Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Looks do-able. I'd personally skip the day 1 lunch - much better places around. I personally am not sure you need a full afternoon in Times Square. It's mostly tourist trap t-shirt shops and stores you can find pretty much anywhere.

And Day 2, I know my family was not super impressed with the basically grab and go offerings on the island - we had planned lunch there but ended up waiting until we got back to Manhattan.

I'd definitely make your dinner reservations in advance - Open Table is good for that. And I'd plan on buying yout theater tickets in advance as well. I now you said that there were no Wicked tickets on sale for the 2 days you're there - are there for other days around that? Or have they not dropped a new block for that time frame yet?

They just haven't dropped yet...

Thanks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@Tree_skier As a native New Yorker - NYC that is-I have a few suggestions re:your planned itinerary for your Fall trip.

I hope my input is helpful.

I would check the weather forecast and take a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on the better of the two days,then plan ahead accordingly.

The Staten Island Ferry will take you past both sites for a nominal fee and the ferry can be an experience itself. Or,you could book a tour that brings you to both sites’ grounds. The cost is considerably more, but you will see more of course. 
   You could do a walk in Central Park,visit St Pat’s and have lunch in midtown in a few hours. Lunch could be at Rock Center Cafe situated on the rink at Rockefeller Center ( love the leather chairs there if they still have them) or in Grand Central Station either at Junior’s- famous for cheesecake and deli or the landmark Oyster Bar Restaurant. This could be done on the day that you don’t go to the State of Liberty.

Be mindful of sunset at the Empire State Building. You may want to do that before going to dinner depending on the time of sunset,of course. 
    You could combine Time’s Square with dinner and a show being that you will be going through TS on the way to the theater.

Carmine’s is in the Theater District. They serve family style with full platters of Italian specialties. I would also recommend Sardi’s. The bar upstairs is a bit less crowded and more comfortable. Bartenders know what they are doing. Waiters will realize that you probably want to make the show curtain,so service should be very efficient. 

I would make dinner reservations ahead of time and purchase theater tickets ahead also. 
   For a midtown hotel, I would suggest the Warwick. It is a stately hotel that has been in business for decades. Across the street is the Hilton. It is a massive hotel. Both hotels are on Sixth Ave within walking distance of Central Park, Rockefeller Center ,Theater District  and St’Pats.

I think @GeorgeC favors the Michaelangelo,so you could check that out also.

The Fitzpatrick is a very good hotel also,but it is near Grand Central and Third Ave. Good service,but a bit out of the way for your purposes.

Wherever you choose to stay, I would suggest checking in with the Concierge. They can guide you about tours and transportation. I always like to make contact with the Concierge desk whenever we visit a different area/city to establish a connection with someone in the area.

Now,a safety tip. You probably know this but,walk with confidence and a purpose. Check and know  your route before you set out walking or taking a cab/ Uber etc. Try to keep a quick pace. 
  Hoping you enjoy a safe and healthy visit to NYC. 
MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

The bar on second floor of Sardi’s is one of our favorites and Sardi’s is a nice restaurant. Juniors is great for cheesecake but deli is definitely hot or miss , last pastrami in May was just terrible , I really miss Stage and  Carnegie delis . We used to stay at Hilton which is one of the largest hotels in New York City, good location but I have waited 5 minutes for an elevator. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George C said:

Buffalo is expecting up to another 3 feet of snow this week ,

My BIL just cancelled their pre-cruise flight for Friday from Buffalo to tomorrow from Toronto. They weren’t going to risk it.

• Like 3

Mom is now in post care at the retirement ho e for the last 24 hours. Things seem to be going well. She did some physio today and they are coming to see here 7 days a week for 1 hour each day. She 24 hour care for the beginning and it will reduce shifts over the next month.  

She is looking bright and has minimal pain. 

• Like 27

Just was way Jimmy Kimmel show from last night he showed Cowboys fans throwing there cowboys jerseys in the trash , but the best was one guy took his huge big screen tv and threw it in his driveway then ran it over with his truck. I will not rub this in too much tonight when I go to our favorite restaurant which has lots of cowboys fans . 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, George C said:

Just was way Jimmy Kimmel show from last night he showed Cowboys fans throwing there cowboys jerseys in the trash , but the best was one guy took his huge big screen tv and threw it in his driveway then ran it over with his truck. I will not rub this in too much tonight when I go to our favorite restaurant which has lots of cowboys fans . 

As a huge football fan I totally understand the disappointment/ devastation of a big loss, especially in the playoffs, but this kind of stuff is ridiculous. In this grand scheme of things the outcome of a football game is pretty insignificant. Sure it sucks, but get over it and get on with life.

• Like 3

Many native New Yorkers have never been to some of the wonderful places in Manhattan.

In 2007 I was the organizer for a school reunion .The school was in NYC .I polled the alumni and asked what they would like to visit .The majority had never been to the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

Our reunion was three days.I attempted to arrange to see as much a possible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

My grandson, my older daughters’s son,

was accepted to all the Catholic high Schools he applied for. Scholarships to all. We are very proud of him.  His dad would have been over the moon.  The school he wants is home of the Vikings, his father was Norwegian!  My son’s daughter also did well and made the honors programs in the high schools she applied to!  Such happy grandparents here😃

Congratulations to your grandkids and to you and Charlie,Marietta.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

@h20skibum

Mark,

When you went on the Symphony, which Terminal did it leave from, and where did you park?

