Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Huh. I was taught 10 and 2 but my kids were taught 9 and 3. Never knew why that changed. No airbags when I learned to drive. 

Oh!  I really have learned something today.  Broken wrists would be a disaster with my state of bones.  Not that I am driving anywhere for a while.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

No ABS for me let alone air bags, had to manually pump the brakes to stop the sliding skid on ice and snow.  The positive was no traction control, so one could donut in the lot with the easiest of effort. 

I still fondly remember my father taking me to an empty shopping mall parking lot that was covered with snow and teach me to skid, steer, do donuts, etc in slippery conditions.  It REALLY helped prepare me for driving on snow covered roads in Buffalo with rear wheel drive and no ABS. Different now with FWD/AWD, ABS, and traction control.

• Like 4

School buses were cancelled for Owen and practically all of SW Ontario today.  

Just came in from feeding Lucy and its windy, cold, snowy and deep heavy drifts. Probably the best move for the kids today. After being outside for 20 minutes outside with insulated coveralls and multiple layers my finger tips were cold and face was very cold to the touch. 

Looking at the newly hanging beach photo right now day dreaming. SIGH. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a balmy -1 F here. Seems the problem with Texas power grid is they get 25% of the power from wind, and the wind turbines have frozen.

I finally talked to my mom last night about 8 pm, she had had 2 black outs but was finally back up. I tried to tell her how to make calls from the flip phone but in one ear out the other.

My bil went yesterday to check into the hospital for covid. Breathing issues. I knew he should be in the hospital so glad he went. Hope he starts improving. 

One more round of snow tonight, then things start improving.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I still fondly remember my father taking me to an empty shopping mall parking lot that was covered with snow and teach me to skid, steer, do donuts, etc in slippery conditions.  It REALLY helped prepare me for driving on snow covered roads in Buffalo with rear wheel drive and no ABS. Different now with FWD/AWD, ABS, and traction control.

Love it.

When our  DD was turning 16 in December years ago we started her getting some driving experience.

With her temporary permit we started he driving in the early morning or late evening at our church parking lot, it is big.

Once she got the handle of the car.....mine....a Ford Explorer, we moved up to cemeteries where the speed limit was 10mph.

I guess my subliminal  where pray or your going to end up here if you do not drive safe.

She did well and was excited to start driving.

That Explorer became her first car and she drove it till the transmission went on the Ohio Turnpike coming home from college.  The car was happy doing 70mph. but getting it to that speed was a grinding pain.

Take care

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I guess my subliminal  where pray or your going to end up here if you do not drive safe.

Wish I'd though of that when teaching my daughters. 😄  I used a large high school parking lot for them.  Plenty of room plus "roads" marked on the asphalt, parking spots, etc.

• Like 2

It was 0 last night in Dallas.  Millions without power in Texas.  We are one of the lucky with it on but our tankless water heater has frozen.  No hot water and down to half the faucets in the house with cold water.   No water in the toilets so get to fill the tank by hand.  No shower since Sunday.  More snow tonight and tomorrow and not until Friday will we start to thaw.  Then of course is the worry that pipes have burst and we’ll have a big bill on our hands as we thaw.  The water shut off is buried outside in the snow so that will be fun too. I’m a nurse and go to work on Thursday a.m. next so need to heat water on the stove to clean up. 

We are from Nebraska originally so we can handle snow and cold.  But frozen pipes and power outages are new to us.  We have a gas stove and fireplace so not too worried about freezing.  The pipes are another issue altogether.

Where is the warmer winters we moved here for?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

50°F here now.

The snow has gone and the sun is shining.

Pauline working from home downstairs so I am upstairs ringing a few customers and watching the home buying program A Place In The Sun on HGTV.

So glad that you're getting some weather relief!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

It was 0 last night in Dallas.  Millions without power in Texas.  We are one of the lucky with it on but our tankless water heater has frozen.  No hot water and down to half the faucets in the house with cold water.   No water in the toilets so get to fill the tank by hand.  No shower since Sunday.  More snow tonight and tomorrow and not until Friday will we start to thaw.  Then of course is the worry that pipes have burst and we’ll have a big bill on our hands as we thaw.  The water shut off is buried outside in the snow so that will be fun too. I’m a nurse and go to work on Thursday a.m. next so need to heat water on the stove to clean up. 

