Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What airline did you use from Amsterdam to get to Barcelona? That is the only possible flight we want to book now, our Son from NJ is going with us and not sure if he is flying out from here in Virginia with us or if he is flying out from NJ/NY or Philadelphia to  meet us in Amsterdam

We flew Delta from USA  and KLM to BCN. All booked  through Delta.

• Thanks 1

@lenquixote66 Happy birthday, Lenny!

Enjoy the celebration!

@Luckynana A belated message of congratulations for your anniversary!

@A&L_Ont Wishing you and Lisa an enjoyable vacation and anniversary celebration!

To all those dealing with surgeries, health 

concerns , treatments and recoveries-I am wishing you better days in your journeys.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Monday July 24 will be my 80th.birthday.My daughters are making me a party on Sunday and have invited close to 100 people.Friends from my childhood,every school that I attended,several work friends,neighbors who became close friends,my nieces and families,nephews and families and many cousins.

The reason that I am posting this today rather than tomorrow or Sunday is that several people are coming from long distances and they will be coming to my house today,tonight and tomorrow and I am not sure specifically when they will be here.

The reason for such a large gathering is that 5 years ago I was critically Ill 

land my family made me a Celebration of Life Party.

Somehow I am still around ,something totally unexpected in July 2018.

My daughters have been planning my birthday party since January of this year to make sure that my long time close friends will be able to come.

Sounds like you have a fantastic birthday weekend coming up. Enjoy & Happy Birthday!

On 7/19/2023 at 10:18 PM, HBE4 said:

Last post.

This picture sums up the trip perfectly. The foreground is the wife of college friend#1 (the one I see frequently) floating lazily on the lake while in the background, I and Little Miss HBE4 sit on our version of Perfect Day (not at Coco Cay) Floating Bar. 😁

20 - raft (2).JPG

Did anybody fish? When folks do, what fish commonly is caught? We're the mosquitos thick?

As we were sitting in the screened in deck it started storming so hard the rain blew through the screen and we had to come in.  That was an hour ago.  It is currently 70⁰ out!  Hard to believe at this time of the year. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So close yet so far…….

The knee saga continues. Met with my Knee Surgeon today after yesterdays appointment with my brothers buddy. I was due for another injection of hydraulic “Duralane” yesterday but we decided to hold off until my doctor’s appointment today.

Todays appointment was to see if they could schedule total knee replacement in the next couple of weeks to give me enough time rehabbing for our October 21st cruise.

Good news was that they had a cancellation on August 4th in a couple of weeks. This sounded perfect until I realized the day after is my station’s 75th anniversary celebration where we are inducting members into our first ever KMBC Hall of Fame. I’m on the committee and I am giving a speech for one of our recipients sportscaster Len Dawson of NFL HOF, Super Bowl 4 MVP, etc…. Even though he passed away it’s a big honor and his wife will be there to accept the honor. As much as I want to get this knee done I owe it to Len’s memory to do this speech as we were very close working together for 12 years covering the Chiefs on home and away games. Plus there we a lot of people I worked with coming in from out of town for the celebration.

Now it looks like I will get it replaced in early November right after our cruise. It does interfere with my holiday plans for Christmas but I will have to make due. I guess I can put out the decorations in October but I will have to scale back. The knee just can’t handle it.

I guess in the long run it will work out. It does give Linda more time to recover from her hand surgery and gives me enough time to get all the pre testing done and a CT scan on my knee.

So the plan is get an injection mid August to hopefully last through the cruise. I may be a little gimpy on the cruise but hey that’s what a “Painkiller” will do at the Soggy Dollar Bar.

Cheers!

You set the bar high Greg. I really admire the loyalty and consideration you show towards your co-workers/teammates despite the inconvenience it brings to you. Hats off to you for being such a gentleman.🍻

dp

• Like 8

1 minute ago, dpostman said:

You set the bar high Greg. I really admire the loyalty and consideration you show towards your co-workers/teammates despite the inconvenience it brings to you. Hats off to you for being such a gentleman.🍻

dp

Thanks Dennis! When you spend 40 years working with people you love and respect you become family. I would do anything for them and they would for me. Interesting that our general manager who decided to start this HOF thought only about 30-40 people would rsvp and show up. Now it’s over 100 with some people flying in for it including national news reporters and anchors like Russ Mitchell of CBS.

