Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@HBE4 Is the beach on Sherwood Island (I might have the name wrong).

I have seen the sign for it off if 1-95 near Norwalk CT.

It is another 10 weather day here on Eastern LI.

We have been blessed with these days lately.

Thursday prediction is 90!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

No, I was at the very creatively named Island Beach Park which is run by the town of Greenwich CT.

There is a Sherwood Island beach near the Norwalk/Westport area of CT. My parents used to take us there as kids. I remember the beach as being very rocky and curiously, it is not an island. Go figure,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I do have a bit of good news to share. Tonight is Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals and had the NY Rangers advanced, I'd be attending the game at Madison Square Garden with 3 others. (Playoff tickets are usually sold in advance before knowing if the team will make the next round).  I just got my refund for the 4 tickets I had purchased.

But that's not the good news.

How much was the refund? Well, the good news is that it will pay for my recently booked balcony cabin for a 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure of the Seas.  And the round trip flight to Orlando.

First cruise in 5 years. First solo cruise.  Well, first solo-ish cruise as a group of friends convinced me to join them as well as their friends. So cruising with old friends while making new ones. First time visiting Aruba on a cruise ship (I've vacationed there at least 8-10 times in the past) and first time visiting Curacao and CoCo Cay. No Bonaire but I guess the Bahamas will be the substitute B for ABC islands. 😀

I'm cautiously excited. First cruise without DW, the only person I've ever cruised with (not counting the last one when her daughter joined us), but there will be a large enough group(s) of people to spread myself around & mingle with. And when I need to retreat to the sanctuary of my cabin to process the feelings I know I will have, I won't be impacting anyone else's enjoyment or leaving them high and dry.

So thank you Florida Panthers for knocking the NY Rangers out of the playoffs. An 8 night cruise is a nice substitute for attending one championship game. 😁

Very happy you are going on a cruise! When is your sailing?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Very happy you are going on a cruise! When is your sailing?

Thank you

This August!  Isnt that the best time of year to go deep into the Caribbean?😃

While it seems last minute,  my friends have been talking about it & trying to convince me for well over year now. I had been looking at various other cruises in recent months but this one just felt right.   And being on CC, I've been able to keep up-to-date with all the changes since my last cruise. Plus the people I'm going with are frequent cruisers so I'll be following their lead.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you

While it seems last minute,  my friends have been talking about it & trying to convince me for well over year now. I had been looking at various other cruises in recent months but this one just felt right.   And being on CC, I've been able to keep up-to-date with all the changes since my last cruise. Plus the people I'm going with are frequent cruisers so I'll be following their lead.

We are also going, end of August, on the Wonder.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I do have a bit of good news to share. Tonight is Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals and had the NY Rangers advanced, I'd be attending the game at Madison Square Garden with 3 others. (Playoff tickets are usually sold in advance before knowing if the team will make the next round).  I just got my refund for the 4 tickets I had purchased.

But that's not the good news.

How much was the refund? Well, the good news is that it will pay for my recently booked balcony cabin for a 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure of the Seas.  And the round trip flight to Orlando.

First cruise in 5 years. First solo cruise.  Well, first solo-ish cruise as a group of friends convinced me to join them as well as their friends. So cruising with old friends while making new ones. First time visiting Aruba on a cruise ship (I've vacationed there at least 8-10 times in the past) and first time visiting Curacao and CoCo Cay. No Bonaire but I guess the Bahamas will be the substitute B for ABC islands. 😀

I'm cautiously excited. First cruise without DW, the only person I've ever cruised with (not counting the last one when her daughter joined us), but there will be a large enough group(s) of people to spread myself around & mingle with. And when I need to retreat to the sanctuary of my cabin to process the feelings I know I will have, I won't be impacting anyone else's enjoyment or leaving them high and dry.

So thank you Florida Panthers for knocking the NY Rangers out of the playoffs. An 8 night cruise is a nice substitute for attending one championship game. 😁

Happy to read you’ve found a way to get back to cruising that you feel comfortable with.  Does this mean we might meet you on one of the Bella cruises? 

Yesteday was Andy’s birthday, the big 6-0.  We weren’t able to plan any kind of trip over his birthday weekend due to Jessica’s due date being so close.  We ended up just booking a night at Foxwoods, free with his loyalty card.  They also gave him $150 to use during his birthday month which we used to pay for a nice dinner in their steakhouse.  There was about $25 left if that $150 which he put into a slot machine.  Then this happened:

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.09d5a9e08766ec2dcc26743637f944da.jpeg

A pretty nice birthday weekend I’d say!

