Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@HBE4 My mother also enjoyed shopping at Alexander’s. Her store was on Queens Blvd in Rego Park.

As a kid,I did not appreciate  trying on clothes in the open concept ladies’ try-on room. There were no separate cubicles and no curtains!

She also liked shopping at Gertz Dept Store on Jamaica Ave in Jamaica. That was a lovely store!

The windows were always beautifully decorated for Christmas. 
There was an elevator run by a woman in a uniform with white gloves that would announce the different departments on each floor.

They also had try-on rooms that had curtains!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@HBE4 My mother also enjoyed shopping at Alexander’s. Her store was on Queens Blvd in Rego Park.

As a kid,I did not appreciate  trying on clothes in the open concept ladies’ try-on room. There were no separate cubicles and no curtains!

She also liked shopping at Gertz Dept Store on Jamaica Ave in Jamaica. That was a lovely store!

There was an elevator run by a woman in a uniform with white gloves that would announce the different departments on each floor.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

My brother and a close friend worked at Alexander’s while going to college, my last apartment before moving to Texas was close by in Kew Gardens.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I used to go to the A&S at Paramus Park Mall. It's a Macy's now.

I was a kid when my parents would drag me to a Korvettes shopping trip.  They loved it, had a little bit of everything, Sort of a smaller version of Walmart before Walmart was a thing.

They also loved shopping at Alexander's Department Stores.

I had a cousin who was a part time mattress tester at Alexander’s in the Bronx.

I was talking to a friend today about the department stores when we were kids and how everything changed when shopping malls started being built.

The first mall I remember was Kings Plaza in Brooklyn that opened in 1968.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I remember a Gertz but not the location .I had my first ever slice of pizza on Jamaica Ave.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I did. 

And thank you for benefit of the doubt but it was probably my lack of attention to detail.  Often times I'm multi tasking or more likely, watching Lenoard watching a squirrel out the window. 

The condo complex that I live in has a Security booth at the entrance.One of the guards probably from boredom likes to open the window and watch the squirrels.Perhaps he was once a cat.

• Haha 7

@George C I grew up in Forest Hills.

Kew Gardens wasn’t far away.

My father was a member of the Grand Jurors Association and served on a number of cases at the courthouse on Queens Blvd.

Do you recall a place on the Blvd-

Knish Knosh?

Later on, my friends and I would frequent the Salty Dog on Metropolitan Ave in KG.

Actually, my DH and I were talking just today about how we got together at the Salty Dog with two of my best friends and their husbands to let them know about our engagement-41 years ago.

Good places, good times, good memories!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had a cousin who was a part time mattress tester at Alexander’s in the Bronx.

I was talking to a friend today about the department stores when we were kids and how everything changed when shopping malls started being built.

The first mall I remember was Kings Plaza in Brooklyn that opened in 1968.

And today many Malls are closing or at best, hurting due to online shopping.  Progress??  I still like going to stores.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, George C said:

We received a nice discount on anything we bought and around Christmas A&S increased the discount, I bought TVs and other stuff for many family members.

This comment, that I could have written, was taken from a Brooklyn memories site:

I Remember my Mom would take us on the subway GG TRAIN and get off at Hoyt-Schermerhorn walk that long hallway and walk outside on to the street into mcCrory and smell the waffles ...the waffles and ice cream was good.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

This comment, that I could have written, was taken from a Brooklyn memories site:

I Remember my Mom would take us on the subway GG TRAIN and get off at Hoyt-Schermerhorn walk that long hallway and walk outside on to the street into mcCrory and smell the waffles ...the waffles and ice cream was good.

Waffles and ice cream was delicious.I do not remember how much it cost.I do not think I was ever on a GG train.For me it was the IRT to Hoyt St.

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

May be in 4-5 years time... Let's see if they settle there. He's a lawyer and she's a SW. Both need the language to work. For the moment, DS2 will work for his law office, they're OK with him working from abroad. With the rent they'll have from their apt. here, supposedly they'll make do, until DIL will find some work...

DIL is leaving here loving parents, one brother with 3 kids and one sister. They're a very close knit family and it is very hard on both parts.

I plan to visit, hopefully DH will "break down" too and agree to fly to visit them. For the moment, he's very very angry...

When my husband moved the children and me far from my parents, they came  to love the trips to come see us. It was a chance also to get away from harsher winter weather. We made sure to always have a home with a spare bedroom. Wonderful memories.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

@George C I grew up in Forest Hills.

Kew Gardens wasn’t far away.

My father was a member of the Grand Jurors Association and served on a number of cases at the courthouse on Queens Blvd.

Do you recall a place on the Blvd-

Knish Knosh?

Later on, my friends and I would frequent the Salty Dog on Metropolitan Ave in KG.

Actually, my DH and I were talking just today about how we got together at the Salty Dog with two of my best friends and their husbands to let them know about our engagement-41 years ago.

