Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Dishwasher is on last leg I think.  Went and ordered a new one after work today.  💸💸

There goes 1/2 a cruise!

Is it normal to quantify big ticket purchases in #’s of cruises that purchase could have been??

Hoping you have better luck than we did on dishwashers.  Found what I wanted after much research, at least I thought.  Only Home Depot and Best Buy supposedly sell.  HD had a good sale around presidents day so ordered one.  A little over a week later they showed up at our house to install.   Two very rude guts showed up just before 4, we were waiting all day, the younger walks in and says can't install here. 🫨  We have a tray cabinet in between the sink and where the current dishwasher is, their story their liability insurance doesn't cover going through a cabinet even though current plu,Bing is already there.  Told them I want my money back.

Did some more looking, local small appliance store doesn't have what I want, closest is $300 more, not sure worth it for better experience.  Have used them in past but orice was not as much. Realize Lowe's does have the one I want at lower price.  Go in and tell them need this to go well have had bad experience with appliances.   We are now almost a month in, yes we were away for 10 days for Bella cruise but didn't matter.  First one came in damaged, 2nd is just in today, now waiting for install.  Have had conversation with asst store manager this week.  Cautiously optimistic.  If this has issues will fork over the extra $$ for local store.  Last appliance to be replaced in kitchen.  Not as many issues with all others combined, just over it all.  Only saving grace our current one works but not great and doesn't match anything else.

Until we are done can't say how many cruises it's equal to.  Stress is definitely more.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Here are a few pictures from my garage project. Before retiring, I was told that the first 6-12 months of retirement seem like vacation.  Eventually, you settle into retirement being your new life and take on new things to fill the time.  My "vacation time" lasted more than 2 years.  😁  I'm now taking on several projects to keep me busy between rounds of golf.

I installed cabinets along the back wall of our garage.  The counter top is temporary using some leftover melamine board from before we remodeled our master closet.  I'll eventually build a new counter top with a removable section in the middle where I'll add a flip up miter saw.  

IMG_0379.thumb.jpg.dd84e9601c1b6a3030ba43ad544ffb5d.jpg

Today, I put a 16 foot by 4 foot slat wall on the left wall, and an 8 foot by 4 foot slatwall on the right wall.  Still need to get more hooks and get everything hung on the walls.  Once I get the permanent counter top in place, I'll add slatwall between the upper and lower cabinets, and around the breaker panel, for some tools.

IMG_0377.thumb.jpg.ce689bba375eed5648ce44501055fbd8.jpg

IMG_0378.thumb.jpg.1632acdd2d85d3cc37eb235236847dfe.jpg

I previously added six 4 foot lengths of LED lighting on the ceiling that lights up the garage like it's in full sun.  I love having that much brightness.

IMG_0380.thumb.jpg.221e52ac61e7ad53fa35e7d5c648ef9d.jpg

I'm still trying to decide if it's worth getting the floor done.  I don't do any work on cars, and we don't have any fancy collectible cars to display, so I'll probably just leave the floor as bare concrete.

IMG_0381.thumb.jpg.50c757e60e0ed73e556e2cb891894b55.jpg

Wow! I wish my garage was that clean. Great job Bob! Hey you going to join us on Bella 2?

49 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Hoping you have better luck than we did on dishwashers.  Found what I wanted after much research, at least I thought.  Only Home Depot and Best Buy supposedly sell.  HD had a good sale around presidents day so ordered one.  A little over a week later they showed up at our house to install.   Two very rude guts showed up just before 4, we were waiting all day, the younger walks in and says can't install here. 🫨  We have a tray cabinet in between the sink and where the current dishwasher is, their story their liability insurance doesn't cover going through a cabinet even though current plu,Bing is already there.  Told them I want my money back.

Did some more looking, local small appliance store doesn't have what I want, closest is $300 more, not sure worth it for better experience.  Have used them in past but orice was not as much. Realize Lowe's does have the one I want at lower price.  Go in and tell them need this to go well have had bad experience with appliances.   We are now almost a month in, yes we were away for 10 days for Bella cruise but didn't matter.  First one came in damaged, 2nd is just in today, now waiting for install.  Have had conversation with asst store manager this week.  Cautiously optimistic.  If this has issues will fork over the extra $$ for local store.  Last appliance to be replaced in kitchen.  Not as many issues with all others combined, just over it all.  Only saving grace our current one works but not great and doesn't match anything else.

