Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Glad I could contribute. I really have become a fan. The whole Kraken myth and legend of this sea monster makes it even more interesting. It helps that this dark spiced rum is really good and can really enhance any rum based cocktail.

Yes I do remember. It’s a great name. I never knew what a kraken meant till I researched it.

I’m on the hunt for some of the collector bottles. This is there ceramic one.4AE3CA7D-8A05-4502-87E4-89EA3A89D55B.thumb.jpeg.699ffcfd52fe8f7c7adcad0999186641.jpeg

And their deep sea edition.

https://caskcartel.com/products/the-kraken-black-spiced-deep-sea-bioluminescence-rum-700ml?variant=40854128918666&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw2f-VBhAsEiwAO4lNeL4UW5zR58jvEqwNwoQB21jXbaAd1FA7JfWuy_F4gvglFreMXZgXXRoCG_sQAvD_BwE

The bottle with the blue color looks really cool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

@dani negreanuI am so sorry to read about your experience on this ship.  You were so excited with anticipation for this cruise and it ended up being one bad thing after another.  It's surprising that on a brand new ship, after all the hype, that it felt cold and soulless and the food was below standard.  

I had a similar wire story.  One time on my first meal in the WJ on embarkation day, I found a wire in my food.  I showed it to one of the head managers.  He was apologetic and asked & jotted down my cabin number.  Later, a platter of chocolate covered strawberries showed up in my room.  That was it.  I still have the wire.  I wrapped it up and kept it as a souvenir and a conversation piece.

As for Captain Kate, how disappointing that she didn't have time for you.  Did she come off as a warm and friendly person or just the opposite?

I hope you had a good time at the ports anyway and that you are fully recovered from Covid now.

Getting a plate of strawberries as an apology for the wire would have just served to make me angry... in other words.... pissed me off.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

What is a 5 way? 

It's Cincinnati style chili.  The basic order is a 3-way...a plate of spaghetti with chili and then topped by a lot of cheese.  Three ingredients.  You can make it a 4-way by adding either onions or kidney beans.  You make it a 5-way by adding both the onions and the beans.  I don't want the onions on mine so I order a 4-way with beans...aka 4-way bean.  You can now order like a local at Skyline.

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

And is it like a 3 way??😇🤣

I thought I read that the Carnival fight was because the 3-way happened without the significant other(s), who later found out.  If they had just gone with a 5-way and included the SOs, the fight could have been avoided.  I'm told there are charter cruises that specialize in that.

• Haha 13

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

We’ve spent the weekend relaxing indoors to due to weather warnings for the East Coast including Sydney that have been in place since Friday afternoon.  Heavy rain both days plus winds today.  Manly, Taronga Zoo & Mosman ferries were cancelled due to swell and there are evacuations in place in the flood prone areas of Sydney.  This will continue for the next two days.  Thankful we live in an elevated area and that we have no need to travel any distance.

I was reading down to the end of the posts and then was going to ask if you were ok.
It’s 8:36am Sunday here, and first thing I do  before reading the newspaper is read the news on a local station’s website. Just to make sure the world is ok. 
And there was Sydney, again with the heavy rain and flooding. 
This time they said just because you were safe last time, don’t assume you will be this time. 
So, aussielozzie, stay safe! 
I hope the rain has stopped before the flooding hit too bad. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Gary's pot at the back of photo is plain tea, mine is chamomile tea 

Dick’s Scottish Gramp drank cambric tea every night. 
Hot water with milk in it. Dick drinks it when he’s  starting a cold and has that chilly out of sorts feeling. Swears it makes him feel better!

• Like 3

@sgmn That hallway on the Beyond would have given me vertigo. It seems that a good amount of decor on the Edge class ships are design (?) over comfort.

When the Edge first began sailing, many posters were critical of the Kelly Hoppen-I think I recall the designer’s name correctly-design of the ship. The furniture was uncomfortable,decorations in the cabins were superfluous and took up needed space and the open veranda cabins had limitations.

We have taken cruises to Bermuda on the Summit and have enjoyed those cruises as the ship is comfortable for us.

I have no desire to be on an Edge class ship. It is unfortunate that Celebrity has chosen to go in the design direction that makes passengers feel uncomfortable or at least scratching their heads- ie the sculpture of the white elephant on the pool deck.

Thank you for your post. I am wishing youand your DH good travel moments in the days ahead.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@sgmn That hallway on the Beyond would have given me vertigo. It seems that a good amount of decor on the Edge class ships are design (?) over comfort.

When the Edge first began sailing, many posters were critical of the Kelly Hoppen-I think I recall the designer’s name correctly-design of the ship. The furniture was uncomfortable,decorations in the cabins were superfluous and took up needed space and the open veranda cabins had limitations.

We have taken cruises to Bermuda on the Summit and have enjoyed those cruises as the ship is comfortable for us.

I have no desire to be on an Edge class ship. It is unfortunate that Celebrity has chosen to go in the design direction that makes passengers feel uncomfortable or at least scratching their heads- ie the sculpture of the white elephant on the pool deck.

