Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I tried baking slices of eggplant for a couple of minutes then freezing the baked slices but they were mushy when I defrosted.     do you know how to freeze either of these?

I don’t know much about eggplant and the last last two years I tried zucchini, bores got to the vines and destroyed them.  This year I had a few squash volunteers in the compost. So I have not frozen either.

Based solely on what I read on zucchini,  wash good, either dice or slice no smaller than 1/2 inch, blanch 1 to 3 minutes, if you blanch to long they go mushy.  After blanching, dry them off and spread them out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Freeze for 2 or 3 hours. Take them out and seal.  Freezing them before storing them will make it easier to separate out as much as you need later.  This works great when we freeze strawberries.

• Like 1

The boat in bottom photo is getting very close to those rocks.   I guess they know what they are doing but looks a little too close for me. 

I have not ever been north of San Francisco on the pacific coast but after seeing your beautiful photos of the Oregon coast I definitely want to visit this area. 

Yes, that's a scary rocky entrance.  If you watch this short YouTube video, they have aerial footage of the entrance area.  Does seem very narrow - which is how they advertise to be the smallest harbor in the world.  Must have steady hands during the high waves entrance/exit.

They have daily whale watching tours at $25/pp at the Harbor.  Much cheaper than the counterparts in Alaska.

Yes, Oregon is underrated as a tourist destination.  We couldn't see all the big named sites given the time constraint, but here's a list of the top things to do along the coast.

https://www.planetware.com/oregon/top-rated-attractions-and-things-to-do-on-the-oregon-coast-us-or-79.htm

If you fly in from PA into Portland and then head west along the coast, you can go into the CA side and check out the redwoods (I posted few pics just before this).  Then cut over back to I-5 to stay at Medford, Oregon to go and check out Crater Lake, which is more inland in Oregon and then loop back to Portland that way.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm waffling about getting one for my cruise. it's really cool but I'm worried about the learning curve this soon to my cruise. I may wait but there is no doubt it can do some amazing things.

I would assume the hardest part to learn would be the editing.  Maybe you could get it before the cruise, take the pics and videos and learn how to edit later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

72°C and sunny here 

We had a fantastic meal last night.

IMG_20210824_185557.jpg

IMG_20210824_191820.jpg

IMG_20210824_185535.jpg

The two of you always look so "spiffy" in your pictures!

8 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We're still working our way through Bosch.  Just finished season 4 last night.  Great show.  Will add The Defeated to our list for future viewing.  Thanks.

We're sad that the Series has come to an end.  We really enjoyed Bosch.

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Such an ungodly hour... I assume you're used to it, but me thinking about getting out and about in the winter, ohhh.

While doing my compulsory army service, I had to wake up by 5 AM. I'm still PTSD 😉

Do u have a long commute to the hospital?

Dani, how long was your compulsory army service, and at what age did you have to serve?  

Also, what kind of Winter do you have in Israel?  Please, pardon my ignorance.

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Corn Fritters for lunch.

20210825_125109.jpg

My mom made great corn fritters!!  Yum!!!

Yesterday I made turkey wraps with bacon and some homemade pesto I thought they were delicious, everyone at work thought I bought them somewhere and wanted to know the name of the restaurant.   Told them Debbie's Garden Kitchen. 

Ooh, turkey wraps with bacon and homemade pesto....my kind of wrap.  Sounds wonderful!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harryfat1 said:

Thanks for the compliment.  These are sample pictures from many years of travel.  Pre Covid, annually we would typically do one road trip driving to various parts of western US.  Then pair that with either a cruise or a Disney (land or World) trip.  So throughout the years, we have visited many big name sites.

I still have some South Dakota and Wyoming photos I didn’t post.  Too many pictures from all these years.

My wife has preference for rocks over trees but I would be remiss if I didn’t at least post some tree pictures that California is known for in the upper northwest part of the state.