I also surprised him by booking a four night trip later this month to his favorite place - yep, Walt Disney World.  We fly down 6/24 and return 6/28, staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time.  We are also flying Breeze Airlines for the first time, they had the best prices and flight times.  

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 26

4 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Happy to read you’ve found a way to get back to cruising that you feel comfortable with.  Does this mean we might meet you on one of the Bella cruises? 

Yesteday was Andy’s birthday, the big 6-0.

I’ll say! What a great birthday present. Glad you got to get out and celebrate.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Yesteday was Andy’s birthday, the big 6-0.  We weren’t able to plan any kind of trip over his birthday weekend due to Jessica’s due date being so close.  We ended up just booking a night at Foxwoods, free with his loyalty card.  They also gave him $150 to use during his birthday month which we used to pay for a nice dinner in their steakhouse.  There was about $25 left if that $150 which he put into a slot machine.  Then this happened:

I also surprised him by booking a four night trip later this month to his favorite place - yep, Walt Disney World.  We fly down 6/24 and return 6/28, staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time.  We are also flying Breeze Airlines for the first time, they had the best prices and flight times.  

What good luck!!!  It was a good bday for sure!  Excited for your Disney trip!

• Like 1

I have not yet quite figured out how to open the balcony windows so the screen doesnt show in pictures. Pretty much awesome day. There is a veterans museum just past my building. And a  ice library of war books. My mom was a civil war fan and I sure wish I could bring here there. 80% change centre of rain and I could see earlier it was raining. And thunder boomers. I caught the tail end and white caps. A lot of boats go by. One looked like a red car..picture shows last of white caps dying down. I'm the dumb dumb who  issed my last cruise, didnt have the right boarding documents. After 20 years I felt so dumb. So seeing the ocean here and its moments is really enjoyable.

The movers last said they think it might be the end of the week before they deliver. The elevator guys said maybe next week they will have finished the new elevator, but probably then they tear out the other one so might  not help.

I bought a bed, chair, and this and that so I could at least stay here. 11 nights in a hotel was enough. What I'm so happy about is someone downstairs bought new night stands. The  movers of these night stands let me have one of the old ones. He took the other. And I got 2 tall cardboard boxes. Now the 2 cardboard boxes have my tvs at eye level. In bed I coukdnt see the tv at all. And the nightstand now I can reach over and grab the tv or bed motion remote. Doesnt sound like much unless you are living off the floor. To change the bed or tv station I had to get out of bed and get the remotes off the floor. My back is tired of be ding to pick things up.

Tonight I can watch tv and see it in bed! I'm  ot sure yet how to open the windows on the balcony, sorry looking thru the screen. Small white caps, but still a new ocean mood. What a  ice thing cardboard boxes this  morning. You can fish from very near, walking distance. Need to pay $30 for a license. I talked to a couple of guys fishing. A disabled teen showed me a picture of a trout he caught 3 or 4 days ago. Also snooker? The troute he said was 20 tom30 lbs, biggest fish he ever caught in his life. Brackish water, some salt water mixed with fresh so a blend of fish very close. 63 acres of lake, long walk still for me but I walked some. 

20240610_151228.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you

I've been on Adventure several times out of both San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale. Had a great time on every one of them. Stop analyzing how you thing you will be feeling. Just go with the flow and take it as it comes. You have friends aboard when you want them and the ability to retreat when, and if, you feel like it.

These days, for various reasons, I mostly cruise solo now and I love it. You might just find that you feel the same. And if for some reason you don't like it, eight days will go by plenty fast enough and then at least you will know if cruising us still right for you. Just enjoy the anticipation.....

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

My part of the island tends to have lower temperatures .We expect the first 90 degree weather 9 days from now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

No, I was at the very creatively named Island Beach Park which is run by the town of Greenwich CT.

There is a Sherwood Island beach near the Norwalk/Westport area of CT. My parents used to take us there as kids. I remember the beach as being very rocky and curiously, it is not an island. Go figure,

My Wife grew up in West Haven.Ct.. keep telling her the Long Island Sound is not a real beach, it's gravel pit. Tell her to come with me where I used to live growing up and I can show her real sand on a Jersey Beach at Long Beach Island. 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We are also going, end of August, on the Wonder.

Ah, okay. Aug 2nd for me. No chance of crossing paths at the pier.  However.....(see below)

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Maybe.😊 There are a few other cruises on my radar & Bella 2.0 IS one of them.  I'm still focused on the August cruise with booking flights, excursions, pre- and post- cruise trips and the age old question of drink package or not? 

