Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Well, after fighting for three weeks to beat Covid, my 98 yr old Aunt died early this morning.  She lived in the memory care unit of an assisted living facility that had been Covid free for over ten months.  Unfortunately, a new admission to memory care tested positive three days after admission.  Since that time, fourteen residents have tested positive and now six have died, my Aunt being the latest.  They expect more to pass as it has hit them hard.

Very difficult on my Mom since she was not able to go say goodbye.  They told her she could go in but she decided that it did not make sense to possibly expose herself, which we totally supported her in her decision as she is in her 80's.

All of these residents, except the new admission, received their first vaccine on January 15th but the new admission came in on January 11th, so many were likely already exposed at the time of their vaccines.  Second vaccines were supposed to happen last Friday, but most were too sick or still in their quarantine period to get the second shot.

Don't let your guard done and get your shots as soon as you can.

So very sorry for you loss.  

And all the others too.  You would think the nursing homes would put new admissions in quarantine for 10+ days to prevent something like this happening.

I plan on getting my vaccine as soon I am eligible and able to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.  

It is very sad, the facility worked very hard to keep the virus out for over ten months.  The independent living and assisted living areas are still covid free since the memory care unit is a locked, separate facility.  Those in memory care do not understand distancing and it is hard for them to wear masks, so once the virus got in there, it spread.  They tried to have them stay in their rooms, but they would come out because they don't remember they were supposed to stay there.  

Very sad.  I'm sure the family of the new resident feels horrible too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So very sorry for you loss.  

And all the others too.  You would think the nursing homes would put new admissions in quarantine for 10+ days to prevent something like this happening.

I plan on getting my vaccine as soon I am eligible and able to do so.

New admissions in independent living and assisted living are required to quarantine in there apartments for two weeks upon admission.  Memory Care tries to have them quarantine in their rooms for two weeks but those with memory issues and dementia don't remember they have to stay in their rooms and they like to walk around all the time.  My Aunt used to try to leave the unit and would set off the alarms 🙂  There had been inhouse transfers from assisted living to memory care over the last ten months but this was the first outside admission that we are aware of into memory care.  The had outside admissions into the other areas but those were able to quarantine.  The facility has Zoom calls with the families each week, so we had an idea of what was up.  The person supposedly quarantined wherever they came from for two weeks and tested negative on admission, but positive three days later.  It was a poor choice by management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Very sad.  I'm sure the family of the new resident feels horrible too.

I have no idea if the family of the new resident even knows what has happened as the woman died within a week of admission.  They were never on any of the Zoom calls as far as I know, so they might have no idea unless they have heard the outbreak in the news conferences of the Governor.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

A few pics from today. Gifts to be opened. 

75BF1E2A-98CA-40BE-B5C9-3C281F1945F8.thumb.jpeg.d148c427c80c953ecce7956e63c25843.jpeg

Table set. 

1B3C7E61-6AB7-42E3-AD74-3E64A0C19BD9.thumb.jpeg.a0b053a604b07654b1dcc4edcd03167b.jpeg

Steak BBQ, and it wasn’t even snowing but enough on the ground. 

40DA42F2-B572-4F98-B1DF-E71A5686AEE8.thumb.jpeg.68fba5bf369ddbfbe3e4cd40bb802383.jpeg

Cake soon to be eaten. There are two more. 😋

0B63BFA2-5952-44D5-AA8C-05E00919C690.thumb.jpeg.1e97ead52051369dd04951ad1aa19ddd.jpeg

Looks delicious.  I would personally skip the steak and potatoes and dive right into the deserts.   I love cheesecake and oreos.  

• Like 3

Well, after fighting for three weeks to beat Covid, my 98 yr old Aunt died early this morning.  She lived in the memory care unit of an assisted living facility that had been Covid free for over ten months.  Unfortunately, a new admission to memory care tested positive three days after admission.  Since that time, fourteen residents have tested positive and now six have died, my Aunt being the latest.  They expect more to pass as it has hit them hard.

Very difficult on my Mom since she was not able to go say goodbye.  They told her she could go in but she decided that it did not make sense to possibly expose herself, which we totally supported her in her decision as she is in her 80's.

All of these residents, except the new admission, received their first vaccine on January 15th but the new admission came in on January 11th, so many were likely already exposed at the time of their vaccines.  Second vaccines were supposed to happen last Friday, but most were too sick or still in their quarantine period to get the second shot.

Don't let your guard done and get your shots as soon as you can.

So sorry for your family.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Like I said sometimes it's how it is, if I told you even a few things my sister has said you would say the same  but I blame my mom for spoiling her. She also has a 80 iq. She and bil got a dog, who had cancer and in so much pain he had to have the dog put down. She went around at church, senior center, saying he was a dog killer, because he didnt immediately go out and get her another dog. He told my mom she threw her wedding ring at him and said he didnt love her. She has manipulation down to a T, but if anything happened to him, guess who is stuck taking care of her. She cant make change for $1 and does nothing for herself, he does all the work. 

How about when my mom sent her to me when she couldnt handle her, and she went next door and told my neighbor he got her pregnant. Every guy I brought home she cuddled up to and tried to give him her phone #, she is a delight, but no one yelled, they just acted appalled but she never got yelled at.