• Like 11

23 hours ago, h20skibum said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4118fdab9807b19a7dc41a766f852de1.jpeg

Looks great!  Send this picture to Royal so they know what lobster should look like.

Seriously! A couple of cruises ago I ordered the lobster. It was split n half and grilled till it was dry!

These came out of the water at the end of our cousin’s dock. He keeps a lobstering license so he can haul a trap up and have lobster for dinner!

• Like 9

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Monday July 24 will be my 80th.birthday.My daughters are making me a party on Sunday and have invited close to 100 people.Friends from my childhood,every school that I attended,several work friends,neighbors who became close friends,my nieces and families,nephews and families and many cousins.

The reason that I am posting this today rather than tomorrow or Sunday is that several people are coming from long distances and they will be coming to my house today,tonight and tomorrow and I am not sure specifically when they will be here.

My daughters have been planning my birthday party since January of this year to make sure that my long time close friends will be able to come.

Happy 80th birthday on Monday Lenny.

lenny-m-11.gif

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Congratulations on celebrating your 80th Birthday on Monday, Lenny!  How wonderful that you will be honored by so many of your friends..a 100 people!!  Awesome!!  Enjoy your Celebration to the fullest!🎉

Happy, Happy Birthday, Lenny!  God Bless!  Mazel Tov!!

My Naples friend will also be celebrating her 80th Birthday on Monday.  My younger sister also shares your birthday on the 23rd.  We will be celebrating our friends Wedding Anniversary with them down the Shore, also on Monday.

Have the Best time!!!!!!!!!🥰😘

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

1st cruise ends on June 11th. 2nd cruise  starts  on June 13th Gives us a day and half to explore Barcelona before our next cruise starts. Found a lower priced flight from Amsterdam I think we could make.......leaves at 1:15pm  $104  We only need the one way, 2nd cruise ends in Rome.

Amsterdam to Barcelona is a DIRECT FLIGHT

1:15pm - 3:35pm
Amsterdam (AMS) - Barcelona (BCN)
2h 20m (Nonstop)
VY_sq.svg
Vueling Airlines

$104$104

Just a sample of flights and prices from Rotterdam below

First Cruise

• Day 1: Amsterdam - Netherlands
    • Thu May 30 2024 | Depart 04:00 PM
    • Day 2: At Sea
    • Fri May 31 2024 |
    • Day 3: Geiranger - Norway
    • Sat Jun 01 2024 | 10:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day 4: At Sea
    • Sun Jun 02 2024 |
    • Day 5: Tromso - Norway
    • Mon Jun 03 2024 | 10:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day 6: Honningsvag - Norway
    • Tue Jun 04 2024 | 07:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day 7: At Sea
    • Wed Jun 05 2024 |
    • Day 8: Alesund - Norway
    • Thu Jun 06 2024 | 11:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 9: Flam - Norway
    • Fri Jun 07 2024 | 08:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 10: Stavanger - Norway
    • Sat Jun 08 2024 | 08:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day 11: Kristiansand - Norway
    • Sun Jun 09 2024 | 07:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 12: At Sea
    • Mon Jun 10 2024 |
    • Day 13: Amsterdam - Netherlands
    • Tue Jun 11 2024 | Arrive 06:00 A
  • 2nd Cruise:
    • Day 1: Barcelona - Spain
    • Thu Jun 13 2024 | Depart 05:00 PM
    • Day 2: At Sea
    • Fri Jun 14 2024 |
    • Day 3: Provence(Marseille) - France
    • Sat Jun 15 2024 | 07:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 4: Nice (Villefranche) - France
    • Sun Jun 16 2024 | 08:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day 5: Santa Margherita - Italy
    • Mon Jun 17 2024 | 08:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 6: Florence/Pisa(Livorno) - Italy
    • Tue Jun 18 2024 | Arrive 07:00 AM
    • Day 7: Florence/Pisa(Livorno) - Italy
    • Wed Jun 19 2024 | Depart 06:00 PM
    • Day 8: At Sea
    • Thu Jun 20 2024 |
    • Day 9: Naples - Italy
    • Fri Jun 21 2024 | 07:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 10: Rome (Civitavecchia) - Italy
    • Sat Jun 22 2024 | Arrive 06:00 AM

Great itineraries, Jimbo!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Did anybody fish? When folks do, what fish commonly is caught? We're the mosquitos thick?