Good places, good times, good memories!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

They don’t ring a bell , my favorite restaurant there was Regent Row they had a great prime rib also good pastrami place Queen pastrami . My parents lived in woodhaven for many decades .

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I used to go to the A&S at Paramus Park Mall. It's a Macy's now.

I was a kid when my parents would drag me to a Korvettes shopping trip.  They loved it, had a little bit of everything, Sort of a smaller version of Walmart before Walmart was a thing.

They also loved shopping at Alexander's Department Stores.

YES, YES, YES to those 3 stores, AND Mays Dept. Store near A&S in Brooklyn.

As you know, Paramus Park was a short ride from Rockland County.

A&S

Mays

EJ Korvette

B. Altman

Orbach's

Gimbles

Alexander's

Kleins 

No more. 😒

I am happy to live in an area in TX that has amazing shopping options.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

A&S

Mays

EJ Korvette

B. Altman

Orbach's

Gimbles

Alexander's

Kleins 

No more. 😒

How about Martin’s .? I remember all of the stores you listed In the 70’s we often went by car to your area and went shopping on Grand St.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luckynana said:

How is your daughter feeling and doing, Mark?🙏

After 10 months now, she keeps moving forward.  She has entered the phase where she is doing 6 months of oral chemo.  The good thing is that she does that from home.  

It is nice that the kids will keep her busy this summer, as we will.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Checking his balance

image.thumb.jpeg.33e60205f23f4a6ebf390171c5318183.jpeg

Dani, lovely pictures from your holiday.  Your grandson has excellent balance. 

It is difficult when the kids and grandkids move far away.  It makes it a little easier for us with FaceTime calls, and we have arranged our family get togethers over the holidays.  I hope that would work for you. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

A&S

Mays

EJ Korvette

B. Altman

Orbach's

Gimbles

Alexander's

Kleins 

No more. 😒

Yes Bonnie!!!  Grew up with all of those stores too.  B. Altman was always a favorite of ours.  We went to Willowbrook Mall which was closer to Montclair than Paramus Park.  Another small local chain in NJ was Hahne's and Bambergers.  Montclair had a Hahne's and I worked their over college breaks.  Shopping was so much better back then!  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

And we are back to the best Belgian Waffles and whipped cream at the World's fair.....☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Coralc said:

And we are back to the best Belgian Waffles and whipped cream at the World's fair.....☺️

I definitely remember having those Belgian Waffles during the 1964- 1965 world fair in flushing I lived a short bus ride away .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

Yes Bonnie!!!  Grew up with all of those stores too.  B. Altman was always a favorite of ours.  We went to Willowbrook Mall which was closer to Montclair than Paramus Park.  Another small local chain in NJ was Hahne's and Bambergers.  Montclair had a Hahne's and I worked their over college breaks.  Shopping was so much better back then!  

We have been coming to Orlando Florida since 1992.

Disney and primarily the shopping in the malls and outlets is the main reason Pauline likes it so much.

It is 66°F and partly cloudy here at 08.30am in North East England.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 6/22/2023 at 1:58 AM, singinalot said:

not RCCL related, but Norris @Bimmer09 has started his Celebrity Apex Iceland report and it's already making me have fomo

Thank you gor the heads up, I love his trip reports and Iceland is on my wish list 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 3:03 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you❣️

I casually slipped that into my post and wondered if anyone read it earlier today.🤗  

Even with less than perfect weather I've had a nice day.  Nice dinner at Black Whale with oysters and scallops then we tried new homemade ice cream place (yummy).   Ending the night with a pitcher of mojitos watching final season of Succession. 

What a lovely day, Happy Birthday Debbie 🎂 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Thank you gor the heads up, I love his trip reports and Iceland is on my wish list 

Hello,

I wonder if X & Royal have come to an agreement as to who goes where. I've been to Iceland twice on X but never seen it advertised on Royal.

On a different tack, whilst I've been enjoying the Baltic on Silhouette, the humour thread has gone missing - can anyone tell me where it is hiding?

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I wonder if X & Royal have come to an agreement as to who goes where. I've been to Iceland twice on X but never seen it advertised on Royal.

On a different tack, whilst I've been enjoying the Baltic on Silhouette, the humour thread has gone missing - can anyone tell me where it is hiding?

Regards,

Cublet

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2741933-to-add-some-humour/page/1320/#comment-65605066

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We’ve always had either GE or LG. We like the GE Cafe line. Every Samsung product I’ve ever owned has had either problems or quit working. I’ll never buy a Samsung product. I heard about the LG compressor problems but we went ahead and bought a new LG refrigerator. So far it’s great. I really like the craft ice maker that makes large round ice spheres for my cocktails.

The round craft ice feature is very cool in that LG model. How long does it take to make the spheres and how many does it make?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've never had an issue with Sansung cell phones. My phone is, however, the only Samsung product that I own.

Yes. Mine is also a Samsung phone and no issues. And that is the only Samsung I own.

• Like 2