Until we are done can't say how many cruises it's equal to.  Stress is definitely more.

Oh my - I’m really hoping I don’t have that experience.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Linda graduated from UMKC law school in 1990. We are good friends with Pat McInerney and I’m real good friends with Michelle his ex wife. 

Okay, just looked through some Bella cruise pics.  I didn't know Linda at UMKC but I do remember her 🙂 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Okay, just looked through some Bella cruise pics.  I didn't know Linda at UMKC but I do remember her 🙂 

Back then It was Linda King. She tells me obviously she was skinny and prettier back then even though she’s beautiful to me. Email me at g p s t e e l e7 at g mail dot com with your name so I can ask her . If you ever come to JC to visit your friends get a hold of me.

cheers!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Native birds at Featherdale.  @jagsfan you might have visited here when you were in Sydney?

We did! We did! I loved Featherdale, because I wanted to get up close to the animals. The Taronga zoo doesn't offer that. I'm a biologist. We had a wonderful time! What a great nature park!

AustraliaCruise086.thumb.JPG.d9fe32f0f0cf31835616a682cb2e831a.JPG

AustraliaCruise097.thumb.JPG.486c54882e487a07d03d61086b2bed5c.JPG

AustraliaCruise096.thumb.JPG.dd1c9c261860b7bce09733b1abbd8fab.JPG

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I think we should call you Sophie.😁

I had to go back and look up this post just to quote it!

It just occurred to me.... BILL IS MY FATHER!  🤣 

(For those who don't know the characters of Mamma Mia, one of the possible three fathers is named Bill!  LOL)

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

When I first met DH his garage floor was carpeted because he didn’t want concrete dust to get on his Lamborghini.  That was the first time I’d ever seen a carpeted garage!

My ex put carpet squares under his midlife-crisis-mobile (Roush Mustang) in the garage.  

• Haha 4

LOL. One of my co-workers has a llama. He boarded her up the hill and used to walk her down to our house. We put her in the backyard while we visited and chatted. He trained her as a pack animal for Yosemite tours, and he is now a Ranger there.  And the people down the street had ostriches in their pasture for several years. We would actually pull over in our cars to watch the mating dances. And the neighborhood next to ours has wild peacocks. I just love animals and wildlife. 😊They are so interesting. 

But Australian animals are so unique and different from ours, the opportunity to see them up close and personal was amazing. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

We did! We did! I loved Featherdale, because I wanted to get up close to the animals. The Taronga zoo doesn't offer that. I'm a biologist. We had a wonderful time! What a great nature park!

AustraliaCruise086.thumb.JPG.d9fe32f0f0cf31835616a682cb2e831a.JPG

AustraliaCruise097.thumb.JPG.486c54882e487a07d03d61086b2bed5c.JPG

AustraliaCruise096.thumb.JPG.dd1c9c261860b7bce09733b1abbd8fab.JPG

Lovely photos & pleased you enjoyed your visit so much especially given you are a Biologist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another warm & overcast day in Sydney.  State Election today, so all the schools had sausage sizzles, cake stalls and coffee carts  for fundraising from all the voters going to school halls today.  

6C818C4B-35F4-4568-877B-C64AAC236BFE.thumb.jpeg.457aeabe130b9b7fa3ac984dd237f07c.jpeg

Bought some delicious homemade macarons, choc tarts and tried some elderflower cordial.ABA379B5-E561-4090-8744-5C5FCE8CB571.thumb.jpeg.39e06b8944c555557ce9e5ea9d99e14c.jpeg

In the late afternoon went for a long walk and the drizzle set in.  This little  guy was sheltering from the drizzle In amongst the flowering gum blossoms.5D6E8B46-0B28-400E-864F-379190DD3ADD.thumb.jpeg.15cb5062acf1daaf556f894d5a1f0948.jpeg

C0E87776-BED8-45AD-8F39-B43994BA53CD.thumb.jpeg.5b17c8396f48bbb3eef4254aed1b6929.jpeg

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Lovely photos & pleased you enjoyed your visit so much especially given you are a Biologist.

