Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

15 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@Sea DogThank you,Greg. I will share your congratulations with my hubby and I am making a note of the name of the shot, Simvisc in case he needs to consult with an orthopedist.

It seems that weight loss is one of the first things doctors mention for many ailments.

I had a concerning A1C test level of 6.1 that put me in the pre diabetes range.

After consulting a nutritionist in November, I have lost ten pounds so far. My goal is 30. The holidays caused a bit of derailment. But, I am back on her suggested meal plan and hope to have a better test result next week.

I am sure that my joints will also benefit from the plan.

But enough health talk.

Looking forward to reading about cruises, travels, kitchen renovations,grandchildren and sunny beach days- all good things to lift the spirits.

Wishing all a pleasant day !

MJ🙋🏻

The actual injection product name was Durolane. It's just like synvisc just another brand. Synvisc is a hyaluronic acid and works as a gel in the joint.

On the topic of weight loss. My wife had a doctors appointment where they were talking about weight loss. Apparently there is a new diabetes drug called wegovy and it works well with weight loss. The doctor gave a sample to one of his workers and she lost 75 pounds on it. Right now you can't hardly get it because the demand is so high that the manufacturer can't keep up. You might keep an eye out for it.

Cheers keep up the great work.

GPS

• Like 3

For those of you looking to loose weight check out Gina Livy  https://www.ginalivy.com.   I have done 2 rounds of her program and lost 20 pounds, still need at least 10 more but getting there.  She runs 3 12 week programs a year, unfortunately her latest just started a few weeks ago and you need to be there at the beginning.  She runs most of it thru FB so you do need to be a member.  She does daily check in videos and lives, about an hour each, 6 days a week as well as bring in many special guests.  The lives are on Spotify and Apple for anyone to listen to but not the checkins or specifuc program info.  She is a very straight shooter with a bit of "potty mouth" at times.  She relies on mindset a lot and getting your body back in shape and feeding it what it needs, no calorie counting.  A lot of what she says has resonated with me and seems to be working, taking a little break and have been able to maintain even over the holidays.  She does charge for her sessions, $75 CDN, yes she is in Canada, but worth it to me.  Maybe not for everyone but could help some.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know. I suspect I'll just post on this thread like I did on my last cruise. However, being a new class of ship for me maybe I'll start a thread especially since it is heavy on sea days so I'll have time to post. 

Safe travels for this upcoming cruise.

And I am sure you will take the time to get some rest, relaxation and try a drink or two.

Looking forward to wherever you post.

I enjoy your strait forward view with pictures and dialogue.

Be safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

A frustration of completing my studies is that I no longer have access to the university library,

My son went through the same "problem" when he finished his BA and MA studies at the University 5 mins walk from our home. He started writing articles and needed the library. It turns out that they allow former alumni to continue using the library services, you just need to leave a security deposit. In his case -- an open cheque of 150$.

Might try to ask about this option?

I did not know that video recording was such a recent research tool.  It is what I used.  I videotaped therapy sessions of 15 children I was working with and analysed them.  

At the time, it was not accepted as a research tool. She had to go through several "hoops", including an authorization of the Helsinki committee... since it was deemed "trials on human beings"...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you for your comments and yes I will keep you updated if I go ahead with some of the other treatments. So far the Simvisc is starting to kick in and my pain has dissipated. My brother also said weight loss is crucial to having less pain as the joints don't have to carry as much weight. I've already lost 40 pounds but I really would like to lose another 50. We will see. Congratulations on your husband's weight loss. I am sure he feels a lot better. I know I did after my initial 40. Keep up the great work.

Cheers!

Greg

I had Synvisc 20 years ago in my nonreplaced knee, and so far, so good, believe it or not!

I was hoping to postpone a replacement, and it worked!

Hoping I didn’t just jinx myself!

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I had Synvisc 20 years ago in my nonreplaced knee, and so far, so good, believe it or not!

That's fantastic! I can only hope my injection will last that long.

40 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Speaking of losing weight, I just had my annual check up and I have lost 20 pounds since my last visit.  I think it is from eating a lot less ice-cream. I wasn't really trying to lose but thankful I did. 

I bet if I cut out chips I could do the same. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

You saying that made me just realize that is something else I haven't been eating, chips.  I love making my own chip dip.  I also rarely order fries anymore.  It all wasn't really a planned thing. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Thanks for the info

44 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's fantastic! I can only hope my injection will last that long.

I'll be interested in following how you fair with this shot.  I just looked up Synvisc and it seems completely different from the steroid shot I got.  My shot worked quickly but stopped working about a month after getting it. 

The next time I talk to my doctor I'll be mentioning this drug.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I don’t know if you can get these where you are but I tried these and they are the best chips I’ve ever eaten. So good.

49AF4E84-9BE9-4A83-AB23-6153E25012F7.thumb.jpeg.8c00dc515bae6aae261f28559712bd6b.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks for the info

I'll be interested in following how you fair with this shot.  I just looked up Synvisc and it seems completely different from the steroid shot I got.  My shot worked quickly but stopped working about a month after getting it. 