The lake supposedly has small-mouth bass, yellow perch and several different types of trout.  I say supposedly since the 1 person that did try to fish came up empty handed after a few hours and he's a fairly experienced fisherman. Even though the NY State DEC agency stocks the lake, fishing has not been great the past few years.

Surprisingly, the mosquitos were not that bad considering how deep into the forest we were.  Deer flies on the other hand were a nuisance, especially when the breeze died down. I did bring home several souvenir bites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

AMS is the hub for KLM,  We have flown into AMS from the States and connected to the smaller plane to get to BCN.

How are you feeling?

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@lenquixote66 Happy birthday, Lenny!

Enjoy the celebration!

@Luckynana A belated message of congratulations for your anniversary

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Thank you, MJ!  Enjoy your weekend also!

14 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

How are you feeling?

Thank you, MJ!  Enjoy your weekend also!

I haven't actually started radiation yet. Since the treatment is close to the jaw, i need dental clearance to begin, hopefully next week. 80 year old teeth is an issue.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I just read an article which was about Amsterdam closing their cruise terminal to cut back on tourist numbers.

They are building a new bridge which will restrict cruise ships.

I have had notification on one cruise next year that Amsterdam stop is being replaced with Rotterdam.

13 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@grapau27  Graham, I just read an article about this. ☹️

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66264226

After reading Bimmer09 Celebrity cruise Trip Report with a pre- & post-cruse stay in Amsterdam,  that's disappointing. But I do get it, seems like the city is a victim of it's own success.  No time line is given.

And on a related note, thank you @singinalot for directing us to Bimmer09 reviews. My first time reading one of his reports & I was hooked instantly. I kinda want to do the exact trip he took.

And  @singinalotI think it's already been decided but please do a trip report for your upcoming trip. It can be Live, Semi-Live or after-the-fact, do it however is best for you but just do it! 🙂

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Congratulations on celebrating your 80th Birthday on Monday, Lenny!  How wonderful that you will be honored by so many of your friends..a 100 people!!  Awesome!!  Enjoy your Celebration to the fullest!🎉

My Naples friend will also be celebrating her 80th Birthday on Monday.  My younger sister also shares your birthday on the 23rd.  We will be celebrating our friends Wedding Anniversary with them down the Shore, also on Monday.

Happy birthday to your sister and your Naples friend on Monday Maryann.

Happy-Birthday-Gif-for-Her-0103092022-wj4u.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What airline did you use from Amsterdam to get to Barcelona? That is the only possible flight we want to book now, our Son from NJ is going with us and not sure if he is flying out from here in Virginia with us or if he is flying out from NJ/NY or Philadelphia to  meet us in Amsterdam

If you can manage it, fly business class in a KLM plane rather than a Delta plane and get one of their Delft Blue Houses.  They are small replicas of real Dutch buildings and they're filled with Dutch gin.  I've got house number 87 (Het Peperhuis in Enkhiuzen) and house 72 (Singel 87 in Amsterdam).  Frequent KLM flyers collect them and many have all 103 houses...some even 2 or more of each house.  I would have loved to fly KLM more often but I usually ended up on Delta.  I think KLM has better service than Delta.

IMG_0678.thumb.jpg.c7e59e39eb551896c2324e6029d8f603.jpg

• Like 10

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sounds Wonderful.    I wish you a weekend full of fun with family and friends gathering around for your special day.     Happy Birthday Weekend😍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Wow - Monday is a special day for many people.    Happy Everything to Everyone😃

• Like 5