Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I should have stayed and played professionally in Boston

Well, guess we all sort of wonder about that 'road not taken'. Maybe you DID stay in Boston in some parallel universe. Never know. And in yet another perhaps went to Eastman. 🤔 Funny part about my undergrad audition - which I had hoped would be on guitar. The college I went to didn't accept any guitar auditions since it was considered a sort of non-legitimate instrument. Seriously? In 1973?  So I was a clarinet major. Strong Methodist affiliated school. Still is. But rather a parochial attitude about the guitar back then for sure, especially in the days of the jazz / rock fusion bands. Now, probably most college music programs offer a guitar major. Then the other kick in the pants was that I was accepted but the notation indicated "acceptance for music education major only", not performance. Nothing like being humbled before you even get started on the undergrad program! Turned out to be the best thing for me anyway, having gone into public school education. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

Lots of musical people here! I originally majored in music at Baylor University. I auditioned and received a piano scholarship. At the end of my freshman year, I realized piano & music were better as a hobby for me instead of a career, and I eventually ended up in accounting instead. Thankfully, I had qualified for an academic scholarship that I was able to substitute for the music one since I had to give it up!

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 6

@DaniDanielle Marietta- Thank you for the photo of your cute granddaughter. I like her imagination!

When I first saw the photo .

,without your caption,I thought she was accessorizing her school uniform.

Brings me back to parochial school days- both grammar and HS.

My friends and I always added to the “look” with accessories- all within the guidelines, of course !😉

Edited by MJSailors
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@dani negreanu Dani- You and your hubby looked lovely at your celebration. 

Very glad that you could celebrate with friends and enjoy the hotel. They did the right thing by giving you an upgraded room with a balcony with a sea view.

Wishing you and your dear hubby a wonderful 50th year and many more celebrations to come!💐

MJ🙋🏻

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I want to thank you again to for the good wishes on the occasion of our double celebration 🙏

Love the pictures. Looks like a beautiful celebration of your Golden Anniversary.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Lots of musical people here! I originally majored in music at Baylor University. I auditioned and received a piano scholarship. At the end of my freshman year, I realized piano & music were better as a hobby for me instead of a career, and I eventually ended up in accounting instead. Thankfully, I had qualified for an academic scholarship that I was able to substitute for the music one since I had to give it up!

Wow that is so cool. I hope you still play. Even though I don't do it for my main income. I do have a nice little studio upstairs where I can play and produce electronic music. Playing and creating music helps keep me sane. It's my happy place. Here is my little studio.

IMG_3763.thumb.JPG.f4094e5cf0ac550f9b98cffdb5c1809a.JPG

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow that is so cool. I hope you still play. Even though I don't do it for my main income. I do have a nice little studio upstairs where I can play and produce electronic music. Playing and creating music helps keep me sane. It's my happy place. Here is my little studio.

Wow, that's very nice! I have an upright piano, but nothing as fancy as your studio!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I love playing guitar, piano, and singing. I'm just not sure I could pay the bills doing that. 😇

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2023 at 5:38 PM, Luckynana said:

@ReneeFLLBon Voyage tomorrow as you begin your B2B!🛳️

Thanks. I’m in Jamaica today. Haven’t been here in years. Just walked around the port area.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:11 PM, brillohead said:

My Kia Optima doesn't even have a spare tire... it's got a little kit with a can of "fix a flat" in it!

I thought all vehicles came with a spare tire. How well does the fix a flat work?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

On the topic of weight loss. My wife had a doctors appointment where they were talking about weight loss. Apparently there is a new diabetes drug called wegovy and it works well with weight loss. The doctor gave a sample to one of his workers and she lost 75 pounds on it. Right now you can't hardly get it because the demand is so high that the manufacturer can't keep up. You might keep an eye out for it.

And good luck getting your insurance to cover it.... it's an expensive one!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

To all the Bucee's fans here. Made a stop there earlier today and was Wowed. Never seen anything like it. And the bathrooms were great. Food....omg what to get! Thanks everyone who recommended. 

I'm already planning to stop again on my way back to Houston at the end of these cruises!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We're back after a night spent in a hotel near Old Jaffa, celebrating our golden wedding anniversary (and DH's b'day BTW) with a dinner with dear old friends.

After a lot of time spent on researching for the right hotel, we decided to remain "locally". The hotels I've researched in Jerusalem were in the range of 700-800$ per night, with a check in at 3PM and check out at 11AM. Or, as DH said, every breath we'll take will cost us a dollar...

Especially, we wanted an historic hotel, like the King David, where all the US presidents visiting are booked. And King David wasn't even the costliest one.

My BFF and her DH [on the right side] celebrated theirs a year and a half ago at an 5* hotel [paid for by their kids] and suggested to check the rates, even if we knew they're over the top.... and we were pleasantly surprised to find a "winter mid-week deal" for a "mere" 342$ a night [the cheapest basic room], with a check out at noon!!! Hurray !!!