My doctor brother says that steroid shots can actually accelerate arthritis the more you get. That’s why he prefers Synvisc and other hyaluronic acid injections.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/17/2023 at 2:38 AM, John&LaLa said:

Laura is looking for some new thrillers to read. She likes series

I'll quote some of the series in the list compiled awhile ago [my personal marked in red] --

JD Robb "In death" 

Georges Simenon Series 

Gideon Oliver -Aaron  Elkins  series 

Louise Penny’s Gamache series.

The Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell 

Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley Series. 

Donna Leon’s Brunetti series. 

Any books by Tana French

Any books by P. D. James 

JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter series), writing under the name Robert Galbraith -- the Cormoran Strike series.

Helen Fields -- the Perfect series.

Karin Slaughter -- the Will Trent series

Daniel Silva - Gabriel Allon series

Janet Evanovich—Stephanie Plum series.  Fox and Hare series.

Ian Rankin’s Rebus series

Peter Robinson’s DCI Banks series

Nevada Barr’s National Parks series

Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters

John Sandford , the Prey series and the Virgil Flowers series

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks for the info

Synvisc treatment is not related to steroid shots in any way. I've seem some people do really well with it. Not every one gets the same results, however. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I don’t know if you can get these where you are but I tried these and they are the best chips I’ve ever eaten. So good.

49AF4E84-9BE9-4A83-AB23-6153E25012F7.thumb.jpeg.8c00dc515bae6aae261f28559712bd6b.jpeg

My doctor brother says that steroid shots can actually accelerate arthritis the more you get. That’s why he prefers Synvisc and other hyaluronic acid injections.

I got one steroid shot.  Doc said it could last up to 2 years. He said that I could have up to 4 a year.  It lasted a month.  When it wore off it seemed the pain was worse than before so I haven't gone back for a more.  

I'm trying to lose weight, I'm taking Glucosamine.  I have bought the best brace I can, keeping it wrapped whenever I'm doing anything of significance. I'm finding that I am doing all normal activities without limping or major pain anymore.  Things like extended Costco trips were always troublesome.  I imagine the hard concrete floor was what caused the problem.  Now they are no problem.  I haven't lost enough weight for it to make a difference so its either the brace or the Glucosamine or a combination of the two but so far so good.  

I've managed to ski twice this year.  Both times I did so without any significant pain.  Of course my skiing is more limited now.  I stick to groomed intermediate runs and steer clear of all the advanced and expert terrain.   It sad but at least it lets me keep skiing.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Synvisc treatment is not related to steroid shots in any way. I've seem some people do really well with it. Not every one gets the same results, however. 

That's what my brother said also. He said results vary to everyone.

Just now, Tree_skier said:

I got one steroid shot.  Doc said it could last up to 2 years. He said that I could have up to 4 a year.  It lasted a month.  When it wore off it seemed the pain was worse than before so I haven't gone back for a more.  

I'm trying to lose weight, I'm taking Glucosamine.  I have bought the best brace I can, keeping it wrapped whenever I'm doing anything of significance. I'm finding that I am doing all normal activities without limping or major pain anymore.  Things like extended Costco trips were always troublesome.  I imagine the hard concrete floor was what caused the problem.  Now they are no problem.  I haven't lost enough weight for it to make a difference so its either the brace or the Glucosamine or a combination of the two but so far so good.  

I've managed to ski twice this year.  Both times I did so without any significant pain.  Of course my skiing is more limited now.  I stick to groomed intermediate runs and steer clear of all the advanced and expert terrain.   It sad but at least it lets me keep skiing.

With a knee replacement I am worried about even to try and ski. Last time I went I stuck to groomed intermediate trails as well. My days skiing black diamond moguls are over sadly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks Doc,  I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing now and hope I continue to see the improvement I need.  When I check my cost estimator on healthcare app it list as unavailable so perhaps my healthcare provider doesn't do it so it might be a moot point.  I imagine it's really expensive if you are paying out of pocket and without a guarantee of success I'd probably steer clear.  

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

With a knee replacement I am worried about even to try and ski. Last time I went I stuck to groomed intermediate trails as well. My days skiing black diamond moguls are over sadly.

Yeah, getting old sucks!  I'm hoping I can keep going for a few more years on the slopes.  I know those days are numbered.  

• Like 4

We're back after a night spent in a hotel near Old Jaffa, celebrating our golden wedding anniversary (and DH's b'day BTW) with a dinner with dear old friends.

After a lot of time spent on researching for the right hotel, we decided to remain "locally". The hotels I've researched in Jerusalem were in the range of 700-800$ per night, with a check in at 3PM and check out at 11AM. Or, as DH said, every breath we'll take will cost us a dollar...

Especially, we wanted an historic hotel, like the King David, where all the US presidents visiting are booked. And King David wasn't even the costliest one.