Thank you for your post. I am wishing youand your DH good travel moments in the days ahead.

MJ🙋🏻

Yes there's a lot of talk on Celebrity's page about some of the uncomfortable design features on Beyond. Whilst there is some strange designs, I think a lot is for the instergram generation but there is also some good features and interesting sculptures. One good thing I liked IMO they have put better use to the lawn area. It's more islands of plants now with comfortable shaded seating areas so you can watch the outdoor movies or just relax. The infinity pools are good too

Thank you for you kind good wishes, no more holidays on the horizon unfortunately.  Was hoping we could squeeze in a trip on Anthem before she goes back stateside but it depends on family commitments. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I do remember. It’s a great name. I never knew what a kraken meant till I researched it.

I’m on the hunt for some of the collector bottles. This is there ceramic one.4AE3CA7D-8A05-4502-87E4-89EA3A89D55B.thumb.jpeg.699ffcfd52fe8f7c7adcad0999186641.jpeg

And their deep sea 

That bottle looks nice too.  We all may turn into bottle collectors.   😆 

Same here on researching the name. I didn't know it was a huge octopus that attacted ships in fiction books.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

What is a 5 way? 

The signature dish is spaghetti covered with the original secret-recipe chili and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. That's a 3-way. A 4-way is a 3-Way with diced onions or beans added. A 5-way adds both.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The signature dish is spaghetti covered with the original secret-recipe chili and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. That's a 3-way. A 4-way is a 3-Way with diced onions or beans added. A 5-way adds both.

I thought there was chocolate involved somewhere. 

53 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I thought there was chocolate involved somewhere. 

Chocolate is sometimes part of the chili recipe, as is cinnamon.  People in many other parts of the country (like Texas) would probably laugh at calling it chili.  It's based on a stew that greek immigrants made in the early 1900s so it's more watery than a typical chili.  You dumped all of the ingredients, including the broken up ground beef, into a pot of water and bring to a boil.  They called it chili so that it would sell better in the US.  Serving it over spaghetti was just a cheap way to put more food on the plate.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

As for the wire, I would have demanded an abdominal flat plate x-ray. That would have showed any wire that was ingested and may have provided some relief from the worry. A wire could gave caused significant issues.

That's it.

I wish I had the presence d'esprit to ask for it immediately... and save us the worry of a perforated intestine. Of course, Celebrity should have offered it too !!!

I'm feeling better. 70% of my usual self. DH, somehow, managed to stay out of "it" 😟

Wishing everyone a joyful 4th of July celebration  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

That art display symbolizes the future and appeals to the younger generation.  Sadly , the mirrors and reflections  reminds me of Yad Vashem which is not their intention.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday about how Viking and Cunard want to disassociate themselves from the word cruising . Viking is now Viking Voyages and Cunard has adopted crossings instead of cruising .  They are emphasizing destinations instead of huge family oriented ships. 

Find your niche and enjoy ! 

image.jpeg

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Getting a plate of strawberries as an apology for the wire would have just served to make me angry... in other words.... pissed me off.

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm pissed off just reading about it.

You're right.  I didn't get much satisfaction or good answer for that incident.  I think I would've been more upset had I dug into my plate of food more.  I had just started when I found it so I know I didn't ingest any other pieces.  But still, I know.  I didn't want this to ruin my vacation so I just let it go.  I didn't eat the strawberries though.

Now for a really unnerving story was one time when I was out with friends at Cheesecake Factory, I ordered a salad.  Their portions are huge so I ate half and took the other half home.  The next day as I was eating the leftover, I see this strange thing in my salad.  I took it out, couldn't figure out what it was.  Then after I studied it really carefully, it looked to me like the top part of a rubber kitchen food prep glove!  Some cook must've ripped his glove off while preparing the salad and it tore apart and he didn't know he left part of it in the food!  Then I thought there could have been other parts of the glove in there that I didn't see but ate the night before.  That right there pissed me off.  I called the company right away.  But it took so many calls and managers to iron this out.  In the end, they sent me a gift card.  I just really wanted them to know that they (the kitchen) have to be more careful with how they handle their food prep, etc.

Moral of the story, really really inspect before digging into your food.  Put smaller portion onto your fork for you never know what foreign object might be hidden in that bite.  I now wear my reading glasses when I eat so I can see clearly exactly what I'm eating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Brad Meltzers uncle Richie and I are longtime friends.

Lenny,  I am absolutely amazed at how well connected you are.
You should write some kind of memoirs/notes....something like that, for your grandchildren.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NHProud said:

We stayed at the Condado Beach hotel in 1995 and our friends were booked at the La Concha which was so bad they didn’t want to stay one night but were unable to find a room at another hotel.  Bring earplugs because the tiny coqui frogs are very noisy.    

I'm sorry to hear that about La Concha.  Of course, it has been 51 years since I had been there.  Actually, 51 years this month!  (how is it even possible?)

• Like 3