-B9E2-72C98BAEB1A7.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have had several problems.  First post I had the problem with it adding space.   Before I finished typing the message to you it acted like I was hitting the select all button.  I wasn’t even trying to select anything.  I finally gave up and hit enter.  The 3rd attempt, I tried to type and the keyboard would disappear.  I am now posting from my iPad.  No problems.  I will experiment with the Samsung browser settings to see if I can figure it out.  I enjoy it to much to just give it up.

We have the same problems. I just did not know how to clearly explain it. I, too, really like the Samsung browser and hate to give it up.

• Like 1

I just watched Doctors from the UC Medical Center provide a great update on Damar Hamlin.  He still has a long recovery ahead, but the news is really good!  They described him as neurologically intact and able to communicate by writing (he still is a breathing tube in place and can't talk).  One of the questions that he asked was "Did we win"?  😁  The UC doctors repeatedly praised the medical staff at the game from both teams, as well as the independent physician and others at the stadium.  They said their response was textbook and is a large part of the reason that Damar has had good improvement.  They immediately recognized the severity of the situation and performed CPR and defibrillation.  

@Ocean Boy - I know you spend a lot of time providing physician services to your local sports teams.  You probably have your share of relatively minor injuries to address, but your knowledge and skill could, and maybe already has, make a big difference in the future quality of life of a young person.  Thank you so much for what you do to help young athletes.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I just watched Doctors from the UC Medical Center provide a great update on Damar Hamlin.  He still has a long recovery ahead, but the news is really good!  They described him as neurologically intact and able to communicate by writing (he still is a breathing tube in place and can't talk).  One of the questions that he asked was "Did we win"?  😁  The UC doctors repeatedly praised the medical staff at the game from both teams, as well as the independent physician and others at the stadium.  They said their response was textbook and is a large part of the reason that Damar has had good improvement.  They immediately recognized the severity of the situation and performed CPR and defibrillation.  

@Ocean Boy - I know you spend a lot of time providing physician services to your local sports teams.  You probably have your share of relatively minor injuries to address, but your knowledge and skill could, and maybe already has, make a big difference in the future quality of life of a young person.  Thank you so much for what you do to help young athletes.  

I read this and I am overjoyed with the news. I agree the great and professional team doctors did an incredible job in assessing and treating him so that he is alive today. Great news!!

• Like 4

@jagsfan Mimi- I think that I read that it will be your first visit toBermuda and you hope to enjoy your visit without much walking.

I have two suggestions- 

When you get off the ship at Kings Wharf, a taxi area is a short distance from the ship. The drivers there would be interested in giving you a driving tour .

We have used the taxis many times and the drivers we have had were always polite and professional. 

Also- the ferry dock is not far from the pier. A pleasant ferry ride to Hamilton gives you an idea of what Bermuda looks like from the water. You could stop in Hamilton for lunch or take another ferry going to StGeorge’s where you could have a pleasant lunch. The White Horse Tavern has been mentioned. In doing your research, you will find a number of restaurants or places that serve afternoon tea in either Hamilton or St George’s.

Another idea is that there are a number of shops at Kings Wharf. To get to them from the ship,  there is a cute “train” that takes you through the Dockyard area and makes several stops.

We have gotten some beautiful prints from a local artist,Carol Holding who has a shop in the Clocktower Mall. She has jewelry,perfume and some household items made in Bermuda in her shop too. 

I hope you enjoy your visit to Bermuda!

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@jagsfan Mimi- I think that I read that it will be your first visit toBermuda and you hope to enjoy your visit without much walking.

I have two suggestions- 

When you get off the ship at Kings Wharf, a taxi area is a short distance from the ship. The drivers there would be interested in giving you a driving tour .

We have used the taxis many times and the drivers we have had were always polite and professional. 

Also- the ferry dock is not far from the pier. A pleasant ferry ride to Hamilton gives you an idea of what Bermuda looks like from the water. You could stop in Hamilton for lunch or take another ferry going to StGeorge’s where you could have a pleasant lunch. The White Horse Tavern has been mentioned. In doing your research, you will find a number of restaurants or places that serve afternoon tea in either Hamilton or St George’s.

Another idea is that there are a number of shops at Kings Wharf. To get to them from the ship,  there is a cute “train” that takes you through the Dockyard area and makes several stops.

We have gotten some beautiful prints from a local artist,Carol Holding who has a shop in the Clocktower Mall. She has jewelry,perfume and some household items made in Bermuda in her shop too. 

I hope you enjoy your visit to Bermuda!

MJ🙋🏻

Thank you so much! I took a screenshot of your very helpful info and put it in my Mariner folder. 
I literally have no knowledge about Bermuda besides pink sand beaches and a few hotels I’ve seen mention of over the years. 
I asked my son about his week stay and he said other than taxis to and from his hotel, he was in meetings all week. 
I guarantee I’d have managed to see a lot more than the four walls and a few restaurants/bars!

Now that I have a starting point, I will look at a map and get a much clearer idea of the island. 
Thank you again!

Mimi

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Great news for his family, amazing recovery,  doctors need to be close by when he hears that his charity has received 7 million.

• Like 5

MImi- Glad to be of help. Bermuda was always our vacation destination of choice. Haven’t been there since 2019 though.

I hope it remains  a place that we fondly remember.

In March of 2020, we were booked at the Fairmont Southampton Princess and I was looking forward to playing golf on their beautiful golf course. That vacation never happened though.

We hope to return one  of these days.

A little story- My hubby and I were walking on Front Street in Hamilton and a tourist stopped to ask us where the bus terminal was located. I gave him directions to the terminal as we had been there a few times.