That probably sounds arrogant, but I am exceedingly proud of the fact that I was able to have a long career using my hard-earned degree. Many people with biology degrees aren't as fortunate to be able to be working biologists, and I was. 😊 Thanks.

• Like 13

21 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Greetings from a warm but overcast day in Sydney.  Headed out to Featherdale Wildlife Park in the outer suburbs of Sydney today. Busier than expected for a Friday but still plenty of space to take photos easily.

359FD130-524C-43DF-B2F5-261AF0F5C8F9.thumb.jpeg.324ea194835874aff5fbf05fd804848b.jpeg

We were there in 2017. It's a great place. I wonder if my namesake is still there? 😁

20170409_085652.thumb.jpg.64376dc91dc1e3080e1c2e6afe5b7985.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

A few more photos of Featherdale We truly enjoyed it. AustraliaCruise2012.thumb.JPG.35704052b02de7cb39f09ffb2784e600.JPG

Wallaby

AustraliaCruise2025.thumb.JPG.ecf24ec8e95491036ce632991ddb4933.JPG

KookaburraAustraliaCruise2032.thumb.JPG.e35e7c941273203a3aeffe7fd94bd291.JPG

Koalas are Soooo cute. AustraliaCruise2070.thumb.JPG.e73562331d57b438b9c95aeeb5a64873.JPG

And who knew? Wild dingoes just look like dogs. "Dingoes ate my baby" would just be like a dog attack in the US. 

I can't seem to get another line in. The last photo is of a Tasmanian Devil. You may remember him from Bugs Bunny cartoons. They have him in a round enclosure, and he runs constantly...in a circle. 

Such unique animals! I won't bother anymore. 

AustraliaCruise100.thumb.JPG.d4e3605d55ee11dfaf05e90c5c7dd5f3.JPG

• Like 22

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

@ReneeFLL Hi there! Did Mike get my email with the Trader Vic’s Tiki Drink recipes book?

He hasn’t mentioned it. I’ll ask him tomorrow.

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I had the same feeling.  Now, I am partial to those ships that have 8 night ((or longer) itineraries. 

We definitely prefer 8+ nights.

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

But Australian animals are so unique and different from ours, the opportunity to see them up close and personal was amazing. 

So true. We saw so many different animals than what we’re used to.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They are quite a bit larger than our "bin chickens" , which are usually seagulls or pigeons. Those are like turkey sized. We so much enjoyed our stay there. And as you can see, I do have a fondness for wombats. Thanks! ☺️

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Nice work in the garage, love the  driveway pavers. What's behind the strange looks to be extra high door on the left. I assume the one by the bags of salt on the right goes into the house.

The door on the left goes into the house and the door on the right goes outside to the side of the house where the garbage bin is located.  All of our ceilings are between 10 and 14 feet high, so all doors are 8 feet tall.  The wide angle shot just exaggerates that height. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow! I wish my garage was that clean. Great job Bob! Hey you going to join us on Bella 2?

Still thinking about it.  We have a few concerns.  First, we've become suite snobs, and the suite prices on that cruise are outrageous.  I really want to try the new Wonder suite area.  Second, the Super Bowl is the Sunday that the cruise ends.  That's not much of an issue because we can be home in 3 hours from PC but if the Bills were to finally get back to a SB...  Third, and most important, we are planning a couple of big (i.e. expensive) trips in the next couple of years instead of cruising.  We decided to take a break from cruising since we've lost the cruising bug a bit.  We want to spend a month in Europe and a couple of weeks in Hawaii.  We're also looking into paying for a week somewhere with our daughters and their significant others.  AND, our older daughter could soon get married in addition to our younger daughter getting married this coming September.  Ouch.

Still, the desire to join you guys and meet people in person is strong.  I'm tempted to have Ken book a refundable group rate balcony and then see if suite rates drop.

• Like 15