My BFF and her DH [on the right side] celebrated theirs a year and a half ago at an 5* hotel [paid for by their kids] and suggested to check the rates, even if we knew they're over the top.... and we were pleasantly surprised to find a "winter mid-week deal" for a "mere" 342$ a night [the cheapest basic room], with a check out at noon!!! Hurray !!!

Their stay included a meal at the hotel restaurant, which we decided to enjoy too. My BFF, her DH and my BFF's 3rd cousin, who was actually "responsible" for our meeting, were to join us for dinner. With the cousin I go back to my early days at the new immigrants school, and he took my under his wings.

We started the celebrations with an Eggs Benedict b'fast at our "to go to" establishment right on the Med beach. We were really blessed with wonderful weather. You can see old Jaffa in the background.

image.thumb.jpeg.f40c1e707f3415c1c7fc2ec4bf2d0f9f.jpeg

Christmas and Hanukka are still on....

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9a4b733582d2e9acd121c2615c4344.jpeg

Then, after a few mins drive, we arrived at our hotel. Pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to their best room, with a balcony and with a sea view [I might have mentioned our golden ann. when I've booked by phone directly with the hotel...]

It is a very old neighborhood, and the building (150 years old) was completely renovated. We strolled around, DH took lots of pics, and... it was time for dinner. 

The meal itself was quite disappointing, I really can't understand all the mixing of weird ingredients one with another. Some of our dishes were quickly replaced, and the crew were very attentive to the 6 of us. We stayed over 3 hours, and the time went by quickly. At the evening end, I've told hubby that I should be disappointed and a bit sad that the meal was sub-par, but I was not, since the ambiance and dialogue between us, so old friends, was amazing.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6b2a065893a1ca9fb71e0a366b56c8f.jpeg

OTOH, the b'fast this morning [supplied by the same in-site restaurant] was excellent, and, again, we choose Eggs Benedict.

We checked out, left our trolley, and took a leisurely stroll through the Old lanes of Jaffa, enjoying the sunshine.

A suspended tree --

image.thumb.jpeg.a4ab099f713d494897b9082cbd09d9a4.jpeg

Just look at the sea....

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c8d89dec3ae0fc1168971145f2bf91.jpeg

I want to thank you again to for the good wishes on the occasion of our double celebration 🙏

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We're back after a night spent in a hotel near Old Jaffa, celebrating our golden wedding anniversary (and DH's b'day BTW) with a dinner with dear old friends.

After a lot of time spent on researching for the right hotel, we decided to remain "locally". The hotels I've researched in Jerusalem were in the range of 700-800$ per night, with a check in at 3PM and check out at 11AM. Or, as DH said, every breath we'll take will cost us a dollar...

Especially, we wanted an historic hotel, like the King David, where all the US presidents visiting are booked. And King David wasn't even the costliest one.

My BFF and her DH [on the right side] celebrated theirs a year and a half ago at an 5* hotel [paid for by their kids] and suggested to check the rates, even if we knew they're over the top.... and we were pleasantly surprised to find a "winter mid-week deal" for a "mere" 342$ a night [the cheapest basic room], with a check out at noon!!! Hurray !!!

Their stay included a meal at the hotel restaurant, which we decided to enjoy too. My BFF, her DH and my BFF's 3rd cousin, who was actually "responsible" for our meeting, were to join us for dinner. With the cousin I go back to my early days at the new immigrants school, and he took my under his wings.

We started the celebrations with an Eggs Benedict b'fast at our "to go to" establishment right on the Med beach. We were really blessed with wonderful weather. You can see old Jaffa in the background.

image.thumb.jpeg.f40c1e707f3415c1c7fc2ec4bf2d0f9f.jpeg

Christmas and Hanukka are still on....

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9a4b733582d2e9acd121c2615c4344.jpeg

Then, after a few mins drive, we arrived at our hotel. Pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to their best room, with a balcony and with a sea view [I might have mentioned our golden ann. when I've booked by phone directly with the hotel...]

It is a very old neighborhood, and the building (150 years old) was completely renovated. We strolled around, DH took lots of pics, and... it was time for dinner. 

The meal itself was quite disappointing, I really can't understand all the mixing of weird ingredients one with another. Some of our dishes were quickly replaced, and the crew were very attentive to the 6 of us. We stayed over 3 hours, and the time went by quickly. At the evening end, I've told hubby that I should be disappointed and a bit sad that the meal was sub-par, but I was not, since the ambiance and dialogue between us, so old friends, was amazing.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6b2a065893a1ca9fb71e0a366b56c8f.jpeg

OTOH, the b'fast this morning [supplied by the same in-site restaurant] was excellent, and, again, we choose Eggs Benedict.

We checked out, left our trolley, and took a leisurely stroll through the Old lanes of Jaffa, enjoying the sunshine.

A suspended tree --

image.thumb.jpeg.a4ab099f713d494897b9082cbd09d9a4.jpeg

Just look at the sea....

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c8d89dec3ae0fc1168971145f2bf91.jpeg

I want to thank you again to for the good wishes on the occasion of our double celebration 🙏

Happy anniversary Dani. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1