Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

My poor daughter, the one who lost her husband, can’t catch a break.  She has been suffering with jaw and ear pain.  They extracted her wisdom tooth last week but everything flared up again.  She is now back at the oral surgeon.  Hoping they figure out what is going on.

Might be dry socket which is basically exposed nerve endings.  Sarah had that after hers were removed and it was excruciating.  They filled the pocket with a mixture of cloves and Vaseline and it was instant relief.

• Like 7

Good morning. 

We were getting ready to walk when I checked out the forecast. 

Now we are under house arrest

No rain

No snow

No high winds

No sand storm

No…………

But we are under an air quality alert in Oxford Ohio. 
We soared to a value of 191. 

Not knowing what it meant I googled. 

IMG_1418.thumb.png.86a3fa8ce5132849af4d32d9326b3d63.png

IMG_1419.thumb.jpeg.bbffcfa28e0189679d398fbad28f48a5.jpegIMG_1421.thumb.jpeg.84908fc15aa098c419d5edefe64de6fb.jpegIMG_1422.thumb.jpeg.e7ac717d059c3bb69d9d884702e5b5af.jpeg

So far the entertainment consists of

Swing

Mat

Stories

Bottle

Baby food 

Walker. 

Oh Lordy. What next. 
We usually walk for 2 hours. 

However the medical expert says unsafe for little Zoey to be out. 

Better to be safe. 

Later. 

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline and Sarah are excited to be going to Rod Stewart's concert on Friday.

Boy George and Culture club are one of the supporting artists.

Wow, talk about a blast from the past.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

TSOTD is from one of my favorite places to vacation in,Quebec City,Canada.

We were there several times between 1976 and 2013.

Beautiful place. Can understand why it’s one of your favourites. Visited in summer & winter.  Winter is beautiful but brrr.

6 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Beautiful place. Can understand why it’s one of your favourites. Visited in summer & winter.  Winter is beautiful but brrr.

We too have been there in the winter and summer.The last time was on a cruise .It was really beautiful .We were in Montreal in 1969 and fell in love with that city and have been back many times as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

That's scary.  Our oldest grandson was doing classes this Summer;  a month in Rome, and a month in Paris.  This is the month he is in Paris.  Our daughter (his mom), SIL, and our 2 granddaughters are flying to Paris the first week of July to visit Chris.

I think we are destined to not see Paris.  We first planned to go there, post cruise, after our 14 day Italian Med cruise in 19.  However, riots started happening in Paris, so we decided we would go on the next trip.  Well, then Covid happened, and the next trip over was to be the transatlantic this spring, with stops in France, then our plan was to go after that cruise.  Well, I think you all know what happened that we had to cancel a bunch of cruises, that one included.  So now, who knows when?

55 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@h20skibum that was a scary text to receive from your son.  You will be relieved to have him back home from Paris.

It will be good when he gets home safe.  He had a very productive business trip, and was happy he won both cases.

39 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Not knowing what it meant I googled. 

That is better than it is here. We are at over 200, and it is very hazy and smoky.  We are altering our plans today too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@DaniDanielle When I read the first post about your daughter having jaw pain, I thought it might be TMJ.

Then I read your follow-up post about it.

I had TMJ during a stressful time after my Mom passed away in 2001.

Apparently, I was clenching my jaw, causing the discomfort.

Your daughter has my sympathy as the pain can be relentless and excruciating.

My dentist fitted me for a mouthpiece that I would wear at night. I was also given Naproxen (Aleve).

I found warm compresses to help also. 
It took a few months for the pain to go.

I am hoping the dentist can help your daughter to get relief soon.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

PS Kind of a funny story. I took the mouthpiece with me when my husband and I went to London later in that year.

The night we returned home, I was looking for it to wear to go to sleep. Nowhere to be found.

The next day, I called the London Hilton.

Housekeeping found the mouthpiece in its’ carry case.

The person at the hotel described it as “dentures without the teeth”. I knew right away it was the missing item.

They had found the mouthpiece and mailed it to me.

I was glad because it had cost a bit of money and I was reluctant to but another.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

That's our other choice. I was trying to find out the difference. They are both in the same building but apparently one is more long stay with a kitchen, lounge area and dining area, and the other is more traditional king hotel type room. 

They are offering a very good price for September at the moment. 

