Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

47 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Which takes us back again to my one post...how long will all this music endure? Everytime I prepare my church organ preludes by Bach, Mozart, etc. it gets me to thinking about pop music longevity as opposed to some of those classical periods. 

Some times I'm surprised just how many of today's kids enjoy listening to the Beatles or Motown and some of those songs are approaching 60 years old.

To put it in perspective, when I was their age in the 1970's, I certainly did not listen to 1910's music.  So depending on the artist, yes, some of today's (i.e. our lifetime) pop music will stand the test of time.

EDIT TO ADD: My last music class I took in high school (circa 1980), in addition to studying Mozart, Bach, etc, we studied The Who's TOMMY as it was considered the first rock opera.  I wonder if that is still part of the curriculum?

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Some times I'm surprised just how many of today's kids enjoy listening to the Beatles or Motown and some of those songs are approaching 60 years old.

To put it in perspective, when I was their age in the 1970's, I certainly did not listen to 1910's music.  So depending on the artist, yes, some of today's (i.e. our lifetime) pop music will stand the test of time.

EDIT TO ADD: My last music class I took in high school (circa 1980), in addition to studying Mozart, Bach, etc, we studied The Who's TOMMY as it was considered the first rock opera.  I wonder if that is still part of the curriculum?

I think Dylan, Beatles and Motown songs will be around forever same as songs from the 1920’s from Berlin and Gershwin which I hear every week at our favorite club/restaurant 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

Okay. I have been properly chastised for my comment. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

Don't sweat it. Everyone gets chastised online at least once. 🙃  If not, then they are doing something wrong.  😁

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

So what was your first computer? And what did you do when you first went online? 

My first home computer? It was a DELL (not to be confused with the singer), one of their tall, beige tower computers with a giant 17 inch CRT monitor that took up half of my desk. I want to say I purchased it in mid-1990's (94-96), online from work, and it could have been customized a dozen different ways. I spent extra for larger monitor, printer, and faster Pentium chip but skimped on memory and on the CD drive (read only, not write so I couldn't "rip" CD's with stolen music from Napster). Oh, I think I spent more to get the 56.6K modem but my phone company only gave me speeds up to 33K so that was a waste of money.  A couple of years later, we went to high speed cable.  The first "chat" room or bulletin  board I joined was a hockey site.

My first computer experience was in 1982 was at a local community college taking courses in Computer Programming (as App Developers / Systems Engineers were called back then) and my first "real" job in the corporate world working on an IBM mainframe several years later.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, island lady said:

So funny...comfort food for sure!  😄  Bucky's favorite...😋

Bummer about the SS office.  Luckily I have been able to handle all things related to Social Security online...and one frustrated phone call with plenty of "hold time".  Have never stepped foot inside a Social Security office.  The thought makes me cringe.  😳

Have been to the SS office once and hope to never go back. It was years ago. We had to go through a medal detector, wanded and everything searched. No food or drinks allowed and the employees sit behind thick glass. All of this to get a replacement card.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, George C said:

I think Dylan, Beatles and Motown songs will be around forever same as songs from the 1920’s from Berlin and Gershwin which I hear every week at our favorite club/restaurant 

Agree. RC needs to replace the Disco crap with '60s and '70s Motown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The first computer my parents got for us was in 1977 or 78 was an Apple.  My Brother was real big into computers so I hardly got to use it and I was 11 yrs old then so when i did get on it i remember playing space invaders.  

The first i bought was from Circuit City around 1988 and used to do the old dial up for AOL chatrooms.   I cannot remember what model it was.  I also used for a side job I had with typing for the postal union office that my Father was on the board.

Fyi, I still use my very first aol email address🤩

A few short years ago when I was laid off from my job and started looking for employment, an employment counselor told me to ditch the aol email since it's like I'm wearing a sign that proclaims "I am over 50".  I still have my aol email but created a gmail account for job searches.  Biggest discrimination in the job market is age.😒

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Me too, when will people stop making fun of that 😞

My 30 something daughter smirks that I still use my aol email.

• Like 5

I remember Wang word processors and Word Perfect. I'm pretty sure we had "The Way Things Work" cd rom. And I think most of us had Encarta. And all the computer games were amazing.  

We still use our original email address. It is a pacbell email, even though Pacific Bell has been incorporated with AT&T for many years. 

It is amazing how far computers have progressed in a relatively short time. :classic_smile: It is interesting to read everyone's experiences. 

• Like 3

With all the SS talk I am thinking someone might be able to answer a question or two.  I am highly considering starting my SS soon.  I plan to do it online.  If you apply on line does it give you an option to choose when the first payment  starts or do they look at the application and it starts automatically after they approve it.  I have been putting off applying so it doesn’t start right away.  I have a ss account opened already.  It gives estimates on how much I will draw.  If my research is correct the estimates at this time does not include the 5.9% COL. It sounds like that will not be included in the estimates and payments until after December.  Sound correct?

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

No doubt, Dylan is a great song writer, especially for his time.  I do wonder if he was to come out in today's day & age, would his songs resonate??  As a singer,  well, that's like arguing who has better pizza.  I guess I just singers when you can understand the words. 