Symphony leaves from terminal 18.  We dropped our luggage with the porters, then parked at the surface lot next to terminal 18

IMG_6616.thumb.jpeg.6a7b61a0cf655b01d17fd799c5ac2115.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

My grandson, my older daughters’s son,

was accepted to all the Catholic high Schools he applied for. Scholarships to all. We are very proud of him.  His dad would have been over the moon.  The school he wants is home of the Vikings, his father was Norwegian!  My son’s daughter also did well and made the honors programs in the high schools she applied to!  Such happy grandparents here😃

Awesome news!!   Congratulations to everyone❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

We picked out the granite for the kitchen today.

Resized_20240117_102534.thumb.jpeg.9f5a23f3f7c1f6dfa13b04fe9e671990.jpeg

I'm curious. If granite is a natural stone, how can they tell that your countertop will look like the showroom sample? It is really pretty. Do they just have a lot of quarried pieces with the same brown veining in them? We just went with quartz, so I'm not sure how it works with stone. Yours almost looks like marble. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@bobmaclibertyBob, you mentioned that Central Park must be beautiful in the Spring..I can tell you that it was beautiful when our daughter got married at Poet's Walk in Central Park in June years ago.

@Luckynana Maryann, what a beautiful, special place for a wedding!

@bobmacliberty Billy Joel is one of my favorites.  I would be hard pressed to choose my favorite song.  I love them all but...maybe "A Matter of Trust".(I love the video)..or "Piano Man"...or "Uptown Girl"... you get the picture.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I'm curious. If granite is a natural stone, how can they tell that your countertop will look like the showroom sample? It is really pretty. Do they just have a lot of quarried pieces with the same brown veining in them? We just went with quartz, so I'm not sure how it works with stone. Yours almost looks like marble. 

I am not really sure.  Maybe it is a cultured granite?  He had a computer program that showed the veining in each slab which was different for each, and how each counter piece will be laid out.  He could move the pieces around to capture most of the veining and have everything run the same way.  It will use most of 2 slabs to get all the pieces.  I have a table made from a marble slab that my parents got from Marble Colorado.  I still remember going with them to pick it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Keksie said:

The table.  It weighs about 500 lbs. and has been moved from Colorado to New Jersey, to Texas, to California, to Texas, and finally to Florida.

20240117_204842.thumb.jpg.0ff949ce940b2244149a6f48b29e29c1.jpg

Wow! That is beautiful. And heavy. 😊 (Your curtains look like our curtains...with kitty rub marks all over them 😄)   That is interesting about the granite. Amazing how they can do that. Thanks. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Wow! That is beautiful. And heavy. 😊 (Your curtains look like our curtains...with kitty rub marks all over them 😄)   That is interesting about the granite. Amazing how they can do that. Thanks. 

The cats love the table to sit and watch outside.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many native New Yorkers have never been to some of the wonderful places in Manhattan.

In 2007 I was the organizer for a school reunion .The school was in NYC .I polled the alumni and asked what they would like to visit .The majority had never been to the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

I've never been to the Statue of Liberty. Tried once, about 30+ years ago, hottest day of the summer. Made it to the island but the line to get into the Statue was 2+ hours long & there were stories of people fainting inside due to the heat.  Decided I'd come back in the fall when it'd be cooler & less crowded.

I guess I'm still deciding fall of which year. 😏

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

@bobmacliberty Billy Joel is one of my favorites.  I would be hard pressed to choose my favorite song.  I love them all but...maybe "A Matter of Trust".(I love the video)..or "Piano Man"...or "Uptown Girl"... you get the picture.

Same.

\Billy Joel is one of my favorite and love just about all of his songs. Some of my favorite are "Moving Out", "Big Shot", "Goodnight Saigon", "Only the Good Die Young". I guess 70's & early 80's Billy.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Billionaire's Row, from a peasant's perspective.

APC_4119.thumb.JPG.eebc075b39ecc69d250e0de9ab909798.JPG

I'm not a big fan of the tall, skinny skyscrapers. From the distance, they look like smoke stacks & give the NYC skyline an "industrial look", and not in a cool, hip way.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've never been to the Statue of Liberty. Tried once, about 30+ years ago, hottest day of the summer. Made it to the island but the line to get into the Statue was 2+ hours long & there were stories of people fainting inside due to the heat.  Decided I'd come back in the fall when it'd be cooler & less crowded.

I guess I'm still deciding fall of which year. 😏

I was there at age 6,age 20 and age 64.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm not a big fan of the tall, skinny skyscrapers. From the distance, they look like smoke stacks & give the NYC skyline an "industrial look", and not in a cool, hip way.

I worked briefly in the Empire State Building and looking out a window every day from a high floor was enough for me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Same.

\Billy Joel is one of my favorite and love just about all of his songs. Some of my favorite are "Moving Out", "Big Shot", "Goodnight Saigon", "Only the Good Die Young". I guess 70's & early 80's Billy.

In 1971 a co worker asked a group of us to go with her to see her long time friend ,a singer.We never heard of Billy Joel but we went with her.

• Like 4