IMG_2996_hq.thumb.JPG.7231e7a757f9de38e4c85eb7a5a20abb.JPG

IMG_3212_hq.thumb.jpg.2928188a1f0d31e1b6adb31053fae9c2.jpg

There's a stretch of the road called "Avenue of the Giants" where you see tall red woods along side of the road.  Just pull over anywhere and venture into the woods to explore

IMG_3107_hq.thumb.jpg.fe98a74c7ae633be9bba6824d49b2498.jpg

Numerous hiking trails

IMG_3047_hq.thumb.jpg.bfc0c845c61c73c94592d6f27a04397d.jpg

Tree fell over and this is the roots after many year on the side

IMG_3945_hq.thumb.JPG.6eb0b123fb05664cf90971965ae821ff.JPG

Here's the side view - can't even see the other end

P1080842_hq.thumb.JPG.b162cc5f79faefd9e12f80513891dd7c.JPG

They estimate this tree to be around 1,000 years old

IMG_3857_hq.thumb.JPG.8d4aef6605653bb86baf733edbff67c7.JPG

California Coast near Oregon border

743039405_IMG_3206(2)_hq.thumb.JPG.e72f32f6c41d2e8cb7b64038c54637a5.JPG

IMG_3777_hq.thumb.JPG.9e86ea2ce9e2da31d0a7d867b1d2ec7b.JPG

Gorgeous.  My husband and his brother were on this Avenue of trees a couple years ago.  Amazing!

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Celebrity has one in May 2022, don't see any others listed for 2022 or 2023.

• Day 1: San Diego - California
    • Tue May 03 2022 | Depart 04:00 PM
    • Day 2: Santa Barbara - California
    • Wed May 04 2022 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day 3: Catalina Island - California
    • Thu May 05 2022 | 08:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day 4: At Sea
    • Fri May 06 2022 |
    • Day 5: San Francisco - California
    • Sat May 07 2022 | Arrive 08:00 AM
    • Day 6: San Francisco - California
    • Sun May 08 2022 | Depart 05:00 PM
    • Day 7: At Sea
    • Mon May 09 2022 |
    • Day 8: Astoria - Oregon
    • Tue May 10 2022 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day 9: Seattle - Washington
    • Wed May 11 2022 | 11:00 AM To 09:00 PM
    • Day 10: Victoria - British Columbia
    • Thu May 12 2022 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day 11: Vancouver - British Columbia
    • Fri May 13 2022 | Arrive 07:00 AM

We were on Celebrity Infinity...............Funny I don't remember what cabin we had for the 1st leg but sure do remember the cabin we had on the Alaska Leg.  Corner aft. Cabin 8181 Family Veranda Class. The Balcony was amazing, almost as large as the room. Largest Balcony we have ever had on any cruise we have been on.

WOW.  Just WOW!

33 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

Yes, that's a scary rocky entrance.  If you watch this short YouTube video, they have aerial footage of the entrance area.  Does seem very narrow - which is how they advertise to be the smallest harbor in the world.  Must have steady hands during the high waves entrance/exit.

They have daily whale watching tours at $25/pp at the Harbor.  Much cheaper than the counterparts in Alaska.

Yes, Oregon is underrated as a tourist destination.  We couldn't see all the big named sites given the time constraint, but here's a list of the top things to do along the coast.

https://www.planetware.com/oregon/top-rated-attractions-and-things-to-do-on-the-oregon-coast-us-or-79.htm

If you fly in from PA into Portland and then head west along the coast, you can go into the CA side and check out the redwoods (I posted few pics just before this).  Then cut over back to I-5 to stay at Medford, Oregon to go and check out Crater Lake, which is more inland in Oregon and then loop back to Portland that way.

Maybe steady hands and not much common sense comes into play bringing your boat into that harbor. That's crazy !!😲

I can see coming into the harbor wouldn't be to bad the waves are going to help you come in, either great or smash you up against the rocks.............but really you must have to gun it leaving that harbor to get up and over the waves.......and then to go out and a storm to pop up...........and it get really rough, I see no way you can bring the boat back in, must be another nearby harbor they can go into if conditions aren't perfect for bring you home..

Edited by Jimbo

Not much going on here. New main level stackable washer and dryer were delivered yesterday but they have to come back Friday. The washer sadly was damaged. They have new ones in inventory though. 

81614773-6DC9-45D1-B369-523308433D0F.thumb.jpeg.9adac8f5a96274b86dfa8d31ebb699ec.jpeg

Owen had a soccer game last night as well. They were playing the second place team and we lost 4-1. Until last night that team’s “closest win” was 6-2 and they had two 16-0 wins already. Very respectful loss for our team. 

Meanwhile on the adjacent ball diamond, at the same time, Owen’s team lost 15-3 to a team below them in ranking. Owen found out later that the team just could not string anything together. He has two dual games this week. He will be supporting the ball team tomorrow night for the harder game, while his soccer team plays the bottom ranked team. 

Before the game I snapped some hay making action. Well oiled operation. 