The Beatles are timeless.  As are many love songs. 

I believe that there will always be a following for Dylan as there will always be a following for Manilow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Happy Birthday to Charlie.

Sometimes you only tell half the story. So who was she?

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Happy Birthday to Charlie.

Sometimes you only tell half the story. So who was she?

Her name is Gloria.She is still around.I was not aware that I only tell half stories.

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Again, Lenny, music is subjective.  If some prefer Justin Bieber to John Lennon, that is their choice.  I personally think Bob Dylan's raspy voice is not pleasing to listen to at all and I think Barry surpasses him as a singer no matter what Barry would say himself.   Just my own perception.  Barry never wanted to be a singer but only wanted to write music.  Barry Manilow's music "talks" to me which is funny, because he usually writes the music, not the lyrics.  So, I would rather attend a Manilow concert than a Dylan concert any day.  

He looks like a chipmunk. 

Oh gosh, first computer was a Dell PC which I THINK was purchased very late 90s.  I couldn't understand the concept of emails since I could pick up a phone to call my friends. 

My daughter did lots of homework assignments using online encyclopedia Encarta.

A "real world" friend asked me to join her in a <gasp> chat room.  There I met a wonderful group of people from around the country.  We would meet annually in Las Vegas for the best gatherings ever.  I used to "talk" to the REAL Linda Richman of SNL Mike Myers "Cawfee Tawk" fame.  She was a hoot and I met her in Ft. Worth when she gave a talk about her life.  What a lady AND she looks and sounds just like the Mike Myers imitation of her.  We got close enough to chat on the phone and she used to give me wonderful gossipy Hollywood tidbits since her daughter at that time was married to Mike Myers.

That is fine Bonnie.There are thousands of singers on the planet .My cousin,the singer Marilyn Michael’s once said there are enough singers and singing styles for everyone to appreciate.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

My 30 something daughter smirks that I still use my aol email.

Your 65 something CC buddy smirked when he read this.  😆 A long time ago I started a website.  I shut it down a couple years ago.  The main reason I left it open so long is because I liked the email function it provided.  I had at least 50 separate email accounts.  For instance, when setting up a CC account I would make a new email account like CC@website.com.  When I ordered from Amazon I made Amazon@website.com.  This helped me see who sold my email account to spammers and it was easy to block.  When I closed it down I opened a new Gmail account and changed the old email accounts to the new Gmail account.  That was a challenge.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Just trying to catch up here.  I would love to be on the 70's music charter cruise.  I know you've talked about those cruises before and mentioned all the artists that were on them.  Would love to be on a cruise with them.  

Was at a Styx concert a few years ago.  It was only with Dennis DeYoung, the group's co-founder, lead singer and keyboardist.  It was fantastic concert.  Fleetwood Mac concert a couple years ago was outstanding.  I love Neil Diamond and been to several of his concerts and it might be that he is getting up there in age but at the last concert, instead of singing his songs, he would just say the words.  And he talked a lot.  You kind of just wanted him to sing.

A song popped into my head yesterday by another classic group, Moody Blues- Question.  Profound lyrics. Another is Nights In White Satin. 

Nights in White Satin and Stairway to Heaven are great songs.Every July 4 weekend a NYC radio station plays the best 500 classic rock songs of all time.

I tried compiling a list but find more than 500 songs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I always thought the Moody Blues were very underrated.  

Love Styx.  Dennis DeYoung had an album called "10 on Broadway". Yes, it's classic Broadway show tunes, sung brilliantly by a brilliant vocalist. 

I saw and had the opportunity to talk to Denny Laine at Hippiefest 2008.

• Like 1

Just now, davekathy said:

Out of all the Dylan songs I only have four or five I really like. "Lay Lady Lay" (1969) is my all time favorite. 

Blowin' In the Wind is good... when sung by anyone other that Dylan. I also, for some reason, really like You Ain't Goin' Nowhere. I think more just the sound of it as the lyrics are somewhat strange.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

With all the SS talk I am thinking someone might be able to answer a question or two.  I am highly considering starting my SS soon.

I seem to remember that Pat ( @island lady) had some good advice re: when to start SS.... something along the lines of "when is your birthday"...

May be she could chime in?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Blowin' In the Wind is good... when sung by anyone other that Dylan. I also, for some reason, really like You Ain't Goin' Nowhere. I think more just the sound of it as the lyrics are somewhat strange.

I know the song. The first time I heard it was in '68 or '69 and the Byrds sang it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

Not quite what you're asking, but my first job in 1973 was as a junior secretary for ICL(International Computers Ltd).

The computer room took up the whole first floor of the office block.  They were huge floor to ceiling Computers and operated by the very cool computer operators. Unfortunately I was working with the programmers, I didn't understand a word of what I was typing,  it was way over my head.

I think our first computer was a compaq, probably in the early '90s

We used it mainly as a word processor with some games for the kids like Dorling Kindersley 'Castle explorer' and 'The way things work' on CD rom

The first job I had where there were huge computers was in 1969.

• Like 2