I was pleased that he thought I lived in Bermuda and my hubby was surprised that I could give the person directions !

Another thought- 

The Fairmont Hamilton Princess has -or at least had- a poolside bar with views of the harbor. It is a pleasant place to sit for awhile and have a drink. 

The hotel’s claim to fame - one of them anyway- is that one of Queen Victoria’s daughters,I think it was Princess Louise, was a guest at the hotel.

A little trivia - and ,no, I am not a paid employee of the Bermuda Tourist Ministry.😊

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

We have the same problems. I just did not know how to clearly explain it. I, too, really like the Samsung browser and hate to give it up.

I posted this problem on the help board here.  

Maybe if we can get other Samsung Internet users to post they are having problems too then maybe CC will try to fix it.  Or maybe a Samsung user has figured it out and will post a solution.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Release the Kraken said:

It circled above the boat for hours and descended into the pool again, but this time it was packed with people whooping and hollering. It flopped down onto the deck and was flailing around until finally a passenger picked it up and took it away. Staff was uninterested in the situation. 

It’s either in distress or isn’t afraid of people and wants food. 🤷🏼‍♂️

72F77C7D-471E-4E72-B9E2-72C98BAEB1A7.jpeg

That sounds like it may have had a problem.  A lot of pelicans are used to people and fishermen will toss them scraps when they clean the fish.  However, a healthy pelican will not behave in the way you describe. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has any gardeners here ever start seeds in soil blocks? My DD bought a Ladbrooke Micro 20 to seed her flowers. They are made in England. What is nice is that the plant's roots will air prone instead of root-bound in pots. I am thinking I will try this method and the old method and see how it works.

Have fun experimenting with your plants, John!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks, Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies.   It's even more fun when I can work with my DD.  We are both excited to try the new method.     

I love your enthusiasm with gardening and enjoy reading about the various plants and cooking recipes that you share with us.  Waiting to see how it goes with kohlrabi, John!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm curious about why they're keeping someone who is neurologically intact and with no lung problems on the ventilator.  Seems like every extra hour on the vent is increasing the risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia.  When I was working in the hospital, VAP was a huge thing to be avoided at all costs.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I posted this problem on the help board here.  

Maybe if we can get other Samsung Internet users to post they are having problems too then maybe CC will try to fix it.  Or maybe a Samsung user has figured it out and will post a solution.

So my concern is whether this is something CC needs to fix or is it a problem that Samsung needs to fix with the operating system. As I think I mentioned at one time,  we use an app to communicate within the football team. Messaging freezes up for me since upgrading to13 UI 5. I have to go through a website to message instead of using the app. It is really annoying.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Still celebrating Christmas until this weekend the 7th for the Epiphany.

Same here. In fact, there are still a few presents (unwrapped of course) still under the tree.  Like you mentioned in an earlier post, the house seems cold and empty once the Christmas decorations are put away.

Outside lights will come down this weekend. It's been a damp and dreary week here so the yard is sopping wet. A few dry, sunny days are needed first. Plus, I have a certain, twisted pride in being one of the last ones to take down the outside lights. Just ignore the fact I'm also one of the last to put them up. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I watched, what I thought was an amusing video on YouTube.  Search for Californians move to Texas, Episode 5 Buc-ee’s.  

Caution, it does have humor, and California and Texas stereotypes, so if anyone is offended by any of that, do not watch. 😏

I felt like the male actor when I made my first entry into a Buc-ee’s. 

Hilarious! I'm watching the rest of the episodes now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So my concern is whether this is something CC needs to fix or is it a problem that Samsung needs to fix with the operating system. As I think I mentioned at one time,  we use an app to communicate within the football team. Messaging freezes up for me since upgrading to13 UI 5. I have to go through a website to message instead of using the app. It is really annoying.

Who knows.   I wonder why Samsung waited so long to send me the upgrade.  Wasn't it around November when you received the upgrade? So far I have not had problems with other apps and the Samsungbrowser is working everywhere else I try it  Looks like I am able to post from the Firefox app.  I might try Chrome.   I am missing the refresh button.

Samsung and the other Android phone manufactures modifies Googles Android operating system to run on their own hardware, sometimes there are issues. System and security updates for Android phones are not consistent or timely and sometimes have compatability issues.

Apple develops and tests their iOS operating system to run on the hardware that they create so that everything works in harmony. They provide consistent and timely system and security updates.

Most app developers prioritize development of their Apps for Apple iOS.  

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 2

So my concern is whether this is something CC needs to fix or is it a problem that Samsung needs to fix

So this got me thinking.   I went to the other website that uses this same message board to talk RC.  Using the Samsung Internet browser I tried to get it to mess up.  Samsung works just fine on it.  I  bet they do not use the same version.   But they are very similar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm curious about why they're keeping someone who is neurologically intact and with no lung problems on the ventilator.  Seems like every extra hour on the vent is increasing the risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia.  When I was working in the hospital, VAP was a huge thing to be avoided at all costs.  

Possibly to keep him deeply sedated to decrease cerebral cortex use. His brain needs healing from the anoxic trauma.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

Possibly to keep him deeply sedated to decrease cerebral cortex use. His brain needs healing from the anoxic trauma.

I don't recall the UC Doctors mentioning VAP, although I easily could have missed it.  I do recall them saying that they don't feel he can breathe 100% on his own yet and will slowly wean him off the ventilator as his breathing improves.  I think this was from lung damage sustained during CPR??? The only negative that I remember them mentioning is the discomfort of the ventilator to Damar.  

• Like 3