87F6732E-7D0B-4C9E-B3E3-F41D110E0B46.thumb.jpeg.738ceba4c0715b8a6ca7a257b50d42b0.jpeg

The bales being loaded minutes after they were made. I could smell the inoculant being applied, but rain was on the radar.  

DD8EA003-A340-45BD-883F-3268C8A2439D.thumb.jpeg.13f876dfe2300878925b062fb3fd79da.jpeg

6FD18F65-6563-4682-BC5A-57BB97B430F5.thumb.jpeg.47935a823e7e555ea513e7bc68d6e843.jpeg

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

I am making notes and keeping these links in my travel folder for future use.  Thank you!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

One of the neighbor’s we shared tomatoes with just stopped by, told us she loved the tomatoes then handed us a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies!  They are soooo good!

That's really nice.  I give my neighbors a bunch of garden stuff too and the other day I was given a loaf of zucchini bread.  She always makes delicious breads.  I'm the only in my house that will eat so I put half in my freezer.

I love homemade chocolate chip cookies🤩

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Well worth the long drive.

Also here Maine Coons are in short supply.

I've posted this pic a few months ago, and I'm constantly going back to it.... This friend has a Dog de Bordeaux and a Big Dane.... a whole "menagerie" in a big house.

Just yesterday my friend posted a pic of his youngest daughter with her 2 Maine Coons. He has 10 cats and 3 dogs....

Maine Coon.jpg

Simply adorable, both the cats and your friend’s daughter.

• Thanks 1

Nothing special today, since we had rain on and off.  We started out our day singing happy birthday to our California grandson, since today is his actual birthday. We did manage to get out for a nature walk today, and found these three.  They must be getting use to people, because you can almost walk up to them. 

FA6CF939-7AA0-4B4B-A517-B073174EC93B.thumb.jpeg.82b155c2a36bc7b4f0d76c02f417a6ed.jpeg

Speaking of young animals, this is the third family of robins we have had in the same spot this year.  First flight expected next week. 

81FA96DA-A3AA-45C4-9FDA-15428C7435C9.thumb.jpeg.300b6a42b3768bb421cf3702307717c8.jpeg

Mama robin is keeping a close eye on them. 

12B6A962-D259-458B-8B4D-F1F7C52F5A85.thumb.jpeg.db0f3665569067df9ef07b35d7380e42.jpeg

During the rain, grandson put together an almost 1,000 piece lego roller coaster set.  This was about 15 minutes in. 

E95D28D1-1832-429F-89CA-825F72BBCC5F.thumb.jpeg.b217a0bebd1aab8782b7c96e3e2c466f.jpeg

Tonight was Mexican for us.  

676FC9E4-2E9A-4FF4-888A-BEE72E126750.thumb.jpeg.eff67b1f4759c5068529338e3a60c2f0.jpeg

A couple margaritas just might have found their way to me. 

C11DD985-E58E-4BA1-8074-4A208A71233A.thumb.jpeg.24a571c4b33279eae8b1a85b718392f0.jpeg

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Maybe you could get it before the cruise, take the pics and videos and learn how to edit later.

I have thought of that and I may do it. I really want to do a good review but I also don't want to work so hard at it that I don't have any fun. Decisions....decisions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I have thought of that and I may do it. I really want to do a good review but I also don't want to work so hard at it that I don't have any fun. Decisions....decisions.

I just wing most of my reviews😉

• Like 3

10 hours ago, George C said:

Has anyone seen the defeated on Netflix it is a very adult gritty, violent  show that takes place in Berlin in 1946. I thought cast was very good , there is 8 episodes.

Just started watching tonight. Very intense and good. I really like the plot as it's different and refreshing. You got me hooked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe steady hands and not much common sense comes into play bringing your boat into that harbor. That's crazy !!😲

I can see coming into the harbor wouldn't be to bad the waves are going to help you come in, either great or smash you up against the rocks.............but really you must have to gun it leaving that harbor to get up and over the waves.......and then to go out and a storm to pop up...........and it get really rough, I see no way you can bring the boat back in, must be another nearby harbor they can go into if conditions aren't perfect for bring you home..

Your comments got me searching the YouTube for videos of ships going into the Bay.

Per Google Map, US Coast Guard has a station right inside the bay, so I guess they are stationed there.

Check out this video of them trying to go in during less than perfect sea conditions

If it’s not bad enough to go in on your own, try towing someone in.  You get to see it from the boat’s perspective on what it looks like – better be ready for that turn to the left (port) side

This ship is not as fortunate

Or this Kayaker being rescued

Tsunami damage from 10 years ago

• Like 3