That's where I'm coming from. Someone who doesnt have the ability at this time to act right or talk right. ..i know ugly but helpless to stop it. That's why i asked if the sister was a adult mentally. I've spent my whole life dealing with someone making terrible comments. I so dread I cant tell you the thought I might have to be her only caregiver. Sometimes life gives you someone in your family who is inappropriate. I've argued with my mom over her spoiling my sister but my mom cant stop herself.i cant change either of them. I moved away from my family 3 times, if you dont understand how hard it was on me.

After your parents have passed, and especially if your bil passes, the state would have to step in if/when you relocate to Florida. They have so many programs, different types of caseworkers, handicap job programs, adult daycare facilities, you could get loose. And really, the staff who get paid to deal with such folks can do so without the emotional toll it's taking in you. Maybe a good reason to one day move to Florida. Anybody who has not walked in your shoes has no right to judge, imo.

• Like 5

We decided to drive to our favorite restaurant , it was coldest day I have ever seen in Dallas, wind chill was below zero , had a 5 course meal but wanted to get home before snow got to heavy, so we had two appetizers there, a cold lobster mixed with mango and oysters Rockefeller then got rest to go. Was over a inch of snow on car in the hour we were there.

• Like 5

A couple gifts pics.

These are eternity roses, they literally last a year.  A small one for the master bath. 

65643C7D-D127-4313-A5C7-841910EEF8DA.thumb.jpeg.1a0f44e29b7e8ed9b0ebaa0e6222393c.jpeg

A larger display for downstairs. 

7D4FB818-3D21-4E55-A20C-A1D48E33BC39.thumb.jpeg.e2c86724f91a0c4ec6bda3f95427cd87.jpeg

And the large gift was a photo... memories of Barbados.  Also of memories to come, hopefully sooner than later.  In the meantime I have a job tomorrow on the Holiday Monday, hang said photo. 

14580C1F-CDF8-4B2C-BAD2-C67E9C0ACF78.thumb.jpeg.9ea81a5ec77d4314675e8f533351b311.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

large gift was a photo... memories of Barbados.  Also of memories to come, hopefully sooner than later.  In the meantime I have a job tomorrow on the Holiday Monday, hang said photo. 

14580C1F-CDF8-4B2C-BAD2-C67E9C0ACF78.thumb.jpeg.9ea81a5ec77d4314675e8f533351b311.jpeg

I've been doing big photos on aluminum and acrylic. Really easy to hang with velcro tape 

The family pics and Cocoa Beach sunrise that shows up occasionally in house pics are examples

• Like 2

Had a lovely fajita lunch yesterday. 

This is half an order

20210213_174150.thumb.jpg.e5420b6dceac5a51d74727466cbddcd6.jpg

So annoyed that I can no longer consistently orient a picture. 

Hope it's ok to use orient for orientation, or is there a new less colonial word I'm not up to date on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Congratulations, Renee 😊🌹

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Our Valentine dinner was grilled cheese and tomato soup...that I made!

That sounds so good. I love tomato soup.

1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

After your parents have passed, and especially if your bil passes, the state would have to step in if/when you relocate to Florida. They have so many programs, different types of caseworkers, handicap job programs, adult daycare facilities, you could get loose. And really, the staff who get paid to deal with such folks can do so without the emotional toll it's taking in you. Maybe a good reason to one day move to Florida. Anybody who has not walked in your shoes has no right to judge, imo.

That's what I was thinking. Someone else that won't put up with her bs and let her get away with it. The emotions can definitely play a big part of it especially since she is aa master manipulator. Firefly I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your sister.

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Renee, beautiful is all I can say😍

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

A couple gifts pics.

These are eternity roses, they literally last a year.  A small one for the master bath. 

65643C7D-D127-4313-A5C7-841910EEF8DA.thumb.jpeg.1a0f44e29b7e8ed9b0ebaa0e6222393c.jpeg

A larger display for downstairs. 

7D4FB818-3D21-4E55-A20C-A1D48E33BC39.thumb.jpeg.e2c86724f91a0c4ec6bda3f95427cd87.jpeg

And the large gift was a photo... memories of Barbados.  Also of memories to come, hopefully sooner than later.  In the meantime I have a job tomorrow on the Holiday Monday, hang said photo. 

That picture is beautiful as are the roses also.

40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

This is half an order

Hope it's ok to use orient for orientation, or is there a new less colonial word I'm not up to date on.

For food the orientation isn't a big deal because it's hard to tell if it's sideways or upside down unless there is a drink in the picture. 🍹 BTW, the fajitas look yummy.

3 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

My parents have a living trust to take care of her. I'm trustee, it falls on me to take care of her. 

The state only steps in if there is no money. Maybe it's easier to imagine if you arent me, idk, but nothing is this easy as you paint it. I actually am thinking she would move with me. Who knows. I dont. Life is one step at a time.

I try and not think about it. Right now both she and bil are very sick with covid. ..and I try to think of happier things. Cant dwell on it.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Life is one step at a time.

Then just say thank you for the kind advice and move on. :classic_tongue: You don't have to be disagreeable. Or just tap one of the buttons. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

This is half an order

That guacamole sure especially looks good. Wish I had some. 

9 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I think she was just explaining how things are.

Maybe the duties as trustee could be signed over to a bank, for a fee of course. My husband and I have talked about using a bank as executor upon our deaths, because we have no realistic options. The bank would afterward manage a modest trust fund for our daughters. Just an idea.