We are from Nebraska originally so we can handle snow and cold.  But frozen pipes and power outages are new to us.  We have a gas stove and fireplace so not too worried about freezing.  The pipes are another issue altogether.

the  secret to keeping pipes from freezing is to open the faucet just a little to keep water moving through the pipes. I grew up on a dairy farm in Pa where 

it got get below -10 at times, and that is how we kept the pipes from freezing.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I dont think any of us knew about 25% of electricity is from wind turbines here in texas, and they froze. I expect to hear more about this but maybe once we thaw it will be swept under the rug.

I moved here originally from ohio and I too was surprised how cold dallas gets.

Last fall my contractor changed out my outside faucets to a new kind that dont need to be wrapped. Have you considered these? Somehow they drain all the water out so they dont freeze. I guess I'll know friday if they work as advertised or not. 

Lol I am ready to move to florida, had enough of dallas winter. It's not like we have lovely cool summers here either. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think any of us knew about 25% of electricity is from wind turbines here in texas, and they froze. I expect to hear more about this but maybe once we thaw it will be swept under the rug.

I moved here originally from ohio and I too was surprised how cold dallas gets.

Last fall my contractor changed out my outside faucets to a new kind that dont need to be wrapped. Have you considered these? Somehow they drain all the water out so they dont freeze. I guess I'll know friday if they work as advertised or not. 

Lol I am ready to move to florida, had enough of dallas winter. It's not like we have lovely cool summers here either. 

Florida is not as hot as Dallas in the summer, but we have a lot more humidity.

35 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Clear and 70* here. Supposed to be in 60’s tomorrow. Yesterday our high was 86*. 

M8

Welcome back.  

33 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

the  secret to keeping pipes from freezing is to open the faucet just a little to keep water moving through the pipes. I grew up on a dairy farm in Pa where 

it got get below -10 at times, and that is how we kept the pipes from freezing.

I was going to suggest that as well.  

Another old trip I used before the generators, was your hands in the toilet tank water.  Remember, toilet TANK water.  Not the BASIN, the tank.  It's better than no water.😉  At least today many homes should have sanitizer and wipes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

It's a balmy -1 F here. Seems the problem with Texas power grid is they get 25% of the power from wind, and the wind turbines have frozen.

I finally talked to my mom last night about 8 pm, she had had 2 black outs but was finally back up. I tried to tell her how to make calls from the flip phone but in one ear out the other.

My bil went yesterday to check into the hospital for covid. Breathing issues. I knew he should be in the hospital so glad he went. Hope he starts improving. 

One more round of snow tonight, then things start improving.

Glad to hear bil went to hospital.  This virus is not something to mess around with.   How is your sister feeling?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, singinalot said:

Here are a few photos from yesterday

Is the photo, with all the shells, from Sanibel island?  My parents use to have a place on Pine Island, and we would take their boat across to Sanibel, so our kids could find shells. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

Florida is not as hot as Dallas in the summer, but we have a lot more humidity.

I lived year round in boca for over 13 years.it wasnt as hot or as cold as dallas. The sand on the beach got too hot to walk on barefoot was the worst I remember.

I'm looking further north, less people and crowding around cocoa beach. Have a contract on a condo, but seems they do a first right of refusal I might or might not make it thru. I'd like to be a uber ride away from a port.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If they are anything like the ones we use up north they work great as long as the house is heated or kept above freezing.

Turning the handle actually drives a long rod (12" to 18") and stops the flow of water on the warm side of the house.  I've had mine for 20 years and they work just fine in a lot colder temperatures than you are getting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I lived year round in boca for over 13 years.it wasnt as hot or as cold as dallas. The sand on the beach got too hot to walk on barefoot was the worst I remember.

I'm looking further north, less people and crowding around cocoa beach. Have a contract on a condo, but seems they do a first right of refusal I might or might not make it thru. I'd like to be a uber ride away from a port.

We are 45 minutes north of Port Everglades. We always hire a car to the port.  Usually do B2B so its just easier that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Glad to hear bil went to hospital.  This virus is not something to mess around with.   How is your sister feeling?

I havent talked to her, mom has but mostly to their roommate who is staying with her. He says she wouldnt stay in bed and keeps falling. Idk if that means she is having petit mal seizures or what, but she usually doesnt cooperate well. Just hoping she doesnt break bones. Getting information from her is usually not easy. She has days when she cant complete a sentence. When she has a lot of petit mal she thinks she needs to go to the restroom and up and down the whole time, so  not necessarily a sign she is better. But I dont think she is as bad as her husband. Or the roommate would have said. 

I'm probably not getting out until friday unless my parents say they need me.

• Like 1