Did you stay there ?

Yes, I did. Spent 5 days/ 4 nights in the Hyatt Place which is the traditional hotel room (Hyatt House has the bigger rooms with kitchen, dining area, etc for longer stays).  The rooms are modern, clean and quiet with all the usual big city hotel amenities. I had a room with 2 Queen beds with a pull out sofa since there were 4 of us and it was plenty spacious.  The staff was super friendly and efficient. Without me asking, the clerk that was checking us in gave us a "free upgrade" to a higher floor when I told her I am a light sleeper. The free breakfast buffet had plenty of hot and cold food with both healthy and unhealthy options and the staff kept bringing out fresh food right up to the very end. The hotel bar and restaurant were both good with the usual big city prices.  The only slight disappointment was the pool area. It was nice enough, on a 3rd floor patio overlooking the streets below, but it had no service.  If you want a bite to eat or drink, you need to take the elevator down to the lobby.  Not big deal as we only used the pool once to kill a few hours.

I thought the location is great and easily walkable.  Note: A 10-15 minute walk to me is "just around the corner" so take the following with a grain of salt. The Riverwalk & the nearest trolley stop were about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.   If you have time, I highly recommend taking the free trolley to the Historic Ybor City.   http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/home.html) include a live street map showing the current location of the trolleys and arrival times.

Also a 5 minute walk are 2 restaurants where we ate: A sports bar called Hatticks  (https://hattrickstavern.com/)  and a British Pub called Yeomans (https://yeomanstopgolfswingsuite.com/tampa/) . The closest Trolley stop to the hotel is actually right across the street from Hattricks.

As I mentioned, the Riverwalk is about 5 or so minutes from the hotel. It looks closer on the map but you have to walk around a large building or two to get to the access point. It's a pleasant way to spend an evening. We grabbed a drink at The Sail which is a large, open air plaza, then continued our way to eat dinner at Jacksons (https://www.jacksonsbistro.com/) . Probably a 20 minute walk from the hotel but took us longer because of the aforementioned drinks and talking with strangers we met. After dinner, a 15 minute walk took us to Sparksmans Wharf  (https://sparkmanwharf.com/) for some live outdoor music and after dinner drinks at the beer garden.  At this point, we are about a 25 minute walk back to the Hyatt but we opted for an Uber instead.

I would 100% stay there again and highly recommend it, especially if the price is right.  Oh, I almost forgot the view from our room. I did have to zoom in a bit but it's the unmistakable whale-tail of Carnival.

Ship.thumb.jpg.6a36bb6cc0a4c329da1c1e913be85c4d.jpg

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I feel like I wrote a mini-trip report when trying to answer a simple yes/no question. 😅

One thing I did not know at the time was that Tampa is the birthplace of one of my most favorite sandwiches.  The Cuban. Also didn't know there was a controversy around it.  LOL.

Next time I'm there, I'll make sure to get a Cuban or two. The sandwich, I mean. 😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

I think we are destined to not see Paris.  We first planned to go there, post cruise, after our 14 day Italian Med cruise in 19.  However, riots started happening in Paris, so we decided we would go on the next trip.  Well, then Covid happened, and the next trip over was to be the transatlantic this spring, with stops in France, then our plan was to go after that cruise.  Well, I think you all know what happened that we had to cancel a bunch of cruises, that one included.  So now, who knows when?

It will be good when he gets home safe.  He had a very productive business trip, and was happy he won both cases.

That is better than it is here. We are at over 200, and it is very hazy and smoky.  We are altering our plans today too.

We never visited Paris either but did call my younger brother to wish him happy birthday he currently is in Paris , I would rather return to Florence or another city in Italy . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sounds like a great concert.   A fun evening for Pauline & Sarah.  Boy George & Culture Club - gosh that brings back good memories.  

Rod Stewarts Every picture tells a story in 1971 was one of the first albums I bought.

The concert is open air at 

Durham international cricket ground.

• Like 2

My Parkinson’s Zoom Singing group just ended.The woman who runs the group is a Broadway Actress and Singer.

Today we sang songs by Fleetwood Mac,The Beatles,Joan Jet,Styx ,DonMacLean ,Bob Seeger and Journey.

If anyone is a Fleetwood Mac fan the TV series Daisy Jones and the Six was recommended .It is based on Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Rod Stewarts Every picture tells a story in 1971 was one of the first albums I bought.