Their stay included a meal at the hotel restaurant, which we decided to enjoy too. My BFF, her DH and my BFF's 3rd cousin, who was actually "responsible" for our meeting, were to join us for dinner. With the cousin I go back to my early days at the new immigrants school, and he took my under his wings.

We started the celebrations with an Eggs Benedict b'fast at our "to go to" establishment right on the Med beach. We were really blessed with wonderful weather. You can see old Jaffa in the background.

image.thumb.jpeg.f40c1e707f3415c1c7fc2ec4bf2d0f9f.jpeg

Christmas and Hanukka are still on....

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9a4b733582d2e9acd121c2615c4344.jpeg

Then, after a few mins drive, we arrived at our hotel. Pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to their best room, with a balcony and with a sea view [I might have mentioned our golden ann. when I've booked by phone directly with the hotel...]

It is a very old neighborhood, and the building (150 years old) was completely renovated. We strolled around, DH took lots of pics, and... it was time for dinner. 

The meal itself was quite disappointing, I really can't understand all the mixing of weird ingredients one with another. Some of our dishes were quickly replaced, and the crew were very attentive to the 6 of us. We stayed over 3 hours, and the time went by quickly. At the evening end, I've told hubby that I should be disappointed and a bit sad that the meal was sub-par, but I was not, since the ambiance and dialogue between us, so old friends, was amazing.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6b2a065893a1ca9fb71e0a366b56c8f.jpeg

OTOH, the b'fast this morning [supplied by the same in-site restaurant] was excellent, and, again, we choose Eggs Benedict.

We checked out, left our trolley, and took a leisurely stroll through the Old lanes of Jaffa, enjoying the sunshine.

A suspended tree --

image.thumb.jpeg.a4ab099f713d494897b9082cbd09d9a4.jpeg

Just look at the sea....

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c8d89dec3ae0fc1168971145f2bf91.jpeg

I want to thank you again to for the good wishes on the occasion of our double celebration 🙏

Happy Golden Dani!  And Happy Birthday to your DH.  Great pics.  I showed my DD the pic of the suspended tree and she was confused.  She was asking why.  We both guessed art. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We're back after a night spent in a hotel near Old Jaffa, celebrating our golden wedding anniversary (and DH's b'day BTW) with a dinner with dear old friends.

After a lot of time spent on researching for the right hotel, we decided to remain "locally". The hotels I've researched in Jerusalem were in the range of 700-800$ per night, with a check in at 3PM and check out at 11AM. Or, as DH said, every breath we'll take will cost us a dollar...

Especially, we wanted an historic hotel, like the King David, where all the US presidents visiting are booked. And King David wasn't even the costliest one.

My BFF and her DH [on the right side] celebrated theirs a year and a half ago at an 5* hotel [paid for by their kids] and suggested to check the rates, even if we knew they're over the top.... and we were pleasantly surprised to find a "winter mid-week deal" for a "mere" 342$ a night [the cheapest basic room], with a check out at noon!!! Hurray !!!

Their stay included a meal at the hotel restaurant, which we decided to enjoy too. My BFF, her DH and my BFF's 3rd cousin, who was actually "responsible" for our meeting, were to join us for dinner. With the cousin I go back to my early days at the new immigrants school, and he took my under his wings.

We started the celebrations with an Eggs Benedict b'fast at our "to go to" establishment right on the Med beach. We were really blessed with wonderful weather. You can see old Jaffa in the background.

image.thumb.jpeg.f40c1e707f3415c1c7fc2ec4bf2d0f9f.jpeg

Christmas and Hanukka are still on....

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9a4b733582d2e9acd121c2615c4344.jpeg

Then, after a few mins drive, we arrived at our hotel. Pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to their best room, with a balcony and with a sea view [I might have mentioned our golden ann. when I've booked by phone directly with the hotel...]

It is a very old neighborhood, and the building (150 years old) was completely renovated. We strolled around, DH took lots of pics, and... it was time for dinner. 

The meal itself was quite disappointing, I really can't understand all the mixing of weird ingredients one with another. Some of our dishes were quickly replaced, and the crew were very attentive to the 6 of us. We stayed over 3 hours, and the time went by quickly. At the evening end, I've told hubby that I should be disappointed and a bit sad that the meal was sub-par, but I was not, since the ambiance and dialogue between us, so old friends, was amazing.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6b2a065893a1ca9fb71e0a366b56c8f.jpeg

OTOH, the b'fast this morning [supplied by the same in-site restaurant] was excellent, and, again, we choose Eggs Benedict.

We checked out, left our trolley, and took a leisurely stroll through the Old lanes of Jaffa, enjoying the sunshine.

A suspended tree --

image.thumb.jpeg.a4ab099f713d494897b9082cbd09d9a4.jpeg

Just look at the sea....

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c8d89dec3ae0fc1168971145f2bf91.jpeg

Lovely photos Dani.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1