But once all of that is settled, I'll start looking down the road further. Let just say that at this moment, there is a better chance of meeting than not meeting. 😇

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've been on Adventure several times out of both San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale. Had a great time on every one of them. Stop analyzing how you thing you will be feeling. Just go with the flow and take it as it comes. You have friends aboard when you want them and the ability to retreat when, and if, you feel like it.

These days, for various reasons, I mostly cruise solo now and I love it. You might just find that you feel the same. And if for some reason you don't like it, eight days will go by plenty fast enough and then at least you will know if cruising us still right for you. Just enjoy the anticipation.....

As always, thank you for your support.

🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

My Wife grew up in West Haven.Ct.. keep telling her the Long Island Sound is not a real beach, it's gravel pit. Tell her to come with me where I used to live growing up and I can show her real sand on a Jersey Beach at Long Beach Island. 🙂

I have not been to Sherwood Island since the 1970's but gravel pit might be an apt description.   The place I was this past weekend had more sand than I expected but was still a bit on the rocky side. I've been to Hammonasset State Park on the eastern side of CT and the beach there seems pretty sandy & decent ocean waves. Make sense since that it where the ocean and LI Sound meet. BTW, why is it called LI Sound and not a LI Bay? I have no idea.

I spent 30 years visiting Long Beach Island as DW family used to rent a house there for 2 weeks each year. I agree, much better sand but also 3+ hour trip for me each way so no can do for a day trip. South Shore of Long Island (the Atlantic Ocean side) is the best I can do for a day trip. Jones Beach or Robert Moses State Park & even that is pushing it to the limit with summer weekend traffic. Hence, I go on weekdays. 🙂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

We also love voyager class sailed them 4 times , 3 from Galveston.

Ocean Boy , how was your day in New York City?

@HBE4 Thank you for the info re:Sherwood Island.

All LISound beaches are rocky.

We have Town beaches on the Sound, but we prefer our neighborhood beach which is on the Peconic Bay.

The sand there  is easier on the feet!

Glad to hear that you are taking a cruise with friends. Wishing you a most enjoyable time!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Edited by MJSailors
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Our first class meal this morning. 

IMG_1294.thumb.jpeg.0d48bb60d0223b991ec20f9be687ce05.jpeg

Well, I see our friend Ocean Boy beat me to it, by just imagining what the folks in economy received.⬇️⬇️⬇️

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can just imagine what the folks in economy received.

You beat me to it, OB!!!!😁 ⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Maybe.😊 There are a few other cruises on my radar & Bella 2.0 IS one of them.  I'm still focused on the August cruise with booking flights, excursions, pre- and post- cruise trips and the age old question of drink package or not? 

But once all of that is settled, I'll start looking down the road further. Let just say that at this moment, there is a better chance of meeting than not meeting. 😇

I'm glad to hear that you will be cruising on Adventure with dear friends of yours this August, HBE!

Good to hear that you do have other cruises on your radar, and that Bella 2.0 is one of them;  know that you have many friends from here who will be cruising on the Wonder.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jim and I spent our morning painting the deck off the kitchen and 3 Season room.  It was a hot and sunny day, so the paint dried quickly enough to give it the two coats.  It helped that our retractable awning provided some shade for almost half of the deck.  So glad it's done!  Last week we power-washed the concrete around the pool.  Pool opening is this Friday, when it's expected to be 90 degrees here.  School gets out next Thursday around here...

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, George C said:

We also love voyager class sailed them 4 times , 3 from Galveston.

Ocean Boy , how was your day in New York City?

It was fun but by the end of the day I was ready to come home. I can only deal with all the people for just so long.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yes!  I'd love to meet my Rockland County connection in person!  I am so glad to hear you're going on your first cruise in a while.  Others have said it best.  Good to be with friends and good to be alone when needed.  

BTW a friend of mine has a house on LBI.  @Sunshine3601 Debbie doesn't know them.  I won't post their last name but they're Stacie and Ken from Rockland County; 3 children, grown now with kids of their own.  She's an interior designer, he had or has a furniture business.  I think they're in their 60s. That's all I'm willing to post. 🤐

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

That is where we catch the Metro North RR to go into NYC.

• Like 1

Dodged a bullet today (not literally) as I was summoned for jury duty tomorrow. I was concerned in that I have my MRI with sedation this Friday and was worried about getting out of serving if it was a long trial. Luckily I got an email that I’ve been excused and there will be no jury selection tomorrow. Parties must have settled is what Linda thinks.

Installed some more low voltage flaming tiki lights along our hosta bed. Tiki patio is almost done and I will post some pictures. I was feeling pretty good about my tiki patio until I saw this video from a FB group I belong to called backyard tiki bars. Check out this setup.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1