The concert is open air at 

Durham international cricket ground.

It seems like many of us on this thread have similar taste in music.  

IMG_7726.thumb.jpeg.f3979c978ba109b7208ea9953476a58e.jpeg

I didn’t remember having so many of his albums, until I started sorting to find this one.  I need to put a couple on to listen to. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

It seems like many of us on this thread have similar taste in music.  

IMG_7726.thumb.jpeg.f3979c978ba109b7208ea9953476a58e.jpeg

I didn’t remember having so many of his albums, until I started sorting to find this one.  I need to put a couple on to listen to. 

Maggie May was my favourite song.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

My poor daughter, the one who lost her husband, can’t catch a break.  She has been suffering with jaw and ear pain.  They extracted her wisdom tooth last week but everything flared up again.  She is now back at the oral surgeon.  Hoping they figure out what is going on.

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

The oral surgeon said it was not infected but TMJ related.  She has another dental appointment tomorrow because the pain is too much.  Surgeon prescribed naproxen.

I had a same issue not too long after joining the same unfortunate club that I share with your daughter.  Jaw & ear pain, occasional headaches when waking up and an infected tooth that required a root canal.

Short Story: Constant clenching of my teeth due to the stress of life-changing events.  I would do it without even thinking about it, suddenly realize it after a certain period of time. Minutes? Hours? Who knows but then try to relax my jaw only to realize I was clenching it again a few minutes/hours later. And I would do it in my sleep as well which is why I would wake up with a headache and jaw & ear pain.

Long Story:  It came on gradually, only hurting for a while & then go away. After a few months however, it stopped going away. A trip to the dentist reveled an infected tooth so it was off to an oral surgeon for a root canal. There he did a cat-scan on my mouth - I didn't even know that was a thing - which basically gave a 360 degree, 3-D image of my mouth in amazing detail. Several of my teeth had what he called Micro-fractures. Tiny, almost invisible cracks that went deep into the teeth that allowed infections to start brewing. Needed only 1 root canal but a few others we are keeping an eye on. The cause of these tiny cracks is the pressure exerted from constanting clenching of teeth.

Solution: Wearing a night guard when sleeping to soften the clenching. I hate it so instead I do some deep-breathing exercises to relax before going to bed as well as some mindful mediation during the day and just trying to be more aware of what my mouth is doing.  So far, so good.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Smoke from the western wildfires drifting this way. Listening to the radio this morning, the weatherman warned that the next 2 days in New York could be tough. Last time this happened, the AQI was in the 325-350 range but that was from the Quebec fires. Hopefully this haze coming from the west will dissipate a bit more over the long distance and be less severe. 

It figures, after 7 days of constant, gray, damp skies and on-and-off showers, the next 2 days were supposed to be nice.  Caught a glimpse of the sun earlier in what feels like forever.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@DaniDanielle When I read the first post about your daughter having jaw pain, I thought it might be TMJ.

Then I read your follow-up post about it.

I had TMJ during a stressful time after my Mom passed away in 2001.

Apparently, I was clenching my jaw, causing the discomfort.

Your daughter has my sympathy as the pain can be relentless and excruciating.

My dentist fitted me for a mouthpiece that I would wear at night. I was also given Naproxen (Aleve).

I found warm compresses to help also. 
It took a few months for the pain to go.

I am hoping the dentist can help your daughter to get relief soon.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

PS Kind of a funny story. I took the mouthpiece with me when my husband and I went to London later in that year.

The night we returned home, I was looking for it to wear to go to sleep. Nowhere to be found.

The next day, I called the London Hilton.

Housekeeping found the mouthpiece in its’ carry case.

The person at the hotel described it as “dentures without the teeth”. I knew right away it was the missing item.

They had found the mouthpiece and mailed it to me.

I was glad because it had cost a bit of money and I was reluctant to but another.

@MJSailors

Just saw this post now after writing several posts the size of novels.  Looks like you and I had similar experience.  The Nightguard mouthpiece is expensive  & I never really got comfortable using it.  Probably only use it 20% of the time as a precaution whenever I feel like my stress level is building.  Of course, the dentist tells me that's why I'm never going to feel comfortable wearing it.  I guess it's all or nothing.

• Like 4